Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

Admin departments and football departments are fairly separate guys.

If it was your football manager that had switched clubs, yes, I'd get a bit worried then.

Bains wasn't just admin for the Saints.

E: To clarify, as far as I'm aware he has a shitload to do with list management at the club and would almost certainly have access to information relating to draft prospects that could be useful to other clubs. He's not just some guy that sits in an office and has nothing to do with the draft.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
OK, well, that might be an issue, given the timing, but of course there might've been some exit clause saying he has to sit out of the upcoming draft. Whether that's enforceable or not is another matter.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Deadly Hume posted:

Admin departments and football departments are fairly separate guys.

If it was your football manager that had switched clubs, yes, I'd get a bit worried then.

Still missing Neil Balme, he is a great manager.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I have zero confidence in this not becoming a farce and/or debacle

quote:

AFL clubs will be able to keep trading draft picks after the trade deadline and right up until the national draft in a suite of changes proposed for, and likely to come into effect in, 2018.

Clubs will also be able to trade just-drafted players and draft picks on draft night under the proposals.

The AFL is already in negotiations with broadcasters over how the changes would affect the live broadcast on draft night.

The draft working party, comprising various club list managers and AFL acting football operations manager Andrew Dillon, is looking at the changes for next year.

The live trading of drafted players or picks is seen to have already been introduced in part by the bidding system for academy or father son selections.

Last year for instance, Will Setterfield was theoretically briefly a Carlton player before GWS, who had a priority access to him as an academy player, used the points attached to another draft pick to secure the player.

Presently, clubs trade for early draft picks in the trade period because they have designs on trying to secure a certain player. But they always face the uncertainty that another club will still get in ahead of them for that player. By being able to trade for just-drafted players, clubs can trade in the certainty of securing a particular player.

The AFL is understood to be open to the proposal and are attracted to the drama the new component would bring to draft night.

The exchanging of draft picks after the trade deadline is seen as a means of helping encourage more movement in the trade period, as clubs are not held up by haggling over draft pick deals.

Clubs typically focus on trading for players first and only afterwards try to do deals to exchange draft picks – that have a new currency now that they have points attached for academy and father son selections.

The trading of players as well as picks is common in US sports, particularly the NFL where the draft night is a high rating television event.

"My opinion is it will come in next year, which will be exciting. I think the trade period will probably work similarly to how it is now, so there will be picks and players going around October 20," Hawthorn list manager Graham Wright told his club's website.

"Then I think the way it will work is you'll be able to trade picks basically after that period of time, where players stop, all the way through to the draft and in the draft. It will be an exciting and new phase in what the draft will look like."

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I've never understood how that on-trading thing on draft night can possibly be a good idea. Because it would be "more exciting?" Sure, so would a bomb threat. Doesn't make it a good idea.

Seems like the kind of thing that will happen once or twice at most and then everyone will give it massive scrutiny and clubs will be loathe to do it ever again.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I dunno, it works in other sports and would allow for draft picks to be traded across the floor based on the evolution of the draft. Could work, probably wont.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

The Deadly Hume posted:

OK, well, that might be an issue, given the timing, but of course there might've been some exit clause saying he has to sit out of the upcoming draft. Whether that's enforceable or not is another matter.

Turns out he doesnt start at the dogs until december so post draft anyway. No issues!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Nutsngum posted:

Turns out he doesnt start at the dogs until december so post draft anyway. No issues!

I think most AFL contracts start/end on the day of the final list lodgement don't they? Apart from senior coaches where there is a shitload of prep work to do for the upcoming season and post finals/pre-draft is about the only spare time they have to get all that done.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Just listening to SEN while in the car briefly, they had Peter Jackson Melb CEO on for an extended chat, was quite an interesting interview.

He spoke about the Dees chasing Lever, saying that they would have drafted him if they could, and have basically targeted him since the draft to get him back to Melbourne. So it basically puts to bed all this chat about BT and Vic-media getting Lever home.

Also he was quite open about Watts and his move to Port.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I've heard the "Melbourne would have drafted Lever if they'd had a chance" thing before. Seems like an easy throwaway line to me. Melbourne had two picks before the Crows took Lever, and then not another one until pick 40. Unless they were going to pass on one of Brayshaw or Petracca, it's pretty clear they were never going to be drafting him.

It would be like the Crows luring Andrew McGrath over and then saying "oh we would have drafted you in 2016 if we'd had the chance". No poo poo, but they were never going to.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 24, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

I dunno, it works in other sports and would allow for draft picks to be traded across the floor based on the evolution of the draft. Could work, probably wont.

other sports have trading periods that last until halfway through the loving season.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Spedman posted:

He spoke about the Dees chasing Lever, saying that they would have drafted him if they could, and have basically targeted him since the draft to get him back to Melbourne. So it basically puts to bed all this chat about BT and Vic-media getting Lever home.

As though Melbourne were the only club targeting him for a trade since draft day, and the only ones involved this year, considering his management via BT also solicited and negotiated offers from the Pies and the Bulldogs, and those are just the ones that were made public. The Melbourne CEO is just trying to keep spinning the "he just came home, we're his first love, it was for family not money, he took a pay cut" nonsense they've been trying to sell all month.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 24, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
i wonder what kind of soft drink Lever prefers

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Essendon has delisted Howlett and Bird; we must be pretty confident in the developing inside midfielders if we're getting rid of those two.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Essendon has delisted Howlett and Bird; we must be pretty confident in the developing inside midfielders if we're getting rid of those two.

Dont Essendon have bugger all Inside mids as it is?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Dont Essendon have bugger all Inside mids as it is?

There are a number of potential inside mids but none that have proven form at the AFL level.

Kobe Mutch came runner up in the VFL B&F spending a bit of time as an inside mid and Dylan Clarke has been quite good at VFL level playing full time inside mid too (although he kicks like the wog kids at school who don't give a gently caress about footy). Both of those guys are first year players who show a bit of promise. There is also the expectation that Kyle Langford will be able to step up, although to date he hasn't done a lot outside of the VFL. Josh Begley is another first year player who might be able to make the transition from forward to midfield. Jayden Laverde certainly has the physique to play that big bodied midfielder role but injuries have hampered his development. Andrew McGrath should make the transition from defender to midfielder easily enough and while he's pretty small his stoppage work was quite good as a junior and was able to rack up some pretty huge numbers. There's also Jake Stringer, to date it looks like he goes alright in bursts in the midfield but never got the fitness to spend more time there. It sounds like he'll be training mostly with the midfield group this preseason so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

It looks like there will be a lot of players rotating heavily between the midfield and the forward line, hopefully at least a couple of them will be able to become full time inside mids but time will tell I guess.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

realbez posted:

anything other than adelaide tapwater

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

As though Melbourne were the only club targeting him for a trade since draft day, and the only ones involved this year, considering his management via BT also solicited and negotiated offers from the Pies and the Bulldogs, and those are just the ones that were made public. The Melbourne CEO is just trying to keep spinning the "he just came home, we're his first love, it was for family not money, he took a pay cut" nonsense they've been trying to sell all month.

From the interview this morning Peter Jackson definitely wasn't trying to play the innocent card, he was very much saying they have targeted getting him home for a long time, and they were dead keen to get their man. There was no coating with bullshit about family or pay.

Same with his comments on Watts, basically said he's a good bloke but just doesn't have the competitive nature they want in a player, and it wasn't good overall having someone like that in the group. Very honest interview.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

anything other than adelaide tapwater

Hah noice

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

gay picnic defence posted:

There are a number of potential inside mids but none that have proven form at the AFL level.

Kobe Mutch came runner up in the VFL B&F spending a bit of time as an inside mid and Dylan Clarke has been quite good at VFL level playing full time inside mid too (although he kicks like the wog kids at school who don't give a gently caress about footy). Both of those guys are first year players who show a bit of promise. There is also the expectation that Kyle Langford will be able to step up, although to date he hasn't done a lot outside of the VFL. Josh Begley is another first year player who might be able to make the transition from forward to midfield. Jayden Laverde certainly has the physique to play that big bodied midfielder role but injuries have hampered his development. Andrew McGrath should make the transition from defender to midfielder easily enough and while he's pretty small his stoppage work was quite good as a junior and was able to rack up some pretty huge numbers. There's also Jake Stringer, to date it looks like he goes alright in bursts in the midfield but never got the fitness to spend more time there. It sounds like he'll be training mostly with the midfield group this preseason so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

It looks like there will be a lot of players rotating heavily between the midfield and the forward line, hopefully at least a couple of them will be able to become full time inside mids but time will tell I guess.

Either they know something we don't or they have a lot of misplaced confidence. I mean all of these options like Mutch, Clarke, Begs, McGrath, Parish, Stringer, Laverde etc could end up being the inside mids we needs, but they're really all unproven at the top level/not ready yet. Really struggle to see where our inside work comes from.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

News: Suns vs Port in Shanghai is round 9 next year

Views: I will probably be there hungover as a lord after playing lovely amateur footy the day before

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Tuesday night game for Tigers and Dees next year, day before anzac day... that is a long break (and then a short break)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

harperdc posted:

News: Suns vs Port in Shanghai is round 9 next year

Views: I will probably be there hungover as a lord after playing lovely amateur footy the day before

Didn’t Koch have a massive loving tantrum and say the suns wouldn’t be invited back next year?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

realbez posted:

Kirks Sno-Dropping off some gear at the tip.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

Same with his comments on Watts, basically said he's a good bloke but just doesn't have the competitive nature they want in a player, and it wasn't good overall having someone like that in the group. Very honest interview.

So when are they delisting the rest of the players then?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

realbez posted:

lemon lime & bitters

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

Didn’t Koch have a massive loving tantrum and say the suns wouldn’t be invited back next year?

Yes, however, this

quote:

THE AFL will play for premiership points in China for a second time in 2018.

Port Adelaide’s ambitious play to the Asian nation will continue when it once again faces the Gold Coast Suns in Shanghai.

The ground has been christened as Adelaide Arena at Jiangwan Stadium, with the match to be played in Round 9 on the afternoon of Saturday May 19.

This season, the Power thumped the Suns by 72 points in front of 10,118 fans in Shanghai. The Power want to increase ticketing for 2018’s match to 13,000.

Both teams were given an early bye after the fixture to compensate for the long-distance travel.

Gold Coast has been forced to relocate several of its home games due to the 2018 Commonwealth Games being held in the city.

The Suns will not be able to play at Metricon Stadium until early June, but will play seven home games there after their return.

Gold Coast will face North Melbourne at Cairns’ Cazalys Stadium in Round 1.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The Suns might actually even turn up next year.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Travis Cloke has retired.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So Cloke retires, we release Crameri and we re-sign Honeychurch. I'm scratching my head at this so hard that I feel like I'm going to hit my brain. I would rather take a punt at a pick at 100+ over retaining Honeychurch for another year when he's just not up to playing at AFL level.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought we had an offer on the table for a year or two for Hartung, but now he has been delisted. I guess that means he refused it and walked? He isn’t a DFA if he refused a contract. Who would waste a psd or national draft pick on him? Pretty crazy.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
In other relatively recent high draft pick delistings is Ben Lennon from the Tigers. Not sure what happened with him, he seemed to have talent and destroys the VFL but just hasn't translated to AFL. Any Tigers fans have more insight on him?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

I thought we had an offer on the table for a year or two for Hartung, but now he has been delisted. I guess that means he refused it and walked? He isn’t a DFA if he refused a contract. Who would waste a psd or national draft pick on him? Pretty crazy.

Sounds like a job for Collingwood

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I probably just imagined the contract offer

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Anyone after someone who can run like blazes but gets confused about what to do with the ball?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Anyone after someone who can run like blazes but gets confused about what to do with the ball?

Im guessing youre talking about Hartung but surely he cant be that bad with it? He has mustered 50+ games, 20 of which where in a premiership year so he cant be that bad.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Well hes worse than Impey coming into a team completely cold, evidently

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Apparently his dad is a bit of a fuckwit who has no hesitation in emailing Clarko his thoughts on selection and gives plenty of free coaching 'advice'.

edit

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 26, 2017

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Im guessing youre talking about Hartung but surely he cant be that bad with it? He has mustered 50+ games, 20 of which where in a premiership year so he cant be that bad.

When Brad Hill left, the speedy outside run was left to Hartung, and he was found lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

He’s had a couple of good games but usually he’s pretty bad.

• Locked thread