Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

eyebeem posted:

Not on-site, no. You're almost certainly better off flying into Ontario, as I'm assuming "ahole CA" means the Inland Empire.

I actually ended up flying into LAX and taking a rental car to Vegas instead of flying direct to Vegas for twice the price, or taking a layover that would have been just as long as getting the car and driving. I made the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I bought a house solely to install a level 2 EV Charger in, and I know Clipper Creek is the go to charger in any case, but has anyone installed an OpenEVSE charger? I’m considering their complete kit for the 40A L2 and the few YouTube videos I’ve seen show folks are thrilled with them, but much as with any DIY stuff I fear waking up one morning to a pissed-off girlfriend asking why her Leaf didn’t charge after the needlessly complex control system takes a hot dump.

The reasons I’m considering it is because of cost and the charge timer options, and it will most likely be hardwired into prevent theft as it’s living in a car port. Any advice is appreciated.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ripoff posted:

Any advice is appreciated.

Is the biggest reason to avoid peak prices? Several cars have charge timers built in, but I don't know how well they work, if it's just "push button, start charging at 9 PM." I'd probably go for it, I'm guessing you can monitor and trigger it externally as well, which means you can obsessively check that charging started via an app the first month or so.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Is the biggest reason to avoid peak prices? Several cars have charge timers built in, but I don't know how well they work, if it's just "push button, start charging at 9 PM." I'd probably go for it, I'm guessing you can monitor and trigger it externally as well, which means you can obsessively check that charging started via an app the first month or so.

It’s between timing to avoid peak pricing, also the ability to see how many kWh we’ve used charging and the cost of the unit. I originally was also looking for something to disable charging while we’re on vacation or otherwise away for a weekend, then I realized that any EVSE can do that by walking to the basement and tripping the circuit breaker. :downs:

The Leaf does have charge timing functions as does the Bolt, and I believe both tell you kWh usage. Those two are the EVs I can afford (used Leaf first, Bolt lease in a few years) so it’s honestly probably the cost and the “neat-but-I’ll-stop-caring-after-a-month” features (like you said). I’m a cheap-rear end, what can I say? :shrug:

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Ripoff posted:

It’s between timing to avoid peak pricing, also the ability to see how many kWh we’ve used charging and the cost of the unit. I originally was also looking for something to disable charging while we’re on vacation or otherwise away for a weekend, then I realized that any EVSE can do that by walking to the basement and tripping the circuit breaker. :downs:

The Leaf does have charge timing functions as does the Bolt, and I believe both tell you kWh usage. Those two are the EVs I can afford (used Leaf first, Bolt lease in a few years) so it’s honestly probably the cost and the “neat-but-I’ll-stop-caring-after-a-month” features (like you said). I’m a cheap-rear end, what can I say? :shrug:

Juicebox pro will let you do all that from your phone. If you already have an evse you can get their smart adapter which I think does the same thing.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
The Honda Urban EV concept now has a slightly bigger brother:

Oh, and the Urban EV is going into production.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweet! I hope it looks anything like the concept at all.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Sweet! I hope it looks anything like the concept at all.

Honda recently told Reuters it lost its mojo somewhere along the line, and they’re trying to get it back. So it depends on which Honda gets it; if it’s the Accord team, you’re going to end up with boring, committee-approved dreck in the form of an SUV or crossover. If they let the teams behind the S2000 or NSX have a shot, then we’re going to have one hell of a cool car on our hands.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Look Honda, all I want is the 3.5L V6 in a honda fit, thanks.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Itzena posted:

I want that car on the right. I also want the constant washing to keep it that color.

Man, that thing is really leaning into the whole 'plastic car' thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

I'd prefer a B16 but will settle for a K20A3

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Itzena posted:

drat, do I want one of those BAD.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Itzena posted:

Both of these are cool as gently caress. Imagine these rolling down a Tokyo boulevard.

Separate question: would EV concepts be anywhere near what they are today, with virtually every manufacturer participating, without Tesla existing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Concepts, yeah. Real electric cars probably not.

Look at the GM Hy-wire or Autonomy concepts from waaaaay before tesla even existed.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/gm-hy-wire-concept/
https://www.supercars.net/blog/2002-gm-autonomy-concept/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'd prefer a B16 but will settle for a K20A3

Do they offer these anymore? I mean they say they are going crazy but you can't have low production run engines that is just not workable.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Michael Scott posted:

Both of these are cool as gently caress. Imagine these rolling down a Tokyo boulevard.

Separate question: would EV concepts be anywhere near what they are today, with virtually every manufacturer participating, without Tesla existing?

Sort of. Even with Tesla they were dragging their feet (other than Nissan and GM). It needed Dieselegate to really light a fire under the industry.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Honda, that interior, what are you doing. Don't learn the bad lessons from the Model 3.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy poo poo, the Tesla store just offered me $400 more than I owe on the Volt.

I haven't been rightsideup on this thing since I bought it. Even if I don't buy a car, this is a great feeling. :)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Holy poo poo, the Tesla store just offered me $400 more than I owe on the Volt.

I haven't been rightsideup on this thing since I bought it. Even if I don't buy a car, this is a great feeling. :)

Are you seriously considering buying a new car when you’re only $400 in the black on a car?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Are you seriously considering buying a new car when you’re only $400 in the black on a car?

Cars are depreciating assets. You have no idea if they put $0 down on the car, and or financed it for 0-prime%. There's nothing wrong with that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

eyebeem posted:

Cars are depreciating assets. You have no idea if they put $0 down on the car, and or financed it for 0-prime%. There's nothing wrong with that.

All of the above. If I end up with a new car (not a certainty, yet,) it’ll probably be the first time I’ll be in a non-zero percent loan. GMAC had a serious free-money-for-everyone phase, and I took advantage on both the Volt, and the GTO I owned before it. I still don’t know how they made a dime on either of those cars.

The real story is that I’m not horrifically upside-down on the Volt, like I have been for the majority of its life. The (lack of) resale value on that thing was way worse than what I thought when I bought it, and I used pretty loving pessimistic numbers. It’s been a great car, but it was a shockingly bad purchase, overall.

loving GM. :(

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

All of the above. If I end up with a new car (not a certainty, yet,) it’ll probably be the first time I’ll be in a non-zero percent loan. GMAC had a serious free-money-for-everyone phase, and I took advantage on both the Volt, and the GTO I owned before it. I still don’t know how they made a dime on either of those cars.

The real story is that I’m not horrifically upside-down on the Volt, like I have been for the majority of its life. The (lack of) resale value on that thing was way worse than what I thought when I bought it, and I used pretty loving pessimistic numbers. It’s been a great car, but it was a shockingly bad purchase, overall.

loving GM. :(

This is why I’m 100% in for buying used EVs for the next few years, at least. It’s been one model year update and my Zero FXS got a 10% upgrade in battery capacity with the same weight as before. This also gives it an (arguably) 10% higher power output.

I realize now that my FXS is pretty much worthless on the used market, but such is life when dealing with new tech. I still like it a ton and plan on throwing some meatier tires on it for fire trail fuckery down the line, and the battery will long outlast my lard-ridden rear end off-road so there’s no reason to abandon it. Just, drat we are improving fast.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If my commute was just 10 miles shorter each way I could get away with a used leaf or 500e and be in loving heaven. There's so many 500e's for $6000-7000 around here. For now I have no use-case for an ev with less than 120-140 miles of range, though, which is a bummer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
BEVs are all lease for the foreseeable future. Too much depreciation and too much quick improvement to purchase.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Put the new NSX hybrid drivetrain inside the car, remove the seats, massive boxy fender flares and rear or all wheel drive :getin:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I guess I must be one of the few who gives absolutely 0 shits about depreciation or resale value. I drive a car until it falls apart and is completely uneconomical to repair, or gets totaled. (or in this case, gifted my previous car to my parents who where in need of one)

With my average mileage in a given year, there where no sane lease options. So I bought my '17 Volt at less than 1% financing. I guess I could have waited until there was a 0% offer, but I really wanted to claim the tax credit for 2016... Bought with 3 days left in 2016...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That makes more sense on a Volt than something like a Leaf IMO

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dissss posted:

Leaf=CO2+H2O+Y?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

dissss posted:

After 5 years the volt will probably have more electric range than a leaf would have left. :cheeky:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ClassH posted:

After 5 years the volt will probably have more electric range than a leaf would have left. :cheeky:

This is proving true already.

There are a few known Gen1 Volts with 200,000+ miles and still have the original EV range.

The car really babies the battery. It is actively heated and cooled (unlike the Leaf, which has no active cooling). And it never discharges below 10%, nor above 90%. (Real SOC, not what is shown on the dash.) The car has enough hidden "buffer" that even if the battery did degrade, it is unlikely to affect EV range at all. On the Gen2 at least, while it has 18.4kWh capacity the car only lets you use 14Kwh of it for EV driving.

A work colleague of mine has a early Leaf (2012 I think...) His battery has not fared well.. He is lucky to get 55 miles out of 100% charge in the summer, without AC. I've not asked about his winter range, but I can imagine it is significantly less than 55 miles.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 27, 2017

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just got a Model 3 delay email from Tesla, said that the estimated delivery dates would be updated in the next 24 hours.

For now it still says November - January 2018 is my expected date.

quote:

Thank you again for your Model 3 reservation. We’re making significant progress clearing early production bottlenecks but, as we continue to work through them, your estimated delivery timing will now be slightly later than we originally expected. Over the next 24 hours, you can log into your Tesla Account at any time to view your updated delivery window.

Thank you for your patience and, more importantly, for believing in a sustainable energy future. We’re working hard to make it happen.

You can find more information on your reservation, your delivery timing, and get a first look at the latest Model 3 vehicles coming off the line here.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Arkane posted:

Just got a Model 3 delay email from Tesla, said that the estimated delivery dates would be updated in the next 24 hours.
Weird, don't they know the modern way of customer service is to just be silent and have estimated delivery dates two months in the past?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Arkane posted:

For now it still says November - January 2018 is my expected date.
Same e-mail. We knew it was an optimistic timeline.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
In their quarterly ER, they state that they only made 260 Model3s and delivered 222 in the past three months.

They now state that they will reach 5,000 cars per week in late March quarter 2018. If you believe that, then they're about three months behind the original schedule. Battery modules are the stated bottleneck.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Oh neat I got the delay email too, really just reminded me how I need to do whatever to get my $1,000 back.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beffer posted:

In their quarterly ER, they state that they only made 260 Model3s and delivered 222 in the past three months.

They now state that they will reach 5,000 cars per week in late March quarter 2018. If you believe that, then they're about three months behind the original schedule. Battery modules are the stated bottleneck.

I really would like to see Tesla succeed just because I think it'd be grand for everyone if Elon "Ol' Musky" Musk's plans all came true. But I can't help but feel a little bit of schadenfreude when they repeatedly promise things that industry experts claim are impossible, confidently thumb their nose at the companies who have been mass-producing cars for over a hundred years, and then run headlong into the same logistics and supply chain issues that those companies had to spend decades working to overcome.

Real numbers:

Tesla aims to eventually scale up to 300,000 cars per year? General Motors sells as many cars in three days as Tesla sold in the entirety of last year, and GM is still only the world's third-largest auto manufacturer. They hit 300,000 cars every eleven days.

Elon Musk thinks he's doing something impressive with the Gigafactory? The Ford River Rouge plant, the largest factory in the world at the time, took iron ore and coke in one side and pumped 800 cars per day (that's Tesla's 300,000/a) out the other...in 1920.

Hubris is a hell of a drug.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

I guess I must be one of the few who gives absolutely 0 shits about depreciation or resale value. I drive a car until it falls apart and is completely uneconomical to repair, or gets totaled. (or in this case, gifted my previous car to my parents who where in need of one)

With my average mileage in a given year, there where no sane lease options. So I bought my '17 Volt at less than 1% financing. I guess I could have waited until there was a 0% offer, but I really wanted to claim the tax credit for 2016... Bought with 3 days left in 2016...

I'm with you I bought a car assuming all that money was gone and anything I get back for it later is a bonus but I'm on my 9th year with my car right now

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Sagebrush posted:

Elon Musk thinks he's doing something impressive with the Gigafactory? The Ford River Rouge plant, the largest factory in the world at the time, took iron ore and coke in one side and pumped 800 cars per day (that's Tesla's 300,000/a) out the other...in 1920.
Maybe that's easier than getting other companies to provide a variety of promised parts to your factory. I guess that's why Musk is factorying up his own batteries now.

Also, the cars of 1920 didn't have to be safe, or functional, or pass through a mindbending series of bureaucratic hoops before they could escape a factory. And you could grind up a worker or two per day and just consider it part of the expected risk of being employed. Not that it wasn't still an impressive achievement, turning raw materials into cars is pretty amazing in any year.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yes assembling pre-manufactured parts is easier then refining everything from scratch :rolleyes:

Plus you say that as if there aren't already a dozen+ factories already capable of out producing teslas goal already, and that's just in the US/setting aside the elonflation of that 300k number.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
For the record, my 3's original Oct-Jan expected date has been pushed to Dec-Feb

• Locked thread