Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

itsjustdrew posted:

Why does my headset buzz when I put my feet up but stops when my feet are on the floor? I believe this thread was made for this question.

You probably have the dreaded ground loop. You can confirm by keeping your feet up, but touching something grounded like your metal PC case (on an area without paint.)

The fix may not be easy. You can try a cheap isolation transformer like: https://www.amazon.com/ZIOCOM-Isolator-Eliminate-Buzzing-Completely/dp/B019FC6ZQQ but there's no guarantee it will kill it completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Rexxed posted:

Most of the posts I see attribute this to a GPU problem. What GPU do you have, how hot does it get, is it overclocked, are the drivers up to date?

MSI 970 Gaming 4G, stock speeds and I updated the drivers a few days ago to see if that would help (it didn't) Temps look fine. A couple of times the display output had stopped it actually managed to recover saying "display driver crashed but recovered" so I don't know if that also points to the GPU.

Volta can't get here quick enough. I might try buying a 1060 until it does then flip the 1060.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I just built a new pc for my boss and everything works fine and had no problems during the build. What did I do wrong????

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Puddin posted:

So I just built a new pc for my boss and everything works fine and had no problems during the build. What did I do wrong????

You touched the PC.

Any problem 5 years from now is YOUR FAULT!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ak Gara posted:

MSI 970 Gaming 4G, stock speeds and I updated the drivers a few days ago to see if that would help (it didn't) Temps look fine. A couple of times the display output had stopped it actually managed to recover saying "display driver crashed but recovered" so I don't know if that also points to the GPU.

Whenever I've had that error it's a video driver issue, and the only sure-fire fix I've ever found is to roll back to a previous restore point.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Gromit posted:

Whenever I've had that error it's a video driver issue, and the only sure-fire fix I've ever found is to roll back to a previous restore point.

What if I use a clean installer of an older version of driver?

It's been happening more frequently lately but I can't remember when it first started to happen. Quite a few months ago.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ak Gara posted:

What if I use a clean installer of an older version of driver?

It's been happening more frequently lately but I can't remember when it first started to happen. Quite a few months ago.

It kind of sounds like a hardware issue, but just in case it's drivers, it's worth doing the whole Display Driver Uninstaller thing (reboot in safe mode, run it, reboot then reinstall the latest driver).
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

If it keeps happening after that then it's not the drivers.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Rexxed posted:

It kind of sounds like a hardware issue, but just in case it's drivers, it's worth doing the whole Display Driver Uninstaller thing (reboot in safe mode, run it, reboot then reinstall the latest driver).

I wont know if it's work until I know it hasn't, but using that program reminded me of another problem that may or may not have been related.

Accessing the Nvidia Control panel used to hang for 10 seconds, selecting the Change Resolution option also took a fair few seconds to do, and selecting the Manage 3D settings used to take ages, and any change I made and applied used to hang for a bit too.

Now it's all instant!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

It is gigabit. There are 2 or 3 devices connected at gigabit , And 4 more at 100

Of note I may have missed , all the 100 connections are cameras , which are pulling power.

The other connections operating at gigabit are other pcs or direct links to other switches , which remain active while the camera ports are the ones that crap out

Specifically , the units pulling power crap out , regular Ethernet seems to remain up

If you apply external power supply(POE injector or wall plug) do the cameras continue working with just passing ethernet?
Also I may have missed if you said, but are all the ports powered, or is this a switch with some POE and some not?

Agreed that something is not upto standard and is freaking it out, whether its the cameras or your slim PC, who knows

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

If you apply external power supply(POE injector or wall plug) do the cameras continue working with just passing ethernet?
Also I may have missed if you said, but are all the ports powered, or is this a switch with some POE and some not?

Agreed that something is not upto standard and is freaking it out, whether its the cameras or your slim PC, who knows

Some of the cameras are a whole ball of poo poo to begin with. They're running on old 2 pair wire and fed into an nvt2 to bring them over to Ethernet. It's complicated. However at least one of the cameras is a brand new poe camera connected normally and it shuts down as well

Yes all the ports are powered

I mean it works as is with the pc into a small switch plugged in the main poe switch , I just hate daisy changing poo poo like that it looks sloppy and triggers me

I'll futz around with it next week just for giggles because I like to know why things don't work like expected

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My RAM slots don't seem to hold onto one of my RAM sticks very well. It physically comes loose of the clips and pulls off of the socket. Is there anything I can do about that, or should I just plan on getting a new motherboard?

Mobo: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157774
Ram Sto: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232550

If you're curious, my living room floor wobbles a bit when I walk. Old hardwood. Never caused a problem on my old computer, but the new one has a much heavier CPU cooler hanging on it. I may just set the thing on its side and call it fixed.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
What does LPX and LT mean when it comes to RAM? Do I even have to worry about that? Planning to get a pair of 8GB 2666 Corsair Sticks for a Ryzen 1600 (2666 supposedly being the "sweet spot").

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Get faster if you can aford it and make sure its B die. Lpx etc are just manufacturer model names

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got a PS3 controller and have been using SCP Driver package. I've had an absolute nightmare with it. It works flawlessly at times, but will randomly poo poo the bed and refuse to work no matter what I do.

Is there a better program I can get to use my PS3 controller on my PC?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
What kind of Bluetooth receiver are you using?

That almost sounds like the device momentarily losing communication with the computer, and if you have a $5 Amazon special I could see that being the cause.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Geoj posted:

What kind of Bluetooth receiver are you using?

That almost sounds like the device momentarily losing communication with the computer, and if you have a $5 Amazon special I could see that being the cause.

Oh, it's not bluetooth. It's a wired connection. My PC doesn't have bluetooth.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Treat yourself to a dualshock 4, they work really well on PC and a lot of games even have support built in

Ds3 on a PC has always been a hack at best

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Treat yourself to a dualshock 4, they work really well on PC and a lot of games even have support built in

Ds3 on a PC has always been a hack at best

Is DS4 a simple plug-and-play kind of deal, or is there some janky software I'll need to download for that as well?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Q8ee posted:

Is DS4 a simple plug-and-play kind of deal, or is there some janky software I'll need to download for that as well?

In my opinion, if you want to avoid jankiness altogether, go the Xbox (360/One) controller route. All games in the last few years have built in XInput support, the buttons will match up with the controller, and you don't need to gently caress around.

The Xbox One controller is Bluetooth (I have no experience with it, though), but the Xbox 360 one has its own special dongle which always works fantastically.

vvv Huh, I have literally never had that happen, and I had a 360 from launch. Fair enough. I did go through 3 Xbox 360s, though, they were way less reliable than the controllers

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've had really bad luck with xbox controllers. The bumpers break within a week of normal use. That's £20 wasted and I end up left with a semi-functional controller. PS controllers seem a lot more resilient.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I just realized my OS hard drive is like 5 years old, which freaks me out(even though my important pictures and stuff are saved in 2 other locations), and HD's are cheap. I have a 1TB WD blue and I just bought a new one, what is the best way to simply clone my OS drive so I can get rid of the aging one?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jaxyon posted:

I just realized my OS hard drive is like 5 years old, which freaks me out(even though my important pictures and stuff are saved in 2 other locations), and HD's are cheap. I have a 1TB WD blue and I just bought a new one, what is the best way to simply clone my OS drive so I can get rid of the aging one?

Macrium Reflect Free

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Q8ee posted:

Yes and no

A lot of steam stuff works already just plugging in, so do a selection of non steam things like the asscreeds

Anything else and ds4windows is the software you need, it does actually work though and all it really does it tell the computer it's an Xbox controller

If you're feeling super swish, there's an official dongle to connect it wirelessly

Xbox controllers are truly plug and play yes, but if you're not a fan of the controller then it's not much good

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Every manufacturer provides a free copy of Acronis on their website.

https://www.wdc.com/products/features/acronis.html

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Yes and no

A lot of steam stuff works already just plugging in, so do a selection of non steam things like the asscreeds

Anything else and ds4windows is the software you need, it does actually work though and all it really does it tell the computer it's an Xbox controller

If you're feeling super swish, there's an official dongle to connect it wirelessly

Xbox controllers are truly plug and play yes, but if you're not a fan of the controller then it's not much good

I think I'll just do that, then. The worst thing about SCP Toolkit is that it'll sometimes override a game's controls to controller scheme, mainly noticeable in PUBG: if I die, I'm unable to spectate because there's no spectate button, just "Press A to exit to lobby". Even if the controller is unplugged!

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
My MSI 970GTX 4G Golden Edition poo poo the bed a couple of days ago. I sent the card in for RMA work and sure enough they responded that they couldn't replace the card with the same one since a limited amount was made. They offered a replacement "upgrade" card that's a lovely base model 1060. The specs are an upgrade but reviews of the card pretty much say that it's super cheap, bad cooling, no backplate, etc. Has anyone dealt with offers like this from an RMA? I wrote back asking what my options were but swapping from a nicely cooled (and expensive) gaming GPU to a run of the mill 1060 seems like a lovely deal. Is it possible to haggle with them or should I cut my losses and take what they offer me?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Ask for a gaming x or something

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Rexxed posted:

I've tried that in the past and had it not help, whereas the restore point thing did. I can only assume there was some combination of drivers that was causing it.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

Ask for a gaming x or something

I asked for another gaming edition and they pretty much shot me down. The rep said the card they're offering is an upgrade over the one I sent in.
Their offer: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-6GT-OCV1
My old card: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-970-GAMING-4G-Golden-Edition/

From what I've read that 1060 is a budget card and sucks. No back plate, no heatsink attached to the memory. overclocked from the factory and runs hotter than hell. I've replaced the card with a GTX 1080 already so it's not like I'm hurting to get a card back.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The 1060 is an upgrade. If you think it shouldn't be overclocked, turn it down. Set a fan curve. It's not worth wasting your time over.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
I'm having a weird problem trying to replace my girlfriend's Lenovo Ideapad hard drive for an SSD, namely she bought it in Japan and I can't find an easy way to tell what's compatible with her laptop. For some reason part of the model number is in both English, Japanese and Chinese.

Can anyone help me out and tell me if it even has an m.2 slot for an SSD, or if it's SATA 3 or what?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hold The Ashes posted:

Can anyone help me out and tell me if it even has an m.2 slot for an SSD, or if it's SATA 3 or what?

Regular 2.5" SATA3 drive bottom left here. If there is a second drive in the laptop, it would be in the optical disc drive caddy and also be a 2.5" drive. There's no slot for drives in card form.

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014
How efficient are server vapor chamber coolers? I've been tasked with making a 2u server be quiet enough to exist in a lab.

I know i can hook up an 80mm radiator with a d5 and send it off to the races with two blocks, but preferably I'd rather not.

I know to make it quiet I'd need to take out the n+1 80mm fans out, but I also know that the static pressure and airflow I'd get out of a fan I'd prefer to use, (nf-a8), would be dramatically less as I'd cut potential rpm by 6000rpm.

This being said, I'd have to replace the stock hp proliant vapor chamber coolers. How do they measure up to standard coolers? Say a hyper t2 (even if it wouldn't fit, I know it wouldn't.)

I know it depends on the processor for heat output, but for the sake of argument say a pair of e5630s.

Kapzy
Aug 15, 2015

I recently built a gaming PC and it was fine while watching youtube it was hitting 35 degrees Celsius and out of nowhere it started htting ~40-50 degrees while just watching youtube and it stays aroung that while gaming. I had it on the carpet before i moved to my new setup and just wanted to know if i should be worried about the temps.
Here are my specs:
Fractal Focus G ATX Mid Tower
EVGA 650 Power supply(Gold Standard)
WD 1TB(72000RPM)
CORSAIR Vengenace LED 16gb DDR4
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler
Intel Core i5 7600k
Asus Prime B250M Motherboard
Asus GeForce 1060 6gb Graphics card

Here is where i have it now:
https://imgur.com/4iqKFco

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Desktops can handle temperatures up to around 80 C without any problems. The motherboard/gpu fan controllers will throttle fan speed at mid to low temperatures to avoid making too much noise. What you describe isn't alarming, although it is possible that the carpet could impede air flow when the computer is really being stressed.

Kapzy
Aug 15, 2015

Fruits of the sea posted:

Desktops can handle temperatures up to around 80 C without any problems. The motherboard/gpu fan controllers will throttle fan speed at mid to low temperatures to avoid making too much noise. What you describe isn't alarming, although it is possible that the carpet could impede air flow when the computer is really being stressed.

I moved it off the carpet so it should be fine i was just worried

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014

Capitus Von Doom posted:

I moved it off the carpet so it should be fine i was just worried

Another thing you can do is buy another fan and attach it to the 212. It comes with extra brackets. Use a push pull config and the 212 is a drat good cooler for the money.

If you look at sims of it it only shaves 2 degrees off, but in low air flow environments it'll increase static pressure and probably help out more than you'd think. Also you can do what I used to do with a push pull and run 2 at 1/2 to 3/4 speed of base and have a quiet cooler.

Ezekial fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 31, 2017

Kapzy
Aug 15, 2015

Has anyone had a problem with steam crashing if you plug in an Xbox one Controller? It crashes every time i plug it in

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Due to someone ruining it for everyone, I've been asked in my office if I can set up our Internet so that we have URL logging so that we can go back at any time and see where particular users have gone. I am not looking to block any sites or restrict use, just to keep a log of where everyone is going should there be an issue further down the track.
I'd rather not have to set up my own linux box running a proxy server or something like that, as I have plenty of other stuff on my plate without having that hassle and it's not like I have to pay for anything with my own money so the more turn-key the better.

Does anyone know of any small boxes that could do this? I've briefly looked at pfSense who have custom-built systems that look okay, but I've never used one to know if it's what I'm after. I'd settle for a modem/router that does logging but I'm not sure those exist to the degree I need. Maybe something with a custom firmware that can push data out to a secure machine on the network? Obviously the logs need to be somewhere that users can't just go and edit/delete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Would like some clarification regarding the three different aspects of Microsoft Cloud Service / Azure

So my understanding is that there are three different parts of their service:

IaaS - Infrastructure as a Service - Somethign like Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services etc. Just the basic servers and the company renting it can do whatever on them.
PaaS - Platform as a Service - Not sure
SaaS - Software as a Service - Includes everything mentioned above and a good example would be Dropbox and Google Apps

So I'm confused on what PaaS entails. Does anyone have a common business that utilizes PaaS?