Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

I didn't know what that is! I was proudly anime-free 2005-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Eela6 posted:

It roped me back in too, friend. They got me too...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eela6 posted:

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya. It was huge in its day.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm hearing that veterans of the original adaptation of Kino's Journey do not like the new version very much.

Darth Walrus posted:

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya. It was huge in its day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOiW-0rmglE

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
And they probably watch it in chronological order too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grouchio posted:

I'm hearing that veterans of the original adaptation of Kino's Journey do not like the new version very much.

it's fine. colosseum was weaker than the original but also the original is pretty much impossible to top and they were covering an arc in a single ep that the original expanded into a two-parter that was one of the most memorable arcs in the entire show, the stuff it's been going over that the original didn't hasn't felt as well-directed, but i can't exactly blame them for not being able to hire on a dead director and i've enjoyed it anyway

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 26, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the new Kino is okay. They adapted the Colosseum arc weirdly but they were clearly rushing through it just because they had to to set up Riku and Shizo. It's definitely not as good as the original but the original was directed by a once-in-a-generation talent that's dead now, so the direction was never gonna match up. And it has a few things that are obviously better, like not having the weird filter.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

Ah yes, those battered, grissled anime veterans who bravely watched the original series, waaaay back in the day, when watching anime was a war crime.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just assumed they meant the creators?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I miss the dreamy nature of the original but it's a fine show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

I just assumed they meant the creators?
the only big name staff who had any tangible creative involvement in the 2003 kino was the director, who is, yeah. And he'd always wanted to make a new Kino series, he'd even talked with Aoi Yuuki about casting her as Kino (hence the use of her in the currently airing series), he was just busy with other projects. Then busy with the eternal project, if you catch my drift.

Sadayuki Murai is the only other real heavyweight on the 2003 series, and he hasn't said anything about Kino. And he's busy making seventeen seasons of Natsume's Book of Friends, so I'm sure he's content in his corner of the world.

The direction would be better if Nakamura was still alive, natch, but I don't think the content would be that different, really. The things that differentiate the current anime from the 2003 anime are also things that differentiate the more recent Kino novels from the earlier ones.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I must say, I've really been enjoying Aoi Yuuki's performance as Kino. It's a lot different from the other stuff I've heard her in, very subtle. Sort of reminds me of Tomoyo Kurosawa's approach to playing Kumiko.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't really like new kino but i can't see myself dropping it either

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I must say, I've really been enjoying Aoi Yuuki's performance as Kino. It's a lot different from the other stuff I've heard her in, very subtle. Sort of reminds me of Tomoyo Kurosawa's approach to playing Kumiko.

aoi yuuki's a really good va

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

aoi yuuki's a really good va

:hai:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i don't really like new kino but i can't see myself dropping it either

why watch something you don't enjoy

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

Have you met dogsicle

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Who

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I like the new Kino show.

Just not as much as I like the old Kino show, at least so far. I'm still looking forward to seeing stories that weren't in the original. Giant moving country that runs over your fields while you get to stare at their children's artwork was a cool episode with a very good Kino punchline.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I haven't watched the original Kino yet, so this is fine as far as I'm concerned.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

to better understand kino as a series, and see how these different adaptations relate to each other

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

just because the thread exploded doesn't mean the laws of reality bent to make viggynash right about something

If I showed a random person a picture of Dia without context and asked whether 1) this character is human, and if so 2) what gender is this character, we both know that 99% of people will answer with human and female.

Its not that I think the character designs are inherently bad. My problem is that they are unimaginative and dont really represent what the show tells us they are. Their rock hair is the only thing about these characters that are not generic anime female fare, and is also the coolest thing about their character designs.

The argument to that would be just hand waive details like that and enjoy it for what it has. But in minimalist shows like this I tend to find enjoyment in the details, and there are something things I enjoy about this show. Theres just also things that really annoy me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

If I showed a random person a picture of Dia without context and asked whether 1) this character is human, and if so 2) what gender is this character, we both know that 99% of people will answer with human and female.

No loving poo poo.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hate-Senpai posted:

No loving poo poo.

Lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

Its not that I think the character designs are inherently bad. My problem is that they are unimaginative and dont really represent what the show tells us they are. Their rock hair is the only thing about these characters that are not generic anime female fare, and is also the coolest thing about their character designs.

The argument to that would be just hand waive details like that and enjoy it for what it has. But in minimalist shows like this I tend to find enjoyment in the details, and there are something things I enjoy about this show. Theres just also things that really annoy me.

I didn't read this

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hate-Senpai posted:

No loving poo poo.

lmao

man i really need to get into love live

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

generic anime FEMALES

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why does the perceived gender of the characters matter so much that it has to be fought over to the exclusion of every other element of the show holy loving poo poo, people have been on about this for days

they're explicitly genderless. some present more femme, some present more masc. some presentation is less obvious (e.g. bort's va, their face almost like sensei's). regardless of other elements of presentation, their clothes aim for androgyny with a combination of menswear aesthetic, schoolboy shorts, poofy sleeves, heels. etc etc etc

i feel like some of the more detailed designs, and masc presenting gems, have not shown up yet in the anime so i can't blame anyone for having a different impression at this moment.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hate-Senpai posted:

No loving poo poo.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

She's excellent; almost to the point of checking out a series just for her acting. Thought she was hilarious (and obviously having fun with the role) as Ringo in Nichibros.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe

that the gems in Lustrous appear to in some ways correspond to roles that we associate with "male" or "female" but are not actually either of those things

is part of the point?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i distinctly remember several people getting mad that soul eater ended without a 'reveal' of crona's gender

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

generic anime female fare

this is the thing steaming me up rn more than the gender stuff

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

big female here

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Land of Lustrous Tier List:

Benitoite
Ulrichite
Bort
Uraninite
Diamond
Emerald
Sapphire
Usoro
Tungsten
Amethyst

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hi, i just started watching the Guru Guru show because someone was saying it was good and it's funny as hell and I'm only like 10 minutes in

welp bye, carry on

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

small female here

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well he aint my female but the sister is heavy

Adbot