Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

A medium number of chaff troops, whenever I try to thug :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Finnish Flasher posted:

In general, what are good counters for combat-pretenders or sc's? Or thugs to a lesser extent

The trick is to look at them and see what defence they are lacking, usually there aren't enough equipment slots to protect against everything.

low magic resist --> mind hunt,soul slay,petrify,charm,hellbind heart
low elemental resists --> thunderstrike, incinerate, frozen heart,
low hp --> high damage spells, like gifts from the heavens, banefire,
low reinvigoration --> heat from hell, quagmire, rigor mortis, drain life, stellar cascades
low morale -> fear spells / units, and cut off retreat path with stealth units or ritual summons.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Has there been an updated ETA for 5 beyond "November-ish" yet?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

orangelex44 posted:

Has there been an updated ETA for 5 beyond "November-ish" yet?
Nope

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Alright. Thanks!

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I nominate jBrereton to be the guy who has to make the new Dominions 5 thread, and then keep the original post updated for one thousand years.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Mu. posted:

I nominate jBrereton to be the guy who has to make the new Dominions 5 thread, and then keep the original post updated for one thousand years.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
High level Dominions 5 play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iCfwUkmIL0

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

i cast out these wretched stones

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I cast out these wretched stones

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

I cast out these wretched stones

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So there's a pretty significant new Dom5 feature we've heard about: baked roads. Instead of being a fort structure, roads are a terrain feature. This is extremely relevant to map generation and I am planning to update Cartographic Revision for Dom5. That begs the question of how roads should be placed; I'm honestly not sure yet, especially with how much Dom5 is changing the mobility game. The fluffiest way to do it would be to link towns together, but it could also be done to mitigate horrible starting terrain for nations that start in it.

Suggestions?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Corbeau posted:

So there's a pretty significant new Dom5 feature we've heard about : baked roads. Instead of being a fort building, roads are a terrain feature. This is extremely relevant to map generation, and begs the question of how they should be placed. I'm honestly not sure. The fluffiest way to do it would be to link towns together, but it could also be done to mitigate horrible starting terrain for nations that start in it.

Please place roads so that I can walk my fear/blood surge blessed white centaurs to EA Ermor's cap in a single turn after I have eliminated them thanks.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Please place roads so that I can walk my fear/blood surge blessed white centaurs to EA Ermor's cap in a single turn after I have eliminated them thanks.

No. There's a reason we cut down on forests after watching Pan walk through like 3 players without having to step out of the woods. If roads connect caps at all, it'll have to be pretty meandering.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Corbeau posted:

No. There's a reason we cut down on forests after watching Pan walk through like 3 players without having to step out of the woods. If roads connect caps at all, it'll have to be pretty meandering.

Are you going to add a neato winter layer

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Are you going to add a neato winter layer

It's unclear how that works at the moment.

e: It's basically necessary since winter changes movement rules, and the data structures exist in my program to do it, but the implementation in Dom5 isn't yet clear. This and roads are the two biggest labor sinks of an update.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 26, 2017

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Corbeau posted:

So there's a pretty significant new Dom5 feature we've heard about : baked roads. Instead of being a fort structure, roads are a terrain feature. This is extremely relevant to map generation and I am planning to update Cartographic Revision for Dom5. That begs the question of how roads should be placed; I'm honestly not sure yet, especially with how much Dom5 is changing the mobility game. The fluffiest way to do it would be to link towns together, but it could also be done to mitigate horrible starting terrain for nations that start in it.

Suggestions?

Connecting inland cities with coastal cities?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Corbeau posted:

So there's a pretty significant new Dom5 feature we've heard about : baked roads. Instead of being a fort structure, roads are a terrain feature. This is extremely relevant to map generation and I am planning to update Cartographic Revision for Dom5. That begs the question of how roads should be placed; I'm honestly not sure yet, especially with how much Dom5 is changing the mobility game. The fluffiest way to do it would be to link towns together, but it could also be done to mitigate horrible starting terrain for nations that start in it.

Suggestions?

do roadgen after provinces get populated, and have them link the highest-pop provinces together

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Chuck them about randomly is my suggestion. Anything else has the potential to exacerbate existing balance problems.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 26, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Put them in chunks of 3-5 connected provinces. They'll be a nice help to players that get them, but will still require them build roads themselves if they want an actual network.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

you can not build roads yourself in dominions five

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Eh, same point though. Small networks interspersed fairly evenly around the map. It helps make mini strong points but didn't upset balance badly

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Corbeau posted:

It's unclear how that works at the moment.

e: It's basically necessary since winter changes movement rules, and the data structures exist in my program to do it, but the implementation in Dom5 isn't yet clear. This and roads are the two biggest labor sinks of an update.
You make another image file with the same dimensions, add #winterimagefile X.tga, and it changes the provinces to their winter appearance wherever cold is found, in the area around them defined for overlays (this is generated automatically but can be fine tuned by hand)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Chuck them about randomly is my suggestion. Anything else has the potential to exacerbate existing balance problems.

Roughly straightish roads just going around randomly should be fine.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Call them (ancient) Ermorian roads. Insist that the lore demands their presence.

They should be ruler straight.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Could you make the road layout some kind of configurable option? Like maybe "connects major cities" would be one, "ancient highways" might be another (big straight lines not necessarily connecting anything important but useful to cross the map quickly), that sort of thing. That way whoever is generating the map could just pick whichever style they want for the game they're planning on running.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

goatface posted:

Call them (ancient) Ermorian roads. Insist that the lore demands their presence.

They should be ruler straight.

longdead road layer right on top of the skeleton layer

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Just pave the world.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Barono posted:

Just pave the world.

hex grid solid roads no trees mountains or other terrain

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

not having any trees ever sounds good to me. gently caress pans

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Just having random provinces with roads that don't necessarily connect to other roads would work, correct? There don't need to be roads in both?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I suspect the amount of roads should probably increase with era. That could be a piece of road code, or it could just be emergent if roads are linked to towns because towns already increase with era.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Google fails me here, what are those ruby posts referencing to?

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

Asehujiko posted:

Google fails me here, what are those ruby posts referencing to?
There was a bot in our Dominions IRC channel that would use Markov chains to produce sentences inspired by the things people had said in the channel. Once, long ago, it said,

quote:

<AcousticKitty> .tell Smerdyakov get ye port number from tenjou, he put a ruby in your cap, potentially eliminating you instantly

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Corbeau posted:

I suspect the amount of roads should probably increase with era. That could be a piece of road code, or it could just be emergent if roads are linked to towns because towns already increase with era.

Roads connecting farms and stuff actually makes sense

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Make dom5 like coe4 where there are 8 different eras representing different levels of development and none of them are fun

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Make dom5 like coe4 where there are 8 different eras representing different levels of development and none of them are fun

Also disable passwords

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm working on a procjam project and my first thought when confronted with an unexpected map gen problem was "a bitmask can probably solve this." Please send help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frod99
Feb 16, 2011

Hi, does Dominions 5 make any of the unfun parts of Dominions less unfun, or did it instead only make the fun parts more fun?

• Locked thread