Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Haha drat, I always thought that expression had to do with meat on hooks for some reason. Actually has to do with drying cloth.

Tenterhooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, I kinda like tenderhooks better. Sounds more tense and uncomfortable anyways.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
it sounds bloody awful

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
love it

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
LOVE it!

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
trash...

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Glad to have you back, Avshalom. Always glad to hear your insight on these books.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
So, uh, he found something new to do that isn't writing: http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/myth-or-monster

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

StonecutterJoe posted:

So, uh, he found something new to do that isn't writing: http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/myth-or-monster

He looks like that. On purpose. Huh.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
My theory is that he had forgotten to have Kvothe actually kill a king and had to work that whole deal in. Woopsie

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Nevvy Z posted:

My theory is that he had forgotten to have Kvothe actually kill a king and had to work that whole deal in. Woopsie

I never even though that he forgot to write a killed king. The fact that we're still not even sure what king it could be that Kvothe kills should make this more obvious, I guess.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It seems like it'll be Ambrose, what with the little sections detailing how he's moving up the line of succession.

That could also be a misdirect, but I don't think Pat is that talented.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

It seems like it'll be Ambrose, what with the little sections detailing how he's moving up the line of succession.

That could also be a misdirect, but I don't think Pat is that talented.

It's gonna be Simm or a king we haven't even met yet. Mark my words.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's going to be Master Ash, and it'll end up he's also one of the Chandrian, and he'll have to kill Denna to get to him.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

He'll accidentally kill the king, making Ambrose the next king. Tha't enough to turn anyone into a depressed innkeeper.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tamba posted:

He'll accidentally kill the king, making Ambrose the next king. Tha't enough to turn anyone into a depressed innkeeper.
I think we have a winner.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tamba posted:

Everyone drinking the kool-aid was all on board with Rothfuss having some master plan and "unreliable narrator" being a possible twist but after 10 years of learning more and more about the person Rothfuss is only the die hard fans who blindly reject any form of criticism are still clinging to the meager fantasy that Rothfuss is actually a competent writer.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Rothfuss : Author :: Trump : President

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
So I started putting together BotL's critical reading into a book bind but it turns out its really loving long and I don't want to spend that much on a Chuck Tingle covered roasting of rothfart. If anyone has the means I would be totally down to spend :10bux: for a toilet reader.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.avclub.com/lin-manuel-mirandas-kingkiller-chronicle-series-is-head-1819889989

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quote:

The show is not a straight adaptation of The Kingkiller Chronicle—that’s what the films are for—but rather will take place in the same world a generation before the events of the books

Ffs.

quote:

“Pat Rothfuss’ Kingkiller books are among the most read and re-read in our home,” Miranda said in an earlier press release. “It’s a world you want to spend lifetimes in, as his many fans will attest. Pat also writes about the act of makingmusic more beautifully than any novelist I’ve ever read. I can’t wait to play a part in bringing this world to life onscreen.”

Isn't this the same person who made Hamilton's music?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Films AND a show?! Geezus.

Will people realize how silly certain things in the series are when they try to put it on film? Will the show end up being much much better than the films because they're written by professional Hollywood writers and not based directly on the novels?

So many questions.

Kingkiller could work as an anime though. In the fantasy/harem genre.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

PJOmega posted:

Ffs.

Isn't this the same person who made Hamilton's music?

Immortal Technique never should have apologized for putting this dork in the trash.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

Films AND a show?! Geezus.

Will people realize how silly certain things in the series are when they try to put it on film? Will the show end up being much much better than the films because they're written by professional Hollywood writers and not based directly on the novels?

So many questions.

Kingkiller could work as an anime though. In the fantasy/harem genre.

Can't wait to see the Felurian Sex Scene Movie. Or the Sex Ninja Sex Scene Movie.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
The good news is the TV show will bring Rothfuss' unique brand of feminism into the mainstream and he'll be crucified.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Brinner posted:

The good news is the TV show will bring Rothfuss' unique brand of feminism into the mainstream and he'll be crucified.
welcome, traveller from the year 2015. we do things differently now. you see,

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Lyon posted:

Rothfuss : Author :: Trump : President

#notmyuathor

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Brinner posted:

So I started putting together BotL's critical reading into a book bind but it turns out its really loving long and I don't want to spend that much on a Chuck Tingle covered roasting of rothfart. If anyone has the means I would be totally down to spend :10bux: for a toilet reader.

Put it in an ebook?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Can someone do me a solid and link me the blog posts that prove rothfuss is s garbage human? It had to do with the felurian stuff and good weird rear end views i think.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pakman posted:

Can someone do me a solid and link me the blog posts that prove rothfuss is s garbage human? It had to do with the felurian stuff and good weird rear end views i think.

He wrote erotic fanfic about Devi and Goldberry (Tom Bombadil's wife in LotR). Just google that and you'll be good to go.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pakman posted:

I'll have to dig through a lot to find it, but I could try soon. The one I'm definitely thinking of is the one where he compares the Star Wars prequels to meeting your childhood sweetheart who you crushed on from afar but never really knew as an adult and finding out she is a DIRTY AWFUL BITCH WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEE WHORE.

And suddenly all those lines of Kvothe about whores make sense. Like the one where he 'helps' Fela by telling Ambrose that if he wants to rape her like she's a whore, he should go do it in a backalley so she'll be justified in screaming.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I found the one where he talks about feminism, but I don't think it's the one of which I was thinking. He basically called the internet prudes or something.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

pakman posted:

I found the one where he talks about feminism, but I don't think it's the one of which I was thinking. He basically called the internet prudes or something.

Please link that. I'm curious to read it.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

pakman posted:

https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2012/10/fanmail-faq-the-f-word/

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I got into a discussion about these books with a random couple my friend and I met while at a bar. We were talking nerd poo poo when one of them made some offhanded comment about how some well-regarded person backed X-thing, and thus it was worth paying attention to. I glibly said something along the lines of "well, Lin-Manuel Miranda is brilliant at music, but he also thinks Patrick Rothfuss can write, so we can't just assume talented people know what the gently caress they're talking about."

That turned into 20 minutes of arguing about the books with me making most of the arguments that have been pretty well-trodden here. I didn't get satisfactory refutations to those points, but what was weird to me was the constant refrain of "I think you're going to take it all back when the third book comes out." Like, that was a large crux of the counter argument. Somehow after finding the first book to be perfectly average genre fiction (or sub-par writing generally) and the second to be one of the worst books I've read in the past 10-15 years, book three is going to rock my socks off so hard it will make me look back fondly on those books and realize what a fool I was. This isn't the first time I've encountered that line of argument either. There seems to be some idea that Rothfuss is just waiting to unleash some sort of masterstroke that blows everyone's minds in retrospect and the doubters will all look like a pack of rubes. If that's what the fans in general are expecting, then I can see why he hasn't/won't (until he needs cash) finished the series. He can't craft that. That sort of huge "ah-ha" moment needs to actually be planned well in advance, and you need to lay the groundwork for it from the get go. It's a very hard thing to do well. It's even harder to take a series that is 2/3 through and decide that you want to retroactively build in a brilliant turn without retconning a bunch of poo poo. Rothfuss wrote Felurian. He does not have the chops to to pull a mind-bending plot twist. More to the point, an unreliable narrator isn't going to to make the 500 pages of wanking about how Kvothe has no money a good use of space. What's the big twist there? He was making it up? Why? What was they payoff of Kvoth duping his listeners into believing that a middle-class guy complained about how his rich friends have more money than him for a few hundred pages.

What WAS really interesting was the guy claiming that we, as readers, are not supposed to like Kvothe, which I found fascinating. I've never actually heard a fan of the books make this argument. If you believed that, then I can see how you might look at the books differently (though it will wouldn't excuse the poverty wanking, the sex faerie, the martial arts based economy, or a hundred other things). Given that we live in an age of self-absorbed narcissists that just make poo poo up about themselves, there are probably some interesting things to be said there. But I think that the evidence strongly suggests that Rothfuss very much does like Kvothe, and the fandom at large certainly does. Still, this was a unique angle that I hadn't heard before from someone who actually liked the books. In general, I've found that people who like the books tend to tell you they like the books for the reasons that the marketing tells you to like the books - that they're stories about the difference between reality and myth, that we see a scrappy protagonist getting by on native wit. None of that stuff holds up to a cursory investigation. Myth and legend don't really work at all like they do in the books. If you go around trying to spread rumors about yourself you just get a reputation as a tool. Look at Christopher Columbus, all the bullshit stories about him that became accepted as facts in America didn't really circulate until hundreds of years after his death. It's not like his contemporaries were talking about him the way that Americans have spent the past hundred years thinking of him. And while Kvothe may initially do some slick underhanded moves to get ahead (listening in on the entrance exam questions) it quickly turns into him just actually doing unbelievable poo poo - as a virgin, loving a sex/death goddess so well she can't believe that he isn't an seasoned pro, using name-magic, learning to be a better martial fighter in the span of a few months than anyone he's likely to encounter other than the people who taught him.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Remember when Revenge of the Sith was going to tie the whole prequel trilogy together and we'd all believe in George Lucas again?

Remember when Matrix Revolutions was totally going to justify Matrix Reloaded?

All this is is you encountering the sunk cost fallacy in person and seeing right through it.

Going back to thread favorite Book of the New Sun, it is a massive amount of reading you have to work through to get to the final payoff. But every bit along the way is enjoyable in its own right. I can't imagine trying to get through 2000 pages of garbage just for a shocking twist at the end. That is never going to make me retroactively have enjoyed the time Kvothe was in Tarbean.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Karnegal posted:

"well, Lin-Manuel Miranda is brilliant at music, but he also thinks Patrick Rothfuss can write, so we can't just assume talented people know what the gently caress they're talking about."

I don't think the guy who made a stupid rap musical for dumbass rich people is brilliant at music.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's not even good rap. It consistently fails in rhyme or rhythm.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Moana is pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

pakman posted:

There's a few other gross posts.

There's one where he goes on about punctuation for 8 pages using the phrase "You smell so good its making me stupid" for the example.

He has sold multiple pin-up calendars. Since the half-naked ladies are lying on a book, its sexy, not smutty. Smutty girls are gross. Selling sexualized images of women on the other hand, is not objectifying in any way, it is classy and supportive. You can see one of the pinups here. (NSFW, obviously.)

This is by far the grossest one. He compared a bad adaptation of The Hobbit to finding out that the girl you fantasized about in high school is a dirty dirty slut.