Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Her financial position is much better than his, assuming good decisions going forward.

That’s a pretty big assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

A friend of mine who lives in South Florida :words:

That doesn't sound like much of a friend.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I was a 'maybe' until we got to video game microtransactions, now a lol nope

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

I was a 'maybe' until we got to video game microtransactions, now a lol nope

Opiate addiction is a cheaper path to go down.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It sounds like it's still early in the relationship, if she doesn't want to get married anytime soon there is no reason to sever, unless she starts asking for a loan.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Devian666 posted:

Opiate addiction is a cheaper path to go down.

And a higher chance of death.

Better yet, you can get crippling carpal tunnel from the games and then get addicted to opioids anyway.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

This is a borderline on topic post, but it has horses

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/775rjo/me_20_m_my_sister_26_f_is_obsessed_with_horses/

quote:

I live at home currently, with my mother [54] and my sister. Aswell as my handicapped aunt who stays at our house every month and then moves to my other aunt.
So yeah my mother has money issues, at home. My sister was gifted two horses at a young age because she is obsessed with it. Even though we don't have enough space for them to hold or the money. It's been around 10 years we live in this crap.
My sister first tried to force her fandom onto me when I was young. She manipulated my mother into forcing me to learn to horse ride. Made me buy equipment and stuff. She even went out to buy me a horse which I didn't even ask for and blames me now that I don't look after it. I couldn't give it away since it is on my mother's name, I'm not really the rightful owner.
Now so far, I've managed to cope with her behavior. But lately my mother inherited some money and she is trying to manipulate my mother into giving it to her. Not even share it with me.
She manipulates everyone in my surroundings to think I'm the bad guy first so no one thinks that she is the real slimy scumbag azing after my mother's cash. She lies all the time lately. She even stated she overheard me begging to my mom to buy me a brand new car even though I haven't said such thing. i told my mother the first thing she should do with her money is go on a vacation on her own, without the issues and troubles at home.
I don't give a crap what she does with her money. For all I care she spends it all. I only wish if she would repay my money I borrowed her 3 years ago so I could have an eye surgery to repair my damaged eyes.
My sister at the same time is looking for houses with lots of stables for my mom to buy, or she's looking for a big car and van to move her horses around, or she is looking to build nice stables on our lot.
She's angry that I talk my mother out of it. Often twisting the story when confronted into trying to blame me for something. It's tiresome and frustrating. Everytime she gets confronted she changes subject to that one time I forgot to close the door and that she got mad for example. You can't really argument with her because she starts yelling, crying, telling she's going to kill herself, etc...
Lately though I've began to worry because we had a brochure of a company that deals in building stables and other horse furnishing in the mail. I asked my sister if she had anything to do with this but she just acted like her nose bled. Now my mother showed me a letter that came with it that she tried to hide stating the order was done in my mother's name even though she didn't ask for it at all...
I don't know what the gently caress to do with this anymore. I'm beyond pissed off at the moment. My mother is a very naive person that is easily manipulated because of her traumatic background and here my sister is just taking advantage of it for the loving scumbag she is. I wasn't supposed to tell my dad about this inheritage, at first I didn't know why but now it's clear that my sister is trying to not hurt her image as daddy's little princess (I don't really come on good terms with my father like my sister because of it)
tl;dr: Sister is absolutely obsessed with horses, tries to manipulate my mother into giving her inheritance to her for her horses

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Photex posted:

This is a borderline on topic post, but it has horses

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/775rjo/me_20_m_my_sister_26_f_is_obsessed_with_horses/

quote:

I live at home currently, with my mother [54] and my sister. Aswell as my handicapped aunt who stays at our house every month and then moves to my other aunt.
So yeah my mother has money issues, at home. My sister was gifted two horses at a young age because she is obsessed with it. Even though we don't have enough space for them to hold or the money. It's been around 10 years we live in this crap.
My sister first tried to force her fandom onto me when I was young. She manipulated my mother into forcing me to learn to horse ride. Made me buy equipment and stuff. She even went out to buy me a horse which I didn't even ask for and blames me now that I don't look after it. I couldn't give it away since it is on my mother's name, I'm not really the rightful owner.
Now so far, I've managed to cope with her behavior. But lately my mother inherited some money and she is trying to manipulate my mother into giving it to her. Not even share it with me.
She manipulates everyone in my surroundings to think I'm the bad guy first so no one thinks that she is the real slimy scumbag azing after my mother's cash. She lies all the time lately. She even stated she overheard me begging to my mom to buy me a brand new car even though I haven't said such thing. i told my mother the first thing she should do with her money is go on a vacation on her own, without the issues and troubles at home.
I don't give a crap what she does with her money. For all I care she spends it all. I only wish if she would repay my money I borrowed her 3 years ago so I could have an eye surgery to repair my damaged eyes.
My sister at the same time is looking for houses with lots of stables for my mom to buy, or she's looking for a big car and van to move her horses around, or she is looking to build nice stables on our lot.
She's angry that I talk my mother out of it. Often twisting the story when confronted into trying to blame me for something. It's tiresome and frustrating. Everytime she gets confronted she changes subject to that one time I forgot to close the door and that she got mad for example. You can't really argument with her because she starts yelling, crying, telling she's going to kill herself, etc...
Lately though I've began to worry because we had a brochure of a company that deals in building stables and other horse furnishing in the mail. I asked my sister if she had anything to do with this but she just acted like her nose bled. Now my mother showed me a letter that came with it that she tried to hide stating the order was done in my mother's name even though she didn't ask for it at all...
I don't know what the gently caress to do with this anymore. I'm beyond pissed off at the moment. My mother is a very naive person that is easily manipulated because of her traumatic background and here my sister is just taking advantage of it for the loving scumbag she is. I wasn't supposed to tell my dad about this inheritage, at first I didn't know why but now it's clear that my sister is trying to not hurt her image as daddy's little princess (I don't really come on good terms with my father like my sister because of it)
tl;dr: Sister is absolutely obsessed with horses, tries to manipulate my mother into giving her inheritance to her for her horses

I really hope that English is not this person's native tongue because the way she wrote this is really confusing. I still don't understand how her sister forced her to buy horse riding gear when she was young. Do 10 year olds (or whatever age she was) really have the money to pay for saddles and what not? I also have not clue what she's saying in that second bolded part. Why would she lend money to her mom for her own eye surgery?

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Bird in a Blender posted:

I really hope that English is not this person's native tongue because the way she wrote this is really confusing. I still don't understand how her sister forced her to buy horse riding gear when she was young. Do 10 year olds (or whatever age she was) really have the money to pay for saddles and what not? I also have not clue what she's saying in that second bolded part. Why would she lend money to her mom for her own eye surgery?

Her sister apparently manipulated her mum to force her to go horse riding, somehow. And her mum bought her all this horse stuff she doesn't want and now her mum is complaining.

And she wishes for her mum to pay her back some money mum owes her so that she can get an eye surgery for that money.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Photex posted:

she's looking for a big car and van to move her horses around

Well at least they're small horses

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Like Lil' Sebastian!

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The worst at conspicuous consumption: North Koreans buy refrigerators as a status symbol (even though they don't have the electricity to use them) and teenagers carry USB sticks on their keychains to indicate they own a COMPUTER at home.
http://www.minyanville.com/mvpremium/2011/08/09/class-divisions-widen-in-worlds/

They generally use the fridges to hold books.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Just a little bite sized piece of content

I have no idea what he wants with this $20, but it’s definitely something that is going to fall under BWM

zelah fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 25, 2017

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

zelah posted:

I have no idea what he wants with this $20, but it’s definitely something that is going to fall under BWM

PayPal lets unverified users turn incoming money into outgoing money without a bank account or card on file? That seems... risky on their part?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Drunk Tomato posted:

Uh oh brand new car broke, finance a new car!

Uh oh brand new car broke, finance a new car!

Uh oh

This story feels more sad than BWM -- it's basically "low-income 22-year-old falls victim to predatory auto companies", combined with a bunch of E/N and being_poor_in_america.txt.

(It's still BWM, but also :smith:)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
This is some sweet BWM. Taking your entire state pension as a lump sum. That seems alright so far. What could possibly go wrong?

quote:

The freedoms were introduced two years ago and allow those over the age of 55 to take their entire pension pot as a lump sum, with the first 25pc tax-free as usual and the rest taxed as if it were income.

Well this could happen where someone spends it all in six months. At least he spent it on a flash car, gambling and drinking instead of wasting the money paying bills.

quote:

One of her clients spent £120,000 of his pension pot on “gambling, a car and alcohol", she said. Ms Hewitt wrote that this individual had held a lucrative engineering job until he was made redundant, his house was repossessed and he fell into a spiral of depression.

His benefits had been stopped due to his savings, including a pension, but once this was investigated it was discovered he had spent all the money. He later released a further £20,000 from his pot against the advice of his accountant.

Ms Hewitt writes that his pot was originally worth £250,000 and the man had drawn on as much as possible, paying very high rates of tax in the process.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/news/retiree-spent-120k-pension-six-months-car-gambling-drink-mps/

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

zelah posted:

A former coworker found a deal on a sports jersey of his favorite athlete. I think it was like $40 and a really good deal, however ...

The coworker called a sibling to beg for the money. He didn't have $40 to his name to pay for a sports jersey.

I'm pretty sure he got it

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Devian666 posted:

This is some sweet BWM. Taking your entire state pension as a lump sum. That seems alright so far. What could possibly go wrong?

Well this could happen where someone spends it all in six months. At least he spent it on a flash car, gambling and drinking instead of wasting the money paying bills.

quote:

She continues that he had been suffering through a period of ill mental health.

“I think he chose to spend his money, not to take advantage of the benefit system, but because he didn’t care what happened to him, had addiction issues and knew there would eventually be a safety net.”

The true BWM is the British government allowing people to make themselves destitute and reliant on safety nets and charity.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I don't think a lack of safety nets would help with the whole "people make themselves/become destitute" issue. It doesn't seem to be the case anyways

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The article is about a change made in 2015 in the U.K. that gave people a lot more freedom to draw down their pension funds at whatever rapid idiot pace they wanted. Turns out may have been a bad idea.

It would be like letting people in the U.S. take out their social security in a lump sum and then hope it works out somehow.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ahh, yep that would be horrible. My friend's parents got a long-awaited settlement that they should really sock away for the future as only Mom works (to a very limited degree), and Dad is diabetic.

I think they're on their third cruise of the year right now, and Dad got a fully loaded truck right off a dealership earlier this year :allears:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

So uh what’s the plan for handling a bunch of broke myopic seniors?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Process them into Horse Feed and let the BWM come full circle, thus fulfilling the prophecies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Break them down for their base chemicals to be presented as gifts to The Sky Ones who will take over our planet in 2026. Duh.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

KingSlime posted:

I think they're on their third cruise of the year right now, and Dad got a fully loaded truck right off a dealership earlier this year :allears:

A new paid for truck isn't that BWM if you have a windfall, assuming you actually need a truck and don't currently have a reliable one. Assuming they are in their 50s or older and don't drive a ton, that could be the last vehicle they ever buy, and they will never have to make a car payment again. What is BWM is financing it or trading it in after 5 years.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Konstantin posted:

A new paid for truck isn't that BWM if you have a windfall, assuming you actually need a truck and don't currently have a reliable one. Assuming they are in their 50s or older and don't drive a ton, that could be the last vehicle they ever buy, and they will never have to make a car payment again. What is BWM is financing it or trading it in after 5 years.

Konstantin posted:

You know it’s very easy to spend $60k on a new truck...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Not a Children posted:

They'll become seasonal workers for Amazon.

Not really a joke. This is happening already.

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-camperforce-amazons-nomadic-retiree-army/

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Get elected by telling them filthy furriners stealing all the benefit money are the reason they're poor, then slash their benefits to create more broke myopic seniors desperate for someone with a funny accent to blame.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hey so I've been away from this thread for a few years. You guys may know this: whatever happened to that Slow Motion guy? Last time I was hanging out around these parts he had a whole thread dedicated just to him - I think it was titled "train wreck in slow motion" or something. I can't find it anymore though for some reason.

Never mind, title got changed. I found it!

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 26, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

You know it’s very easy to spend $60k on a new truck...

How else are you going to bring that horse home you just bought?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

This thread title makes me think of someone terminally I'll trying to laugh and then coughing up flem for 4 minutes

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Konstantin posted:

I think you have it completely backwards, buying a new truck in cash when 0% or nearly 0% interest rate financing is available is very BWM. Financing a gently used truck at a very low interest-rate that has done its most rapid depreciation but remains under warranty is potentially GWM.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

How else are you going to bring that horse home you just bought?

Is there such a thing as truck marriages?

edit:
Of loving course there is:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Instead of throwing confetti I bet they roll coal

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:

Free venue, no dresses for the bridesmaids, no flowers, probably using trucks they already own. This might be the ultimate GWM wedding.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Case of Natty Ice at every table instead of an open bar.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:

I'm pretty sure the guy leaning on the tire is holding a shotgun.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Devian666 posted:

I'm pretty sure the guy leaning on the tire is holding a shotgun.

It's a musical instrument.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Free venue, no dresses for the bridesmaids, no flowers, probably using trucks they already own. This might be the ultimate GWM wedding.

Ah, but the groom owes $200k in rolled over truck debt after trading in fourteen trucks in two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

State pension, complete with a guaranteed annual increase of either 2.5%, average earnings growth %, or inflation %, whichever is highest; paid for by mortgaging their childrens' and childrens' childrens' futures those lazy gimme-gimme-mine-mine something-for-nothing millennials.