Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

If your dad is a mechanic and you've wrenched all your life like me you can get away with it but I'm severely burnt out with it and am selling the RX7 to get a bike next year so ymmv. Realistically getting a mechanic to look at it isn't going to tell you anything and I got into a screaming match with a mechanic who was looking at my SVX for a woman over how hilariously wrong and bad he was. You just gotta know what to look for.

I had some pretty simple rules for owning an older car which was: There has to be atleast mechanical parts available cheaply still, I don't need specialty tools to work on it, there should be documentation available beyond online Chinese whispers, I should be able to drive it home when buying it and no major structural rust.

This thread is full of structural rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Ok, I've now see where you got those from and Red Bull mechanics stopped the idiot apparently.

Also, now I understand why I despise Will Buxton so thoroughly. He posts on Reddit.

Even if he didn't, he'd still be a weapons grade oval office.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Even if he didn't, he'd still be a weapons grade oval office.

Yeah, 100% but this just adds on top of why I honestly hate him so god drat muchbuyaporschecayman it'd be crazy if he buyaporschecayman had an SA account though.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wirth1000 posted:

Yeah, 100% but this just adds on top of why I honestly hate him so god drat muchbuyaporschecayman it'd be crazy if he buyaporschecayman had an SA account though.

lmbo why would you even want that mid level garbage bin with wheels

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Classic British sports cars are not the hill cars I plan on dying on in lol. Even if it was, I'd be sorely tempted by some dumbshit idea like an MG A or MG B.

I would really be tempted by a decently priced TR7, SD1 or Marina if only for the challenge of making them work as daily drivers.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I would really be tempted by a decently priced TR7, SD1 or Marina if only for the challenge of making them work as daily drivers.

If I had garage space and didn't need my car to be reliable I'd be all over some dumbshit resto project. Though I'd probably end up buying an old wanker of a 7 series or S class though just because it'd be an awesome shed project.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Of course the idiots at sky f1 had something to do with the worst part of the introductions.

The old king of the ring - msg shows entrance set was rad as gently caress

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

If I had garage space and didn't need my car to be reliable I'd be all over some dumbshit resto project. Though I'd probably end up buying an old wanker of a 7 series or S class though just because it'd be an awesome shed project.

Lol you can get old V12 7s for like $3-4k here and I'm always tempted to look at one but I know there's a reason it's listed so low.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Lol you can get old V12 7s for like $3-4k here and I'm always tempted to look at one but I know there's a reason it's listed so low.

That'd have to be the avenue I'd go down, a knackered V12 7 or V12 S Class and after 3 years end up pulling down the garage door, fitting a hose from the exhausts to the front window, sitting down in the driver's seat, taking a deep breath and turning the key. Only to be reminded that it still won't turn over because of some loving stupid electrical sensor malfunction and realise that I have already suffered a fate worse than death by buying a knackered 12-cylinder luxury car.

I would've done the valve stem seals on my old 645Ci if I'd had a garage, but without it's just impossible and gently caress spending £5,000 on an engine rebuild when I sold the car to a sucker who honestly believed I wouldn't spend £20 and 30 minutes replacing PCV breathers having just spent £400 on new tyres. What was hilarious in retrospect is that they insisted on getting the car checked over by a garage who were all like 'errr, what the gently caress?' when it belched out a massive white cloud of smoke when it was started up and they still bought it. :wtc:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I will no longer harass you into buying a Cayman.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

I will no longer harass you into buying a Cayman.

lmao you fuckman

*subconsciously starts browsing car sites for Porsche Cayman prices*

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
In addition to my earlier gushing about simple aero and the Herculean Are Nige "Il Leone" Mansell, the 1986 Mexican GP is on Sky Sports F1 at 9. Proper cars driven by proper men rather than diva cars driven by instagram divas. :colbert:

Spoiler alert: it happened 31 years ago you loving idiot, Google the result, jfc.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

That'd have to be the avenue I'd go down, a knackered V12 7 or V12 S Class and after 3 years end up pulling down the garage door, fitting a hose from the exhausts to the front window, sitting down in the driver's seat, taking a deep breath and turning the key. Only to be reminded that it still won't turn over because of some loving stupid electrical sensor malfunction and realise that I have already suffered a fate worse than death by buying a knackered 12-cylinder luxury car.

I would've done the valve stem seals on my old 645Ci if I'd had a garage, but without it's just impossible and gently caress spending £5,000 on an engine rebuild when I sold the car to a sucker who honestly believed I wouldn't spend £20 and 30 minutes replacing PCV breathers having just spent £400 on new tyres. What was hilarious in retrospect is that they insisted on getting the car checked over by a garage who were all like 'errr, what the gently caress?' when it belched out a massive white cloud of smoke when it was started up and they still bought it. :wtc:

My Uncle had a 2003 A8 or something and my dad ended up having to pull the engine on it twice in a year. My uncle is a rich dude but he'd have been bankrupt trying to keep that thing running if my dad didn't practically do the work for free and find a junkyard engine the second go round. Never ever gently caress with the big model Germans, they'll gently caress you hard and fast.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I distinctly recall the crossover point of my dad deciding he was done loving around with that thing was him yelling "This loving aluminium horseshit" as he took a grinder to a stripped bolt on the wheel hub lol

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I distinctly recall the crossover point of my dad deciding he was done loving around with that thing was him yelling "This loving aluminium horseshit" as he took a grinder to a stripped bolt on the wheel hub lol

lmao that is the only appropriate response

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ITS loving 1986 OSELLA DRIVER ALLEN loving BERG LMBO

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
lmao @ quid's new av

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy poo poo whoever did this, bravo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nice.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
This is a timely reminder that the patron saint of refuse collectors, Allen Berg, was part of the legendary F3000 season that saw Ayrton Senna and patron saint of bitter frauds, Fartin Bumdle, duking it out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lmao Reddit has verified accounts

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
F3 season you mean.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

F3 season you mean.

That's the one.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Will Buxton wrote the script for the drivers intro btw.

https://instagram.com/p/BarFg5zHLCC/

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

keevo posted:

Will Buxton wrote the script for the drivers intro btw.

https://instagram.com/p/BarFg5zHLCC/

Of course some retard autist redditor wrote it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Worst Thread should do some intros. I want track day bro!s words to ring out as the drivers walk onto the grid.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

The Worst Thread should do some intros

"From The United Kingdom in Ingerland, he's the Thanker of Ants, the Blanker of Blants, it's THAAAAAAAAANKS "JAMMY BASTARD" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTS."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
please welcome Felipe "AIDS" Massa

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Christ I'm going to be like a kilo lighter and critically low on fluids after jerking it to these humpback '86 cars being chucked around.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The driver's should wear progressively sillier hats as the season wears on.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

The driver's should wear progressively sillier hats as the season wears on.

Pirelli Burka for season finale in Abu dabbi

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

quote:

From 1978 until his death, Chapman was involved with the American tycoon, John DeLorean, in his development of a stainless steel sports car, to be built in a factory in Northern Ireland which was majority-funded by the British government. The original concept design was for a mid-engine sports car, however difficulty in securing the original Wankel engine rights and design complications led to the rear-engine mount design.[11]

On 19 October 1982, John DeLorean was charged with trafficking cocaine by the U.S. government, following a videotaped sting operation in a Los Angeles hotel, in which he was recorded by undercover FBI agents agreeing to bankroll a 100 kilograms (220 lb) cocaine smuggling operation. The DeLorean car company subsequently collapsed, during which Administrators discovered that £10 million of British taxpayers' money, equivalent to £40 million in 2010, had gone missing.[11]

Lotus Group's 1981 accounts were overdue before Chapman's death, but released after his death disclosed that Lotus had been paid for engineering work by DeLorean via a Swiss-based Panamanian company run by a DeLorean distributor, despite Chapman's previous protestations that neither he nor the company had been paid via Panama. Chapman died before the full deceit unravelled, but at the subsequent trial of Lotus Group accountant Fred Bushell, the judge insisted that had Chapman himself been in the dock, he would have received a sentence "of at least 10 years".[11] The car's engineering concept was later sold by the Administrators to Toyota, who used it to develop the AW11 MR2.[11]

and bernie was the crook lol

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

loving lol

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why is this so motherfucking funny, I can't stop laughing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

All the drivers are lined up ready to be introduced, Michael Buffer skips all of them to introduce Felipe "AIDS" Massa in a completely normal speaking voice, Massa awkwardly shuffles out while a bossanova cover of "High 5" by Beck plays, and they introduce no further drivers.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

This guy has 2 TR7's, and were in good condition 24 years ago, where I grew up as a kid, he was offered good money for them but refused, they are still there now rust buckets good for nothing

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7...12!8i6656?hl=en

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

djssniper posted:

This guy has 2 TR7's, and were in good condition 24 years ago, where I grew up as a kid, he was offered good money for them but refused, they are still there now rust buckets good for nothing

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7...12!8i6656?hl=en

you're one of the gossiping old ladies down the road, right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mrfart posted:

you're one of the gossiping old ladies down the road, right?

Those two old ladies are definitely up to no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

wicka posted:

why is this so motherfucking funny, I can't stop laughing

i rarely say anything like this but my stomach is hurting irl from laughing

• Locked thread