Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I.G.Y. posted:

this is some very high level concern trolling that doesn't account for people developing politically in the past literal decade. but liberals have no sense of history anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nikalajoga posted:

When you think about it, Abraham Lincoln was one of the worst Presidents of the United States for supporting regime change in Mexico against the legitimate Maximilian government. Such a shocking act of wanton imperialism against an modernizing and reforming monarch must go down as one of the evillest acts of the United States of America.

And he got more Americans killed than any other President. What a monster

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I.G.Y. posted:

this is some very high level concern trolling that doesn't account for people developing politically in the past literal decade. but liberals have no sense of history anyways

Weird how you can claim to have developed politically in 10 years but stuff from 20 years ago is still meaningful.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

stone cold posted:

would you

a. call her worse than kissinger himself

and

b. call her worse than obama

just wondering how consistent your line of reasoning is, tia

A. No. Thankfully she never had the opportunity to compare to that ghoul.

B. Yes. Much worse. She invented the Kenya birth horseshit. Voted for Iraq. Used racism to push for a law that has hamred por people across America. Pushed Obama to alot of the dumber actions in the Middle East. Also told her daughter that spinach pancakes were fine for consumption by her grandchild.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nikalajoga posted:

When you think about it, Abraham Lincoln was one of the worst Presidents of the United States for supporting regime change in Mexico against the legitimate Maximilian government. Such a shocking act of wanton imperialism against an modernizing and reforming monarch must go down as one of the evillest acts of the United States of America.

I mean if we're going to talk seriously Lincoln's legacy is a severe case of Right Place Right Time; he tried his damnedest to compromise with the south, the south was just too stupid to believe him.

I get what you mean though, and I'd say what I've always felt: you'll never find a perfect historical or mythical figure, because we are all human and to human is to err. The best that can be done is weigh their just acts by their unjust acts, and I find both Obama and the Clintons lacking in that regard.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

stone cold posted:

out of curiosity, were y’all just as mad back then

yes

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nikalajoga posted:

Some of y'all deciding to stan for Gaddafi.

yronic, are you evading your probe? you're the only person i've seen using "stanning", and also being this dumb

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

Its not misogynist to denounce Hillary Clinton for being good friends with a war criminal. You bunch of loving freaks.

you voted for a man who views women as objects to be grabbed by our genitals

so i guess what im saying is :frogon:

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

I mean if we're going to talk seriously Lincoln's legacy is a severe case of Right Place Right Time; he tried his damnedest to compromise with the south, the south was just too stupid to believe him.

I get what you mean though, and I'd say what I've always felt: you'll never find a perfect historical or mythical figure, because we are all human and to human is to err. The best that can be done is weigh their just acts by their unjust acts, and I find both Obama and the Clintons lacking in that regard.

You obviously don't loving get what I mean. Do you know who Maximilian I of Mexico was?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

All presidents are war criminals and any citizen who votes for a winning candidate is complicit. You think Sanders will be any different? He defended Operation Cast Lead, he's not gonna stop droning the Taliban any more than the previous guy did. The only moral act for any American is to flee the country and die

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
lol if you are actually slashie i hope to god you get run off of this forum for bullying another user over anime

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nikalajoga posted:

Some of y'all deciding to stan for Gaddafi.

Hey, he is preferable to the mad max situation in Libya now.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Flavahbeast posted:

All presidents are war criminals and any citizen who votes for a winning candidate is complicit. You think Sanders will be any different? He defended Operation Cast Lead, he's not gonna stop droning the Taliban any more than the previous guy did. The only moral act for any American is to flee the country and die

i got step 1 done!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
LOL if you don't think that Hillary would have had us embroiled in a lot more foreign adventures right now.

We'd have expanded the campaign in the ME much more bigly than what was done against ISIS. Probably some PNAC shinnanigans with Iran. Less saber rattling with DPRK but that's because DPRK is who you pick on when you've got nowhere else to project American power.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Good thread. Strong psychic energies. Learning alot about myself

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Flavahbeast posted:

this is pretty true

much like how there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, all voting americans are complicit in the crimes america commits in its position as hegemon

that being said, people who voted for trump are far more culpable than people who pulled the lever in any other way

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey, he is preferable to the mad max situation in Libya now.

I don't think you can say that the Libyan Civil War would have ended easily and neatly without any lasting damage to the country if only Gaddafi had been allowed to slaughter all dissidents, to be quite honest. Maybe if you don't have a brain, a heart, or any courage.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

stone cold posted:

who is a us politician whose fopo y’all approve of and if any of you say tulsi, stop posting forever

Do they have to be living because I’m going to pick Henry Harrison

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006

Nikalajoga posted:

Weird how you can claim to have developed politically in 10 years but stuff from 20 years ago is still meaningful.

don't see anyone saying that stuff from 20 years ago isn't meaningful. and i've always been an anti-revisionist marxist-leninist so i'm pure as poo poo, and always correct politically

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Do they have to be living because I’m going to pick Henry Harrison

:yikes:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

stone cold posted:

you voted for a man who views women as objects to be grabbed by our genitals

so i guess what im saying is :frogon:

I voted for Bernie in the general.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nikalajoga posted:

I don't think you can say that the Libyan Civil War would have ended easily and neatly without any lasting damage to the country if only Gaddafi had been allowed to slaughter all dissidents, to be quite honest. Maybe if you don't have a brain, a heart, or any courage.

There would be damage, but there would actually be a country rather then the mess there is. This is on Obama, Hollande and Cameron.

I voted Hillary in the general and should have voted for La Riva.

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I.G.Y. posted:

don't see anyone saying that stuff from 20 years ago isn't meaningful. and i've always been an anti-revisionist marxist-leninist so i'm pure as poo poo, and always correct politically

Ah, you're one of the "homosexuality is bourgeois decadence" types, via terminal irony poisoning.

The Kingfish posted:

I voted for Bernie in the general.

Ah, understanding of political mass action as ideally being driven by sentimentalist consumerism. Quite a Red Guard you are.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tecumseh's war was before he was a politician

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nikalajoga posted:

You obviously don't loving get what I mean. Do you know who Maximilian I of Mexico was?

Yes, you're equating him to Gadaffi. It's downright naive to simply assume that beating back The Bad Guys will make things right. Anyone with eyes could see all the prospective warlords-in-training that came over for some violent tourism after he died. The answer there wasn't 'do nothing' or 'stop him' and it's obscebe to suggest such. The third answer 'stop him and heavily invest in rebuilding the nation', was the correct one. In that regard Hillary and Obama failed spectacularly, and that should be a black mark on both records.

As for if Libya is better now or with Gadaffi, I'd rather that be left to libyans rather than forum pundits.

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

Its not misogynist to denounce Hillary Clinton for being good friends with a war criminal. You bunch of loving freaks.

it's insanely cool to weaponize the most facile and opportunistic faux-feminism to gloss over someone turning libya into a hellhole

more *clap* women *clap* drone *clap* operators *clap*

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Yes, you're equating him to Gadaffi. It's downright naive to simply assume that beating back The Bad Guys will make things right. Anyone with eyes could see all the prospective warlords-in-training that came over for some violent tourism after he died. The answer there isn't 'do nothing' or 'stop him', it's 'stop him and heavily invest in rebuilding the nation'.

yeah we should go in and give them railroads, modern medicine, electrification etc. like true benefactors used to in africa back in the day

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Tecumseh's war was before he was a politician

it counts :colbert:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

not sure if it counts but President Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks! was brave and inspiring in his commitment to nonviolence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMmC0UAnj0

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

There would be damage, but there would actually be a country rather then the mess there is. This is on Obama, Hollande and Cameron.

That's not guaranteed, no. You are assuming that dictators are better than representative governments, if crude about it.

Neurolimal posted:

Yes, you're equating him to Gadaffi. It's downright naive to simply assume that beating back The Bad Guys will make things right. Anyone with eyes could see all the prospective warlords-in-training that came over for some violent tourism after he died. The answer there wasn't 'do nothing' or 'stop him' and it's obscebe to suggest such. The third answer 'stop him and heavily invest in rebuilding the nation', was the correct one. In that regard Hillary and Obama failed spectacularly, and that should be a black mark on both records.

As for if Libya is better now or with Gadaffi, I'd rather that be left to libyans rather than forum pundits.

Ah good, we've got you on record as endorsing regime change.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I would never cast my vote for a person who chums around with literal war criminals and mass murders. this is because of my misogyny.

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006

Nikalajoga posted:

Ah, you're one of the "homosexuality is bourgeois decadence" types, via terminal irony poisoning.

Ah, understanding of political mass action as ideally being driven by sentimentalist consumerism. Quite a Red Guard you are.

yep anyone who is a communist is doing irony, says me a liberal with the political imagination of a walnut writing for vox.com

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Neurolimal posted:

Washington, if only because America was still a lovely colony without the means to harm other countries at that point, and his exit speech warned of the effects of abandoning isolationism after obtaining a precarious freedom.

Yo. Yo.

Native Americans existed back then.

Also the early US was humongous dicks to Canada.

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I.G.Y. posted:

yep anyone who is a communist is doing irony, says me a liberal with the political imagination of a walnut writing for vox.com

Oh, you're willing to go on record as endorsing Stalinist homophobia, lol.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Condiv posted:

:confused: where is this even coming from?

just let it ride, we're going to special places

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nikalajoga posted:

That's not guaranteed, no. You are assuming that dictators are better than representative governments, if crude about it.

No. Just that he was better then the band of warlords who now control it. Also a great enemy of wahabist filth.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don’t get why people harp on the Iraq War vote, necessarily, when the Afghanistan War vote was worse

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006

Nikalajoga posted:

Oh, you're willing to go on record as endorsing Stalinist homophobia, lol.

yep you got me there. good debate move.

Nikalajoga
Sep 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

No. Just that he was better then the band of warlords who now control it. Also a great enemy of wahabist filth.

But you're presuming that he would have won the civil war quickly and effectively, instead of things degenerating into a long-lasting guerrilla war. These kinds of counterfactuals you propose to get your Muslim death boners over are just not automatically true because you believe them to be.

I.G.Y. posted:

yep you got me there. good debate move.

Not my problem you don't know what "anti-revisionism" means, chuckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don’t get why people harp on the Iraq War vote, necessarily, when the Afghanistan War vote was worse

We should leave there. In Ladin is dead and the Taliban hate ISIS more then us.

Nikalajoga posted:

But you're presuming that he would have won the civil war quickly and effectively, instead of things degenerating into a long-lasting guerrilla war. These kinds of counterfactuals you propose to get your Muslim death boners over are just not automatically true because you believe them to be.
Guerilla wars can be kept under control and Ghadaffi a successful power player would have handed it well. Also wahabis deserve death. You shoukd ask me what i’ll do when Riyahd burns.
L

• Locked thread