Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Even though the only two games I've played in three months were with Biggs, I'm excited for this Whole New World.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man, that JM5K expansion sure is a shadow of its former self these days.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Taking the droid slot was a bit much. Might as well not even carry scum droids at this point since i never run quad TLTs.

I dont know why they always go for the nuclear option with these nerfs. Like manaro could have went from any range to 1-3 ir 1-2 but nope, just r1. Take 1 torp off jmks? Nope...both..and the droid. Biggs? Once per round? 1 ship only?... nope once per game.

This company does not know the meaning of the words fine tuning.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I feel like the Defender x7, Palpatine, Zuckuss nerfs were all "just right".

Jumpmasters have just been overcapable monsters since day one 18 months ago. Losing the Astro slot is OK with me too. Unhinged astromech slot takes it from being arguably the best large ship dial in the game to being unquestionably the best large ship dial in the game.
I'm just so thrilled they finally gave it a good thumping that I probably have a blind spot to whether it was taken too far.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

But you see you can still take Advanced Sensors + Engine + Autoblaster + Extra Munitions + Bomblet and IT'S STILL BROKEN gently caress THIS GAME FFG SUCKS SO BAD AND THEY SHOULD LET EVERYONE PROXY EVERYTHING BECAUSE OF TEXT CHANGES FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

sorry I got a little reddit on you

I'm sure they'll nerf Nym just as soon as they decided they've sold enough, Like Jumpmasters and Palpatine.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I guess people are just really excited to go back to the amazingly diverse meta of palp defenders as every 3rd list at tournaments.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Realistically it's probably going to be 2SF + Ace on 90% of tables now, Imperial players convinced themselves Defenders (edit: and Palp) are trash when they couldn't make terrible decisions every turn and still win

alg fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 26, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

I guess people are just really excited to go back to the amazingly diverse meta of palp defenders as every 3rd list at tournaments.

That's what we talked about down at the shop tonight. Everyone agreed we are going to see a lot of Palp +2 again. Not looking forward to seeing Palp and whisper again.

It is what it is.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
My main take away from all of this is people will bitch and moan about the meta no matter what, even before they know what it will be.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

My main take away from all of this is people will bitch and moan about the meta no matter what, even before they know what it will be.

Games like this are always about netdecking the most powerful list and having 99% of the player base run that poo poo into the ground until ffg is forced to do something about it so yeah i can see why.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Rebel Nym + 1 is going to be the new dominate rebel meta. He's largely uneffected by the genuis nerf. With a 2 ship build he can easily afford half a dozen non-bomblet bombs, and has insane synergy with Miranda w/ sabine since both of their abilities work on each other bomb's.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Play TIE mini-swarms + 1 ace, none of your ships will get nerfed! :shepicide:

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

This faq makes me incredibly happy. I never ran Biggs, but I always felt like I was doing myself a disservice by never fielding him in my lists. Now I don't have to feel that!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Flying against ImpAce lists is fun and good. Flying against rebel bombers and jumpmasters sucked rear end.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

That's what we talked about down at the shop tonight. Everyone agreed we are going to see a lot of Palp +2 again. Not looking forward to seeing Palp and whisper again.

It is what it is.

A return to a meta with ships with forward arcs that need to avoid bumps and roll attack dice vs evade dice to do damage?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

hoiyes posted:

A return to a meta with ships with forward arcs that need to avoid bumps and roll attack dice vs evade dice to do damage?

Now why would anybody want classic dogfighting in a game designed from the ground up to simulate dogfighting, based on an IP that explicitly bases its conception of small ship space combat on classic dogfighting?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'm just picturing all those sweet repainted trip jumpmaster squads being packed into a shoebox and slid under a desk somewhere :allears:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We're up to 7 players for the first-ever Jankmaster 5000 Tabletop Simulator League.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Igizmy5S584unQA0FxBxfeKICe_elsven4ThqlKiOtI/edit?usp=sharing

You have until Sunday 10/29 to sign up.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

hoiyes posted:

You just don't get it, This is a meta that MAY happen and it is terrible. And this is a meta that was around a while ago, but now will be sort of different because of changes since then. IF that happens and dog-fighting happens again, that will be terrible. And then I will complain about the meta that comes after it once that meta is changed or FAQ'ed.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
98 new replies? Did the new FAQ drop?

Why yes, yes it did!

I just wish I could read it at work. Alas, all FFG sites are blocked.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

IronSaber posted:

98 new replies? Did the new FAQ drop?

Why yes, yes it did!

I just wish I could read it at work. Alas, all FFG sites are blocked.

Biggs is once per game, Advanced SLAM is action bar only, the JumpMaster is nerfed into the ground and Mindlink is 2 per squad.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Some Numbers posted:

Biggs is once per game, Advanced SLAM is action bar only, the JumpMaster is nerfed into the ground and Mindlink is 2 per squad.

And don't for get that remove a token and discarding a token are the same thing!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Palp on the table again to see all the people who screeched about his fix playing him.

Not looking forward to 4 blanks becoming evades but :shrug:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Some Numbers posted:

I like all of these changes.

I just hope I can keep my Kanan/Lowhhrick build. I just got used to it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm sad about Mindlink, its overkill and could have been fixed such that it could be used as a buff for lovely EPT generics but not be broken on OP poo poo, but it was not to be.

Other than that this is great. gently caress Jumpmasters.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
My Ghost's peg broke last night at FFG's Game Center at their release event for Guns for Hire. It was a subtle way of the universe reinforcing that I can't run Chopper/Biggs ever again.

I wonder if the PS race will die down somewhat quickly, and if we'll see average agility values creep back up.

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm sad about Mindlink, its overkill and could have been fixed such that it could be used as a buff for lovely EPT generics but not be broken on OP poo poo, but it was not to be.

Other than that this is great. gently caress Jumpmasters.
It's really strange that they didn't just add something like this to Mindlink: "if you are stressed, you do not receive a focus token". That still feels viable, where 2 ship only seems like a complete waste. I wonder if we'll see any lists that are 2x Attani plus 3rd ship with PTL or something.

canyonero fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 26, 2017

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyonero posted:

My Ghost's peg broke last night at FFG's Game Center at their release event for Guns for Hire. It was a subtle way of the universe reinforcing that I can't run Chopper/Biggs ever again.

I wonder if the PS race will die down somewhat quickly, and if we'll see average agility values creep back up.

Agility yes, PS will depend on the players. It's mostly a self-reinforcing thing, so as soon as something major gets won by lower PS, it'll start dropping again. Gunboat will also help, being as it maxes at 9 and loads of people will be playing them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

LW Dash/Miranda has been my go-to for the last few months, and I'd estimate I'm at a 12-3 record with it in tournaments and TTS play. The version I run has Thermal Detonators, and I could drop those to Ion bombs or Seismics to sub in Experimental Interface and continue on business as usual.
Or I guess I could downgrade the cluster mines to prox mines and put in bomblet generator :v:

Two

alg posted:

Realistically it's probably going to be 2SF + Ace on 90% of tables now, Imperial players convinced themselves Defenders (edit: and Palp) are trash when they couldn't make terrible decisions every turn and still win

2SF+??? is a really good list. They have effectively the same hull/attack/shields/agility as defenders, a rear facing arc, less predictable dial, and access to the Systems slot (IMO the best upgrade slot in the game)

Quickdraw with FCS/LWF/Title before EPTs is 33 points, same as Vessery's base cost with x7 title. QD plus VI Vessery and O-Leader would probably be pretty good.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

New Biggs alt-art looking solid

(a lovely photoshop a friend sent me and I laughed entirely too hard at)

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Enough talk about the FAQ. Now tell me what's a cool StarViper list to play with tomorrow.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I haven't played X-Wing since Imperial Veterans was new, and I certainly didn't possess an overwhelming amount of love for Jumpmasters, but I actually do think it's pretty lovely that FFG's answer to the issue after, what, a year or more was to suddenly remove half the icons from the ship's bar, render half the upgrades the ship comes with incompatible with itself, and nerf a bunch of other related stuff like Mindlink and Manaroo and it's like why not just ban Jumpmasters altogether instead of telling people "yeah that $30 ship we wanted you to buy, it's fuckin garbage now btw." I've always wondered when this sort of serious errata would make its way into X-Wing and how weird it would be to have a ship that suddenly doesn't actually tell you what the deal is just by looking at it and it seems just as ugly and inelegant as I figured it might be.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

I haven't played X-Wing since Imperial Veterans was new, and I certainly didn't possess an overwhelming amount of love for Jumpmasters, but I actually do think it's pretty lovely that FFG's answer to the issue after, what, a year or more was to suddenly remove half the icons from the ship's bar, render half the upgrades the ship comes with incompatible with itself, and nerf a bunch of other related stuff like Mindlink and Manaroo and it's like why not just ban Jumpmasters altogether instead of telling people "yeah that $30 ship we wanted you to buy, it's fuckin garbage now btw." I've always wondered when this sort of serious errata would make its way into X-Wing and how weird it would be to have a ship that suddenly doesn't actually tell you what the deal is just by looking at it and it seems just as ugly and inelegant as I figured it might be.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/24/limited-resources/
Destiny's team has proven that they're much quicker with the errata/bans. A month ago they released a 2 player starter with a new version of Captain Phasma, and just now they've said ehhhhh increase her point cost by 1. They've also increased point cost on 3 other characters that were meta staples in order to shut down their most powerful pairings.

X-Wing's team has not errata'ed point cost yet for balance reasons, preferring instead to add negative point upgrades as pack-ins with epic ships or aces packs (a-wing, starviper, defender, kiraxzh) or to add new capabilities for the same price (TIE advanced, defender, starviper). This process is too slow, and has thus far only been used on dud ships because they were outclassed by later offerings (A-wings, TIE advanced) or were DOA from the beginning (kirakzh, starviper)

The closest they've come now to just straight errata'ing points costs is with the jumpmasters, but they did that by taking away capabilities from the ship. The M3-A scyk title got a buff too by adding a hull.
I don't know why the team is so averse to just straight up adjusting squad point costs on a more regular basis. I get that they have a bunch of printed material out there, but so does Destiny, and the CCG nature of that card game means that stuff gets printed in a giant print run and then goes out of print forever once it's sold out.

I wish they did. Just put a big table at the end of the FAQ with the old/new points values of any pilots and upgrades that are getting their costs adjusted.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

polynominal-c posted:

Enough talk about the FAQ. Now tell me what's a cool StarViper list to play with tomorrow.

I've been testing this as my next "serious business" list, and it's pretty solid so far.

Fenn Rau (PTL/Title/Autothrusters)
Thweek (Both titles, FCS, Autothrusters)
Trandoshan Slaver (Dengar, 4-LOM, Boba Fett)

In general, Thweek with both titles, autothrusters, and your choice of FCS or Advanced Sensors is gonna be really good. FCS is better for consistent damage, and Adv Sensors makes him a premier-level arc dodger with that funky barrel roll.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

canyonero posted:

It's really strange that they didn't just add something like this to Mindlink: "if you are stressed, you do not receive a focus token". That still feels viable, where 2 ship only seems like a complete waste. I wonder if we'll see any lists that are 2x Attani plus 3rd ship with PTL or something.

I tried dengar fenn inaldra with mindlink on the two small ships and expertise on dengar and it felt like poo poo.

Edit: i kinda want to try this list.

TIE Phantom: · "Whisper" (32)
Intensity (Exhausted) (2)
Fire Control System (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)
· Agent Kallus (2)
VT-49 Decimator: · Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Veteran Instincts (1)
· Emperor Palpatine (8)
· Kylo Ren (3)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

Rac goes in and shits any whisper threats down to ps0. Intensity kinda sucks on most pilots but i think with whisper it kinda works since you generate the token to flip it if you hit

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 26, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mindlink is entirely useless now, and it's easily the worst change of this FAQ. The opportunity cost of losing your EPT on two ships to gain ONE extra action (and that benefit can easily go away if one of the two ships dies) is far, far too high. The only way you'll see Mindlink is if you have two ships that really don't need their EPT slots for anything else.

My preferred fix was probably too much for a FAQ, but here it is:

Scrap the card as-is entirely. Change it to a *unique* 1-point EPT that reads:

"At the end of the Place Forces step, assign the "Mindlinked" condition to this ship and one other friendly ship."

The "Mindlinked" Condition would read exactly as attani mindlink does today.

This would allow you to get the (reduced) benefit of two-ship mindlink while one of your ships doesn't have to give up its EPT slot for it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

banned from Starbucks posted:

I tried dengar fenn inaldra with mindlink on the two small ships and expertise on dengar and it felt like poo poo.

Edit: i kinda want to try this list.

TIE Phantom: · "Whisper" (32)
Intensity (Exhausted) (2)
Fire Control System (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)
· Agent Kallus (2)
VT-49 Decimator: · Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Veteran Instincts (1)
· Emperor Palpatine (8)
· Kylo Ren (3)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

Rac goes in and shits any whisper threats down to ps0. Intensity kinda sucks on most pilots but i think with whisper it kinda works since you generate the token to flip it if you hit

Tried something similar to that, but Whisper really needs that PS. You can't rely on the damaged cockpit crit, especially as it only takes effect the next turn.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Give out sticker packs to put on your cards with the new FAQ changes.

I might actually do this if I had any design skill.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Give out sticker packs to put on your cards with the new FAQ changes.

I might actually do this if I had any design skill.

These guys have been pretty quick to update their site in the past: https://citrus7workshop.wordpress.com/errata/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Tried something similar to that, but Whisper really needs that PS. You can't rely on the damaged cockpit crit, especially as it only takes effect the next turn.

Yeah you have to hide whisper away somewhere for a turn or two. The only thing that really scares me is Fenn who will just evade everything Rac throws at him.

• Locked thread