Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I did not see this coming. It'll certainly make Spiel more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I hope this means I finally get my scourge space station kit soon...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Sojenus posted:

the white sphere was actually just a soccer ball with a speaker inside it

See thread title.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Bistromatic posted:

I did not see this coming. It'll certainly make Spiel more interesting.

I suppose my questions about organised play still stand. Also all the other questions everyone is asking, good luck.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So looking at the Destroyer model, it looks like it's going to have a burnthrough in the middle? Unless that's a sensor? I don't see any other weapons besides PD lasers.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Does not look like a UCM burn though, but that does not necessarily mean its not one. Could be a new weapon or the UCM destroyer could be a close action ship.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
There's some theorising on the Facebook post that it might be a spinal-mount mass driver, but it doesn't seem to have a barrel.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I'm thinking new weapon system. Really not sure what though!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I think it was rumored that destroyers are meant for hunting atmospheric targets. My wild speculation would be an Electrolaser or something similar. The thing in the centre is the laser that creates a conductive channel through the atmosphere and then those ribbed things at the end of the prongs discharge electricity along it. With the UCM i feel they wouldn't build it like that if the form wasn't at least related to the function.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Storm generator and Ucm is slowly turning into a red alert 2 faction

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
What do you mean "slowly turning into" ?

The C&C aesthetic is actually one of the game's big selling points. I'd love to see a UCM "laser" or "stealth" tank.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Bistromatic posted:

I think it was rumored that destroyers are meant for hunting atmospheric targets. My wild speculation would be an Electrolaser or something similar. The thing in the centre is the laser that creates a conductive channel through the atmosphere and then those ribbed things at the end of the prongs discharge electricity along it. With the UCM i feel they wouldn't build it like that if the form wasn't at least related to the function.

This sounds good to me, although it may be stepping on the corvette role a bit? The ability to reliably kill strike carriers would be a good one as it may reduce to focus on spamming ground assets to win.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

This sounds good to me, although it may be stepping on the corvette role a bit? The ability to reliably kill strike carriers would be a good one as it may reduce to focus on spamming ground assets to win.

What I'd really like to see is a ship without Atmospheric but with some sort of shoot-down rule, so it could attack atmospheric targets but be vulnerable itself to normal starship attack.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

What I'd really like to see is a ship without Atmospheric but with some sort of shoot-down rule, so it could attack atmospheric targets but be vulnerable itself to normal starship attack.

I think that is pretty much it. Also it occurs that these things might get used to knock out corvettes hunting your own strike carriers, or be targets for corvettes as they will probably be low enough on hull points that you don't want to waste big guns on them.

Basically I dunno how that would play out.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
No one from Hawk actual at Spiel it turns out. Everything is handled by VME, the german distributor. Good folks but not privy to internal details.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Could be wrong but I think that might have been the case in previous years? Not sure.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Previous years definitely had Hawk staff, including Dave. But it's a major shake-up right now obviously.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

If this buyout by TTCombat means my FLGS can reliably get stuff from US distributors, I will be ridiculously happy. It was so hard to get stuff when the game launched that it really left a bad impression on the FLGS owner.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Previous years definitely had Hawk staff, including Dave. But it's a major shake-up right now obviously.

The guy who runs the facebook groups for DFC/DZC managed to corner a high-ranking TT guy: highlights.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Painted some bases for my UCM Praetorians and Hazard suits

EDIT: Since nobody's bothered to post since i did, have the finished Hazard suit dudes

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 27, 2017

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
I got a company on alibaba to make a giant mousepad using the free maps Hawk distributed:

All up it was cheaper than getting something from Deep Cut etc, just because shipping to Australia is astronomical for things that are 4ft long...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
How do I get one?

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

dexefiend posted:

How do I get one?

I just searched for 'wargame mat' on alibaba. There are a couple companies who do them, then just ask for a sample and give them the hawk artwork. I ended up getting 4 different ones for a few friends so we cut down on shipping.

It was $62.50USD ea including shipping, but I imagine it would be more costly for one just because shipping is pricey for something so large.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Finally getting around to painting some more of my Resistance. Some day I'll actually get a playable force together!

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 5, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ugleb posted:

Finally getting around to painting some more of my Resistance. Some day I'll actually get a playable force together!

X-Men theme starts playing in the background.

Looking good though! Can't wait to be destroyed by them.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Now I'm tempted to paint Rogue on the side of a Lifthawk...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those canopies are lovely mate, how did you do that? Colours & technique. Looking back at my Condors they look very amateur in comparison to those!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Those canopies are lovely mate, how did you do that? Colours & technique. Looking back at my Condors they look very amateur in comparison to those!

Thanks, I was worried they'd get a bit lost (blue next to green) but I think it turned out OK.

I started with Army Painter Ultramarine blue for the base colour, then highlighted with vallejo game colour electric blue and blended them slightly.

I then darkened the opposite corners with a little bit of VGC Night Blue and again blended a little with the ultramarine blue.

I used vallejo glaze medium with a tiny bit of night blue to smooth the transition into the dark corners, same thing with the electric blue into the light corners. I just drag the glaze from the centre pulling it into the recesses because, you know, it's a glaze.

The glazing probably isn't all that necessary but I think it smoothes things out nicely.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So, news from Hawk.

[quote="HAWK UPDATE!

We wanted to release an update to keep everyone in the loop on whats happening and so, here it is!

We've had our feet under the table now for a couple of weeks and we are starting to see our relaunch getting nearer! New master resin moulds are being sorted to make a full range of production moulds. Dave is busying away doing what he does best and coming up with fantastic new models while making finishing touches to the 2.0 rules (which loads of our staff are jumping at the chance to playtest)!

We have good news! We're in the process of fulfilling all outstanding Hawk orders and will begin shipping them next week after we've set about casting the missing stock.

A lot of people have been messaging asking why we didn't take the show only models to Crisis with us (and make them available on the website over the weekend like we do with our other ranges). The answer is that we are putting Kickstarter rewards and existing orders at the front of our work queue and it didn't feel right to make extra sales rather than fulfilling existing ones!

So the other good news is that we want to give everyone another chance to get the event exclusive models. We have decided that over the weekend when we relaunch Hawk products for sale on the TTCombat webstore we will make the show models available as part of the relaunch party. They will be gone again on the Monday though! An exact date for this will follow soon. When we know, you'll know.

We are also working on the Talon programme and will be relaunching this in 2018. Talon points earned up to now will of course be honoured!

Regarding releases, there is some info on that too! The end of this month will see the Fleet Boxes released (at last!). We have a Commander for each faction in Dropzone, they will make an appearance in January. Then in 2018 we'll see Dropfleet Monitors, Destroyers and Dreadnoughts join the fray alongside the launch of DZ 2.0! A busy few months lie ahead! Attached is a SNIPpet (ha!) of one of the coming commanders. Whole reveal coming soon!

Over and out!"]

[/quote]

... And news about Hawk. Apparently all Hawk staff apart from Dave, Patrice the artist and their graphic designer have either been laid off or left the company in recent months. It seemed pretty inevitable that there would be casualties but it looks like if your job wasn't making more of the end product then TTcombat did not require your services.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Dang, losing their demo team is going to hit their image. Those guys were great.

There were the usual suspects muttering on Facebook about Dropfleet being a total flop and Hawk totally deserved it because they're still harbouring resentment over the kickstarter. Now I'm wondering if Hawk really were in financial trouble.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I'm still not convinced they were in financial trouble, unless the kickstarter logistics were a much bigger drain than they anticipated.

Anncedotally the kickstarter was a huge draw and I got the impression quite a lot of people picked up starter sets at retail. Hawk have had trouble keeping things in stock, which surely implies that they have been selling what they could produce. Stock levels in the wild are fairly low, so retailers aren't sitting on piles of unsold stock.

The problem then us that Hawk couldn't keep up with demand, people haven't been able to pick up stuff easily and have gotten frustrated or struggled to build communities if new players can't buy in. Then there is the people bitter about kickstarter fulfilment who aren't going to be positive about any of it.

Question remains, why have Hawk been struggling to get stock out there? It could be cash flow, or it could be mismanagement of staff/resources. I dunno.

There is always the possibility that Hawk operations were overly centered on Dave and he was struggling to keep all the plates spinning I guess. There is a lot of talk about Dave getting back to doing what he does best and focusing on design.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Question remains, why have Hawk been struggling to get stock out there? It could be cash flow, or it could be mismanagement of staff/resources. I dunno.

There is always the possibility that Hawk operations were overly centered on Dave and he was struggling to keep all the plates spinning I guess. There is a lot of talk about Dave getting back to doing what he does best and focusing on design.

Neither of those would be any big surprise, those are fairly typical small business failure modes. I would guess the latter is more likely, though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah, I just keep getting the feeling that Hawk's setup did OK for supporting one game but fell apart when they tried to diversify and had a sudden surge in demand.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm not sure how much I can talk about it but a part of it is the strain of business running. Lots of resources going in different places where they are needed but haven't been able to support. I think it was inevitable, sadly. Losing the core hawk public team sucks massively.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I always heard from rumblings at Invasions that the guys running the production/sales side of things were great guys, but not the best at their jobs - and now TT combat has people already in those roles, so I can understand firing everyone who is not directly making the new game. TT have their own way of doing things and their own factory.

As Ugleb said, they could cope with one system, but not two.

Not that it doesn't suck for the hawk staff. As I said, they were all great guys to talk to! And the Demo team did their job very well.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 8, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Having a team paid just to demo the game seems extravagant for a company the size of hawk.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They weren't just demo staff, but they were the public face of demos.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Rip talon program Btw. Dead game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

But I haven't even painted my spaceships yet :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Are Ttcombat killing it, or is it the lack of anyone left at Hawk who were involved in running it?

I guess they may be looking to launch a new program to encompass volunteers for all TT games at some point. Or the new management don't recognise the value of promoting games at grass roots level.