Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

an actual dog posted:

I was able to pull this off in reddit modmail, fulfilling a lifelong dream

I got this, and heck, I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Overblood 1: bad RE clone
Overblood 2: bizarre poo poo in a deus ex/midgar world that crashed too much for the lp i tried to watch to continue

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/FreakInASheet/status/923397123101433856

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I've been working my way through FFIX and I think it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8SWRAr0O8Q

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Overblood 1 actually came out before Resident Evil in Japan but after in the west.
So it's an Alone in the Dark clone.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Overblord

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sitting at work thinking about how there's hollow knight dlc coming out today and then a literal assload of amazing games tomorrow. This is gonna be a good weekend!!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm the laughing emote

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

of course it was written by a middle class white guy

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
"Opinion: This Obviously Expansionist, Murderous Force of Engineered War Mutants Can't and Shouldn't Be Stopped"

alternate takes-

"Where can I find a mod that changes 'Dominate' to 'Respectful Discourse'?"
"I was on board with the endless slaughter of people different than me, but sparing their lives and giving them a chance to fight again the destruction they partook in and work towards a future where peaceful coexistence is possible is downright revolting."
"Why can't I pet the caragors?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
it is in the opinion of this experienced technology-focused journalist that slavery is wrong, and furthermore,

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jonatan

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Charlotte's Webster

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

claw pomb

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/923441871749242881

Uhhhhh take a chill pill dude?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Paying to speed up building actually is still not fine toiletbiscuit

edit:

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/923351970257166336

lol he still won't loving shut up about framerates

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 26, 2017

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

no poo poo, why do you think i got a $3 copy

I found a $3 copy of Nintendo Land the other day and it's not disappointing at all!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CJacobs posted:

lol he still won't loving shut up about framerates

good

totalbiscuit is an rear end but he's on the right side of history here

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's dumb to care about FPS for like, a pixelart game but hardlocking framerates on PC ports and not even documenting that anywhere is shoddy work.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

“Almost done with my game, but something doesn’t feel right. Let me think, what would totalbiscuit do?

Probably wish I got cancer and died “

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Not that I want to go back there, but I remember a time when PC games you'd buy might just straight up not work. I had to get my brother to make me boot discs for a few games just to launch them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

good

totalbiscuit is an rear end but he's on the right side of history here

He's jumped up from not accepting 30 to not accepting 60 so no he's a dick and despite all his experience whining about it still doesn't understand how hard it is for games to target framerates higher than that

edit: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/9393382-The-Framerate-Police/

reminder that he made a steam curator dedicated to calling out games that run at 30 fps which includes va11halla, undertale, gemcraft, vvvvvv, the jackbox party pack, and clicker heroes. yknow, games where the framerate really matters

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 26, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Friday about to complicate everyone's GOTY lists

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/923538977860104192

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unless I’m horribly mistaken, most people still don’t have monitors that are going to show greater than 60 FPS so getting all agitated about games not exceeding that mark seems extremely silly to me.

exquisite tea posted:

It's dumb to care about FPS for like, a pixelart game

Counterpoint: Hyper Light Drifter was noticeably improved when they patched it to run at 60 FPS. Then again, it’s a fast-paced action game so it’s more of an exception than a rule.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I don't have time for three new games. Someone please combine them into one game about Egypt/Nazis/Mind-controlling headwear.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
lmao at calling out vvvvvv for not having higher than 30 fps. A person deserves to die from cancer for being so bold

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

Counterpoint: Hyper Light Drifter was noticeably improved when they patched it to run at 60 FPS. Then again, it’s a fast-paced action game so it’s more of an exception than a rule.

countercounterpoint: although it was improved it took multiple subsequent patches to track down and squash all the weird bugs and glitches that bumping up the framerate to 60 caused when the game wasn't originally designed to support it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

120hz monitors have been pretty cheap and widely available for awhile now, and superhigh smooth framerates are one of those things you just need to see in action to appreciate. Anybody who is into :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming: acknowledges that it's a dumb expensive hobby and to have performance limited by programmer laziness is a real downer, especially when it's unnecessary. Most modern AAA titles are going to offer unlocked FPS regardless but there are always exceptions, and it's helpful to know about them beforehand. I don't think pointing that out for the benefit of the consumer is objectionable.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RIP Pipo, a genuinely sad moment because Pipo is cool and then he's just...dead :(

Real hurthling! posted:

Overblood 1: bad RE clone
Overblood 2: bizarre poo poo in a deus ex/midgar world that crashed too much for the lp i tried to watch to continue

Overblood 1 is good actually

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

countercounterpoint: although it was improved it took multiple subsequent patches to track down and squash all the weird bugs and glitches that bumping up the framerate to 60 caused when the game wasn't originally designed to support it

Also fair. I didn’t play it in 60 FPS mode until a while after that patch hit so I didn’t know about all that.

Though I suppose that’s to be expected. A lot of things depend on frame rate and building a game entirely around one frame rate, then just turning up the dial, is bound to cause issues. See also: Dark Souls PC 60 FPS mods

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only space I care about 120 Hz for is movies because 24 fps divides evenly into 120 so as to prevent tearing.

I am fine with video games/monitors capping at 60 Hz.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

120hz monitors have been pretty cheap and widely available for awhile now, and superhigh smooth framerates are one of those things you just need to see in action to appreciate. Anybody who is into :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming: acknowledges that it's a dumb expensive hobby and to have performance limited by programmer laziness is a real downer, especially when it's unnecessary. Most modern AAA titles are going to offer unlocked FPS regardless but there are always exceptions, and it's helpful to know about them beforehand. I don't think pointing that out for the benefit of the consumer is objectionable.

Yea and there's a very wide gap between appreciating it and refusing to accept anything less without complaining about it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

while i'll agree that there's a noticeable difference going from 60 to 120 it seems much less noticeable to me than the difference going from 30 to 60 as such is more a luxury than a necessity, in my mind

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think pointing that out for the benefit of the consumer is objectionable.

Yeah, that’s completely fair and I agree. I don’t have any problem with a game having a locked frame rate on PC but I agree it’s annoying to do that without having any indication.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

TB is gonna flip when he finds out the afterlife is hardlocked at 30 FPS

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LawfulWaffle posted:

TB is gonna flip when he finds out the afterlife is hardlocked at 30 FPS

Another thing he needs to know first is can you adjust the fov? Because being able to adjust the fov in the afterlife might broaden his lovely narrow horizons a little bit

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Saint Freak posted:

I don't have time for three new games. Someone please combine them into one game about Egypt/Nazis/Mind-controlling headwear.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/923544949035069440

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Friday about to complicate everyone's GOTY lists

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/923538977860104192

Assassin's Creed appears to have accidentally ended up in that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The other thing is that with the rise of adaptive sync solutions it's becoming less and less necessary to lock FPS to any fraction of a monitor's framerate. So even if your system can't achieve a perfect 120fps, it can still push for ~100 with v-sync turned off and give you a smoother picture rather than rapidly alternating between 30hz refresh intervals. A game that's hardlocked to 30/60 only won't give you that option, which will result in a really juddery experience.

• Locked thread