Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The important thing is that we have to be super nice to poor white heroin addicts. And keep their supply coming while trying to fight their terrible addiction.

As opposed to just busting down their doors with tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

The important thing is that we have to be super nice to poor white heroin addicts. And keep their supply coming while trying to fight their terrible addiction.

As opposed to just busting down their doors with tanks.

Treating drug addiction like a criminal offense is counter productive and cruel.

Yes I know what you're referring to and the crack crisis of the eighties was criminally mismanaged.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

As much as it pains me to admit it seeing that I'm 35, anyone born from 1980 and up is considered a "millenial". So yeah death to all late millennials I guess?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Snowman_McK posted:

This is it in a nutshell. There was a video addressing the idea that he's the 'warmonger' candidate, and it played brief clips of him saying 'Libya is a disaster' or 'Syria is a disaster' same with Iraq and, weirdly, the Balkans. The thing is, he doesn't give any indication of why. Are we not doing enough? Are we doing too much? Are we too ruthless? Too soft? Whatever you think the problem is, it lets you draw your own conclusion about what he is saying the solution is.

This in particular isn't a Trump thing though. Pretty much every Republican criticism of Obama's foreign policy was to call it a disaster and then offer one of three alternatives:

1.) Bomb everything!
2.) Basically exactly what Obama was doing already but with more frowning and chest beating that will make things work somehow because it's now a big manly conservative doing it.
3. *crickets*

Trump was absolutely on the party line, just being Trump when he actually offered one of the first two he sounded more like a RWM listener than a RWM host.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

FizFashizzle posted:

Treating drug addiction like a criminal offense is counter productive and cruel.

Yes I know what you're referring to and the crack crisis of the eighties was criminally mismanaged.

Funny how we always learn those lessons when bad things happen to white people and then unlearn them again when brown people start having them.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Lol congratulate the president of China on his big win? He grabbed 5 more years of rule (that will no doubt be extended indefinitely) and solidified his position as dictator of the country via a rubber stamp Parliament or whatever the hell it's called in China.

Of course Trump would consider that a big victory, he'd do the same thing if he could. Or at least he hasn't yet.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Charliegrs posted:

Lol congratulate the president of China on his big win? He grabbed 5 more years of rule (that will no doubt be extended indefinitely) and solidified his position as dictator of the country via a rubber stamp Parliament or whatever the hell it's called in China.

Of course Trump would consider that a big victory, he'd do the same thing if he could. Or at least he hasn't yet.

You incorrectly assume that Trump has even the slightest idea on how China's politics work. He thinks there were elections.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Charliegrs posted:

Do you know how China works?

:toxx: Xi will step down in 5 years :toxx:

Dude, Clinton/Bush/Obama are totally going to grab power *this time!*

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/923334131098021888

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Killer robot posted:

This in particular isn't a Trump thing though. Pretty much every Republican criticism of Obama's foreign policy was to call it a disaster and then offer one of three alternatives:

1.) Bomb everything!
2.) Basically exactly what Obama was doing already but with more frowning and chest beating that will make things work somehow because it's now a big manly conservative doing it.
3. *crickets*

Trump was absolutely on the party line, just being Trump when he actually offered one of the first two he sounded more like a RWM listener than a RWM host.

I know it's a general thing in politics, too. I mean, you need to sound good to the broadest possible number of people, and not everyone can do the Obama thing where he can actually completely switch modes between rooms, or even sentences. I just rarely saw it so blatantly as with Trump, where he never offered something that even sounded like a workable solution.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I though China appoints it's leaders based on whatever the urgent nation building thing is in the eyes of the Communist party. For example in the 80's it was engineers, now it's bankers and financial experts. I'm also pretty sure President isn't even his official title but General Secretary of Central Committee of the Communist Party of China aka the only legal party. Trump also seems ill equipped to handle the yoke of a virtually uncontested Xi and China. Like if he wants to start a trade war with them fine, but the United States is in loving chaos right now and I'm pretty sure Xi knows exactly what he wants to do and has the mandate for it.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 26, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Data Graham posted:

I don't know if it's more alarming that he thinks "the opioid" is because of Mexico, or that he thinks it has to do with why we pay so much more for prescription drugs in the US than in Canada.

E: it's like, he stumbled drunkenly up to the point that he thinks it might be a good thing to do something about a thing where Americans are legit disadvantaged compared to the rest of the world, then he veered off at the last moment into "actually it's because we're being suckered into paying everyone else's bills and that's got to stop" and then somehow concluded that actually it's Mexico playing us for saps by smuggling in cheap drugs to sell us at a million percent markup or something i don't loving know

Prescription drugs = drugs

drug cartel = drugs

They are they same thing because Trump thinks literally.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

It was loving bullshit when Bush started shifting money to faith based groups, but this is even bigger bullshit. Our separation of church and state has been hosed up for so long, and it's just getting worse.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Snowman_McK posted:

I know it's a general thing in politics, too. I mean, you need to sound good to the broadest possible number of people, and not everyone can do the Obama thing where he can actually completely switch modes between rooms, or even sentences. I just rarely saw it so blatantly as with Trump, where he never offered something that even sounded like a workable solution.

That's true. Also it was so noticeable with Trump because he did the same thing with all sorts of domestic policies where Republicans usually have a clear message. So you got earnest "Trump is totally gonna be for big infrastructure works, LGBT rights, and anti-corruption initiatives" things from people who would never have said that about Cruz or Jeb.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Data Graham posted:

I don't know if it's more alarming that he thinks "the opioid" is because of Mexico, or that he thinks it has to do with why we pay so much more for prescription drugs in the US than in Canada.

E: it's like, he stumbled drunkenly up to the point that he thinks it might be a good thing to do something about a thing where Americans are legit disadvantaged compared to the rest of the world, then he veered off at the last moment into "actually it's because we're being suckered into paying everyone else's bills and that's got to stop" and then somehow concluded that actually it's Mexico playing us for saps by smuggling in cheap drugs to sell us at a million percent markup or something i don't loving know

you're trying too hard to suss out a coherent narrative here. it's just free association. he starts talking about canadian prescription drugs. then somewhere in his brain mush "prescription drugs" connects to "opioid crisis," so he rambles on about that for a few sentences. and while he's talking about the bad drugs that naturally connects to mexico so might as well mention the wall.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Trump didn't deliver unified anything. He was barely coherent within sentences.

As the poster above says, he's an inkblot for white rage.

You're confusing his personal ability and speeches with the overarching strength of the unified messaging. MAGA is loving effective as a slogan when you're selling childhood dreams. Don't confuse policy or positions with narrative. Trump delivered a coherent narrative of a return to a mythical America and a rejection of American elites. He found enough people desperate with their lives who were willing to go with the man telling them their base desires can be true rather than the people shilling complex solutions to inexact problems.

This is a narrative that aligns very well with the Republican base of assorted bigots and wannabe captains of industry so I'm not arguing that this specific narrative is key to victory, but instead that having this kind of narrative at all is critical to even beginning to make headway.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I got yelled out of the room multiple times by people like Trab for saying that if you have a choice between a con-man promising you things you want and someone seriously offering advocating things you know are bad, it makes sense to go for the con-man. Even if everything else is obviously on the con-man.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

I got yelled out of the room multiple times by people like Trab for saying that if you have a choice between a con-man promising you things you want and someone seriously offering advocating things you know are bad, it makes sense to go for the con-man. Even if everything else is obviously on the con-man.

:rolleyes:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HappyHippo posted:

you're trying too hard to suss out a coherent narrative here. it's just free association. he starts talking about canadian prescription drugs. then somewhere in his brain mush "prescription drugs" connects to "opioid crisis," so he rambles on about that for a few sentences. and while he's talking about the bad drugs that naturally connects to mexico so might as well mention the wall.

Drug prices are high so people buy cheaper illegal drugs leading to an opioid crisis.

It's a dumb idea and his broken brain mangles it further but that's the story he's trying to tell.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

What? You were a real piece of poo poo during the election.

A real shrill for hill.

And that's OK.

You seemed to have reformed.

But I'm OK with calling it out during a struggle session.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Honest to God, as a Christian and someone who interned with a faith based organization, I have no idea how they think faith based orgs have the resources and funding to tackle such a massive problem alone. A huge problem within service based ministries is that they are solely driven by a 'calling' and emphasize above all else, the ministry and religious side of the organization. I've found that a common theme is struggling with the business and logistical side. I guarantee you that a lot of communities are going to fall through the cracks, due to lack of efficiency.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hastings posted:

I guarantee you that a lot of communities are going to fall through the cracks, due to lack of efficiency.

Yeah, that's kind of the point.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You should leave your garbage faith or at the very least not be involved with super toxic faith-based organizations.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hastings posted:

Honest to God, as a Christian and someone who interned with a faith based organization, I have no idea how they think faith based orgs have the resources and funding to tackle such a massive problem alone.
they don't think that and have no intention of helping brown christians escape persecution, they're just trying to drum up support in america for a holy war

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)
Time to start a faith based organization?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TyroneGoldstein posted:

The messaging has been such that there's a cohort of disaffected (overwhelmingly white) lefties that get angry now at any sort nuance being expressed by other lefties.

Cory Booker gives a nay to the prescription bill floated by progressives. Cory Booker is from New Jersey which gets billions of dollars of business from the pharma industry and all the attendant high paying, specialized skill, jobs. Like NJ is a nucleus of the pharma industry and there are many households in northern NJ that benefit from pharma operating in the State.

What is Booker supposed to do?

Remember how, back in say, 2010 or so we all found it amusing that the right was constantly subjecting itself to purity tests? Welcome to the party, pal.

The interesting thing about my example above though...is that everyone has been led to the water....but cannot seemingly drink. Cory Booker's behavior is a negative externality of the lovely capital worship system we have today...but nobody is willing to fix that ailment.

Have you considered that the reason "nobody [in power] is willing to fix that ailment" has some relation to the fact that we keep putting people like Booker in power who are unwilling to fix that ailment?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 26, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

The fact that he thinks the opioid epidemic is because of Mexico means he doesn't understand enough to actually stop it.

The NJ Fatass is going to try again, but this time the limo route is going to be crazy so they don't pass any Taco Bells or other mexican restaurants.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Office Pig posted:

Yeah, that's kind of the point.

Yes, I know the GOP actively wants to kill as many people as possible, but most faith based orgs actually do want to help others. This is going to burden them immensely. My hope is that the locals get pissed as hell, turn on those ministering, and then the believers/workers fight back against the GOP for loving up their jobs. I know it is a pipe dream, but if there is one thing Christian and Repubs can both hate, it is someone loving up their flow of money.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Funny how we always learn those lessons when bad things happen to white people and then unlearn them again when brown people start having them.

The idea that drug addiction is being treated better now that the crisis is gripping more white populations is really only true in terms of rhetoric. More police officers, legislators and DAs certainly use progressive language about (white) heroin addicts, but in reality they continue to ramp up the War on Drugs. More states are passing laws to make selling, giving or even telling a person where to buy drugs first degree murder if they later overdose. The private prison industry is also expanding into "treatment centers" where addicts who haven't been convicted of a crime (or even arrested in certain states) can be involuntary committed.

The War on Drugs is too profitable for them to allow it to end just because more white people are getting crushed under the wheels.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

pkay posted:

Time to start a faith based organization?

It's a patronage based system. Not easy to break in and graft the system.

You need a backlog of right wing bona fides.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Have you considered that the reason "nobody [in power] is willing to fix that ailment" has some relation to the fact that we keep putting people like Booker in power?

Or maybe we have a system in place that really only allows people like Booker to get in power? This is like asking, why are so many professional athletes taking PED? The answer is pretty obvious even at face value.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
End The Senate and finish off the rest later.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Charliegrs posted:

As much as it pains me to admit it seeing that I'm 35, anyone born from 1980 and up is considered a "millenial". So yeah death to all late millennials I guess?

Ok, in the name of compromise we shift the cut-off to 37.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just death to a whole lot of people, frankly.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hastings posted:

Yes, I know the GOP actively wants to kill as many people as possible, but most faith based orgs actually do want to help others. This is going to burden them immensely. My hope is that the locals get pissed as hell, turn on those ministering, and then the believers/workers fight back against the GOP for loving up their jobs. I know it is a pipe dream, but if there is one thing Christian and Repubs can both hate, it is someone loving up their flow of money.

You think that faith based funding flows gonna go to people who want to help? It's the gop dude.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pkay posted:

Or maybe we have a system in place that really only allows people like Booker to get in power? This is like asking, why are so many professional athletes taking PED? The answer is pretty obvious even at face value.

Convincing people to vote to change the system is necessarily going to involve criticizing the ideology of the people that support the system, such as Cory Booker, so it's bizarre to use this as an argument against leftists.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Protip: Don't try to assign any kind of traditional logic to the thoughts or words of Donald Trump. This way madness lies.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Convincing people to vote to change the system is necessarily going to involve criticizing the ideology of the people that support the system, such as Cory Booker, so it's bizarre to use this as an argument against leftists.

I totally don't think you understood what I was saying. Basically what you just said is 'the system is broken, I know we will just use this broken system to fix the broken system!'

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
Also I know how to fix the police brutality problem. All we have to do is let the police investigate themselves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pkay posted:

I totally don't think you understood what I was saying. Basically what you just said is 'the system is broken, I know we will just use this broken system to fix the broken system!'

I mean okay, if you're a committed bomb-throwing anarchist I'm not going to stand in your way. The bomb-throwing anarchists might be right about this.

However when the person making this argument is not a revolutionary, and instead of throwing bricks he's white-knighting Cory Booker on the internet, then it's just disingenuous concern trolling.

• Locked thread