Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dmitri-9 posted:

40% may be against adult use but only 10-20% are against medical.

Right, because it's really easy to pass "medical marijuana" laws that only the rich and super-sick can actually use, so that they can use it themselves but the cops can still arrest all the minorities they want over it and their Innocent Little Johnny won't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I don't remember the video I saw this from but it was about this very religious christian woman who was very anti weed but being in a medical US state she ended up trying it and did a complete 180 and even started a small family dispensary. According to her it gave her this higher depersonalized perspective of what it means to be alive on earth and felt that she was having a spiritual connection with jesus. she let go of a lot of her bigoted beliefs and became a far more empathetic person

I dunno, I wish weed had this effect on most christians long-term, and people in general. I can totally understand why this could be used for religious reasons.

I'll see if I can find the link regarding what I'm talking about

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sounds kind of similar to what some people experience (after) using LSD.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Trump is trashing Sessions in public now, maybe he will keep it up and he quits :lol:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Your typing to God's eyes

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Well, who didn't see this coming

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Well, who didn't see this coming

They asked him if he was a zombie AG to his face.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
How successful will they be? It seems like legal weed is done for, or at the very least shops will start closing up.

It might not be popular thing for sessions to do, but this seems to be an ideological war.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Telephones posted:

How successful will they be? It seems like legal weed is done for, or at the very least shops will start closing up.

It might not be popular thing for sessions to do, but this seems to be an ideological war.

they dont have the money or the man power to shut it down, but they can def make peoples lives hell

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Telephones posted:

A few high-profile daylight profile busts (with decades long sentences in jail for shop owners) will shut down storefront shops and everything will go back to grey/black markets. If you're a street dealer, now is your chance to get back in the game!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rohrabacher-Farr/Blumenauer renewed by voice vote

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

So its been awhile and a lots been happening, but does anyone know if there's been any updates at all?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
New gallup? Shows majority Republicans support cannabis relegalisation for the first time ever.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Telephones posted:

Legal weed is not done for. Legal weed is growing rapidly.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, now even a majority of Republicans support it: http://news.gallup.com/poll/221018/record-high-support-legalizing-marijuana.aspx

The disconnect between nearly 2/3rds supporting recreational legalization (and presumably significantly more yet that support medical) and a DEA that keeps it at Schedule 1 is utterly bizarre at this point.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Heh:

https://twitter.com/tomangell/status/924764093378187264
https://twitter.com/stevefoxvss/status/924796751139233794

Wonder how noted shitlord Kevin Sabet is going explain this.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 30, 2017

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

"This just means their fiendish weed habits are now normalized and fewer people are seeking treatment."

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

KingEup posted:

Heh:
Wonder how noted shitlord Kevin Sabet is going explain this.

It's a bug not a feature. The prohibition lobby relied on court ordered admissions to rehab to make money. Another huge misallocation of resources solved by legalization.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Maine's governor LePage vetoed a 2016 voter referendum that legalized retail sales. It was scheduled to go into effect next year. So now, all of that tax revenue that Maine would have gotten is instead going to go directly to grey market dealers and Massachusetts. Hooray! I love how, even though the GOP can't roll back the clock on cannabis and gay rights completely, they can at least make things shittier for no reason other than spite.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

Maine's governor LePage vetoed a 2016 voter referendum that legalized retail sales. It was scheduled to go into effect next year. So now, all of that tax revenue that Maine would have gotten is instead going to go directly to grey market dealers and Massachusetts. Hooray! I love how, even though the GOP can't roll back the clock on cannabis and gay rights completely, they can at least make things shittier for no reason other than spite.

Can't the Maine legislature override the veto?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MooselanderII posted:

Can't the Maine legislature override the veto?

Possibly. Right now, they have the votes to override in their Senate (22-9), but not the House (81-50). They need two-thirds to override, which would mean they'd need to pick up at least 7 votes in the House. It's not looking too likely. What's probably going to happen is this is going to push back retail sales in Maine until 2019 or later, giving all their legal weed business in the meantime to Mass.

e: the governors of both Vermont and New Hampshire have done this same poo poo before, single-handedly screwing up legalization several times.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

Possibly. Right now, they have the votes to override in their Senate (22-9), but not the House (81-50). They need two-thirds to override, which would mean they'd need to pick up at least 7 votes in the House. It's not looking too likely. What's probably going to happen is this is going to push back retail sales in Maine until 2019 or later, giving all their legal weed business in the meantime to Mass.

e: the governors of both Vermont and New Hampshire have done this same poo poo before, single-handedly screwing up legalization several times.

Does the original referendum hold any legal weight or does it kick it all to the legislature?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

Does the original referendum hold any legal weight or does it kick it all to the legislature?

I don't know; I think usually they don't mess with voter referendums so they don't piss off their constituents. I've no desire to go googling to find out the details of how voter initiatives work in Maine because I don't care. LePage at first said he didn't want it personally, but he'd sign it if they voted for it, then they voted for it so he decided hey, let's waste some money recounting the vote, then he came up with some more bullshit, and now we're here.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

I don't know; I think usually they don't mess with voter referendums so they don't piss off their constituents. I've no desire to go googling to find out the details of how voter initiatives work in Maine because I don't care. LePage at first said he didn't want it personally, but he'd sign it if they voted for it, then they voted for it so he decided hey, let's waste some money recounting the vote, then he came up with some more bullshit, and now we're here.

In Massachusetts, the legislature and governor tinkered with the voter initiative a little bit a first and delayed the roll out schedule by 6 months, followed by a more comprehensive tinkering of the law over the summer. But the underlying framework was largely left intact and in general, Massachusetts generally rarely repeals ballot initiatives.

But that makes me wonder: is this bill LePaige is vetoing something that was required to be enacted after the initiative? I would think that his veto would just leave the original voter passed law in effect, unless ballot initiatives have to be approved in the same way as any other statute.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MooselanderII posted:

In Massachusetts, the legislature and governor tinkered with the voter initiative a little bit a first and delayed the roll out schedule by 6 months, followed by a more comprehensive tinkering of the law over the summer. But the underlying framework was largely left intact and in general, Massachusetts generally rarely repeals ballot initiatives.

But that makes me wonder: is this bill LePaige is vetoing something that was required to be enacted after the initiative? I would think that his veto would just leave the original voter passed law in effect, unless ballot initiatives have to be approved in the same way as any other statute.

I think it's something along the lines of the voter initiative said what the voters wanted, then it's up to the legislature to figure out how to implement it and pass the needed laws. Probably what LePage is doing is somewhat contentious legally, and definitely lovely, but we're in the post-rule of law stage here so it doesn't matter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The net thing to take away is simply that Massachusetts voters simply support marijuana more, and politicians opposed to marijuana need to be more afraid of outright going against them. And as far as tinkering with the framework, most people who were behind getting the ballot measure in place fully expected and planned for that to happen to clear up various aspects of the laws.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I am not a maine lawyer but looked into their process a bit. Recreational pot was passed via legislative initiative. If i'm reading correct, all that was vetoed was the current retail scheme bill. As of right now, maine residents over 21 should be able to legally possess and grow, but there is no system for legal dispensing at the moment.

The legislature is meeting today to deal with the veto.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is kindof an oddball question, but does anyone know of any good websites/youtubes/whatever on the use of robotics in weed grow ops? seems like it being the $/lb leader on margin would make it the place to start.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I am not a maine lawyer but looked into their process a bit. Recreational pot was passed via legislative initiative. If i'm reading correct, all that was vetoed was the current retail scheme bill. As of right now, maine residents over 21 should be able to legally possess and grow, but there is no system for legal dispensing at the moment.

The legislature is meeting today to deal with the veto.

That's what I was wondering myself. I'm too tired to look up the Maine ballot initiative, but did it really not have a scheme in place to deal with the roll out of retail establishments? The Massachusetts one simply said "this will create a cannabis control commission that will issue regulations, accept applications, and issue licenses by the following dates," which was more or less left intact by the legislature and governor.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MooselanderII posted:

That's what I was wondering myself. I'm too tired to look up the Maine ballot initiative, but did it really not have a scheme in place to deal with the roll out of retail establishments? The Massachusetts one simply said "this will create a cannabis control commission that will issue regulations, accept applications, and issue licenses by the following dates," which was more or less left intact by the legislature and governor.

I found a couple of decent articles earlier today about it that were fairly detailed. LePage seems to really hate weed, having previously called it a 'deadly gateway drug'. I think that's a big part of the issue, he just hates weed.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/29/highs-and-lows-seen-in-maine-marijuana-law-delays/

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/11/06/legislature-set-to-take-up-lepage-veto-of-recreational-marijuana/ (the veto was sustained)

The way they explain it, the referendum itself is a complete law (that the legislators claim had some issues, which it did). So they voted to delay the retail sale part of it from January of next year until at least February, but likely it will be delayed until at least the middle of next year, or 2019. They raised the tax rate from the referendum. Oh and they're also specifically requiring communities to opt-in, so by default sales will be disallowed. It's projected that it could bring > $300 million a year in revenue to the state. It's so stupid.

I guess I don't much care personally, as Mass will have retail stores middle of next year, which is fine I suppose. I'm just tired of not being able to pick up weed from a legal store where I know the products are tested and so on, and there will be so much more variety. But it does suck that Maine is going to miss out on all that revenue, and it's screwing with a bunch of people who were gearing up for legalization. Maine could definitely use the revenue.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Now's a good time for a general update; 2017 has been a quieter year after some big developments in 2016, but still a general onward-and-upward for cannabis both in the US and globally.

To summarize the current US situation:
-- Eight states and DC have fully legalized cannabis (CA goes into full effect in January, MA iirc in July, Maine is legal but stalled-out on actual commercial sales, and DC is frozen in limbo with totally legal possession/cultivation/use but no commercial sales).
-- 14 states and the USVI have decriminalized cannabis, making possession a civil infraction with a fine instead of an arrestable offense
-- 21 states (plus Guam and PR) have legalized full-plant medical cannabis (though some don't allow smokable forms). Some have a tightly-controlled list of conditions permitted, others just have a "any condition where you doctor says weed might help".
-- 16 states (mostly in the South) allowed low-THC CBD oil as their only cannabis remedy, most commonly for seizures. There's a wide range of availability with some states having a commercial settup and others having "it's literally the most minimal step we could take" with tightly-controlled CBD trials.
-- That leaves just Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota without any form of medical cannabis whatsoever (plus American Samoa and CNMI), though Nebraska decriminalized weed back in the 1970s.

A year ago, if you'd asked me to bet on which states would legalize cannabis next, after the big 2016 referendum victories, I would've bet on Vermont or Rhode Island legalizing through their legislature. However in a big reversal of fortunes it's looking most likely that New Jersey will be next, now that Christie is out and the governor-elect has announced he wants to legalize cannabis in his first 100 days. If that actually happens, NJ should be a lock for the ninth state to legalize.

VT and RI have been edging for like three years now, so we'll see if they get their poo poo together before the likely next sweep of referendums in 2018.

2018 ballot initiatives

Full legal: Michigan just turned in their petition signatures this month, so by January we should see their full-legal proposal approved for the November ballot. I'm not aware of anyone else who's really poised for a 2018 referendum, so definitely post if I'm missing out.

Medical: lots of proposals here. Oklahoma MMJ is definitely on the 2018 ballot since it was supposed to be on the 2016 but was procedurally delayed. Missouri and Utah are currently collecting signatures for deadlines later in 2018 to get on the November ballot for fulll MMJ. South Dakota, unlike these others, doesn't even have CBD yet, but is looking to jump from total prohibition to full MMJ, and just turned in their signatures this month.

By the way, for Missouri and Utah goons, make sure your voter registration and address are current, make sure you sign the petition for the 2018 ballot, and consider volunteering to or donating to the campaign, and make sure you and all your friends go to the November 2018 polls.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks for the update. That there's not much to discuss is a good sign honestly, even if it makes for a dull thread. The prohibitionist argument has collapsed completely and they now have nothing to say at all. Therefore there is hardly anything left to debate on the matter, we can just post the :unsmith: news as it occurs.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Unless Jeff Sessions gets his way. I think the possibility of a sharp reactionary response from the diehards still exists.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

There's still plenty of people who insist it's a lower class drug that will corrupt children, or they think opposing it is a finger in the eye of Dems. Any evidence to the contrary is fake news.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

ProperGanderPusher posted:

There's still plenty of people who insist it's a lower class drug that will corrupt children, or they think opposing it is a finger in the eye of Dems. Any evidence to the contrary is fake news.

The momentum is turning with surprising quickness. This year's Gallup poll has 64% of Americans supporting legalized marijuana (it was 12% when they started the poll in 1969). More than half the states have MMJ, and all but a handful of those that don't at least have CBD oil, so it's getting increasingly hard to rationalize that with federal disbelief in the medical utility of cannabis.

There are a few articles out predicting that cannabis may be a huge issue in the 2020 presidential campaign. 2016 was kind of unusual in that there were a number of huge state ballot initiatives out (iirc 5 legalization and 4 medical) but surprisingly little discussion of cannabis from the major candidates. If I had to guess, I'd say a big part of that was because there wasn't much difference between the candidates, with Clinton being a real stick-in-the-mud over cannabis, and Trump being broadly a MMJ supporter and ambivalent/indifferent on legal. Kind of like how the GOP was relatively quiet on guns since Trump really doesn't have any strong pro-2A credentials.

2020 has a much better chance of seeing a leading Democrat strongly in favor of legal weed, forcing the Republican side to either take a clear anti stance, or jump over and try to out-legal the Dems. For a bit in 2016 it was almost looking like the Republicans had a chance to run to the *left* of Clinton, since some of the primary GOP candidates were honestly more pro-weed than she was.

While there is certainly *some* chance that Sessions can go apeshit, there's not really much to back that up other than his personal animus. I don't see anyone gaining a huge uptick in support for getting hardcore against weed, barring some huge change in optics based on a black swan event. There have been attempts to link weed to the opiate crisis and those don't at all seem to be sticking, and if anything increased weed cultivation in the US is lessening worries about cross-border drug activity. So while there are certainly plenty of people that don't like legal weed personally (though apparently less than 34% per Gallup) there's only a limited number of factions that would really benefit from a Sessions crusade.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The last time I even remember hearing about weed in the media was NPR after the wildfires in California somberly saying how "oh no the poor weed farmers how will they recover without federal disaster relief? :smith: The prohibitionists today have nothing at all with which to condemn freedom. You can see it in their eyes, their confidence is shattered. When the subject arises their smug tight-lipped smiles fall from their faces, they stammer, get angry, change the subject. The battles near its end and all that's left is an exhausted rear-guard wavering on the cusp of a rout. The writings on the wall and the cats out of the bag.

I think at the level of national politics action is just waiting for a changing of the guard. As we phase out today's Congressmen who cut their chops during the tough on crime era Federal action becomes more likely.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
For the Global update, 2017 has been kinda slow but with a lot of things steadily percolating. The main conclusive things that jump to mind are that Mexico legalized medical cannabis and Peru and Cyprus legalized CBD oil, but chime in if anything else definitive comes to mind that happened this year.

For things that have been progressing this year but not yet conclusive:
-- Canada has tentatively set July 2018 for fully legalizing cannabis, leading to constant messaging from the government to say "dammit people, it's legal *next* year not right now so don't push it", and apparently to a lot of cops just giving up on minor use and possession as pointless.
-- South Africa: I'm unclear as to the nuances of SA's process, but in 2017 a regional High Court decreed that penalties for personal cultivation/use are unconstitutional, so apparently that issue has to wend its way through panels and committees but allegedly might result in a sea-change in SA law in a couple years to adjust to that finding
-- Ireland: again, not an expert, but a bill to legalize medical marijuana in Ireland has been working its way through for like a year now and 2017 developments seem to indicate it's making progress. In the meantime every *individual* case of permission for MMJ takes federal-level approval, so Ireland has all of three legal MMJ patients at the moment.
-- India: a bill to legalize medical cannabis and opium remedies, and decriminalize cannabis and opium use, is bouncing around Parliament, despite some forehead-smacking from people who think that chucking opium in the mix is just complicating the issue. Regardless of whether this specific one goes anywhere, the fact that India is even publicly discussing this is huge.

Those are the main issues I've run across, but open to hearing others. At some point someone in Europe is going to finally tip over into the full-legal category, but so far the furthest advanced countries are still just using legal grey-area for weed use; contrary to perceptions cannabis isn't actually legal in the Netherlands or Spain, they just have really smoothly-functioning workarounds. If I were betting on which European country will actually completely legalize first, I'd guess Italy in the next five years. Czech Republic is a wild-card, and if Catalonia somehow secedes from Spain I would expect it'd be a weed-legal country shortly thereafter.

To the best of my knowledge, Uruguay continues to be the only country where cannabis is explicitly legal. There are definitely plenty of places in the world where enforcement is really minimal, but until Canada legalizes next year, Uruguay seems to be the only one going out of its way. There's a lot of rumor/legend that cannabis is legal in North Korea, but that seems to be repeatedly debunked. If I'm missing anything, by all means update the thread.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 3, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It seems as if Sessions has mostly given up on marijuana enforcement. I was concerned as well but it appears to be a a non-issue.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That Gallup poll had even Republicans at a slight majority of support, pretty soon opposing legal marijuana will become untenable for politicians in most areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cicero posted:

That Gallup poll had even Republicans at a slight majority of support, pretty soon opposing legal marijuana will become untenable for politicians in most areas.

Yea, it's basically going to become this comic, but with "legal weed" instead of "gay marriage"