Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got a DHL shipping notice from some mystery person in the Netherlands.

I think my copy of Antiquity shipped :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

My lowest is Bottlecap Vikings at 13624, which I only have because it was a $2 addon to the Orleans Kickstarter. It's still in shrink wrap.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LLSix posted:

18xx has to be one of the least informative names ever. Goons have been talking about it for ages and I still don't have a clear idea of what they are. Economic simulator and maybe something to do with trains? I don't know and the name doesn't give me any hints. When I first heard about it I thought it was probably some sort of hex wargame.

18xx = making train companies and playing in the stock market.

1846 is fun and you should play it. These games are neat because they separate corporate success from personal wealth. A player can have the most successful and powerful company at the table, but it doesn't get him any closer to winning if he's not getting asymmetrically rich off of it.

If you've played FCM, imagine playing FCM in such a way that you can also invest into your opponents' companies and leech their profits.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ojetor posted:

My lowest is Bottlecap Vikings at 13624, which I only have because it was a $2 addon to the Orleans Kickstarter. It's still in shrink wrap.

:same: I opened mine and it used to be a filler game, once or twice, until we found love letter and Chudyk filler games. Can’t even get rid of it. I keep forgetting I even have it. I should use the longboat meeples for something.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

CommonShore posted:

18xx = making train companies and playing in the stock market.

1846 is fun and you should play it. These games are neat because they separate corporate success from personal wealth. A player can have the most successful and powerful company at the table, but it doesn't get him any closer to winning if he's not getting asymmetrically rich off of it.

If you've played FCM, imagine playing FCM in such a way that you can also invest into your opponents' companies and leech their profits.

Very few games capture the intricacies of a capitalist economy and it was pretty exciting to discover 1830 when I did. Separating the company's money from your own personal money was cool, as was the fact that the most money wins. Not the most revenue, not the longest rails, not the busiest trains, not the best service or smoothest run company. The most CASH in your personal POCKET and nothing else.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The reason it's called 18xx is because many (most? all?) of the 18xx games are abstractly modeling the stock shenanigans of the 1800s.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The lowest ranked game I own is Monopoly at 14,390, because my babysitter gave me his copy when I was like 8 and he was a really cool guy so I keep it around for sentimental reasons.

Lowest ranked stuff that I like is more debatable. The Warriors of Batak (rating 11250) is an old microgame which is unfortunately broken due to some powerful air units but it has some really novel mechanisms for an old sci-fi hex and counter game and could probably be fixed into a fun game rather easily. Lowest game I actually love is 1860, which I rate 9, which is 1226.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trivial Pursuit being all the way down at 14.323 seems crazy to me. I feel like quality aside, there's a pretty big snobbery thing where people look down on games normies might play. That's true in a lot of hobby communities of course, with video games maybe being the biggest exception I can think of (though it can creep in with "git gud" attitudes there too).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Trivial Pursuit being all the way down at 14.323 seems crazy to me. I feel like quality aside, there's a pretty big snobbery thing where people look down on games normies might play. That's true in a lot of hobby communities of course, with video games maybe being the biggest exception I can think of (though it can creep in with "git gud" attitudes there too).

Yeah, the idea that there are, like, 200 tactical-level WW2 hex-and-counter war games better than Trivial Pursuit is a weird feature of their system.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Trivial Pursuit is terrible, though. Roll and move is a bad way to decide which categories you are allowed to attempt. You could replace that with any kind of reasonably interesting distribution method and you'd have a perfectly acceptable trivia game.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cenotaph posted:

Trivial Pursuit is terrible, though. Roll and move is a bad way to decide which categories you are allowed to attempt. You could replace that with any kind of reasonably interesting distribution method and you'd have a perfectly acceptable trivia game.

I think it's a fun game, but I agree that the rules are kind of a mess. Also to be fair, I guess the other thing about these old non-hobby games is that they're the ones hobbyists are most likely to be forced to play by their non gaming friends, while it's easier to skip bad hobbyist board games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Huxley posted:

Yeah, the idea that there are, like, 200 tactical-level WW2 hex-and-counter war games better than Trivial Pursuit is a weird feature of their system.

Not better so much as well liked.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

Not better so much as well liked.

I can easily believe they’re better than trivial pursuit. Campaign for North Africa is better than trivial pursuit.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I think it's a fun game, but I agree that the rules are kind of a mess. Also to be fair, I guess the other thing about these old non-hobby games is that they're the ones hobbyists are most likely to be forced to play by their non gaming friends, while it's easier to skip bad hobbyist board games.

I mean, the rules are the game, right? So if you're not having fun when you just need one color left and you roll and roll and roll and just can't land on that color that's the game giving you a bad experience. Trivia can be lots of fun. I was on trivia teams in school, but man, Trivial Pursuit is just dragged down by the actual board part.

The last time I played it was the 20th century edition which seemed to be mostly pop culture nonsense I didn't know anything about and we had like six players at a New Year's party with no teams. It was painfully obvious that the girl who watched the most VH1 was going to win about halfway through and we had to go through the motions of rolling and moving and sit through interminable downtime to get to the inevitable result. It was one of the worst gaming experiences I ever had.

You could easily change it so that you could win cards for answering questions and then exchange x number of cards for an opportunity to try a category you haven't landed on but even if you answer it correctly your turn ends and you would immediately have a better game than the published version.

Also there are definitely 200 hex and counter games I would play before sitting down to play rules-as-written Trivial Pursuit again.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I think that Bezzerwhizzer is a really good take on the Trivia Game genre.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

I think that Bezzerwhizzer is a really good take on the Trivia Game genre.

Is the New England name Bettapissa?

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
I don't believe there are 14,000 board games better than trivial pursuit. The rolling is never really an issue until the last pie or the final win. And while I agree you can get a lot of dumb pop culture stuff if you only play with one edition, it is called trivial.

Henker
May 5, 2009

The problem with trivia games in general is that they age like milk. Facts that are true one year might not be true the next. Plus they're going to favor the person who grew up in the era that edition came out. It's not fun going to grandma's house and playing the 1976 printing of Trivial Pursuit. I'd rather go to a bar trivia night.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

The rolling is never really an issue until the last pie or the final win.

The rule that says you move again with a correct answer shows how disastrously wrong you are. One player can have reallllllly long turns if they have two or three strong subjects.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I don't believe there are 14,000 board games better than trivial pursuit. The rolling is never really an issue until the last pie or the final win. And while I agree you can get a lot of dumb pop culture stuff if you only play with one edition, it is called trivial.

If anything it's rated too high.

On that page, ranked lower, I'd rather play Mindtrap, Labyrinth, Crazy 8s, Chinese Checkers, Solitaire (my grandpa had a sweet wood board w/ marbles for that one), Blackjack, Checkers, Pick up Sticks, ....

actually basically everything except for War, Snakes and Ladders, and Candyland.

Also holy poo poo have I played a lot of games on that page.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is there any reason to think the diy methods to organize the 1st printing of gloom haven won't work on the 2nd edition?

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
What are the threads thoughts on these games that I'm interested in:

Last Will (seems really fun, I really love the theme)
Alchemists (I always liked logic games as a kid, theme is whatever to me)
Tzolk'in (Theme seems cool, game seems to have some durability to still be so high on the BGG list despite all the newer more hyped things)
Millenium Blades (Friend wants to try it, theme sounds kinda fun in a dumb as gently caress way)

Also, since I'm very new to the hobby, I've never played any of the classic Euros (besides, I guess, Castles of Burgundy) and don't know which are the good ones to start with. Puerto Rico seems obvious because it's on the less pricey end, but I'm hoping it'll go on sale and be even cheaper at some point.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I picked up Last Will recently and have been enjoying it; it's a mid-weight game that's easy enough to pick up, the theme is great, and there's a reasonable amount of strategy to it. It's definitely not Extremely Tight Polished Game but a solid title to have in a collection.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sinteres posted:

Trivial Pursuit is a poo poo game. It's okay if you like it, but it's a poo poo game.

Something like Wits and Wagers has a similar light party/trivia theme with rules that aren't poo poo.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Tzolk'in (Theme seems cool, game seems to have some durability to still be so high on the BGG list despite all the newer more hyped things)
Millenium Blades (Friend wants to try it, theme sounds kinda fun in a dumb as gently caress way)

Also, since I'm very new to the hobby, I've never played any of the classic Euros (besides, I guess, Castles of Burgundy) and don't know which are the good ones to start with. Puerto Rico seems obvious because it's on the less pricey end, but I'm hoping it'll go on sale and be even cheaper at some point.

Everything in your list is decent. I would say Last Will and Tzolk'in are fine but unremarkable, Alchemists has a somewhat mixed reception, and Millenium Blades is good but a big bloated table hog of a game that might be too much for people starting in the hobby.

Keep in mind none of them are BAD - most of us here are jaded having played tons of Euro variations, so not trying to dissuade you from trying any of them.

Honestly, play what you can without buying, find what you like, then you can start figuring out what's worth putting in your collection.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Trivia is best done at a pub.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Last Will is fun but it's not something I'm actively looking to play.
Alchemists is good, but very unforgiving, so tread carefully.
Tzolk'in with its expansion is one of my favorite games.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So apparently, I have only played 6 of the top 100 games haha

Twilight Struggle
Castles of Burgundy
Codenames
Pandemic
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Star Realms

Conversely, the lowest ranked game I have is Kabuki at 9007

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Crackbone posted:

Millenium Blades is good but a big bloated table hog of a game that might be too much for people starting in the hobby.

I've come to realize that people will play whatever they want to play. I don't think I could pitch Millenium Blades to just a random group of newbie-ish people, but if my newbie-ish friend approached me and said "that game looks sick, I want to learn it", then they will. A lot of us in this thread got started with bloated piles (I know my first non-Catan/Bang game was that giant 3v3 World of Warcraft Board Game) because we saw them and decided to knuckle down and figure it out.

Also I liked Alchemists a lot more than I thought I would based on impressions I half-remembered from this thread. It helped that the entire group was PhD students who got to laugh at the jabs at academia, but even mechanically I remember liking it well enough.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CaptainRightful posted:

What's the lowest BGG ranked game that you own and/or love?

Own? Falling at 12499 (though I technically own the unranked Revised edition, but close enough). Love? Get Lucky at 4206.

Just a warning for you kids out there: Don't start at Tic-Tac-Toe and go up. It's not worth it. Though it does convince you that the algorithm works to a certain extent, because the bottom is all unbelievable trash.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
How is alchemists for replay value? I played it once and liked it well enough, but it seems like it would go about the same way every time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

misguided rage posted:

How is alchemists for replay value? I played it once and liked it well enough, but it seems like it would go about the same way every time.

There's enough random elements in the items and adventurers that keeps the core game of deduction interesting. It's kind of like Dungeon Lord's in that the same monsters and adventurers will appear each year but their order and player decisions do enough to change it so that no two games are the same.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Trivia is best done at a pub situated where three roads meet.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Lorini posted:

How many of the current BGG top 100 games have you played? 74 here.

48-50, I lost count a bit when coming across games I had played but not yet rated (when I first started using BGG, I only rated games I owned).
Highest ratings are a bunch of 9s: Power Grid, Dominion (assuming preferred expansions included), Codenames, and Mage Knight.
Lowest ratings Star Realms (4.5) and Cosmic Encounter (4) which I just rated now, might be off.

CaptainRightful posted:

What's the lowest BGG ranked game that you own and/or love?

Owned: Monopoly, #14390 (not counting unranked PnPs Muses and Final Attack!)
Love: public domain card game Barbu, #5898, as played in my university group. Next up #5601 Toe-to-Toe Nu'klr Combat with the Rooskies (just for the name) and #5482 Austerity, another PnP (winner of 2015 BGG Solitaire PnP contest)

Nice polls.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 29, 2017

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

My first real board game was Arkham Horror. Nothing could phase me after that.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

Own? Falling at 12499 (though I technically own the unranked Revised edition, but close enough). Love? Get Lucky at 4206.

I own an unranked version of Falling, too, but I didn't include it because BGG has something like 4 or 5 versions of Falling ranked. Also, I've come to think Falling is not very good, after seeing multiple groups be confounded by the rules. The first priority of any party game needs to be "Will people quickly understand how this works?"

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

al-azad posted:

There's enough random elements in the items and adventurers that keeps the core game of deduction interesting. It's kind of like Dungeon Lord's in that the same monsters and adventurers will appear each year but their order and player decisions do enough to change it so that no two games are the same.

I'd agree with this. Alchemists is perhaps my single favorite game of all time, and I think there's a solid amount of replayability in it. Just the variance in the deduction and access to the cards to solve the big puzzle would almost be enough (for people who enjoy that process anyway), but add in the variability of the few different Artifact cards each game, the availability of the Adventurers, as well as the Favor cards and Ingredient deck, and you've got a very different experience every time you play. I once had a line on playing without doing ANY ingredient testing of my own, and basing my published theories, regardless of right or wrong, on the limited information my opponents share whenever THEY test ingredients. This was made possible by getting early access to an Artifact which made publishing theories free (which always nets you 1 point), and another which gave me +1 point whenever I earned points. So by the time players were able to publish theories (round 2), I was ready to just use all my action cubes on publishing to get a mess of early points, as long as I could get a couple dollars from the adventurer first (short version: I didn't, and the whole strategy crashed and burned wonderfully). Seriously great game, highly recommended.

In unrelated news, I finished Pandemic Legacy Season 1 tonight, jamming out 5 back-to-back games with my group after starting back in June, so that we can have it out of the way to make room for Season 2 (which I picked up today). Not much to say that hasn't been said, but: yeah, game is great. And I rarely even enjoy co-ops at all.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So Spiel was a blast as always.

Got:

FoA expansion
Marco Polo Expansion
newest Tash Kalar deck
Codenames Duet
Sushi Go Party, which has a box the size of a FFG game :-( it has a huge inlay and I will think about another storage solution
newest The Colonists scenario
Nusfjord
Keyper (can't wait to try that one. It looks amazing and I really hope it Plays well)
New aFfO Islands
Indian Summer

I also got to play a round of Gloomhaven and even if it was just a room full of monsters and a group of random players it was the most fun I ever had with a dungeon crawler. I really need to get that one when it hits retail

Also had a demo of Founders of Gloomhaven which I already backed. The new artwork for the advisors Looks really good as well as the player boards.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 27, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011
For a different view on Alchemists, while I do agree that it's mechanically solid, it bugs me slightly that in most games most people will be able to publish everything and not make any significant mistakes. With the result that the winners is determined by who got the better artifacts. I haven't gotten it yet, but I think the expansion will help a lot of with this aspect, by adding a new thing people can research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I've played a few games now, my group likes it a lot. It's big and takes a while to play, but if you enjoy playing CCGs it does a great job of replicating the feel of that.