Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

fritzgryphon posted:

It should be cringy but they have to make the money. The project can't be allowed to fail. They can't be allowed to stop. They have to pay. CiG, the backers, even the innocent entry-level staff. They have to pay for wasting the angel cash that rightfully belonged to me competent companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngy0u-I2iF8&t=827s

Tower = refund

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'M NOT SULKING YOU'RE SULKING, AND PS, gently caress YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Titanic posted:

But this is just nuts. I don’t even know how someone would go about fixing it.
You don't. You embrace it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Certainly not by some loving Russians before Star Citizen was ever announced.
In 1997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuWQzFzRg-E

Or by someone else the same year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXah-vTKd8

https://i.imgur.com/ylIe5zJ.mp4

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Star citizen when?

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

McGiggins posted:

Star citizen when?

When the student is ready

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SomethingJones posted:

This is nuts.

Ah, so CIG UK paid for the license. CIG UK was created and was immediately sold a license from CIG US or whoever owns the IP. I don't understand why it needs a license, and I don't understand where it gets the money from to buy a license - was CIG UK created to take out a loan to buy the license?

Which one of the seventy gazillion companies are Foundry contracted to?

When a bunch of shell companies are shifting around licences for their own poo poo I'm just gonna assume it's tax shenanigans.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

I'M NOT SULKING YOU'RE SULKING, AND PS, gently caress YOU

Someone did go back and fixed a post to remove any egregious quote misrepresentation potential

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 26, 2017

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

quote misrepresentation

See, you just loving admitted to misrepresenting quotes! Also, something-something-smugly-disparage-your-English, you goddamn foreigner.

This message brought to you by the user Cymelion, the letter PARP, and the number Two Weeks™

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Space Bigots, my Citizen Con fan theory is that the Consolidated Outland Pioneer has a "unique approach" to being a "colonization ship", and by that they mean that it's designed for stacking Vanduul or Xi'an in the hold, so you can sell them later in exchange for sugar or rum.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Goredema posted:

See, you just loving admitted to misrepresenting quotes! Also, something-something-smugly-disparage-your-English, you goddamn foreigner.

This message brought to you by the user Cymelion, the letter PARP, and the number Two Weeks™

By not quoting my post in its totality you have also committed a heinous misrepresentation sin so I'll see you in hell.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

By not quoting my post in its totality you have also committed a heinous misrepresentation sin so I'll see you in hell.

This calls for... a Smug Off!

Never mind, Cymelion already won that contest for all time.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

The horror :stare:

Iafeth
Jul 17, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You made me remember. There was another russian space game with seamless "planet surface to space" transition. The story was cringy AF, but the gameplay was amazing. It is almost squadron 42 clone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0uTYKzeOU&t=1560s

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

But soon, soon my friend, you will hear something great. It will probably be this:

“This was our vision all along. This is... Star Citizen.” and then Chris will take half a breath, “But now we’re moving on to another fresh kickstarter project! Entry donations start at $5k for your name to be in the game! It’s an open world exploration game over an entire solar system! Millions of players! Meshing technology!”

Next to him, the computer running Star Citizen grinds to a halt before the “Star Citizen has encountered a problem!” dialog box pops on screen with the percentage bar slowly etching along its path.

Chris Roberts pats the computer and says, “We look forward to your continued support in our next breakthrough game!”

And as Chris turns away from the camera we find out that Face-Over-IP was really there to save him from being lynched on stage by hundreds of angry backers

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Dogeh posted:

Archiving and quoting this post for posterior.
:D

Quoting my posterior for archiving.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Does cymelion throw these fits only around the major CIG public events, or is he constantly in a mental breakdown mode?

Or is a deep undercover goon malfunctioning?

Stay tuned for answers and more meltdowns as the scam unfolds.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bun GIF > Dog GIF :3:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

AbstractNapper posted:

Does cymelion throw these fits only around the major CIG public events, or is he constantly in a mental breakdown mode?

Patience is in short supply with lots of backers and they're all starting to eat each other while getting constantly poked by people making fun of them. Every Gamescom and Citizencon they declare that Derek Smart and the trolls have been defeated and every time they don't get what was promised and everyone keeps mocking them. Cymelion is in that fun position Beer was in an age ago, where he still wants the project to succeed but he has some issues with the decisions being made and my guess is he is getting really tired of copping poo poo from both sides of the fence for it. He has to constantly clarify that he's still a believer to avoid being called Derek, and I think he might eventually get to the point where he realises he's seen how this ends and it's usually with the community holding up the digital head of the "Heretic" up on a pike for all to see. Maybe he's taken part in it before, maybe not. But no matter how rational he thinks he's being the dumb angry irrational crowd he's trying to appeal to will still string him and and then look for the next heretic because hey, they seem to keep finding them.

If that happens then the worst case scenario raises its head and I don't think he'll like it, because the worst case scenario for them is realising that the Goons were right. Which means Derek was right. About all of it.

It might be better to just walk away from the subreddit rather than deal with that, but that might be on par with getting a refund.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The Titanic posted:

Yeah, that too. Though Andromeda was pretty disappointing, Mass Effect as a franchise is still very relevant today.

Negative. The Mass Effect franchise took a huge hit following the Mass Effect 3 Ending Debacle. That hurt ME's perception in a big way and hurt a lot of the more casual fans. The hardcore fans had already been burned by a series of increasingly poor quality novels which culminated in one that got basic aspects of the series wrong (eg: Quarians not wearing suits). After ME3 fell over at the finish line, ME basically vanished overnight (for example, Legendary Pictures' Mass Effect film).

Andromeda was EA's attempt to salvage the franchise. It was transparently that from day one. The only people who were excited about it were the ironed-on Bioware Shillizen equivalents or people who thought surely Bioware wouldn't release another bad game, despite all the evidence it was a mess. What it ended up being though, however, was a coup de grace. Andromeda wasn't just 'pretty disappointing'. Andromeda killed the studio that released it and was so poorly received that EA abandoned it entirely. No DLC, no real support. Gone.

Consider that this was also EA who paid Bioware to 'fix up' the ME3 ending with the Extended Cut.

When Mass Effect comes back, it will be as either some kind of mobile game or a remake of ME1.

Or maybe it won't, because Anthem may very well be the last thing Bioware ever releases.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 26, 2017

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
If you guys want to play a game with spaceships and FPS. Destiny 2 for PC is out and its one hell of a good time with friends.

Also we're one day away from CitizenCon! Hype!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Looks a lot like the Mayflower truck moving the Colts to Indianapolis, if it were packed by Bunnyman and Ben.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

alf_pogs posted:

cymelion is basically Pat from achewood

Perfection

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AbstractNapper posted:

He's the real deal. A part of him deep inside knows that everything is hosed so lately he lashes out at the smallest provocation. Nowadays you just have to mockingly call him a friend and he goes mental (I guess this is due to some :pgabz:-related trauma). At the same time (IMO) he really, really, really wants to be part of Evocati and is insanely jealous of not being able to play the latest version of the game he has spend thousands on, as he's a concierge, an upstanding citizen, smart, handsome, and all that jazz.

Years ago, he used to be full of hope. But nowadays he's just a wraith-like husk of a citizen.

quote:

This game is the Shining light of the PC.
I am so glad I have been along for the ride regardless what happens in the future.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 26, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Is he a confirmed millionaire though?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A few more years and tons of delays and Cymelion will buy a SA account

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

TheAgent posted:

Things are falling apart and have been since the middle of last year. I've had six people ask me to go on record or reveal sources lately (I've declined). I'm sure they've talked to Bootcha and Beer and outside contractors and current/former employees and god knows who else.

I know you'd like to imagine that somehow, Chris and Sandi and Ben and Jared and Tony and Erin are really, really nice people, who care about the backers that gave them millions.

Here's the thing, and I'm trying not to be mean, just as real as possible: they don't give a gently caress about anything but money. The product that you'll get delivered in 3 weeks is an absolute travesty and that's going to be it. They'll continue the Live support for the game, promising additional content and increased player counts, but this is it; 3.0, in the state at which is arrives, is going to be Star Citizen. That's it.

When that happens, when the dreams are no longer just accessible in the mind but available to be played on the keyboard, that's when things are going to go into an absolute loving frenzy. Chris Roberts and everyone else in his little tower understand this. They 100% understand.

I'm sorry your dream space game is going to be an absolutely janky piece of poo poo with almost no content but what the players create for themselves. I really am. As a backer, I'd liked to have played a fun PC space game, too.

But this is it. This is what you're going to get. And it's just, it's just awful. It's really, really loving bad.

HEL-MET

HEL-MET

HEL-MET!!!!

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
So I've been out of the thread for the better part of a year. Last thing I remember they released Star Marine and it sucked. Any significant changes to the Baby PU?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Amarcarts posted:

So I've been out of the thread for the better part of a year. Last thing I remember they released Star Marine and it sucked. Any significant changes to the Baby PU?

Doors might work or not work.

3.0 is still not out.

Tomorrow is CitizenCon

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Remember everyone.

Star Citizen has NEVER been done before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzC9R4UBpc

And certainly not with 160 million (rubles)

There's another janky Russian space sim called The Tomorrow War (e: Iafeth posted a vid above) which had seamless space-surface transitions nearly a decade ago. And Parkan 2, while not seamless, lets you land on planets and run about in first person and has like 500 systems.

Crobber & Co have spunked hundreds of millions and so far have nearly jack poo poo to show for it, while tiny Eastern European developers have been able to release more accomplished games on a fraction of the budget.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 26, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Amarcarts posted:

It is hard to believe (or maybe not) but there has not been a single significant update to the game since they released Star Marine more than a year ago. They are testing a newer bug-ridden version with a relatively high (for SC) amount of new poo poo but only the inner-chamber of backers has access to it.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Now accepting audition reels for AMERICAN STALIN, a dark comedy in the style of Mel Brooks set in an alternative 1930s Los Angeles.

Communist Russia has invaded Holywood and combined their love for gulags and their passion for Holywood musicals, to create a propaganda machine spreading Marxist ideaology via song, dance, cinematography and slow physical torture.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

nawledgelambo posted:

who's ready to nurse on some elohel-lipops til citizencon

https://www.facebook.com/RobertsSpaceIndustries/posts/1654308701277812

loving MyRadar app

l
m
a
o

:jackbud:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
Everybody knows that the CR is loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the goons lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the CR get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows
Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the CR lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

Everybody talking to their jpegs
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose
Everybody knows

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Remember everyone.

Star Citizen has NEVER been done before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzC9R4UBpc

And certainly not with 160 million (rubles)

No fidelity. Can't walk inside ship. No PHYSICS GRID.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/923239236920365056

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Aww yes. The cult badges.

Wonder how long til SC has a version of Thetans? They can call them "goonies'

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

intardnation posted:

Everybody knows that the CR is loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the goons lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the CR get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows
Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the CR lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

Everybody talking to their jpegs
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose
Everybody knows

:golfclap: I would have done this if I hadn't already done Chris of Parp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Anyone else seen the schedule for CitizenCon yet?

'Xi'An history, language, physiology' from 530 - 630 is what I'm most looking forward too. I only wish they would spend longer on this