Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Looks like relatively high turnovers and low assists killing him

Idk

Yeah, the turnovers are hurting him, but that'll improve. He looks pretty good for a rookie offensively, especially for being thrust into the starting lineup and playing against first units. The DBPM is a nice surprise. I'm so happy basketball is back, guys

Ahh give him a break. He just started using claw grip last week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The Clippers have a MOV of +25.3.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AggressivelyStupid posted:

OPA is derived by adjusting offensive box plus/minus (OBPM) to account for the number of possessions the player in question is present for. Similarly, DPS is derived from a similar adjustment of defensive box plus/minus (DBPM) with that same number of possessions. OBPM and DBPM, both calculated by Basketball-Reference.com, estimate the per-100-possessions value of a player on either end of the court.

I know what plus/minus is. What does the box represent? Box score? How is it any different from normal plus/minus?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

NBA champion trailblazers incoming

Still coasting off that Suns win.

Seriously though, Blazers have looked good. Should be a playoff team, barring catastrophe.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Suns pre coach change when they were not the best team in the league too

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
nice.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Charlz Guybon posted:

I know what plus/minus is. What does the box represent? Box score? How is it any different from normal plus/minus?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm.html
It uses box score rather than play by play data, it's made to be a cruder version of your rpms and apms and other smarter versions of plus minus, to be applied to historical players and ease comparison with contemporary fellows

BPM is not an especially good stat and is full of strange artifacts

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
How crazy would it be if Doncic and Porzingis pan out and with Giannis we end up with the 3 best players not being American.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dejan Bimble posted:

Now that the stepback and nylon calculus are dead websites, does anyone have some favorite NBA analysis people/places?

Ben Falk's website https://cleaningtheglass.com/ is very good and gets the official dokmo stamp of approval. It's worth paying for the articles.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The offensive box score plus minus is ok .

Lol at the defensive metric.

Well I mean lol at any defensive metric.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's good embiid is taking a leadership role wrt to Fultz .

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I get to watch Giannis on my teevee today then play Mario after the game

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bashez posted:

How crazy would it be if Doncic and Porzingis pan out and with Giannis we end up with the 3 best players not being American.

I'm afraid there is approximately 0% chance of Porzingis living up to his potential in his current situation. Would that it would not be so

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thinking there is a 15% chance Zingis signs the one year QO

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bashez posted:

Let's see LeBron's birth certificate

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

The point is more about the growing international presence, even in the upper echelons of players. I didn't mean to imply that there was a way the Knicks wouldn't ruin a 7'3" agile player with an outside shot.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Bashez posted:

The point is more about the growing international presence, even in the upper echelons of players. I didn't mean to imply that there was a way the Knicks wouldn't ruin a 7'3" agile player with an outside shot.

Yea it's strange not being almost instantly dismissive of or cynical about international prospects being billed as potential #1 picks, I've still got Darko in the back of my mind cuz I'm old

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

The offensive box score plus minus is ok .

Lol at the defensive metric.

Well I mean lol at any defensive metric.

DRPM is pretty good. It takes a while before its ready and there are always weird artifacts, but overall I think its probably the closest one.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bashez posted:

poo poo did we turn on Davis and Towns already?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Are we counting Ben Simmons as non American?

MourningView posted:

poo poo did we turn on Davis and Towns already?

I like winners.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Kobe's next challenge, taking on Big Sports Drink

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21156403/los-angeles-lakers-legend-kobe-bryant-new-post-basketball-obsession

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Not so fast!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bashez posted:

Are we counting Ben Simmons as non American?

I like winners.

Zinger ain't won poo poo

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

Zinger ain't won poo poo

We're getting off track.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Bulls are a living Aristocrats

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

DRPM is pretty good. It takes a while before its ready and there are always weird artifacts, but overall I think its probably the closest one.

If Rudy Gobert leads the league in a thing it is by definition a Good Stat

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dejan Bimble posted:

Before the season, people said, The CLIPPERS may not even make the PLAYOFFS. No one remembers how great Blake Griffin was without Paul slowing things to a crawl and moving everyone around with hand gestures. They forgot how versatile a healthy Danilo Gallinari is, and they aren't disgustingly addicted to baskteball so they didn't know about Milos Teodosic. Beverely has always been underrated, George Hill is a less mean and slightly better version of the archetype and he got a max contract. They also have a little bit of depth for the first time since Eric Bledsoe was on the team.

Indianapolis is playing in the perfect style for Oladipo, endless running, spreading the floor, with tons of opportunities to use puma man quickness to finish cleanly. Playing as a traditionalish sg in OKC made Dipo look extremely mediocre. He's at his best when the game is a series of sprints. He's like Will Barton but built like a mountain cat instead of a serpent.

It makes me happy for Indiana fans, because they seem to like basketball.
The main reason anyone thought the Clippers might not make the playoffs is based on Griffin and Galinari will be hurt for part of the season, not they are terrible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Spacebump posted:

The main reason anyone thought the Clippers might not make the playoffs is based on Griffin and Galinari will be hurt for part of the season, not they are terrible.

the narrative doesn't work when you bring in facts

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

euphronius posted:

Thinking there is a 15% chance Zingis signs the one year QO

I had a dream he does that and then signs to play with Giannis.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Indianapolis is playing in the perfect style for Oladipo, endless running, spreading the floor, with tons of opportunities to use puma man quickness to finish cleanly. Playing as a traditionalish sg in OKC made Dipo look extremely mediocre. He's at his best when the game is a series of sprints. He's like Will Barton but built like a mountain cat instead of a serpent.

It makes me happy for Indiana fans, because they seem to like basketball.

No dipo not being aggressive is what made him look mediocre. He had games where he would look drive to the rim first and he looked good in those but he mostly settled on his jumper without trying to get to the rim which was not the best decision

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

the narrative doesn't work when you bring in facts

4 games into the season is enough time to call perfect health a fact

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bashez posted:

It would be very crazy

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/hasanali2512/status/923504748669652992

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

Not so fast!

They traded Jimmy Butler to fix the culture.

I don't even know what they should do. I'd rather keep Niko because he is a better player and I don't want Portis hurting Markkanen who is the only player that matters on this team.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Would pay obscene amounts of money for a taxi cab confession show with unwitting NBA players.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't put the mans business out there like that

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/KingCakeBaby/status/923674105949442050

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Don't put the mans business out there like that
Agreed.

First the podcast loses Rich jeff now this

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I appreciate that losing to the Nets drives a man to drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/capitalflowking/status/923717446170587136

• Locked thread