Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

... fair point, but I'd figure "roadside rescue" would also be carrying some basic tools, a booster pack, a compressor, a gas can...

I guess if you're gonna be carrying a used gas can in the trunk, a convertible is pretty ideal.. at least that way you're not choking on the fumes.

I remember awhile back Allstate was running radio ads hiring people to handle basic service calls (on-call, but I don't remember if they were W2 or 1099). Wonder what happened with that program..

e: huh, it's still around. Some postings on the uberpeople.net forums suggest the providers get a whopping $17 per call-out, with an extra $8 for fuel calls, though at least Allstate provides a jack and jump pack.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterhigh/2017/10/23/allstate-technology-chief-develops-the-uber-of-roadside-assistance/#2653b82348b7

8 digit revenue lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

A 2-inch flake of paint came off my W124's valve cover and it is irritating the poo poo out of me as the rest is perfect. I can't find a matching high temp paint. Can I get away with a splash of regular paint or is that stupid? If i have to I'll take it off and repaint it, but :effort:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

... fair point, but I'd figure "roadside rescue" would also be carrying some basic tools, a booster pack, a compressor, a gas can...

I'm betting you can carefully fit all of that in the trunk of a Miata, especially if you stick to the smaller jacks.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 6, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's old, hard gunk, you might have your work cut out for you. But small spiral gun-cleaning brushes and good degreaser are probably a good place to start.

I've found a basic domestic steamcleaner with a narrow nozzle can be very good for blowing through small nooks and crannies, too.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

2004 Scion xB. Front lower ball joints. I pick up new ones tomorrow AM. Any tips for getting them free from the control arm? I have a ball joint separator, which got it loose at the top but not sure if that will work for the control arm housing.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any recommendations for a low profile jack stand? I bought two from Harbor Freight and it seems too high (even at the lowest) setting for my two Toyotas. The other thing is the car jack stand points are pinch welds. Any jackstands exist which will account for these so they dont get bent?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Revvik posted:

2004 Scion xB. Front lower ball joints. I pick up new ones tomorrow AM. Any tips for getting them free from the control arm? I have a ball joint separator, which got it loose at the top but not sure if that will work for the control arm housing.

You need a ball joint press. Its a different tool.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Revvik posted:

Can't really tell from the picture, but is the axle right above the ball joint or is there a straight shot between upper and lower?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It’s right above. There’s very little room between the joint and the castle nut.

E: when the top half is pressed out, that leaves way more room to maneuver though, and with the separator I can do that much.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It may be easier to just replace the control arms. That way you're getting new bushings and new ball joints, and everything just bolts on instead of having to press poo poo in/out.

Costs a bit more, but you save a lot of time, and if you don't already have a tool to remove the ball joint....

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Revvik posted:

It’s right above. There’s very little room between the joint and the castle nut.

E: when the top half is pressed out, that leaves way more room to maneuver though, and with the separator I can do that much.

Ah poo poo, I think I misread. It's already broke free of the taper in the knuckle and you're asking about getting the joint pressed out of the arm, yeah? I'll second Yugi on this one. Have you priced out the whole arm?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ah poo poo, I think I misread. It's already broke free of the taper in the knuckle and you're asking about getting the joint pressed out of the arm, yeah? I'll second Yugi on this one. Have you priced out the whole arm?

Well the bushing is $17. The control arm with bushing is $115-145, I forget.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

rdb posted:

You need a ball joint press. Its a different tool.

And a vastly superior tool.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Ball joint press:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9O_cOB2MTI

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

Oh boy I had a good time with one of those a couple months ago. Male sure to ise the right size cup I bent the poo poo out of the tool cranking down on a too small/adapter

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
87 Mazda B2000 with a Weber carb and brand new battery -- last night it started stalling out when I had the headlights on and pushed in the clutch to come to a stop, usually when the brakes were depressed. Sometimes it wouldn't stall but I could hear it struggling to maintain idle, like it would go up and down until I gave it some more gas. I've never had this issue before and definitely not without the headlights on. Unfortunately work has me coming in really early and staying late so I'm out of daylight and can't drive it without the headlights until this weekend.

Looking over some stuff last night some things I've found to check are:
1. Making sure it has proper pressure from the fuel pump, not too high (>3.5psi apparently) or low (I've got a new one I might toss in since I think I've got the original on it and the level in the filter seems low)
2. Cleaning the idle circuit (probably will be done regardless since the truck is a filthy filthy truck)
3. Checking the brake booster for leaks

Anyone else have any ideas? Any advice for the fuel pump pressure thing on gauges or regulators?

The alternator checks out on voltage (checked it the other day during daylight and it was reading 14.4V at idle and last night with the headlights on it was 13.9v) but it's also probably original so is there any chance it could not be supplying enough current or something draining it and causing a problem? I don't know what happens in that situation.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parts Kit posted:

87 Mazda B2000 with a Weber carb and brand new battery -- last night it started stalling out when I had the headlights on and pushed in the clutch to come to a stop, usually when the brakes were depressed...

Sometimes, there's a check valve on the brake booster vacuum hose, at either end. If it goes bad, your symptoms arise.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

2008 Pontiac G6 GT convertible 3.8L

Leaking something orange, and seems to only happen after running the A/C. It almost looks like just regular water condensation, but it's a tad oily and orange-ish (see pictures below).

Recent work done:
a) Replaced the entire oil gasket system in February ($3,000) - this was both front and rear main seals, head cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and more!
b) Replaced the transmission in June ($3,000)
c) Replaced Power Steering Pump
d) Replaced o-ring thing on some pipe dealing w/ the air conditioner (leaking)

How much will this poo poo cost?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That looks like antifreeze. Were they still using dexcool? That's orange.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Godholio posted:

That looks like antifreeze. Were they still using dexcool? That's orange.

I *think* it's coolant (and the coolant level is low), but I'm an idiot so I wanted to be sure (and am still nervous after having so much work done on the car this year). Hopefully it's just a hose replacement and not a complete radiator replacement :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What does it smell like

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

What does it smell like

kind of like burnt or dirty? I don't know - it smells like the way the engine bay smells after the car has been running.

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 26, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Those resevoirs like to crack where sensors and hoses enter especially if its been moved around a lot. In some cars the sensors leak and then water travels down the wire into the harness or around it so it kinda obscures where its coming from. I dont know if that whats going on but its easy to check just by feeling around and wiggling stuff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dexcool usually leaves orange goo poo poo everywhere, so it's worth a look underneath.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Dexcool usually leaves orange goo poo poo everywhere, so it's worth a look underneath.

I took it to a shop this afternoon. Hopefully it's something inexpensive.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Is upgrading my 2012 accord's lovely headlights to this a terrible coffee-can-exhaust-tier idea? Is there a better choice? I have OEM HIDs on my Odyssey now and they're great. Driving the accord at night feels like I'm using my iphone flashlight to see on unlit county roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgRmdkJuKXM

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I've got a 2008 Ford Fusion with about 85,000 miles on it, Check Engine light comes on, I take it to Pep Boys. Pep Boys has reported back that it had error codes PO841 (transmission is hosed up) and PO128 (thermostat is hosed up), quoted me an estimate of $900 to fix the thermostat thing, and said they don't do transmissions and I'd need to find someplace that does to even get an estimate. My response was to tell them to do nothing and that it's new car time; the Fusion's only worth $3000 or so and if that $900 is fair it's already bumping the limits of what I'm willing to spend before declaring it throwing good money after bad, and transmissions aren't cheap.

I just wanted to run that decision by people who aren't car morons: New Car Time is the right call here, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Take it somewhere else, it's probably just a thermostat and a transmission sensor.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

So I've got a 2008 Ford Fusion with about 85,000 miles on it, Check Engine light comes on, I take it to Pep Boys. Pep Boys has reported back that it had error codes PO841 (transmission is hosed up) and PO128 (thermostat is hosed up), quoted me an estimate of $900 to fix the thermostat thing, and said they don't do transmissions and I'd need to find someplace that does to even get an estimate. My response was to tell them to do nothing and that it's new car time; the Fusion's only worth $3000 or so and if that $900 is fair it's already bumping the limits of what I'm willing to spend before declaring it throwing good money after bad, and transmissions aren't cheap.

I just wanted to run that decision by people who aren't car morons: New Car Time is the right call here, right?

$900 to replace a thermostat seems absurdly high. Just what were they going to do for that? Replacing a thermostat should run about $200-250. There has to be a lot more than a thermostat going on.

The transmission code could be due to low or dirty fluid. It would be worthwhile to get it checked out.

I guess if you don't like the car and want to get a new one, this is a good excuse to do it. Personally, I'd fix it and dump it at the next round of big repairs but that's me.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Followed thread advice. Rented a ball joint press. Was successful. Thanks thread! Rides much better now.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

PainterofCrap posted:

Sometimes, there's a check valve on the brake booster vacuum hose, at either end. If it goes bad, your symptoms arise.
Thanks! Forgot about that possibility. Do you think if the vehicle was stationary and I pumped the brakes hard it might be enough to help confirm that possibility?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

$900 to replace a thermostat seems absurdly high. Just what were they going to do for that? Replacing a thermostat should run about $200-250. There has to be a lot more than a thermostat going on.

$250 :stare:

The most expensive thermostat I've ever purchased was $25 and took almost 5 whole minutes to replace, requiring a single socket, a screwdriver, and a pair of pliers.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Depending on your engine the 08 fusion thermostat can be as low as like $4 and that is not an $896 job to replace.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parts Kit posted:

Thanks! Forgot about that possibility. Do you think if the vehicle was stationary and I pumped the brakes hard it might be enough to help confirm that possibility?

If you're sitting still, in Neutral, with a decent idle, and you pump the brakes repeatedly & the idle goes wonky & the engine is like to die...then, yeah. That would do it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Godholio posted:

$250 :stare:

The most expensive thermostat I've ever purchased was $25 and took almost 5 whole minutes to replace, requiring a single socket, a screwdriver, and a pair of pliers.

Mine was $20 (AutoZone; OEM was $80, which even made the dealer parts counter guy say "WHY THE gently caress IS IT SO EXPENSIVE?"), and took about an hour... mostly because it was nowhere near where it was supposed to be, and I didn't have a wobble adapter. One of those bolts was an absolute bitch to get at with a wrench, and there was no getting a socket on it.

I have a feeling that's where I'm losing coolant from now (I really couldn't snug that bolt down very well), but I still don't have a wobble joint, and it's leaking little enough that I don't care a whole lot yet.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

PuTTY riot posted:

Is upgrading my 2012 accord's lovely headlights to this a terrible coffee-can-exhaust-tier idea? Is there a better choice? I have OEM HIDs on my Odyssey now and they're great. Driving the accord at night feels like I'm using my iphone flashlight to see on unlit county roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgRmdkJuKXM

They're not road legal, i think, and you can get them for like 50 bucks on amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I always laugh when those guys show off how great their headlights are by shining them point blank on a wall. Cause that's where you need to see, right, up close?

Most if not all aftermarket headlight "upgrade" kits have lovely beam patterns that spray tons of light up in the air (blinding oncoming drivers), down onto the road (lighting up the grey asphalt and ruining your night vision) and off to the sides (where your car isn't about to be), without actually lighting up directly ahead (you know, where the obstacles are?) any better than stock headlights. Without rigorous testing under identical conditions, photographed with identical exposure settings, I wouldn't dare trust any makers' claims about "10x better illumination" or whatever.

Get a set of high-performance halogens, like Phillips Extreme Power, and be done with it.

Side note: "DOT APPROVED" just means the physical bulbs meet the size/connector specification to be labeled 9006 or whatever, it absolutely does not mean any regulatory agency has approved the kit for road use.