Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Imo the best counterspell in modern is logic knot, because mostly it's just Counterspell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
On the other hand, Spell Queller laughs at your Cavern of Souls.

:argh: "Cavern naming God, cast Purphoros?"
:smaug: Quell dat poo poo

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
As a fish player I welcome this resurgence of UX(X) tempo/control.

More people need to play fish. It is an honest, blue collar deck for honest folks. A lunch pail, nine-to-five kind of deck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

:catstare:
Why are you leaking their hot secret tech to the internet?

Because I think my team is over hyping it. I’m staying on bant spirits, play the deck you know.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

play the deck you know.

Still one of if not the most important rules of Modern IMO.

At the same time I was a topdeck away from going 3-1 last FNM with a deck I had sleeved up for the first time about five minutes prior to the start of the event.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Because I think my team is over hyping it. I’m staying on bant spirits, play the deck you know.

This seems to be the best rule of thumb for every nonrotating/eternal format. With all the intricacies of every deck, and the sheer number of playable decks, knowledge gained by grinding with your favorite deck will generally give you better results than switching to some flavor of the week deck, even if the flavor of the week is a "better" deck than your personal favorite.

There are exceptions to this rule.....see Eldrazi Winter.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Arena stream with the beta details is about to start
https://go.twitch.tv/magic

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Archenteron posted:

On the other hand, Spell Queller laughs at your Cavern of Souls.

:argh: "Cavern naming God, cast Purphoros?"
:smaug: Quell dat poo poo

"Quell, actually..."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tainen posted:

Arena stream with the beta details is about to start
https://go.twitch.tv/magic

So when do I get to play with virtual pretend cards?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

So when do I get to play with virtual pretend cards?

Invites start November 3rd and they want to get the "priority queue" cleared by the end of November.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

black potus posted:

"Quell, actually..."

:vince:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Katana Gomai posted:

Invites start November 3rd and they want to get the "priority queue" cleared by the end of November.

Cool. I'm glad I went to the pre-release to tap dinosaurs.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
So the beta will start on November 3rd and for the first few weeks will be only online during specific times during the weekend to stress test. These tests will be using pre-constructed decks only. The goal is that by November 30th all the priority people will be in and the servers will be switched on 24/7. Once this happens it will be Ixalan constructed single game matches only. After a few weeks of that they will turn on full ranked best of 3 matches with they deck builder and they will slowly add in the Kaladesh and Amonkhet cards until they are caught up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is it eventually going to support Modern and Vintage?

What about Limited? Cracking packs is fun, even if they're pretend.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So whats better Anti Storm tech in Affinity? Rule of Law or Thalia?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

They have only committed to standard at the moment.

They said draft is fully functional at the moment but won't make beta till early next year probably

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Ethersworn Canonist?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I suspect they'll work their way backwards through the sets to eventually support Modern, but no way do they go all the way back to ABU for Legacy and Vintage. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they skip a few super weird Modern cards like Panglacial Wurm that really stretch the rules.

Limited seems inevitable; if they have a stable way to play Standard, the draft portion is kind of just a way of building a deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cactrot posted:

Ethersworn Canonist?

That seems to be out of favor for some reason.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

mcmagic posted:

I'm hard pressed to think of what that reason might be

Comedy option: thoughtseize?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

mcmagic posted:

Probably Thalia, easier to cast and supports Affinity's game plan more than a do-nothing-else enchantment.

Canonist falls to all the same artifact hate they'll be bringing in anyways, like Shattering Spree, etc. Rule of Law's main advantage is that they'll have to rely on Echoing Truth instead of creature removal; it may depend on whether you're on the play or draw and can drop it before their turn 3.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

The reasons are pretty dumb. The reasons mainly are that canonist dies to lightning bolt and other artifact removal they might run while at least thalia will disrupt a little. This is dumb considering thalia is legendary and disrupts your own gameplan while rule of law has no synergy at all. These are all worse IMO.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I used to have a lot of fun trolling Storm by using Birthing Pod to fetch Eidolon of Rhetoric.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

The reasons are pretty dumb. The reasons mainly are that canonist dies to lightning bolt and other artifact removal they might run while at least thalia will disrupt a little. This is dumb considering thalia is legendary and disrupts your own gameplan while rule of law has no synergy at all. These are all worse IMO.

I mean, storm will often play a shattering spree in the sideboard and they're already bringing that card in for affinity so that's probably a decent argument for not using it in affinity sideboards specifically. Also anything that can cast eidolon on t2 should use that instead of canonist thanks to bolt, I used eidolon when I played company and I know elves prefers eidolon as well.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My friend just runs 2 rest in peace 2 thoughtseize because they're more generally useful and Affinity only needs to disrupt storm for a couple of turns since it presents such a fast clock.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

Thalia + Eidolon of Rhetoric

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Cracking packs is fun, even if they're pretend.

I just bought some sleeves at my FLGS today and someone in the store was opening a boz of Kaladesh. He was hoping to pull a Chandra and singles for commander. Nearly every card he wanted was available to buy in store for way less than the cost of that entire box.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Balon posted:

Thalia + Eidolon of Rhetoric

I got eidolon of rhetoric + Kira in play against a grixis deaths shadow player the other day. Felt good man.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDnWbD3eJVg

Whatever will suicidesteve's reaction be??

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Star Man posted:

I just bought some sleeves at my FLGS today and someone in the store was opening a boz of Kaladesh. He was hoping to pull a Chandra and singles for commander. Nearly every card he wanted was available to buy in store for way less than the cost of that entire box.

I said "fun," not "rationally optimal as a consumer choice." :colbert:

Also if I spring for a box instead of opening them alone like a sad man doing scratch off tickets alone at the PDQ I am drafting it with friends.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Rinkles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDnWbD3eJVg

Whatever will suicidesteve's reaction be??

en-com-passes?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Anybody else just get the stress test event invite for arena?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I got the invite

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

No. :smith:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I said "fun," not "rationally optimal as a consumer choice." :colbert:

Also if I spring for a box instead of opening them alone like a sad man doing scratch off tickets alone at the PDQ I am drafting it with friends.

Oh, believe me, I like opening packs too and buy a Modern Masters 2015 or 2017 or Eternal Masters pack every once in a while on a lark.

It's just that "opening packs is fun" is the reason people give me when I watch them drop $100 on a booster box and rip the whole thing open and get a whole lot of nothing. I wouldn't have that problem if they got a group together for a draft, even of the buyer was going to keep all the cards anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's plenty of app games that give you free packs every day if you feel the terrible need to just open packs of some sort.

The only sad thing is that you cannot play flip it or rip it with them. :negative:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I got my first ever structure deck today since I want to actually learn how to play and there's a place that runs get-togethers near my house. So I got the Jace deck with all of the Merfolk in it and the two booster packs that came with it had two pretty solid looking cards in Favorable Winds (blue spell which buffs flying monsters ) and Waker of the Wilds (turns lands into creatures) although I'm not sure if they'll end up in my deck or not. There's also this big old boat which looks cool but is probably more effort than it's worth.

I do have a couple of questions though

1) how exactly do Planeswalker cards function? Jace has three abilities and one of them has a -9 on it which I don't understand.
2) I got these two treasure cards in my booster packs which have different backs. What's the deal with them?
3) I got this double sided card. One side is Dowsing Dagger and the other is a land. The land side says that it transforms from Dowsing Dagger and I'm at a loss about how it's supposed to function

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

http://manadeprived.com/men-magic-building-community/

Daniel Fournier posted:

Just over two years ago, Jim Davis wrote an unfortunate article titled “Women and Magic” in response to a similarly-titled Meghan Wolff article ... Today, we’re going to take a quick look at the state of inclusivity in Magic in 2017 and use the framework of the Davis article to see what we, the male majority, can do to help.

I've definitely been guilty of assuming a girlfriend of a regular at the LGS wasn't there to play FNM. For a while I just thought of Lepore as DeTora's boyfriend, but he was the exception that proves the rule.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I can help with 2 and 3. The treasure cards are just placeholder tokens and nothing more. Many cards in Ixalan generate treasure as an effect and you use those to show how.many you have.

Transform cards have a normal face with a cost and a transformed face. You play the side with a cost printed on it like any card, and when the condition printed on the first face is met, you may/must (depending on the card) flip it. The card is now solely whatever is on the flipped side and whatever it used to be is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Testekill posted:

1) how exactly do Planeswalker cards function? Jace has three abilities and one of them has a -9 on it which I don't understand.
2) I got these two treasure cards in my booster packs which have different backs. What's the deal with them?
3) I got this double sided card. One side is Dowsing Dagger and the other is a land. The land side says that it transforms from Dowsing Dagger and I'm at a loss about how it's supposed to function

1) Play one ability of each Planeswalker you control each turn. The number bottom right is how many loyalty ot starts with, the + or - are how many counters are added or removed as a cost.
2) tokens, back not really relevant.
3) play dagger as equipment, transform when equipped creature hits opponent.