Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hope expansion still halves that cost. Caching. :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Magil Zeal posted:

Also, yes, the dev diary confirms they're built on stars.

Starports! Of course!! Genius!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"Modules will also change the graphical appearance of the Starbase, so a dedicated Shipyard will look different from a massive defensive-oriented fortress brimming with dozens of gun turrets."

Why do you do this to your artists?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Since Wiz & company seem to be knee-deep in gameplay changes already, how about another addition to the pile:

Problem 1: From the midgame on, players usually seem to have at least one of their resources at or near capacity (thus wasting production) during peacetime.

Problem 2: Planetary tile resources are often either inefficiently distributed (so that there is no good place for the capital building to go), or simply few in number.

My solution to this would be to allow redevelopment of tiles at a large cost of stored resources. A midgame technology first allows building food/mineral/energy tiles that add +1, then a later technology expands this to a maximum of +2 (vast and immense deposits should always remain special and unreplicatable), and finally a late-game technology opens up tiles for physics/society/engineering development to +1. Each tile redevelopment would delete all previously existing resources of any other type after the process is completed and instead add one of the desired type. Only one tile per planet can be worked on like this at a time, and the process takes 10 years (less with the Mastery of Nature perk).

Any comments welcome.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sovereignity should be like old Eve Online sov rules. Fueling, contesting tower count, reinforcement, random timers.

Hire me Paradox.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why isn't the last level called starcitadel? Also what about starkeep, starfort, starcastle, starborg and so on?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

:allears:

This is a good endgame crisis, but I've not seen the redone scourge/unbidden yet so I've only got the old, disappointing ones to go by.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Poil posted:

Why isn't the last level called starcitadel? Also what about starkeep, starfort, starcastle, starborg and so on?

Gotta leave room for modders to come up with a bunch of expanded starport level names.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

...is this a Posadist mod for Hearts of Iron, holy poo poo.

it is and it is AWESOME and goon-made.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1156789523

download it and you too can abolish time with your army of cyborg trotsky commando clones

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This update is what I've been dreaming of.
Wiz confirmed in a tweek this is coming out next week right?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 26, 2017

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Baronjutter posted:

Actually it is already out, but you're in the wrong timeline

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

It's already out, you must not be on the Good List

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Reading through the Paradox forum thread, it seems you can't invade any planets in system until taking control of the starbase. Makes sense, in as much as this is all about moving something from the planet to the star. Has some implications for the ground combat system which I hope is getting some attention in this update. Also wonder if you can use a starport you take control of for the duration of the war even if you don't take permanent possession of it.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Oh, Wiz, it's like some wonderful dream! Hoping that the warscore screen looks like EU4/Sector Management where you just pick the systems you want on the galactic map.

Also skimming the Paradox thread the number of people who actually like how borders works currently is completely baffling.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz on the official forums said about primitives posted:

This is something we're currently sorting out, I'm currently leaning towards giving the empire who owns the system of the spacefaring primitives the choice between making them a protectorate and ceding the starbase or stopping them from becoming spacefaring altogether.
Wiz, you're missing the opportunity to require primitives to convert all their pops into colony ships and then be expelled from your territory, guarded by a single rusty cruiser. :colbert:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Aethernet posted:

Wiz, you're missing the opportunity to require primitives to convert all their pops into colony ships and then be expelled from your territory, guarded by a single rusty cruiser. :colbert:

I think this would be equivalent to invading and then purging with displacement.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

I think this would be equivalent to invading and then purging with displacement.

But then my robot overlords wouldn't be able to pursue them as they fled. What's the point of displacement if I can't start a quasi-spiritual hunt through the stars?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I prefer the method where they're dropped on a lovely planet and enforcing no-FTL on their ignorant descendants or else they get bombarded from orbit.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Gonna shed a tear for stacking +border %, but yeah, this looks good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I guess this is the military expansion since we're getting like half the stuff Wiz has speculated about wanting to do eventually in the past. Fleet overhaul, border overhaul, station overhaul, FTL overhaul (based on the whole second expansion diary being about FTL), and hopefully invasion/army overhaul. :toot:

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
When's manpower/sailors coming?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gimmick Account posted:

Problem 1: From the midgame on, players usually seem to have at least one of their resources at or near capacity (thus wasting production) during peacetime.

Wait what? Unless didn't buy Leviathans for some reason, or you're playing a Purifier type (who can't access Enclave services), there is absolutely no reason to be capped on any resource. If you are routinely sitting at that ceiling, you are doing something wrong.

Midnightghoul posted:

When's manpower/sailors coming?

New feature: Fallen Empires now tributary all empires even remotely close to them, preventing the player from attacking them.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
For wishlisting, here's how I would change FTL drives in stellaris.

1. All ships have Warp by default. It is slow, an unreliable with a chance that some ships come out of FTL damaged, or go missing. Tie that into random events so that you could have one of your own future ships drop out of warp, giving you some neat narrative and science opportunities.

2. Research can improve your Warp drives. Both speed and reliability. At higher levels of research it branches so you have to choose between improving either speed or reliability further, which cuts off your ability to improve the aspect you didn't pick.

3. You can research hyperlanes. You still use normal warp engines to access them. Using a hyperlane vastly improves travel speed and greatly reduce the risk of mishaps, in exchange for being limited to set predefined lanes.

4. You can also research wormholes. Instead of being their own free FTL system, wormholes are now strictly point to point, requiring a wormhole station at either end. The upside is that you can go from one station, or gate if you will, directly to any other in your system. Wormhole networks are in this way utilised as a logistical system, build one gate at your shipyard system and another at your heavily fortified fortress system. Wormhole stations are still as vulnerable as they currently are, so an enemy can destroy your stations to hinder you. They are also far more expensive than they currently are, and cost upkeep. Building an empire wide gate network that allows transit to and from every settled system is possible but expensive.

5. Warp drives are heavy, costly, and power hungry components. Allow you to build ships without a warp drive. These sublight ships can only move from system to system via wormholes, but in exchange, not having to have an expensive, bulky, and power hungry warp drive allows these ships to be more heavily armed and armoured than your warp ships.

6. (Optional) Add a hull section to the largest ship class that forgoes any normal slots and instead mounts a mobile wormhole station. Cost and/or upkeep of this module would be even higher than conventional stationary wormhole station in exchange for letting you use your defensive sublight ships offensively.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

unreliable with a chance that some ships come out of FTL damaged, or go missing.

Oh hell no. This is the kind of thing that infuriates a player. Losing ships when you hit the emergency warp button is one thing, because it's a conscious act on the player's part that has a chance to cause a small negative effect. Being completely beholden to the RNG gods at the start of the game is just frustrating and annoying. Every time you move a science ship you would need to remove the scientist from leading it, because if it vanishes you don't want to be out another 50 influence for a new one. Massive amounts of micromanagement just to lessen the punishment for exploring.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think I said this before, but I think I'd like that you can start with hyperlanes or warp, but they don't improve much beyond how they start out and the first big leap is when you first research the one you didn't start with, dump both on your ships, and can then use whichever is more advantageous in each situation.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hate trying to play while being bombarded with how awesome things are going to be in the next big dlc patch, again. :f5:

Aethernet posted:

But then my robot overlords wouldn't be able to pursue them as they fled. What's the point of displacement if I can't start a quasi-spiritual hunt through the stars?
Why waste time with displacement?

:toot:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

These changes all sound extremely good. Honestly didn't expect this kind of total overhaul (maybe in Stellaris 2) but I'm not complaining.

canepazzo posted:

Sovereignity should be like old Eve Online sov rules. Fueling, contesting tower count, reinforcement, random timers.

Hire me Paradox.

:suicide:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

binge crotching posted:

Oh hell no. This is the kind of thing that infuriates a player. Losing ships when you hit the emergency warp button is one thing, because it's a conscious act on the player's part that has a chance to cause a small negative effect. Being completely beholden to the RNG gods at the start of the game is just frustrating and annoying. Every time you move a science ship you would need to remove the scientist from leading it, because if it vanishes you don't want to be out another 50 influence for a new one. Massive amounts of micromanagement just to lessen the punishment for exploring.
Well, a ship just vanishing would be a really small chance to begin with. And, to make it less punishing, you could either have that outcome only valid for military ships, or make it so that an entire fleet can't vanish, just one or a few ships from the fleet.

My thought is that it should be a hazard along the lines of the various hostile critters already floating around in space. Dangerous early game, but avoidable, and with tech you can mitigate the danger.

You could for example have unstable regions visible on the map, warping through one of those is where mishaps can happen, making it a player choice to get from A to B quicker at the cost of some ships being thrown off course/emerging damaged/go missing, rather than it being straight up RNG bullshit.

A science ship on auto explore would if possible path around such dangers, and prioritise hyperlanes once discovered.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Wiz posted:

Yeah, can't invade primitives outside your borders. No influence cost for colonizing or invading primitives though.

Do you need extra influence to colonize a planet that is inside your borders with the changes?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Is all this content gonna be in a free update?? That's nuts

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

IAmTheRad posted:

Do you need extra influence to colonize a planet that is inside your borders with the changes?

No

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Since I'm the kind of player who does things in big clumps then gets distracted microing a war, I have to ask if there will at least be something like the sector assigning interface for building outposts or if I'll have to go and build each one individually while keeping them spread out across my construction ships. As it stands, we're going to be building a lot of outposts.

That or I'll wait for my Holy Lord and Savior the Autobuild Mod to rescue me. Seriously, hire that guy.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 26, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Quoth the dev diary:

quote:

As Starbases now determine system ownership, it will no longer be possible to colonize or invade primitives outside your borders in the Cherryh update...[and] since Starbases now cost influence to construct (see below), we have removed the influence cost for colonizing and attacking primitives.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This update already sounds god-tier and it’s in the beginning phases. I’m really excited for the future of this game.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

gowb posted:

I highly doubt it but you never know.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Danann posted:

I prefer the method where they're dropped on a lovely planet and enforcing no-FTL on their ignorant descendants or else they get bombarded from orbit.

Hell no, that event chain just eventually leads to a massive doomstack carving a warpath straight to the capitol at the heart of your empire, CK2 decadence invasion style. Purge with fire!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

gowb posted:

My money is on 'yes', because it would probably be too much work to create this whole new system of system ownership/stellar spaceports, and then also maintain the old method of border extrusion and planetary spaceports.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Paradox.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Anything that's a paid feature will be explicitly marked as such. So far, everything is free, and there hasn't even been a paid expansion so much as hinted at.

And yeah, just practically, this is such a huge overhaul to the very core of the game that trying to charge money for it would get basically the entire fanbase up in arms, not to mention the developer hell of trying to make a game with two radically different territory and war systems for portions of your players.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that this appears to completely decouple territory and colonization.

Because your ability to hold territory is entirely dictated by who owns the system outpost and how well they can back that claim up with guns.

So you can call dibs on space without any planets in it, just by plopping down posts and building a fleet base somewhere nearby.

Presumably at this point, planets are just like really good resource nodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well, Cherryh is going to be a big one :stare:

• Locked thread