Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

A handy image:

Edit: Dog tax

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.twitter.com/CNNMoney/status/923394763113549824

So, you know Mark Halpern, one of the reporters who helped lead the charge in normalizing Trump alongside the other inmates on Morning Joe? Turns out he also likes to get a bit rapey around the newsroom ala Bill O’Reilly.

This guy can get 31 flavours of hosed, for so many reasons.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

VitalSigns posted:

I mean okay, if you're a committed bomb-throwing anarchist I'm not going to stand in your way. The bomb-throwing anarchists might be right about this.

However when the person making this argument is not a revolutionary, and instead of throwing bricks he's white-knighting Cory Booker on the internet, then it's just disingenuous concern trolling.

I am nothing of the sort. I mean it's pretty simple, if the game is rigged and it's not in your favor you probably should stop playing said game. In short, don't hate the player hate the game.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pkay posted:

I am nothing of the sort. I mean it's pretty simple, if the game is rigged and it's not in your favor you probably should stop playing said game. In short, don't hate the player hate the game.

Okay but I replied to a guy who was defending Cory Booker, not a guy who was advocating dropping out of politics or whatever.

"Don't hate the player hate the game" is dumb if the players are actively working to defeat any challenge to the game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The worst part about the free speech row is that you always get the token centrist who says "but free speech means all speech is free, even stuff you don't like!" And then they launch into a bullshit tirade about how limiting some speech is a bad idea because it's clearly a slippery slope, and at this point if you haven't punched them in the face too along with their neo-Nazi friends then you're a bad person.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The system is broken to the point that none of the self corrective mechanisms are working and the system cannot be repaired. That happens eventually, and has thru out history. The founding fathers anticipated this, and stated very clearly that when that happens, you have to start over, using violence if needed. Since that is a horrible thing, we will avoid doing it as long as possible.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

We have an opportunity to call a new Continental Congress before we reach that point.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Bel Shazar posted:

We have an opportunity to call a new Continental Congress before we reach that point.

What's meant by "Continental" here, just asking

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Tad Naff posted:

typically consisting of coffee and rolls with butter and jam

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Tad Naff posted:

Canada's included.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sometimes they have muesli and that weird cracker bread.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RuanGacho posted:

typically consisting of coffee and rolls with butter and jam

:golfclap:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
More seriously and realistically, if such a situation occurs, that'll pretty much be the event that officially turns the United States into Gilead.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Kerning Chameleon posted:

More seriously and realistically, if such a situation occurs, that'll pretty much be the event that officially turns the United States into Gilead.
The first thing that would happen is the more populous states would insist on representation in the Congress by population, with the implied threat of leaving the Union over it I imagine.

So yeah, probably.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Tad Naff posted:

I'm going with Lassitude's definition. We're using World Series rules here, in honor of the Astros' win tonight.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Tad Naff posted:

The Continental Congress was the pre Article of Confederation organizing body made up of delegates from each of the colonies. They probably mean Constitutional Convention.

For extra hilarity on defunding UN aid.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/922903426434064384

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Bel Shazar posted:

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

The system is broken to the point that none of the self corrective mechanisms are working and the system cannot be repaired. That happens eventually, and has thru out history. The founding fathers anticipated this, and stated very clearly that when that happens, you have to start over, using violence if needed. Since that is a horrible thing, we will avoid doing it as long as possible.

I want to meet the person who looks at the current state of political discourse in this country and says "yes, I am willing to throw off this government, through any means up to and including giving my life in an armed revolution, so that these people can come together and create a better government."

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

The worst part about the free speech row is that you always get the token centrist who says "but free speech means all speech is free, even stuff you don't like!" And then they launch into a bullshit tirade about how limiting some speech is a bad idea because it's clearly a slippery slope, and at this point if you haven't punched them in the face too along with their neo-Nazi friends then you're a bad person.

That's a reasonable concern. We have a chaotic evil president that talks about curtailing the press all the loving time. His party controls congress and he may be able to swing the Supreme Court 1-2 justices in his favor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/47658...madagascar/amp/

Everyone knows it's a free win if you start in Madagascar. :ohdear:

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If someone said Trump was debating a plan to nuke the sun in order to combat global warming I wouldn't be sure they were kidding.

I’ve got some bad news about that.

quote:

The Sun contains ~74% hydrogen by weight. The isotope hydrogen-1 (99.985% of hydrogen in nature) is a usable fuel for fusion thermonuclear reactions. This reaction runs slowly within the Sun because its temperature is low (relative to the needs of nuclear reactions). If we create higher temperature and density in a limited region of the solar interior, we may be able to produce self-supporting detonation thermonuclear reactions that spread to the full solar volume. This is analogous to the triggering mechanisms in a thermonuclear bomb. Conditions within the bomb can be optimized in a small area to initiate ignition, then spread to a larger area, allowing producing a hydrogen bomb of any power. In the case of the Sun certain targeting practices may greatly increase the chances of an artificial explosion of the Sun. This explosion would annihilate the Earth and the Solar System, as we know them today. The reader naturally asks: Why even contemplate such a horrible scenario? It is necessary because as thermonuclear and space technology spreads to even the least powerful nations in the centuries ahead, a dying dictator having thermonuclear missile weapons can pro- ce (with some considerable mobilization of his military/industrial complex)—an artificial explosion of the Sun and take into his grave the whole of humanity. It might take tens of thousands of people to make and launch the hardware, but only a very few need know the final targeting data of what might be otherwise a weapon purely thought of (within the dictator’s defense industry) as being built for peaceful, deterrent use. Those concerned about Man’s future must know about this possibility and create some protective system—or ascertain on theoretical grounds that it is entirely impossi- e. Humanity has fears, justified to greater or lesser degrees, about asteroids, warming of Earthly climate, extinctions, etc. which have very small probability. But all these would leave survivors—nobody thinks that the terrible annihilation of the Solar System would leave a single person alive. That explosion appears possible at the present time. In this paper is derived the “AB-Criterion” which shows conditions wherein the artificial explosion of Sun is possible. The author urges detailed investigation and proving or disproving of this rather horrifying possibility, so that it may be dismissed from mind—or defended against.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god that is amazing.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

A slippery slope like every country that doesn't protect hate speech! What's that? There are plenty that don't and they still have free speech? Oh... uh... oh.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
lol

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

A handy image:

Edit: Dog tax

Emphatic yes to both of these.

I'm going to rehost these and use them on the political chatroom I help moderate. Good poo poo right there.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Office Pig posted:

Oh my god that is amazing.

It'd be very, very hard to do. Even getting t anything past the surface of the Sun without whatever it is being vaporized would be a gargantuan engineering effort on its own. The sun's surface is like 6000 kelvin. Titanium melts at *half* that. Of course, if it WERE possible, humanity's pretty much hosed in the long run. I can't, as technology advances, see us being able to keep crazy people from that sort of thing forever.

TheBalor fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 26, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We can do it if we really put our minds to it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Yeah well I don't know the hell this is supposed to happen when all the sane people in this country decided it was a good idea to disarm themselves even in the face of obvious tyranny.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Um...
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/25/health/madagascar-pneumonic-plague-outbreak/index.html

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheBalor posted:

It'd be very, very hard to do. Even getting t anything past the surface of the Sun without whatever it is being vaporized would be a gargantuan engineering effort on its own. The sun's surface is like 6000 kelvin. Titanium melts at *half* that. Of course, if it WERE possible, humanity's pretty much hosed in the long run. I can't, as technology advances, see us being able to keep crazy people from that sort of thing forever.

Mantis42 posted:

We can do it if we really put our minds to it.

"We choose to blow up the sun. We choose to blow up the sun in this decade, and do the other things, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TheBalor posted:

The surface of the sun is easy part. Try getting past the corona first. It's around a million Kelvin.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Mustached Demon posted:

The surface of the sun is easy part. Try getting past the corona first. It's around a million Kelvin.

Wrap the missile in a damp cloth.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Shbobdb posted:

I got yelled out of the room multiple times by people like Trab for saying that if you have a choice between a con-man promising you things you want and someone seriously offering advocating things you know are bad, it makes sense to go for the con-man. Even if everything else is obviously on the con-man.

Clearly you didn't get yelled out hard enough, because that is an idiotic perspective that adds nothing to the conversation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Liquid Communism posted:

Clearly you didn't get yelled out hard enough, because that is an idiotic perspective that adds nothing to the conversation.

"Clearly it's better to be shot in the heart with a shotgun than shot between the eyes with a smaller bullet, because at least with the shotgun your brain will live a little longer. Sure, you get more time to experience the worst pain in your life before you die and no one's able to do a loving thing about it, but ~every second of life is precious~ amirite?!?!" :v:

Caros
May 14, 2008

gently caress. We can't even close the seaports to deal with this anymore. :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Caros posted:

gently caress. We can't even close the seaports to deal with this anymore. :(

So, more War or are we getting more types of Famine next? I mean we've technically gone out of order since we've just had Death happening to awesome people all year.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Launch the missile at night so it’s cooler, duh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You incorrectly assume that Trump has even the slightest idea on how China's politics work. He thinks there were elections.

The People are wholeheartedly behind glorious Premier Or Whatever Xi as he leads China boldly into the future. :colbert:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mantis42 posted:

Tbf the destruction of Amerikkka would be a net reduction in human suffering.

People said that conservatives have a stranglehold on rhetoric in America. I think a large part of that is that the left has more or less completely conceded actually liking America to the right, in favor of their real passion of making hot takes.

When the conservative message is "America is a white conservative nation and it loving belongs to us!", and the leftist response is to agree but frame it as a sick burn on America, who the gently caress do you think is gonna control the narrative there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/47658...madagascar/amp/

Everyone knows it's a free win if you start in Madagascar. :ohdear:

Wait, this is the Bubonic Plague/Black Death? Didn't we figure out how to treat it years ago, and centuries earlier figure out that keeping things clean and not living in obscenely close quarters stops it?

• Locked thread