Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cis autodrag posted:

Windows 10 continues to drop my primary network like a hot potato no matter what channel it's set to and various other settings, but it connects just fine to the guest network that has literally on the exact same router.

On a lark I even changed the ssid of the network in case there was a corrupted profile hidden deep inside windows but no joy. After connecting for a few minutes it just quietly fails over to my guest network. Fuckin windows.
can you tell it to forget your guest network? isn't there a setting in the old ui that tells you to not autoconnect to a given ssid, and did they take that out for windows 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

anthonypants posted:

can you tell it to forget your guest network? isn't there a setting in the old ui that tells you to not autoconnect to a given ssid, and did they take that out for windows 10

the guest network ain't the problem. i deleted all known networks and then it just drops my main network after a few minutes and won't reconnect without a reboot. once i readded my guest network, it just fails over to that but again won't reconnect to the main network. it doesn't make any sense unless there's some sort of hardcoded ID specifically for the network and not the whole router that isn't SSID, because the behavior survives me loving with the SSID on the network.

my router is an archer c9, but i'm not willing to blame the router because 3 other computers and all of our phones connect fine with no drops.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

try forgetting and re-adding the network you want

failing that, network reset, re-add

failing that, make sure your drivers are up to date, then network reset &c

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

call a priest

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

the guest network ain't the problem. i deleted all known networks and then it just drops my main network after a few minutes and won't reconnect without a reboot. once i readded my guest network, it just fails over to that but again won't reconnect to the main network. it doesn't make any sense unless there's some sort of hardcoded ID specifically for the network and not the whole router that isn't SSID, because the behavior survives me loving with the SSID on the network.

my router is an archer c9, but i'm not willing to blame the router because 3 other computers and all of our phones connect fine with no drops.

I've had issues on Windows 10 where after a reboot my default network refuses to obtain internet connectivity. Have to manually disconnect from the network and reconnect to fix it.

Not a huge deal because I don't have to reboot all that often, but I'm putting it down to a win 10 bug. Apparently the exact opposite of yours!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

is it worth replacing the stock xps wifi card? it looks pretty trivial and mine gets like 1/3rd the speed of any other device in the house.

kinda wish i had gone x1c.

unless you have something totally broken, like Broadcom, changing the card itself won't help

all wifi cards are pretty similar but antenna arrays vary. and manufacturers charge extra for better built-in antennas. so if you bought the base wifi option, it's too late now.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Why not just get Wirecutter's pick for this year's best Chromebook, throw the world's best Operating System (Windows 7) on it, and just get a new one next year?

:shrug:

afaik they gimped support for modern intel cpus in anything but windows 10. i've no idea what that actually means in practice though

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

afaik they gimped support for modern intel cpus in anything but windows 10. i've no idea what that actually means in practice though

mentioned it in that mame thread, you can get around that issue with this: https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tankakern posted:

mentioned it in that mame thread, you can get around that issue with this: https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

hahaha should have known it wasn't an actual limitation

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Tankakern posted:

Until something breaks because they didn't bother to test the hotfix against new hardware on the old software.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just use 10, come on now

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah ten is fine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

10 is better than 7. It's not the poo poo show that 8 was.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unless you have something totally broken, like Broadcom, changing the card itself won't help

all wifi cards are pretty similar but antenna arrays vary. and manufacturers charge extra for better built-in antennas. so if you bought the base wifi option, it's too late now.

even worse, Killer wifi!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
<naked_gun_nothing_to_see_here.gif>

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

not that surprising. big blue did the same and saw massive savings on it support

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Serious question: How much of that is due to MacOS and how much of it is "we're actually administering software deployments and locking our poo poo down now"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

univbee posted:

Serious question: How much of that is due to MacOS and how much of it is "we're actually administering software deployments and locking our poo poo down now"?

it's neither. it's due to apple hardware failing less.

so of course they are switching right as apple makes laptops that fail in a month

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

so of course they are switching right as apple makes laptops that fail in a month

also good they switched from a vendor with next-business-day on-site warranties to one without

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Tankakern posted:

quote:

Written in C, the best programming language. 😎

seems like he's improved his approach since the initial patch set, and it doesn't have to replace system files with unsigned poo poo anymore. cool/good

i'd probably be using this + windows 7 on my XPS15 if 7 could handle high-dpi worth a poo poo

akadajet posted:

10 is better than 7. It's not the poo poo show that 8 was.
:wrong:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

univbee posted:

also good they switched from a vendor with next-business-day on-site warranties to one without

i'm not aware of lenovo's, it certainly doesn't seem like it exists given the process for getting our laptops fixed here

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Endless Mike posted:

Has IBM made an actual breakdown of their TCO math available? All I've seen are vague summaries (fewer support calls, their PC deployment process is terrible and expensive, etc)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fiedler posted:

Has IBM made an actual breakdown of their TCO math available? All I've seen are vague summaries (fewer support calls, their PC deployment process is terrible and expensive, etc)

This question makes me wonder: have you literally never done business with IBM?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Schadenboner posted:

This question makes me wonder: have you literally never done business with IBM?

Why in God's name would I want to do a stupid thing like that?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ibm owns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
looks like those macs are really helping

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fiedler posted:

Why in God's name would I want to do a stupid thing like that?

To find out just how actual their TCO math really is, of course!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dont be mean to me posted:

Until something breaks because they didn't bother to test the hotfix against new hardware on the old software.

but they don’t test anything???

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Powaqoatse posted:

but they don’t test anything???

they do dogfood and they respond to real-world errors that come up

but they sure as hell won't respond to real-world errors on new chipsets on 7

really it makes me more sad for the old-os junkies in particular than anything else

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

<naked_gun_nothing_to_see_here.gif>

in before the 'after' part of the 'life comes at you fast' meme

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

ibm owns

they almost broke even!!!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

apple bought the company that made the range sensing tech in the kinect, so they had no means of really continuing it

total BS.

Xbox One Kinect wasn’t made with PrimeSense, it’s with updated tech by MS. Apple bought PrimeSense years ago, even before Xbox One release.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

omg youre back

this gives me irl pleasure, kevin

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

flakeloaf posted:

look what you su made me do

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELI2J-CpZg

watch from 37:10

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I wonder whether emails to that username bounce as undeliverable yet.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

They called the second Xbox One the Xbox One Ten

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

They called the second Xbox One the Xbox One Ten

XBox One X

check out which word capitals form

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

cinci zoo sniper posted:

XBox One X

check out which word capitals form

xbone x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

you did gently caress up