Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
And it's out! Spoooooky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

download it and don't get spooked

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

If someone gets the chance to play the new content, please don't hesitate to give first impressions. If it's the size of Hidden Dreams I wanna wait for the final dlc before starting a new playthrough.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Fuligin posted:

If someone gets the chance to play the new content, please don't hesitate to give first impressions. If it's the size of Hidden Dreams I wanna wait for the final dlc before starting a new playthrough.

It's more or less the same size as Hidden Dreams. Probably will take most people around 2 hours unless they get majorly stuck on a boss (the final boss is close to radiance level difficulty IMO), or if they decide to look for the quest activation point/charms on their own and have trouble finding them. The quest you do involves going to various places across the entire map, which seems like it would be better as something that is done during a playthrough and not just hopping from point to point because everything else to do in the areas are already completed.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do I seriously lose access to the rest of the DLC content if I help the guy banish the grimm troupe? This is some tremendous bullshit if true

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
PSA: Don't loving do that I guess

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Lol the thing that happens after you get all the half mask lady's gifts and go talk to the source of the original charms is hosed up.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I got to the first boss of the Troupe and it's hard, and awesome. The whole quest definitely feels like it'd be more suited to being part of a playthrough rather than postgame event so I'll might end up holding off until I have more time for proper replay

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

per reddit, there's also apparently a new optional section to the white palace(which you can now revisit after beating) called the PATH OF PAIN. Don't know what the reward is if there even is one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Shame this had to come out a day before Odyssey. Gonna be hard to find time to play this properly anytime soon.

Then again I doubt this DLC will take the 6 hours Hidden Dreams did because of stupid 10+ Zote.

Zaggitz posted:

per reddit, there's also apparently a new optional section to the white palace(which you can now revisit after beating) called the PATH OF PAIN. Don't know what the reward is if there even is one.

Oh noooooo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh lol

I can feel it... pulling me back in...

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nightmare King is hosed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

this update summarised:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The Path of Pain :getin:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Zaggitz posted:

Nightmare King is hosed.

Dude requires a lot of micro-dodges, but is bearable. Took me a while because my controller kept loving up during that fight.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nightmare King is deffos my new favourite fight in the game.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 27, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Got hit by a car and broke some bones in my arm/wrist, now I can't play Hollow Knight. :cry: Enjoy the DLC for me, friends.

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

GenericOverusedName posted:

The Path of Pain :getin:

Warning for those attempting this part: Remember the miniboss you fight the first time you enter the White Palace? There are two of them at the very end. Alone they're not so bad, but facing two reasonably durable enemies that inflict double damage is not fun if you're coming into the fight with half health and not expecting it. Assholes kicked me all the way back to the previous bench twice.

Jedah posted:

Got hit by a car and broke some bones in my arm/wrist, now I can't play Hollow Knight. :cry: Enjoy the DLC for me, friends.

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Get well soon. :(

Dancer
May 23, 2011

King Superman posted:

Warning for those attempting this part: Remember the miniboss you fight the first time you enter the White Palace? There are two of them at the very end. Alone they're not so bad, but facing two reasonably durable enemies that inflict double damage is not fun if you're coming into the fight with half health and not expecting it. Assholes kicked me all the way back to the previous bench twice.

Which "previous bench" :v: ?

That being said, here's a bullet point summary of how the new thing plays (don't think this needs spoiler tags, but just being safe):
- sheer platforming difficulty is about the same as WP proper, except...
- the distance between consecutive bits of solid land is much longer, so you actually need to achieve some degree of consistency.
- this is alleviated by the game giving you sources of infinite soul after what feels like every other obstacle, so you shouldn't worry about dying to attrition as you might have in WP basic

Experience-wise, I'd say it's actually similar to the original WP (except, if you've replayed the game a few times you'll be much more comfortable with the platforming than you were the first time you played). Took me about an hour, of which two thirds were on the single very long final chamber. I like that Team Cherry have now embraced designing around the down-swipe as just another platforming tool. There are several obstacles where it is required.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

King Superman posted:

Thank you. Feeling motivated to get better so I can play this wonderful game once again.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Is there a reward for path of pain? I'm probably gonna do that and Nightmare king once i'm done Mario.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zaggitz posted:

Is there a reward for path of pain? I'm probably gonna do that and Nightmare king once i'm done Mario.

From what I can tell, the reward is just lore, potentially something leading into the Hornet campaign they’re working on. It’s a fun challenge, though.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I hear there's two different endings to the Grimm Troupe stuff? Is it obvious when you have to make a choice between them?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fractalairduct posted:

I hear there's two different endings to the Grimm Troupe stuff? Is it obvious when you have to make a choice between them?

I didn't know there was two endings until after I completed it.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

fractalairduct posted:

There's an obvious branch, just one (Helping Brumm banish the troupe) ends really abruptly without a boss fight.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I Said No posted:

There's an obvious branch, just one (Helping Brumm banish the troupe) ends really abruptly without a boss fight.

See, I'm at a point where after collecting two sets of flames I go into a boss fight with Grimm. Since that's a boss I thought it might be the end of it, but I haven't found any obvious branches.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

fractalairduct posted:

See, I'm at a point where after collecting two sets of flames I go into a boss fight with Grimm. Since that's a boss I thought it might be the end of it, but I haven't found any obvious branches.

You get the branch option after you do that.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Cool, thanks guys!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just did the Path of Pain. That was some insane platforming in the best way.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Finally beat Nightmare King. The winning charm setup wasn't what I expected it'd be: Unbreakable Strength, Shape of Unn, Grubsong, Soul Catcher, Dreamshield. Shape of Unn is the secret MVP since it means every time he did the flaming pillar attack I could get a full heal off of it, and Grubsong + Soul Catcher ensured I had enough soul to outheal the double damage attacks. Dreamshield was mostly for the extra damage I'd get off of his dash attacks, since Sharp Shadow didn't seem to work. I also had to rebind left trigger to focus, so I could cancel a charged attack into a heal.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I just started playing and was exploring when I started running into trouble. I was trying to head to the area west of the map maker, but there were just a bunch of black screens, and when I could move I was here, fighting two orange bugs. I killed them and now I'm stuck. Did I mess up? I can't figure out any way to get out of here.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Gloomy Rube posted:

I just started playing and was exploring when I started running into trouble. I was trying to head to the area west of the map maker, but there were just a bunch of black screens, and when I could move I was here, fighting two orange bugs. I killed them and now I'm stuck. Did I mess up? I can't figure out any way to get out of here.

Game is still a little buggy :haw: in some spots, I had something similar happen to me in the miniboss fight in Queen's Gardens later in the game. Just reload and do it again, the gates should have unlocked after you killed the orange bugs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://i.gyazo.com/621eda583fd000e9f832081b0d0e2848.mp4

don't talk to me or my nine sons ever again

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
A good bug family :3

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

there's 1 more free dlc after this right?

if so, i'm probably gonna hang off playing until that's released.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

One more free content pack, then a paid DLC, then :iiam: as far as I know, but it sounds like the paid DLC at least is going to require a new playthrough since it'll have its own protagonist, so no need to wait for it... probably.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
August 2013: Hungry Knight! was made for some Game Jam. It is very cute and canonical IMO

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I just did the first Colosseum fight, the boss was great.

I have questions: I have the double jump, the shadow dash,, half of the broken charm, just as a reference for how far I am

so is my little guy just the latest in a series of clones from the king, trying to undo whatever he messed up the first time around? That big pile of busted bodies in the abyss and the infected clone boss that changed the crossroads seem like pretty solid indicators.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sort of.

You're not really a clone, more like a puppet. Creatures that have little free will and thought of their own, entirely devoted to their purpose. The Hollow Knights are suggested to have some incredibly subdued emotions and individuality but for the most part they are identical.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Molybdenum posted:

I just did the first Colosseum fight, the boss was great.

I have questions: I have the double jump, the shadow dash,, half of the broken charm, just as a reference for how far I am

so is my little guy just the latest in a series of clones from the king, trying to undo whatever he messed up the first time around? That big pile of busted bodies in the abyss and the infected clone boss that changed the crossroads seem like pretty solid indicators.

Not the latest, but one of the rejected attempts at creating a Vessel