Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

30.5 Days posted:

By the way, 5.3 is coming sometime in the next month. No release date yet, but the update is being tested internally- among the things being added:

- Archetypes are being split into race and class finally. Cleric will be in, the fae and elken races will be in. Racial disciplines will be in. The assassin will I guess not be in after all- the tech to determine backstabs won't be ready for 5.3. Also alt-gender versions of most existing races. They've also added the elken cleric race/class combo.

Are Elken and the guineapigs only men? That's what the chart they posted about races/classes seemed to infer.

And "The Shadow" definitely sounds like the sort of game I'd like to play. Shadowbane during Beta, basically. If the Godswar servers are "set things" can you still destroy enemy forts and cities and whatever or is it specifically just "this is here and someone captures it"?

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I believe what they said was that there was no difference in how male and females looked so you are basically whatever you want to be.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shadowbane beta was the best MMO PvP I've ever encountered, healer-channeler supremacy notwithstanding. I am hoping that's where we end up here, even (especially?) if it means the meta changes every patch as they flail with class balance.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Shadowbane beta was the best MMO PvP I've ever encountered, healer-channeler supremacy notwithstanding. I am hoping that's where we end up here, even (especially?) if it means the meta changes every patch as they flail with class balance.

They are planning to flail on balance they've already said gently caress it to balance and will let poo poo ride for a campaign and patch in between campaigns.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doggir posted:

They are planning to flail on balance they've already said gently caress it to balance and will let poo poo ride for a campaign and patch in between campaigns.

That is so good.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Taear posted:

Are Elken and the guineapigs only men? That's what the chart they posted about races/classes seemed to infer.

And "The Shadow" definitely sounds like the sort of game I'd like to play. Shadowbane during Beta, basically. If the Godswar servers are "set things" can you still destroy enemy forts and cities and whatever or is it specifically just "this is here and someone captures it"?

Yeah you can bust it up but you capture it and build it back afterward. Gods reach is 3 faction, supposedly there's going to be a 6 to 12 faction ruleset called "the infected" but between how dumb that sounds and how dumb a full ffa ruleset sounds I'm expecting only the shadow and God's reach to make it into the final product

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I've never played a game - computer or tabletop - that's had the variety of options that Shadowbane had. Even little things like a Minotaur warrior with a spear was different to a Minotaur warrior with an axe was different to a centaur warrior with a spear. I really miss that sort of customisation.

Nor a PvP game that understood that you need levelling areas so PvPers have somewhere to go to start fights and that important things need to drop and have long timers so they can be guarded and also to foster PvP. Just thinking of Commander or Sanctifier there really.

My perfect version would keep the discipline stuff, add more that are actually useful. It'd also keep the realms from the final SB expansion as that made control worth more. But yea, wipes are super important and declaring a winner is super important.

quote:

Yeah you can bust it up but you capture it and build it back afterward. Gods reach is 3 faction, supposedly there's going to be a 6 to 12 faction ruleset called "the infected" but between how dumb that sounds and how dumb a full ffa ruleset sounds I'm expecting only the shadow and God's reach to make it into the final product

Thanks! The last thing I kind of want to know is how important the purchased things are. So if you pay for those things in the store does it really affect the game or is it vanity stuff?

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 21, 2017

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Taear posted:

I've never played a game - computer or tabletop - that's had the variety of options that Shadowbane had. Even little things like a Minotaur warrior with a spear was different to a Minotaur warrior with an axe was different to a centaur warrior with a spear. I really miss that sort of customisation.

Nor a PvP game that understood that you need levelling areas so PvPers have somewhere to go to start fights and that important things need to drop and have long timers so they can be guarded and also to foster PvP. Just thinking of Commander or Sanctifier there really.

My perfect version would keep the discipline stuff, add more that are actually useful. It'd also keep the realms from the final SB expansion as that made control worth more. But yea, wipes are super important and declaring a winner is super important.

Thanks! The last thing I kind of want to know is how important the purchased things are. So if you pay for those things in the store does it really affect the game or is it vanity stuff?

Most of the stuff in the store right now is vanity stuff yo put in your private server for your guildies.

The only thing that really changes anything in the actual game is the subscription VIP. Normally you can only train 1 tree at a time for a free account (1 class/1 race/1 profession). VIP let's you train 2/2/2. So if I'm a VIP member I can train combat and exploration (mining etc) or crafting/combat, crafting/exploration giving more options in your builds and what not.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It seems clear that ek stuff doesn't have ZERO value in game, a cottage, a crafting table you know how to use, maybe a factory, and a land parcel that can bear them will allow you to turn export loot into good imports for the next campaign. But, that's not a lot of stuff to make yourself in game and anything more than that is just vanity. People can use bought land parcels, buildings, and relics to make PvP arenas, social hubs, erp dungeons, etc, and these have no impact on the campaigns. One dude srathor is already "known" for his public ffa kingdom and someone let him walk away from a gank the other day because of that, so epeen is already operating at max capacity.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh also forts were silently changed to a king of the hill capture model last night and everybody likes it better, still haven't found out how the edge cases work yet.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

honestly the original idea for keeps sounded cool but seemed suspect if it'd work

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Keeps are the same (and in game), they just got rid of the hold f for fort mechanic

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Have they implemented the destruction into sieges for this test that's the part I'm worried about

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
For some reason the test schedule won't load on my phone. Is this currently 24/7 testing? Or is there a specific schedule?

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheFace posted:

For some reason the test schedule won't load on my phone. Is this currently 24/7 testing? Or is there a specific schedule?

Friday afternoon through Sunday night, occasionally Monday morning/afternoon. Some weeks are off, most weeks there's not much new to test so nobody is on. Big patches tend to get the most interesting stuff happening.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Doggir posted:

Have they implemented the destruction into sieges for this test that's the part I'm worried about

Yeah it's already in- it doesn't get much play right at this moment because because without thralls in the game, forts can't really be secured from duelists (and therefore nobody bothers to build them up and therefore they can't be secured from anyone) & keep sieges are this whole thing and not many people are online. It apparently works ok but has some jank that's getting worked on.

TheFace posted:

Orv posted:

Friday afternoon through Sunday night, occasionally Monday morning/afternoon. Some weeks are off, most weeks there's not much new to test so nobody is on. Big patches tend to get the most interesting stuff happening.

Testing's 24/7 at this point, EKs are always up and campaigns are usually up. There was a new campaign version just yesterday. Just be aware that when they put out a patch they can and will bring down campaigns swallowing up whatever stuff you had there without giving you a chance to export.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh, didn't realized they'd swapped over to mostly 24/7 before 5.3. Cool.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

https://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/18272-tomes-p2w-model/

quote:

Maybe people want eve for fantasy.  That was not how the game will sold to me. 

:allears:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Taear posted:

Did you go by Taear in the SB days? Your name seems super familiar.

My favorite SB story is about this guild Scorned Death. The undeniably controlled the sever and could destroy any city they chose with ease. They decided to set off a bane circle on every single city on the entire map at the same time with the timers set to go off on Christmas day. It caused such a panic that guild masters were going apeshit telling members they had to cancel family plans to be there and defend. SD didn't attack a single city that day and just posted a merry Christmas gif on the forums.
No other game will ever come close to something that awesome.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

quote:

"League of Legends" and recent "Playerunknown's Battleground" numbers show that 99% of the computer game market doesn't build on grind.

I don't see the point of the harvesting grind and the excessive crafting timers. It's not fun, it doesn't attract players, it doesn't increase cash flow. It's just grind for the sake of having grind and timers for the sake of having timers. And an excuse for a skill tree that reduces grind and timers. I honestly can't see a place in the current market for such an approach.
https://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/18143-please-take-some-of-the-grinding-out-of-our-testing/

:allears: Just remove crafting altogether and make it fantasy PUBG.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

eSporks posted:

My favorite SB story is about this guild Scorned Death. The undeniably controlled the sever and could destroy any city they chose with ease. They decided to set off a bane circle on every single city on the entire map at the same time with the timers set to go off on Christmas day. It caused such a panic that guild masters were going apeshit telling members they had to cancel family plans to be there and defend. SD didn't attack a single city that day and just posted a merry Christmas gif on the forums.

Yea, that's the same Taear.

I also played in the SB beta with Gobs and crew. While it was a laggy mess, what made it work that there was a core group of poopsocking players that ran things while us casuals could only log in for 6 hours a day and still contribute. PvE consisted of setting up an AOE character on a macro while we went AFK to get XP. Then we would get attacked and a skirmish would break out. Good times.

Also, there was a massive amount of duping going on.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SB with goons was a great time. I liked that although grinding was basically a macro, you still got to PVP at the same time for the best spots. Made it interesting.

It was fun even just hanging around our city, dealing with whatever tryhard birdmen came to poach our newbies.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

eSporks posted:

Holy crap that's awesome! I am really sad I missed all the SB shenanigans.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

daslog posted:

casuals could only log in for 6 hours a day and still contribute

Yikes.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I have not posted or played the beta for a while but I still have the "heart of a crow"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unironically yes.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I'd play it

feller
Jul 5, 2006

sorry grandpa, kids these days value their time

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

quote:

There are a lot things I am looking forward to in 5.3 but I really wish "Dizzy Down" for OOC was looked at a bit closer. I get that @thomasblair thinks it essential but I have yet to read one person post an agreement on that - not that I have read "every" post on it :)

Possibly a solution in the middle:

Keep Dizzy down (Hope you don't) but create a Minor Disciple called "PTSD" to counter at least the "Down" effect......... some of us really never go OOC.

Semper Fi,

Mayhem

:stare:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Out of Character?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Out Of Combat - he's discussing a mechanic where being hit while out of combat knocks you down (because OOC has a ton of benefits like vastly increased movement speed, ability to drop into stealth if you have it, vastly increased regen of all resources, etc)

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Senor Dog posted:

sorry grandpa, kids these days value their time

get off my lawn!!

so sad he deleted his post where he said the game needs to be not like pubg

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Back then we didn't have any PVP alternatives. I can't see this game doing well with a grind like we had in shadowbane.

However i think the real problem is what to do with the losers.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Isn't the grind just click button and go afk as the game training you while you are away? I don't have a problem when the grind is huge when that is it. What sort of grind are we talking here?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Isn't the grind just click button and go afk as the game training you while you are away? I don't have a problem when the grind is huge when that is it. What sort of grind are we talking here?
You have to grind mats to make gear.

I haven't played in a while, but last time I did you had to harvest a bunch of wood to make tools so you could harvest stone, so you could make tools to harvest other stone, so you could make lovely weapons to fight. Kinda like minecraft.
The grind was pretty dumb, as a fresh spawn it was about 30 minutes before you had basic gear and could try and fight.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
What shadowbane grind?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

daslog posted:

Back then we didn't have any PVP alternatives. I can't see this game doing well with a grind like we had in shadowbane.

However i think the real problem is what to do with the losers.

The only grind Shadowbane had was building your cities after beta. What a loving mistake they made there.
Also hi slog! Yes I'm the same Taear and went by Taear then too.

But the losers are fine in Crowfall because the campaign ends and they just go back to the endless kingdoms, ready to start a new campaign. Just like in Shadowbane beta really!

Thanks a lot for your answers 30.5, you've shed a lot of light on the game. I don't have the sort of time I had back when I played Shadowbane but it'd still be nice to have a proper PvP mmog to dip into sometimes.

quote:

You have to grind mats to make gear.
I do like that idea though. It creates reasons to fight. Even if it can be annoying it feels somewhat necessary. Just making it into a deathmatch removes the reason for it being an MMOG, I think.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When I played shadowbane during the free to play thing, it was only grindy if you didn't have any friends to powerlevel you.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Taear posted:

I do like that idea though. It creates reasons to fight. Even if it can be annoying it feels somewhat necessary. Just making it into a deathmatch removes the reason for it being an MMOG, I think.

Aye those other games already exist. also note that there are features missing and constant wipes that make you feel it more so people notice the grind more. I'm sure the grind will need to be dialed in when we are more feature complete but..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
So I have a guild name that I can register and I might make a ~goon~ guild. I might be that guy. For this game.