Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I need something that can take out a 6/13th cubit bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

puritan farmer units

Every once in a while you run into someone who is under the impression America invented the imperial measurement system, and before America came around everyone on Earth was using metric, God's own sacred divine system derived from first principles by Aristotle

which is funny because lol we would never choose the name "imperial"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tax Inductions posted:

Sometime next year they're going to fix this by redefining the kilogram to be based on planck's constant.

http://www.nature.com/news/kilogram-conflict-resolved-at-last-1.18550

Nice. Took long enough.

got any sevens posted:

The only non-arbitrary measures of time are days and years, and even those fluctuate. But seconds/minutes/hours are purely imaginary.

isn't the second based off of the nuclear decay of like x moles of cesium atoms, and to define and measure those moles you eventually have to get back to the kilogram?

fruit on the bottom posted:

isn't this like 53/64ths dicklenth?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

isn't the second based off of the nuclear decay of like x moles of cesium atoms, and to define and measure those moles you eventually have to get back to the kilogram

I'm pretty sure we were using seconds before we knew what an atom was or that nuclear decay existed, but they probably added this justification in post-hoc because metric must have a math thing to find every unit imaginable

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006
I fight for all those men who have their nuts in a vice grip

Sagebrush posted:

all the bolts on my motorcycle, 3d printer, quadcopter, and other modern high-tech products of the future are multiples of round metric lengths (10mm, 15mm, 20mm, 30mm, etc)

who gives a poo poo how long they are in ancient puritan farmer units

Any vehicle designed and built in the US from 1960-2017 give a poo poo...

PS: Your Crotch Rocket != All Motorcycles

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

loquacius posted:

I'm pretty sure we were using seconds before we knew what an atom was or that nuclear decay existed, but they probably added this justification in post-hoc because metric must have a math thing to find every unit imaginable

yes, the Sumerians invented the second, and there are 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in an hour because their insane math system is base 60 or some poo poo.

This is also related to why a circle has 360 degrees and why there are 365 days in the year. (the 5 other days were dead, evil days outside the normal calander iirc. Like ghosts and poo poo come out so they're not "real" days.)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yes, the Sumerians invented the second, and there are 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in an hour because their insane math system is base 60 or some poo poo.

This is also related to why a circle has 360 degrees and why there are 365 days in the year. (the 5 other days were dead, evil days outside the normal calander iirc. Like ghosts and poo poo come out so they're not "real" days.)

If this is true, my headcanon is that it originated from the king of Sumeria being really hung over one morning

"Nope, this isn't a real day. Staying in bed. I dunno, man, this day just kind of sucks. It doesn't count, ok?"

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

half coke half diet posted:

Metric system makes sense, but you would have to remove every INCH measurement from everything and that goes into fasteners and poo poo. You have no idea how frustrating it is to listen to people say "I want a 6mm bolt that is 1.5" long". Give me a fastener that is 1.5" long in metric. Then tell me how many mm it is in, and tell me if 1.5" is easier than 37.5mm

In closing, gently caress metric, Im gonna stay INCH strong

We almost lost an airliner over this "we won't go metric" nonsense. And we did lose a space probe.

About time we switched.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

VideoGameVet posted:

We almost lost an airliner over this "we won't go metric" nonsense. And we did lose a space probe.

About time we switched.

Goddamn commie probe. Good riddance, I say.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

loquacius posted:

If this is true, my headcanon is that it originated from the king of Sumeria being really hung over one morning

"Nope, this isn't a real day. Staying in bed. I dunno, man, this day just kind of sucks. It doesn't count, ok?"

Eugh, gently caress going into court today. Have the high priest of Ensi look, there's prob hateful spirits giving me this headache

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I'm guessing the Tesla Model S is metric.

Yes, it is:

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/its-all-metric-cm-and-millimeter-tesla-motor-factory

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

Oh poo poo a car from elon musk has metric bolts, we have to stop everything and change over right away!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There are 365.25 days in a year because that's how long it takes the earth to make a revolution around the sun.

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

scrubs season six posted:

There are 365.25 days in a year because that's how long it takes the earth to make a revolution around the sun.

I thought it was all a conspiracy of the Knights Templar and the Gregorian's.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yeah yeah and there are 24 hours a day because that’s how long it takes the earth to rotate. You’ll get your chance to plead before Gilgamesh just like everyone else numbnuts*

*traditional Sumerian honorific

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

this was discovered by the sumerians and is why they have weird as gently caress numbers like this sequence

12 x 6023 x 60110 x 600

Only registered members can see post attachments!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Funny enough unless Fruit on the Bottom is the confessor puppetmaster goon has nothing to do with this derail. This

Worse: Fahrenheit vs Celsius

is what started it.

Puppetmaster goon got cucked.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’d love to pretend that I’m the confessor for a :master: but no I’m just bein’ a Chad.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
actually, thinking about it, my interpretation is probably wrong
< yy yyy <

is probably

104 + 23 + 32 + 101

or

10,000 + 8 + 9 + 10

10,027?

maybe? I dunno. Trying to figure this poo poo out is like trying to learn how to count again

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

I don't get why anybody gives your lovely posts any credence, to call it trolling is offensive to the art form.

You sound like a classy guy

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The dodeca system is by far the superior counting method.
https://youtu.be/U6xJfP7-HCc

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is the reason metric is base ten because of our fingers?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol. if you've got a hardly ableson go take a look at some of the engine bolts sometime. only bikes where you need two complete sets of tools to work on them

got any sevens posted:

Is the reason metric is base ten because of our fingers?

yes, but it's more accurate to say that the reason base ten is base 10 is because of our fingers.

e: also my ford is entirely metric but that's because it's secretly a mazda

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stop fumbling around through metric and standard sockets. You're not a socket tracker!

Now there's a better way!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're not a socket tracker!

That’s not what everyone in this thread’s moms said :colbert:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The point is that they declared 5 days to be 'evil' days or whatever, and part of why they picked that number is to make an even 360 'good' days, because it's aesthetically pleasing in a numerical system based around 60.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PetraCore posted:

The point is that they declared 5 days to be 'evil' days or whatever, and part of why they picked that number is to make an even 360 'good' days, because it's aesthetically pleasing in a numerical system based around 60.

I wish we had weird "not counted evil" days where anything goes. Like a purge or something!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wish we had weird "not counted evil" days where anything goes. Like a purge or something!
Time to delete all records of my student loans. :black101:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I like how that confessor made all of you people autism out about measurments, although to be fair in GBS that's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. Confessor, what you said is like "I'm really good at counting to three" maybe technically correct but completely irrelevant.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Confessor did nothing. In fact we did the very thing he was bitching about.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
You see, the Rankine scale is objectively best because it sets 0 to Absolute Zero, like Kelvin does, but it uses the smaller Fahrenheit degrees so you get finer detail.

(no but seriously anon alkie goon, get on the Sinclair Method, it's the best)

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Confessor did nothing. In fact we did the very thing he was bitching about.

That's what I he wants you to think!

I wonder if there's a correlation between the tendency to talk about temperature scales and alcoholism.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I prefer the simplicity of the Hot/Cold scale. Boiling water? Thats hot. Ice? That's cold. The sun? That's hot. A witch's glare? That's cold.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I thought the coldest part of any given witch was the tit?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Police Automaton posted:

I like how that confessor made all of you people autism out about measurments, although to be fair in GBS that's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. Confessor, what you said is like "I'm really good at counting to three" maybe technically correct but completely irrelevant.

Man gently caress you, I started this not him

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Edit: Ignore this. Phone posting sucks sometimes

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 27, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If you think about it, redefining the kilogram with a whole lot of complicated math is a bit stupid. Every child knows a kg is 1000 grams. Why make it so complicated. :downsrim:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

this was discovered by the sumerians and is why they have weird as gently caress numbers like this sequence

12 x 6023 x 60110 x 600

Your statement made it seem like the Sumerians decided to break a circle into 360 degrees and also decided that it should take 365 days for the earth to go around the sun. God decided the latter buddy, not the Sumerians!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

God didn't exist yet in ancient sumeria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jastiger posted:

You sound like a classy guy

I drink my liquor with my pinky finger stuck out, yes.