Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Who has always been notably left wing, no? Hell, look at the latest season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Revival era is, socially at least.

It's always been against facism, and the reoccurring trait of the Doctor is a slightly anarchic spirit that he works against the establishment for the better - if that is a corrupt government or business is irrelevant. The McCoy era is certainly left - one of the antagonists is space Thatcher and the Tories.

Examaining the politics of the show is a tad more nebulous, than say, looking at how race, or sex, or sexuality is presented; it's much easier to give those a direct answer, because the show explicitly addresses them. They, of course, do tie-in to politics, but we watch it with our own mental filters.

Would be interesting to go through the classic era examaining that...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Funnily enough, I'm watching 'The Green Death' right now, and it's flat-out pro-environment in a way that seems simultaneously very modern and behind the times, because a lot of the stuff the professor is talking about has actually happened (he's basically growing Quorn, and renewables have reached the point of cost-matching with polluting energy sources), but it's now clear that it still needs to keep happening more and faster.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Pertwee era also touched on Buddhism to a limited extent, though that was probably more of a reflection of growing fascination in Western culture at the time.

I've always preferred to think of the Doctor as more Anti-Authoritarian/Anti-Establishment than anything else - the kind of guy who takes great glee in knocking people off their pedestals or forcing people to ask questions or refuse to accept the status quo. Part of that comes from him being an outsider too, even taking away the fact he's an alien, that he's a time traveler in the first place means he doesn't belong to any one particular time/place/culture/set of values so he's always going to question the accepted way of doing things when he encounters it, even if from sheer plain curiosity.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that they did the Frost Fair this year, neat little things like that are really fun to check out.

It's a shame the BBC budget probably wouldn't ever stretch to doing The Great Exhibition, which they've referenced before on the show and done at least one Big Finish story in.

You know what, any Worlds' Fair would probably be a good setting for a Who episode. It's exactly the sort of event the Doctor would love enough to go to, they usually had some really impressive imagery, and is a perfect setting for 'here's some humans trying to pass off alien tech as their own, this is awfully suspicious'.

One that came to mind as, if not a setting, at least a starting point to base a fuller story off of, is D.B. Cooper. That story already sounds like a scene from a very complicated story, divorced from any context.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 24, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cleretic posted:

You know what, any Worlds' Fair would probably be a good setting for a Who episode. It's exactly the sort of event the Doctor would love enough to go to, they usually had some really impressive imagery, and is a perfect setting for 'here's some humans trying to pass off alien tech as their own, this is awfully suspicious'.

One that came to mind as, if not a setting, at least a starting point to base a fuller story off of, is D.B. Cooper. That story already sounds like a scene from a very complicated story, divorced from any context.

The master visits the world fair in Chicago and his tardis is a hotel!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

The Pertwee era also touched on Buddhism to a limited extent, though that was probably more of a reflection of growing fascination in Western culture at the time.

I've always preferred to think of the Doctor as more Anti-Authoritarian/Anti-Establishment than anything else - the kind of guy who takes great glee in knocking people off their pedestals or forcing people to ask questions or refuse to accept the status quo. Part of that comes from him being an outsider too, even taking away the fact he's an alien, that he's a time traveler in the first place means he doesn't belong to any one particular time/place/culture/set of values so he's always going to question the accepted way of doing things when he encounters it, even if from sheer plain curiosity.

The Doctor is just Time’s method of asking “Why?”

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

The Doctor is just Time’s method of asking “Why?”

Time's Four Year Old.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Payndz posted:

Funnily enough, I'm watching 'The Green Death' right now, and it's flat-out pro-environment in a way that seems simultaneously very modern and behind the times, because a lot of the stuff the professor is talking about has actually happened (he's basically growing Quorn, and renewables have reached the point of cost-matching with polluting energy sources), but it's now clear that it still needs to keep happening more and faster.

Spoilers for you, not anyone else:

Green Death was the first old who I watched, and I honestly didn't see "BOSS is an evil, sentient computer" coming. Like I expected whoever programmed the damned thing to step out from behind a curtain, because to my modern​ mind computers just don't work like that, even in sci fi.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Murderion posted:

Spoilers for you, not anyone else:

Green Death was the first old who I watched, and I honestly didn't see "BOSS is an evil, sentient computer" coming. Like I expected whoever programmed the damned thing to step out from behind a curtain, because to my modern​ mind computers just don't work like that, even in sci fi.

For me the thing that stands out the most is the little section where BOSS is just kinda humming/happily singing a merry little tune to itself as it goes about its scheming. It added a wonderfully little "human" touch to it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm cynical, but I'm not that cynical. Chibnall is just used to working on shows that have some solid leads as the central protagonists and then a huge, supporting cast to round things out. It opens up the opportunities for things like B-plots or having character arcs come together at the end in a satisfying way. It's going to be hard to pull off in new Who, let alone in 10 episodes, but I'm happy he's trying it.

It really lives or dies on whether Chibnall kind find the voice for Doctor Who. He hasn't had the greatest track record, even before you consider Torchwood, and his good, successful writing focuses on how people hide the darker parts of themselves and how horrible it feels for everyone, even when it is necessary, that those darker parts are exposed. Doctor Who isn't the greatest avenue for Pyrrhic victories (yes, yes, there are exceptions). When you apply that sort of formula to open-ended "monster of the week" science fiction, you either get Black Mirror or Joseph Lidster, and that's a hell of a gamble.

Twelve took a while to find his feet, but by the end, Capaldi had put in a hell of a run. I wouldn't expect the first season to be a huge breakthrough.

(But, man, I hope I'm wrong :) )

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Thirteen will probably be fine within an episode or so, it's the stories around her that will probably be shaky as Chibnall et al figure out how best to play to Jodie's strengths (as well as Walsh and the other companions)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

There is of course an alternative reading of this tendency, which is that he often ends up as an avatar of the Empire, showing up with a flag to teach the barbarous backward natives of wherever he happens to be some Proper Civilised Values, and get some decent railways built.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Doctor WhoYvonne Hartman is required.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Trin Tragula posted:

There is of course an alternative reading of this tendency, which is that he often ends up as an avatar of the Empire, showing up with a flag to teach the barbarous backward natives of wherever he happens to be some Proper Civilised Values, and get some decent railways built.

Nothing wrong with a good railway

And now I have the inexplicable image of a team of Thals riding K9 units robbing a Kaled train housing Dalek chassis during the Thousand-Year War

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

The cliffhanger of Aliens Among Us Part 2 which introduces Yvonne Hartman as returning to try to challenge Jack for control of the new Torchwood was legitimately a surprise. I don't really keep up on Torchwood news/rumors. I enjoyed her earlier audio work in the series, so am hoping this will be good.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Having just finished The Face of Evil I would like to thank Tom Baker for a face that will haunt my nightmares for the next few days...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Having just finished The Face of Evil I would like to thank Tom Baker for a face that will haunt my nightmares for the next few days...

Are you back on the run-through Cobi? Is "The Robots of DEATH" next? Are you going to throw hands at us?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

If I remember correctly, the kid they used for the "WHO AM I!?!" bit (which rules) didn't actually know what was going on, they recorded him saying it was for just a fun thing to do?

Also I absolutely love when the guy tries to follow the Doctor and Leela out of the tent and Leela kills him. If I'm remembering it right, the Doctor pops back, looks at the corpse and cheerfully tells Leela that this was very well done. She's very pleased with herself about it, and then in that same chipper voice suddenly turning blank he grunts,"Do anything like that again and I'll leave you behind forever" and storms off.

Man I wanna rewatch The Face of Evil now.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember correctly, the kid they used for the "WHO AM I!?!" bit (which rules) didn't actually know what was going on, they recorded him saying it was for just a fun thing to do?

Also I absolutely love when the guy tries to follow the Doctor and Leela out of the tent and Leela kills him. If I'm remembering it right, the Doctor pops back, looks at the corpse and cheerfully tells Leela that this was very well done. She's very pleased with herself about it, and then in that same chipper voice suddenly turning blank he grunts,"Do anything like that again and I'll leave you behind forever" and storms off.

Man I wanna rewatch The Face of Evil now.

The behind the scenes portion said that the little kid realized what was happening when he found himself standing next to Tom Baker and Louise Jameson in the recording booth. To this day he still can't remember which had more of an effect of him.

I definitely enjoyed this story, though once again the "classic" special effects take some getting used to. But the actors all throw themselves into the script without fear and it's nice to have a "the Doctor going back he'd helped before" story without being hit over the head with it like the revival would be likely to do.

And yes, next up is indeed The Robots of Death. I'm shooting for a serial a week, no more than one episode a day.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CobiWann posted:

When Tom Baker smiles it's hard to tell whether it's genuine or he's three seconds away from tearing your civilization apart at the seams

I suspect it depends on his blood-alcohol level

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Face of Evil has a lot going on for it, and I'll even go so far as to say that it holds its own against Robots of Death. The difficulties between Tom and Louise feel weirdly more elevated in Robots, if only because of the fact that at that point, they're already supposed to be traveling together. It has one of the most Tom Baker era moments ever when the Doctor:

1) Talks to himself about how the TARDIS is broken, in very obvious nonsense terms that are, to an audience wrong.
2) Says that he must remember to repair this fictitious malady, and that he should tie a knot in his handkerchief so he can remember.
3) Pulls a handkerchief out of one of his pockets in his coat which is overladen with pocket space, only to find that it already has a knot in it.
4) Turns to look directly at the camera and says "I wonder what that was for!" with an expression of worry that is very obviously performative.

The whole thing is very "Hello! I'm the Doctor, or am I Tom Baker? :haw: It doesn't really matter. I only thought you'd like to see this quarry. It's another planet, or possibly just a few miles from your house, but in either case, it's very interesting. Isn't it interesting? Would you like a jellybaby?"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

When Tom Baker smiles it's hard to tell whether it's genuine or he's three seconds away from tearing your civilization apart at the seams

this is a false choice imo

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vinylshadow posted:

I suspect it depends on his blood-alcohol level

He has blood in his alcohol?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The best bit in Face of Evil is the Doctor casually flinging that flesh eating creature at the guard who had just struck Leela.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

He has blood in his alcohol?

He has whatever gets caught in his scarf or hair to add flavor to it

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Oh look what time it is:

Out now. :woop:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

adhuin posted:

Oh look what time it is:

In an interesting choice, they use the War Doctor iteration of the main theme. Which I guess makes it the Time War iteration of the theme.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

adhuin posted:

Oh look what time it is:

gently caress gently caress gently caress, I gotta get caught up. Hoping to start pumping through Big Finish stuff again in the next couple of weeks.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

adhuin posted:

Oh look what time it is:

Is this a direct sequel to Doom Coalition?

Not that I care - I'm in the same boat as Jerusalem. I've got all the recent Torchwood releases in my queue, The Lives in Captain Jack, Classic Doctors/New Monsters, The Time War, not to mention the monthly ranges, Fourth Doctor Adventures, the Companion Chronicles, Gallifrey, my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it, and The Ambassadors of Death; I'm swamped!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

Doesn't seem to be, though I'm only in the first story. Like, it's clearly post-DC, but 8 has a new companion

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

swamped!

No. DC ended with a cliffhanger to be resolved later

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah. It seems to be a separate from previous stories, which is good.

Vortex magazine mentioned that 8th is getting 3 boxed sets next year. 1 Time war and 2 for the series following the Doom Coalition.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And Vol. 3 of The Diary of River Song comes out in January!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

adhuin posted:

Oh look what time it is:

This is cute - Big Finish made their own little Time War intro :3:

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress, I gotta get caught up. Hoping to start pumping through Big Finish stuff again in the next couple of weeks.

CobiWann posted:

Not that I care - I'm in the same boat as Jerusalem. I've got all the recent Torchwood releases in my queue, The Lives in Captain Jack, Classic Doctors/New Monsters, The Time War, not to mention the monthly ranges, Fourth Doctor Adventures, the Companion Chronicles, Gallifrey, my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it, and The Ambassadors of Death; I'm swamped!

I follow the monthly range, 4DA, and 8 boxsets - I've got to listen to the Captain Scarlet stuff they've released and the other Prisoner boxset - and I've started tapping into Jago and Litefoot, and Torchwood and Blakes 7 has got me interested with several plot sysnopsis - and there's the companion chronicles, the Early Doctor boxsets, the new First Doctor, Tenth Doctor, UNIT, Galiffrey, The War Master - there's too much stuff! :negative:

And by too much I mean please never stop making things Big Finish - and get Capaldi - I hear he's texting Nic Briggs every day and built his own recording booth in his shed (painted outside like a phone box - of course)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 26, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think Capaldi is going to take a long time away before he considers Big Finish, based on things he's said in interviews.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

I think Capaldi is going to take a long time away before he considers Big Finish, based on things he's said in interviews.

:smith:

That's a shame - I really love Capaldi (also looking forward to seeing what Whittaker does in the role) - but it's understandable that he would want to keep away for a while.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I like this fan War Doctor one using the same theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBSXn3P95_8

Crusader fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 26, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

:smith:

That's a shame - I really love Capaldi (also looking forward to seeing what Whittaker does in the role) - but it's understandable that he would want to keep away for a while.

And BF said their license only goes up to the end of the Eleventh, so they would have to renegotiate their license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Eleventh Doctor stories on audio just wont be the same...Matt Smith did so much of his acting with his body

• Locked thread