Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Does anyone know of a good external battery that doesn't turn off? Just continuously charges or turns back on by itself? This is for a vehicle GPS tracker. I have a couple great large capacity batteries but they turn themselves off once the device is full and you have to press a button to get them to start charging again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Any reason to just not wire in a permanent on 12v to usb power supply into your car? I assume you need usb power.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

everdave posted:

Does anyone know of a good external battery that doesn't turn off? Just continuously charges or turns back on by itself? This is for a vehicle GPS tracker. I have a couple great large capacity batteries but they turn themselves off once the device is full and you have to press a button to get them to start charging again.

My Anker 20100 keeps things full

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

Separate small lead acid battery with split charge controller.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Sadi posted:

Any reason to just not wire in a permanent on 12v to usb power supply into your car? I assume you need usb power.

Just don't want to splice into the new car yet especially since I just got this tracker and I don't know how reliable it will be.

DICK DICER posted:

My Anker 20100 keeps things full

I know Anker is good stuff. It doesn't auto shut off and have to be "turned back on"? Will go read reviews right now.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

everdave posted:

Just don't want to splice into the new car yet especially since I just got this tracker and I don't know how reliable it will be.

Look up "add-a-circuit", it plugs into a fuse in your fuse box and has a short length of wire running out of it that you can tie into. Two fuse slots on top - one for the fuse you're hijacking in the box and another for the device being powered.

Then the negative leg of the 12v to USB can be grounded to any screw attached to metal under the dash.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Geoj posted:

Look up "add-a-circuit", it plugs into a fuse in your fuse box and has a short length of wire running out of it that you can tie into. Two fuse slots on top - one for the fuse you're hijacking in the box and another for the device being powered.

Then the negative leg of the 12v to USB can be grounded to any screw attached to metal under the dash.

I will, thanks! So far this isn't looking so great, it loses cell connection in my office. If it won't auto connect again once outside then it will be worthless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dad looks so frail.

I just spent 20 minutes hiding in the hospital restroom pulling myself together.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

Dad looks so frail.

I just spent 20 minutes hiding in the hospital restroom pulling myself together.

Everyone looks like poo poo in a hospital bed, moreso when they've had an op of any kind.

Go and look him in the eyes and you'll see that he's still in there. Mirrors of the soul and all that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bike people:

Likely going to be getting an Orange P7S when the 2018 model comes out, standard fork is a Rockshox Revelation RC, but there's an option to upgrade to a Fox 34 Performance. Thoughts?

My fitness is nowhere near enough to take advantage of it at present, but I still have the voucher payout from my insurance claim earlier this year that needs to be used, so I'm kind of sorting something out ahead of my intended schedule.

Suggestions for MTBs in the £2kish bracket are welcome, but a do-everything steel hardtail probably suits my I-remember-when-all-this-was-barends-and-anodised-purple :corsair: tendencies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

Everyone looks like poo poo in a hospital bed, moreso when they've had an op of any kind.

Go and look him in the eyes and you'll see that he's still in there. Mirrors of the soul and all that.

Yup, as soon as he woke up he looked full of life. They took him off all assists except a chest drain. Doc says he's doing great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm officially an old.

I was talking to my cousin and he was telling me how his daughter has 25k followers on Musical.ly. I said "that's a ton, but I don't know what Musical.ly is."

My 8 year old daughter was aghast and exclaimed "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT MUSICAL.LY is?!?!?!?"

At that moment, I lost some of the respect my daughter had for me, since I didn't know what it was.

:smith:

My son lost respect for me when he asked me what I would do if someone offered me a new Bugatti Veyron for free.

I said I'd drive it around for a week or two then sell it :v:

His reaction was pretty funny WHYYYYYYYYYYYY :cry:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My son lost respect for me when he asked me what I would do if someone offered me a new Bugatti Veyron for free.

I'd do the same, the "supercar" slot then being filled with an XJ220.

Though if someone wants to give me the money for an F1...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

I don't know if I'd drive it for a week. gently caress that. Sell it for a house and a half mil worth of cars I actually want.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would drive it around just for him to enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn't give a poo poo.

I'd sell it and immediately buy a house on the beach.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Dad looks so frail.

Jesus Christ that is the worst.
I could barely take seeing my Grandad in the hospital after surgery to repair a hole in his diaphragm. Several of his organs had traversed the hole and were collapsing a lung, so they had to move those back, as well. Organs do not like to be handled. He was so frail and helpless, and I'd literally never seen him like that. He was a farmer/rancher, as well as working a cargo loading dock for much of his life, so was always the strong, lean, hardy guy. It was really tough to take.
I don't like hospitals on the best of days. That... was not the best of days.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's where you have to teach him TCO. Even if someone gives you a thing, what about the cost to keep and maintain the thing?
Just look at the folks who one the million-dollar home from whatever home show that was. They couldn't afford to pay the taxes and upkeep.
Also, what ilkhan said.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Putting that thing on the road increases the probability of it being in an auto accident from nearly 0% to a relatively high likelihood

No way would I take it on the road

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well that's not a very AI thing for you to say now is it :colbert:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

everdave posted:

I have a RAVPower and an Anker battery pack. One of them turns off eventually and one does not. I think the anker is the one that shuts off and the RAVPower one does not. This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-220...ywords=ravpower

It's solid and has always worked for me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My anker 26800 does not shut off, even for days, as long as there's a draw on it. If the draw stops, it goes to standby, but starts up again when a device attempts to draw.

I have a USB plasma globe that draws around 80mA, and the power bank ran it for days without turning off.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Automotive Senility: The IRL Old Dads Forum *flicks portfolio @ u*

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Plz make this happen tia

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m the youngest poster itt

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

maybe physically

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hmm. Running into major imposter syndrome poo poo trying to make me not do things (like try to buy a dyno) and it's a pain in the rear end. I'm sitting here looking at an auction for a dyno water brake and... I have a data acquisition system and can build control valves and all the supporting infrastructure but ... if it's that easy why doesn't everyone build dynos?

I dunno; I almost feel like I need to be around "normal" car people more or something; I've lost all perspective on things. Like, legitimately had a "... well at that price why don't you just do it yourself on a lathe?" thing crop up. Apparently most people don't have lathes and mills of their own?

Doesn't really have a point just mildly wigging out. I'm alternating between "holy hell I could legitimately do a side business here" and "... no there is no unique thing that I can do that people will pay money for" and it's annoying.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

You younger guys will be there soon enough, then we can laugh when our kids are out of the house and we have the cool projects :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

maybe physically

I think most of us still have hair though... unlike Youngest Poster ITT. :v:

(please don't kill me TT)

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm 21 lol, I just don't post much (mostly because I'm broke as gently caress and had to get rid of my car)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What would be a fair price to pay for a red FD RX-7 in fair condition, owned as a weekend car, that was maintained sporadically? The catch is it belongs to an ex-girlfriend's dad who I'd have to get in touch with.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ok I am not The Youngest Poster

drat

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hmm. Running into major imposter syndrome poo poo trying to make me not do things (like try to buy a dyno) and it's a pain in the rear end. I'm sitting here looking at an auction for a dyno water brake and... I have a data acquisition system and can build control valves and all the supporting infrastructure but ... if it's that easy why doesn't everyone build dynos?

I dunno; I almost feel like I need to be around "normal" car people more or something; I've lost all perspective on things. Like, legitimately had a "... well at that price why don't you just do it yourself on a lathe?" thing crop up. Apparently most people don't have lathes and mills of their own?

Doesn't really have a point just mildly wigging out. I'm alternating between "holy hell I could legitimately do a side business here" and "... no there is no unique thing that I can do that people will pay money for" and it's annoying.
You cast your own heads and have stacks of old rotaries lying around. You are far from normal, KJ.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Speaking of building your own stuff I just picked up all the supplies to build a tv stand

:smuggo:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been browsing CL, looking for a bad decision.

My heart just ain't in it.

Every day I've driven in the last two weeks, I've encountered some idiot on the roads doing something dangerous or hazardous to other drivers. It's just so goddamned exhausting and it makes me ashamed to call myself an auto enthusiast.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

On the phone to my broadband supplier yesterday because the router is being flaky as balls and being dragged through the mandatory checklist she gets to questions about where it's sited, being in mind it's not moved in the 2 years I've owned it.
"Is it near any glass?"
"It's a couple of feet from a window but there's physically nothing between the router and the devices that keep dropping signal"
"Well over time glass will drain the WiFi signal "
I stayed silent because otherwise I'd have sworn. Later when explaining how I couldn't plug my phone into the router by Ethernet cable to get a stable signal and how if WiFi didn't work then from my point of view I had no product she just hung up on me.

So I rang back and spoke to someone new, lodged a complaint and got talked through separating the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels, which I knew wouldn't help as none of the phones or tablets in the house have 5ghz.

As soon as this contract runs out I'm switching suppliers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like I get to meet my new downstairs neighbor a bit sooner than I expected.

Just went out to my car and found a nice scrape on the door, with paint transfer that matches their front bumper. :argh: At least the whole plastic body panel thing means it's just paint, no bodywork, but it's through the clearcoat. :fuckoff:

Well poo poo, just looked at their car again, their bumper is too high to have done this (similar color though). Guess it happened at work and I didn't notice until I went outside a few minutes ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 26, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Looks like I get to meet my new downstairs neighbor a bit sooner than I expected.

Just went out to my car and found a nice scrape on the door, with paint transfer that matches their front bumper. :argh: At least the whole plastic body panel thing means it's just paint, no bodywork, but it's through the clearcoat. :fuckoff:

I'm pretty sure you just need to start driving bumper cars.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Why do you think I drive a plastic paneled Saturn? :v:

Just went out and looked at their car though, their bumper is way too high to have caused it... I guess someone popped it at work in a similarly-colored car.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Cage posted:

the gently caress is musical.ly?

Never heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It is really frustrating I know exactly how stupid the trigger is right now for my poo poo mood today and I still cant do anything about other than snarl at humans. Mental health really can be so frustrating esp when you know what sets you off but.... it happens anyway.

gently caress this poo poo Im going to take it out on some unsuspecting iron at the gym

• Locked thread