Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Can't you set z-target to toggle or hold in the options anyway? Haven't played in a bit, but I think you can cycle targets by quickly tapping ZL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shrines are lame and lazy and make me never want to start a new file

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well The Mummy Demastered can officially go gently caress itself. The death clone initially seemed like a cool concept but I’m tired of being forced to go through five rooms of enemies with no upgrades to try to kill my corpse in a room full of infinitely respawning bats that spit bile at me at the worst possible times. And knock back on a hit? Really? AUGH.

The first boss was a loving joke, too. I’ve taken more damage from those stupid ceiling droppers than I did to the first boss. What the gently caress.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Real hurthling! posted:

Shrines are lame and lazy and make me never want to start a new file

yeah actually this might keep me from replaying the game too much, first go-around is neat but after shrine 50 the mysterious ancient tech with blue ceiling puzzle rooms start to lose their luster

the sad thing is this would have been so easily remedied with some (any) visual variety, 4-7 different tilesets plus songs, maybe divided by regions or something

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

4.0.1 is out.

Fixes dock resolution but breaks gamecube controller adapter.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

So when does SMO unlock for those that pre-downloaded it?

Probably tomorrow at 9PM PST.

glassyalabolas posted:

4.0.1 is out.

God drat it. I wanted to try Mario with it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

where are reviews for mario hat game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a.lo posted:

Nintendo paid to have them destroyed. Games secretely a turd all they have is the demo and shiggy is missing with a lot of money

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's good, but not as good as Nintendogs

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
worse than the sonic forces demo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s perfect. No flaws whatsoever, a first in video game history.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

11 1/2 hrs until I begin my Odyssey

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It reinvents an old series while staying true to its roots. 10/10

Gimme my check.:v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Turns out that SMO launches on the worst day possible for Ausgoons; It's the first day of PAX-AUS :negative:.

I actually thought it was the following weekend.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Turns out that SMO launches on the worst day possible for Ausgoons; It's the first day of PAX-AUS :negative:.

I actually thought it was the following weekend.

Ah yes, I am going to a nerd convention to learn about games I can play in the future instead of playing the best game ever RIGHT NOW

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It reinvents an old series while staying true to its roots. 10/10

Gimme my check.:v:

Spell check? Sure.

Its actually spelt - Cheque

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mega64 posted:

It’s perfect. No flaws whatsoever, a first in video game history.

i think you'll find it has several GLARING PROBLEMS

i truly can't wait for the first negative review of Super Mario Odyssey

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

a.lo posted:

here's one that just broke embargo

https://i.imgur.com/xHQaZbr.gifv

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It’s strange to withhold reviews until the last second on this game. They are practically guaranteed to be glowing, there’s no need to trick people into buying before they see the bad reviews!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

deadwing posted:

there is only one frog mario imo

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

deadwing posted:

Surprised there aren't any Get Out Frog gifs associated with this yet.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Wendell posted:

It’s strange to withhold reviews until the last second on this game. They are practically guaranteed to be glowing, there’s no need to trick people into buying before they see the bad reviews!

Hmm yeah I guess that's true. Maybe it's a universal corporate policy or something.

Idk either way I never buy any games I'm unsure of without a looking over a quick review or 2, and at least these types of sneaky tactics can easily be vanquished by conducting a quick google search before you drop your $60.

It was a more predatory tactic before we all had tiny computers in our pockets, I think

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol I screwed myself out of a dinosaur egg in Stardew Valley by installing the Switch update before finishing the day first.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KingSlime posted:

It was a more predatory tactic before we all had tiny computers in our pockets, I think

Nintendo's still pretty old-fashioned in that regard.

You'll know a company has a real turd on their hands when they just black out all showcasing. Demos have "no recording" signs at conventions, no early reviews at all, just as little public opinion on it as possible until the last second that might influence sales.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Wendell posted:

I swear everything they've done in 2017 is to build hype. Like of course Odyssey will get mostly 10's, the only reason to embargo reviews is to unleash a flood of perfect scores on launch day

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I swear everything they've done in 2017 is to build hype. Like of course Odyssey will get mostly 10's, the only reason to embargo reviews is to unleash a flood of perfect scores on launch day

My suspicion is that it’s to avoid rushed takes. If the reviewer is given a game two weeks before release, but can post a review a week before the release, the reviewer is gonna only play the game for a week before posting the review. By setting up an embargo until the day before release, the reviewer is encouraged to play the game for longer, leading to a more comprehensive review.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

4.0.1 is out.

Oh hey people are saying if you try to resync them they work fine again

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lelandjs posted:

My suspicion is that it’s to avoid rushed takes. If the reviewer is given a game two weeks before release, but can post a review a week before the release, the reviewer is gonna only play the game for a week before posting the review. By setting up an embargo until the day before release, the reviewer is encouraged to play the game for longer, leading to a more comprehensive review.

You've already put more thought into this description than most games writers put into reviews

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KingSlime posted:

Oh hey people are saying if you try to resync them they work fine again

Here's the real question; Does the ASCII Keyboard controller for Phantasy Star Online work with it? :allears:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"we need more days to think of phrases synonymous with GAME OF THE YEAR"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

lelandjs posted:

I don't think Jimminy McReviewer is assigned only one game per quarter. He still only had one week to play the game (badly) and write his review and then waddle off to play another game (badly) to write that other review and so on and so forth

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I don't think Jimminy McReviewer is assigned only one game per quarter. He still only had one week to play the game (badly) and write his review and then waddle off to play another game (badly) to write that other review and so on and so forth

Jimminy McReviewer? that racist

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

All reviews will be released simultaneously and web sites will have to duke it out in a battle royale for the most best written review

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lelandjs posted:

Nope. It's always been and always will be to avoid the possibility of bad reviews costing the game sales. If they wanted better reviews then they'd vet the reviewers before sending a review copy out or something rather than just have a blanket ban.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

dae games reviews are bad?????????????????

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

All reviews will be released simultaneously and web sites will have to duke it out in a battle royale for the most best written review

See it all happen live at The Fighting McReviewers, with Editor-In-Chief and founder Jimminy McReviewer. The only review site where our staff literally fights over what scores to give games.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Reviews or not I am excited to play SMO tomorrow and then also Xenoblade 2 in another month

What a year to be alive

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

alf_pogs posted:

Jimminy McReviewer? that racist

Jimminy Reviewer isn't racist, he's very woke. He told my teenage sister about it in Twitter dms.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Puts on gaming reviewer cap

Super Mario Odyssey
Pros:
*Large, expansive worlds
*Plenty of secrets to explore and find
*Soundtrack and effects are excellent

Cons:
*Rescuing Princess Peach and cultural appropriation are tired and offensive in a game released in 2017
*The game lacks a coherent visual style
*Emphasis on possessing enemies for alternate movement takes away from core Mario gameplay

Final takeaway:
If you’re looking for an invigorating reinvention of the Mario franchise (a la Breath of the Wild), you’re going to be disappointed. If you want a new game that scratches that Super Mario 64 itch, you’ll find plenty to like here—through true fans of the franchise are probably better off picking up a SNES Classic to replay Super Mario World.

73.5/100

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Super Mario Odyssey

**Exclusive GOON ACCESS Review

Pros:
It has a dinosaur

Cons:
Yes, up to 4

• Locked thread