Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Why do my cats want to lick the menthol-based spray I use to relieve lower back pain? I don't let them, but I also don't understand why they would want to in the first place. Like, why? It would just make their tongues burn and eventually go numb :psyduck: anyone have any experience like this?

Vvv edit
Thank you. That is so obvious in hindsight that I feel silly. I should get them more 'nip then if they want mint that badly!

don longjohns fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

failing forward posted:

Why do my cats want to lick the menthol-based spray I use to relieve lower back pain? I don't let them, but I also don't understand why they would want to in the first place. Like, why? It would just make their tongues burn and eventually go numb :psyduck: anyone have any experience like this?
Menthol is made from things in the mint family. Cats go nuts for various kinds of mint, including catnip.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I got a 7mo that poops when she coughs or sneezes, other than switching back to the food we used to feed her before she started this, is there anything else I can do to stem the brown tide?

More fiber? You could try a spoonful of tinned pumpkin in their food. (Just make sure you get pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling.)

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

We ended up having to take my girlfriends to the emergency vet. He was fractious as hell and had to get a catheter and be flushed at least twice, with two overnights. Cost upwards of $3k, but getting it taken care of earlier (his poor urethra was swollen shut) and not having to go to the er would save a bunch. Ask the vet, they'll probably be able to ballpark something for you.

She's got the stones that should be able to be taken care of through a change in diet and antibiotics but the surgery would be quicker, I got quoted $1k-$1.2k for the latter. Tempted to just go ahead and get it over with but I feel sorry for my wallet.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Look at this idiot.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Thumposaurus posted:

Look at this idiot.

Wow, those Christmas eyeballs. Like a deep glass of absinthe.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

Look at this idiot.

That's not a housecat. It's a basketpanther.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hosed up, I was feeling like I couldn't take care of my kitty after having him for a month. He needed a lot of attention. So I took him back to the rescue shelter. :/ I instantly regretted this, I miss my kitty friend so much, I should have just stuck it out. I feel like a lovely person and won't be getting another kitty again anytime soon. :/ No more good morning meows and head rubs, and meow hellos when I come home from work.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I said come in! posted:

I hosed up, I was feeling like I couldn't take care of my kitty after having him for a month. He needed a lot of attention. So I took him back to the rescue shelter. :/ I instantly regretted this, I miss my kitty friend so much, I should have just stuck it out. I feel like a lovely person and won't be getting another kitty again anytime soon. :/ No more good morning meows and head rubs, and meow hellos when I come home from work.

Show them this post and ask for him back? Bring home a friend for him while you're at it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
so uh, i don't know if this is a good place to do this but if anyone in the lower half of texas wants a *free* pair of adorb kittens that will be neutered/vaccinated please PM

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

I said come in! posted:

Did they actually tell you you can't take him back? If not it's worth a shot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fortis posted:

Did they actually tell you you can't take him back? If not it's worth a shot.

The paperwork you sign agrees to a 48 hour period. He might still be at the shelter though, but I really shouldn't take him back. I honestly can't take care of him, but I miss him regardless. :/

Boogalo posted:

Show them this post and ask for him back? Bring home a friend for him while you're at it.

I really should have did this. I am stupid for not doing this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

You know your situation and capabilities best, but it's incredibly unlikely you're doing any harm at all even if he claims you are, and getting him back along with a new friend for company is what I would usually suggest because I always suggest things that result in more cats.

However, if you don't get kitty back, maybe an older and less demanding kitty would be more suitable for you?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, if you're concerned about attention, I recommend either an older cat with a known chill personality, or a pair of younger cats who like each other and will burn up a lot of each other's excess energy and need for attention/companionship. It's okay if you really don't feel like you're capable of adequately caring for cats, though -- if you don't feel comfortable with it and the cat isn't doing well, don't force it.

For a minor change of subject: does anyone here have experience with those microchip-unlocked food dishes? What's the radius of the unlock like? We're having the age-old problem where one of our cats likes to graze and the other will bully him off the food/eat everything put in front of her immediately, and I'm wondering if a dish that would let our grazer guy free-feed without letting Hogcat the Enormous in would be useful. Right now we're closing the grazer into the bathroom when we feed them, so he can eat without getting bullied, but he's just not inclined to eat a whole serving at once and mostly wants out. Do the microchip dishes have a tight enough radius that it won't stay open if he gets shoved over a couple feet and just sits there?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

These ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKRMr88-aQE

I think your cat has to poke its head in the hoop. Some cats have easier times learning this than others.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
ooooo, we need that too for the same reason, that model is really expensive though right?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I've got one and it's amazing. Didn't work with my cats microchip, but hers has been troublesome and you can get a replacement from them to implant. I chose to go with the rfid tag on the collar.

If they're within rfid range the laser sensor on the crossbar activates and if it's tripped, the door opens. Took less than a week for mine to figure it out. You can adjust the closing delay (mine is on the shortest setting), but it won't start the timer until she's a few inches away -- they don't have to be in the bar for it to stay open, but pretty close. Worst case is one opens it, the other bullies them away and the laser never un-trips, but if they back out to chew and the other cat moved slightly away it'll close. My monster is a fiend and he hasn't figured out how to hack it, so it's an edge case you probably don't need to worry about. they could both stick their head in the front or one wrap around the side, but it's tightly designed to make that difficult.

Worst thing that happens to me is my grazer pulls dry food out by hand (for fun, it seems, she eats the wet in there fine), and sometimes she'll pull out some extra and leave it for the monster.

They're a little pricey, but worth it if you're having trouble keeping the food going into the right mouths.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

My fifteen year old black cat, Fatfat, went to her final rest this morning. It seems she had a heart attack a couple days ago and was suffering from pulmonary edema. Due to her age and advanced cancer, I decided putting her to sleep was the best choice.

I raised her from a wee fluff to a tame and sweet old lady. Seems she couldn't stand to be separated from her buddy Boopcat anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Animale posted:

So Shelly has bladder stones and there's a chance she's going to need surgery to get them removed. Has anyone had the procedure done and can tell me a cost? I know I live in a city so my costs are probably going to be more than most. Ugh, should have looked into getting pet insurance when I got her earlier this year since she's already 9.

My cat had to have 9 removed about 6-7 years ago. Ran me about $600 at the time, and she's been on Urinary S/O since, but it's worth it, she's 12 now and the vet said she's in perfect health at her check up earlier this year.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

My fifteen year old black cat, Fatfat, went to her final rest this morning. It seems she had a heart attack a couple days ago and was suffering from pulmonary edema. Due to her age and advanced cancer, I decided putting her to sleep was the best choice.

I raised her from a wee fluff to a tame and sweet old lady. Seems she couldn't stand to be separated from her buddy Boopcat anymore.

:smith:

Condolences. It truly is losing a family member.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

She's in kitty heaven now, and I'm sure you made her life a veritable kitty heaven, as well. :smith:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks. Two in one year is rough. I feel like I made the right choice at the right time for her, though, so I have no regrets even though losing her hurts like hell.

Being catless for the first time in forever is going to take some adjustment.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So sorry. :smith: Thank you for the amazing life you gave her.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Thanks. Two in one year is rough. I feel like I made the right choice at the right time for her, though, so I have no regrets even though losing her hurts like hell.

Being catless for the first time in forever is going to take some adjustment.

Yeah, it sounds like it was the right time for her, and you did the right thing in helping her to pass without pain. I know that's not always a lot of comfort, though, and I'm sorry for your loss.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well... I may cross-post this. Not sure if it's a PS4 problem or a cat problem. Forgive my wordy style, it's the quickest way for me to communicate actually :sigh:

So uh, way back yonder, in the days since the first PS2 came out, I would always position my PS2 (and subsequent PS3) in the vertical position, stand or not - it just always seemed to be the most efficient use of space! Of course, if I knew it was bad for the disc reader I may not have don it. I might also add that I am a cat-owner, and as such the issue I'm having now (which you might have already guessed) never *really* came up before. I mean, I certainly never worried about my cats sleeping on the NES or SNES back in the day! Not just because I was a kid but because my SNES had survived falling out of the back of a car in a paper shopping bag and other such things I didn't worry so much about my fat cat sleeping on it.

But anyway, today is today. I bought a PS4 Pro a few months ago, and unlike every other PS-whatevers I've owned, it REALLY does not seem designed to stand vertically, and I saw no reason to spend an extra $25 or whatever on some custom-designed piece of 10-cent plastic cast in matte black with "SONY" written on it. So whatever, I hooked it up sideways. To get to the point, I also happen to be the human of a 15-pound cat named Jackie who more or less tells me what is and is not allowed around the house. Ever since we moved this month into an apartment with a much cooler and less stuffy apartment (corner room, more windows and light and air) she has decided that one of her ABSOLUTE favorite places to curl up and take a nap, or nonchalantly bathe herself, or just stare at me unblinkingly... is directly on top of the PS4!

OK, so I've been allowing this so far because I get and I wasn't figuring it could be doing THAT much harm to the PS4. Jackie's a short/medium-hair with some Maine Coon in her that have her a super-fine and thick undercoat, but she does not shed - mostly because I brush her twice a week quite proficiently, so I'm not worried about that. I guess I'm just worried if it could actually be doing some legitimate harm to the PS4, one way or another. Jackie is NOT a small cat and she puts off, er, a fair amount of body heat. And I worry that this heat could be, y'know, causing problems.

Obviously I don't let her sit there when I play games; I shoo her off. But when I am at home, the PS4 is like *always* on. I am slightly an addict of radio/satellite radio plus I am a movie buff so uh, yeah it's rare my PS4 *isn't* on when I'm at home. And I really can't keep throwing Jackie off over and over - she is the most stubborn cat in the world and will get back onto the PS4 over and over and over and over and eventually stop paying attention to me and just stays there, even when I try to shove her off, she has a way of turning into this liquid cat that you just cannot move her without sorta crossing the line and violently peeling the sack of liquid cat off the PS4 and *flinging* here away. Then she gets upsets with me and goes to like, pathetically hide under the table. I feel awful and instinctively comfort her because I cannot deal with making my cat feel scared like that... And she follows me back and sits right back down on the PS4 :eng99: I'm not even really sure if it's THAT bad for the PS4.

TL;DR - My cat is constantly sleeping on my PS4 Pro and won't stop; is this even bad for the system or all in my head? Do I buckle down and just get a goddamn overpriced vertical stand? Is keeping it vertical with a stand gonna be bad for my PS4? Ughhh

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I would think the only problem that you may have is the actual weight of Jackie pressing down on the PS4, I don't think her added body heat would relaly do much to the system.

Related tip but whenever I vacuum I make sure to get the PS4 vents and everything, cat hair is like a moth to a flame on those vents.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I hate that the missing cat post has had no follow up :(

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

kaworu posted:

Well... I may cross-post this. Not sure if it's a PS4 problem or a cat problem
My cat is constantly sleeping on my PS4 Pro and won't stop; is this even bad for the system or all in my head? Do I buckle down and just get a goddamn overpriced vertical stand? Is keeping it vertical with a stand gonna be bad for my PS4? Ughhh

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Cat-Sleep-Router-Be-Broadband-Second-Router,14909.html posted:

Chances are, if you've got a cat, you know how weird they can be. You also probably know that they have an obsession with electronics and will sit on keyboards, consoles, and anything else with a power button. There isn't really much you can do to stop them, as cats generally tend to do whatever they like, whenever they like; and sitting on warm, cozy electronics seems to be pretty high on their list of likes. However, one ISP in the UK did manage to come up with a solution for a customer whose cat wouldn't stay off his router.
Reddit user Pope_friction recently revealed that a tongue-in-cheek complaint posted to his ISP's community discussion boards yielded an unexpected response.

"I'm having a problem with my router," the post began. "The problem is the router is apparently very attractive to my cat. She sleeps on top of it for most of the day and frequently knocks the aerial about, taking my wireless network down. She stays in the position shown above for hours, with the top of her head against the top of the router, as if she's interfacing with it somehow.
"I'm sick of my internet going down all the time due to this - is there a fix? I was thinking perhaps Be could send me a decoy router, then I could hide the real one somewhere else. I'm not sure if she could tell the difference."

Not too long after, his ISP, Be Broadband, got in touch with him. The customer service rep said they had seen his post on the forums, confirmed that the issue was a common problem and agreed to help:
"We decided to send you a decoy router as you requested, however we will need some proof that the cat in the picture is a real one. Can you please send us more cute pictures of the aggressor?" they asked.
Be sent him a new router for his cat to sit on and explained that the best way to figure out her 'favorite' would be to plug both in and then attach the DSL cable to the one she doesn't sit on. The ISP added that if he ever decided to discontinue his service with the company, they would need the decoy router back and he'd have to appeal to his new ISP for help on the issue.

"It is not a problem if the router have cat food properties, as (as we stated in the beginning) this is ongoing issue, so we might be able to re-use the router for the same purpose," Be said.
The best part? The new router was apparently nicer than the old one.

[img]https://img.purch.com/o/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9TLzIvMzI4ODk4L29yaWdpbmFsL2FlcmlhbC5qcGc=][/img]

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah my cat loves warming his butt on my router too.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe you can get a second PS4 out of this?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
What's better than a warm butt? :shrug:

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

My cat loves the router so much that she often tries to groom it.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I feel vindicated now for preemptively putting my router in a kind of ridiculous spot so that my cat couldn't reach it. Then again, it might not have mattered because she loves sleeping in the coldest parts of the apartment, including directly in front of one of the A/C units when it's on at full blast. :shrug: cats

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Super Librarian posted:

I feel vindicated now for preemptively putting my router in a kind of ridiculous spot so that my cat couldn't reach it. Then again, it might not have mattered because she loves sleeping in the coldest parts of the apartment, including directly in front of one of the A/C units when it's on at full blast. :shrug: cats

Depends on the climate. Cats are not very good at regulating their body temperature, so if they feel cold they'll seek out something warm like a computer or person to nap on. If they feel too warm, they'll seek out something cold like a ceramic bathtub or sink to nap on. Sounds like you live in a warm climate and/or have a very fluffy cat so they're looking for somewhere to cool off.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

What's better than a warm butt?* :shrug:

*Statement does not apply to public restrooms.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hahah excellent suggestions. One of the amusing things is that Jackie is just SO weirdly proportioned for a cat and has such an *enormous* posterior (quite frankly) that she is always trying to get herself *just* perfectly positioned on the PS4, but it's rather difficult considering the fact that she's an oddly-proportioned 15-pound monstrosity of a cat. I was so used to her for a while it wasn't till I was spending more time with other cats that it register to me just how odd it was for a cat to have 7 digits on one front paw and 8 on the other front paw, plus 5 digits on each of the back ones!

What's really odd is that she is also something of a "munchkin cat". I have no idea how or why, and it wasn't something I really registered until recently. But she has VERY, VERY short legs. I don't know if it was the same with her entire litter, or what. But she is significantly shorter than the average cat, despite having a fair amount of length and width. It's part of the reason why she has never been able to jump onto kitchen counters and the like. Couches and beds are manageable mostly because she can practically just climb them with her length.

On an unrelated note, I am taking her to the vet Tuesday (maybe Monday). She is overdue for a checkup anyway, but there was something troubling this morning. She woke me up this morning at 3AM and she was flapping her ears repeatedly. I had no clue why. I was calling her "Flappy [bird]" because of the Flappy/Jackie rhyme and didn't think it was too odd, one of her ears seemed to be sort of stuck in an "angry" or closed position. You know when a cat is angry or stalking their ears go back? Like that, except only her right ear (I think it was) and it seemed to be bothering her.

So yeah I pretty quickly realized it wasn't just a "cats act weird sometimes" thing when I looked closely, and part of that ear looked red and inflamed. It seemed *quite* sensitive and it looked inflamed and scary to me so I started freaking out. I looked pm;one and read up on the 'Henry's Pocket' which is the little slit at the base-posterior or a cat's ear. That is exactly the part that looked red and inflamed, and which I think Jackie may have been scratching at too much. I suspect now she may have fleas or earmites and I''m gonna call first thing and push for an appt tomorrow - she is overdo for a checkup, anyway. I am trying to stop her from doing that "harshly scratching the ear repeatedly with the back paw's claws" move she pulls, which I think every other cat in existence also does. That (combined with some irritant like fleas) may be the core issue. I do hate that frontline/revolution stuff though and don't really enjoy applying it to my cat's skin - if I can find her skin under the double-coat of hers. Gonna need to be a 2-person operation.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If she has fleas, you will probably be flea bitten too. Mites or infection are strong probabilities. I hope all goes well at the check up!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

*Statement does not apply to public restrooms.

Nothing applies to public restrooms. Not even the Geneva conventions.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

owls or something posted:

My cat loves the router so much that she often tries to groom it.

This makes me happy for some bizarre reason.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
My girlfriend just explained this thread to me and I think kaworu is the reverse of being hellbanned in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

FlyTB20C posted:

This makes me happy for some bizarre reason.

Martha and Router, best friends forever.