Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ewoks are cute. Porgs are cute. BB-8 is cute. Star Wars creates opportunities for merchandising. It's how Disney was able to make up their investment before TFA even came out (at least I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere). It just also manages to often tell good stories at the same time. If there's a Porg that's a stowaway and we get a few reaction shots here and there, I'm gonna be just fine. I'll be pretty annoyed at the ridiculously negative reaction that I'm sure will occur online, but other than that, just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

clown shoes posted:

I liked Ewoks when I was a kid. I didn't know I was supposed to hate them until I became a man.

I watched and liked the Ewok cartoon series long before I knew Star Wars even existed. I can't hate them like you're supposed to according to the Internet hive opinion.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

clown shoes posted:

I liked Ewoks when I was a kid. I didn't know I was supposed to hate them until I became a man.

Sounds like you're finally getting a handle on it

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hardcore porg

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Ewoks are cute. Porgs are cute. BB-8 is cute. Star Wars creates opportunities for merchandising.
It's funny how the "cool" things never get this kind of reaction. Just the cute things. No one made a compilation of Kylo Ren's mask merchandise. Or Darth Maul back in the day.

"Cool things aren't just there to sell toys, they're cool and I like them! I don't like this cute thing... therefore it only exists to sell toys."

Cool things are cool and cute things are cute and this whole movie is indulgent feel-good entertainment. Nerds getting worked up about things that don't target them directly are pathetic.

Porgs are cute. :3:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Eiba posted:

It's funny how the "cool" things never get this kind of reaction. Just the cute things. No one made a compilation of Kylo Ren's mask merchandise.

And they reeeeeally should have.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's funny bc his mask was all over in the leadup to TFA and now it hardly featured in the TFA stuff. Maybe they planned it out like this, but it seems like they were hedging their bets on people liking Kylo and made a mistake in their favor, where the fanbase really took to him, mask aside. Kinda like the flipside of how they somehow didn't make enough Rey toys

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thrawn527 posted:

Ewoks are cute. Porgs are cute. BB-8 is cute. Star Wars creates opportunities for merchandising. It's how Disney was able to make up their investment before TFA even came out (at least I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere). It just also manages to often tell good stories at the same time. If there's a Porg that's a stowaway and we get a few reaction shots here and there, I'm gonna be just fine. I'll be pretty annoyed at the ridiculously negative reaction that I'm sure will occur online, but other than that, just fine.

Porg.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

They've said that since there's been CGI and it still looks wrong.

How much money did they spend on CGI Tarkin in R1? lol

Well I mean, it's good enough now for stuff we would have used puppets for. Not people.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

clown shoes posted:

When I was a kid I just thought they were scary.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

porgs are no pikachu, i'll say that much

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ewoks are cute.
Bb8 is cute.
Bb8 rolls around and makes silly beeps
Ewoks meet other sentient beings and attempt to cook them alive and eat them.
Cute

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eiba posted:

It's funny how the "cool" things never get this kind of reaction. Just the cute things. No one made a compilation of Kylo Ren's mask merchandise. Or Darth Maul back in the day.

"Cool things aren't just there to sell toys, they're cool and I like them! I don't like this cute thing... therefore it only exists to sell toys."

Cool things are cool and cute things are cute and this whole movie is indulgent feel-good entertainment. Nerds getting worked up about things that don't target them directly are pathetic.

Porgs are cute. :3:
Because a cute fun thing is not a cool mature thing for matures. Only something filmed in monochrome or set in the Middle East Forever War is an acceptable piece of fiction. Also, it needs to let me call strangers racial slurs, and you should win real life prizes for playing or watching.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I love cute stuff, but only when it's actually cute and made by people who know what they're doing. Then again it's possible they made the Porg ugly on purpose because of the Star Wars tradition of cute creatures also being a little bit creepy, gross or deformed in some way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I love cute stuff, but only when it's actually cute and made by people who know what they're doing. Then again it's possible they made the Porg ugly on purpose because of the Star Wars tradition of cute creatures also being a little bit creepy, gross or deformed in some way.
The Porg makes perfect sense to me as an animal, the deformed-looking appearance is because we don't get birds with snouts/mouths due to the random chance of evolution. It's actually pretty clever IMO.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Anyway, I realized the biggest missed opportunity in all of Star Wars. Instead of being an ice planet, they should have had Starkiller Base be a forest planet or even a rain forest planet and when the sun darkened to charge up the weapon it got colder until there was a blizzard that killed all the native life because they'd never experienced cold before.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Anyway, I realized the biggest missed opportunity in all of Star Wars. Instead of being an ice planet, they should have had Starkiller Base be a forest planet or even a rain forest planet and when the sun darkened to charge up the weapon it got colder until there was a blizzard that killed all the native life because they'd never experienced cold before.

Maybe that's what happened when they did a low power test shot. Find out when Rogue Three comes out in December 2023

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember watching some movie called The Great Ewok Adventure but don't remember what it was about or if Lucas had anything to do with it

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I remember watching some movie called The Great Ewok Adventure but don't remember what it was about or if Lucas had anything to do with it

Was it the one with the giant that captured Ewoks or the one with the space witch that murdered the little girl's family and had Wilfred Brimley?

Those movies were loving bizarre.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

KiteAuraan posted:

Was it the one with the giant that captured Ewoks or the one with the space witch that murdered the little girl's family and had Wilfred Brimley?

Those movies were loving bizarre.

I have no idea and I'm not going to rewatch it even if you paid me

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i don't remember what i thought of ewoks as a kid. i do remember I loved the podrace tho. fuckin love that pod race still.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

but about jedi, the most emotional i got i think was feeling really sorry for the i think blue alien girl who jabba just kills for fun. that stuff always got to me as a kid.

rest of the movie, dont really remember what i thought.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Zas posted:

i don't remember what i thought of ewoks as a kid. i do remember I loved the podrace tho. fuckin love that pod race still.

Pod race was cool and the Episode I Racer game owned bones.

Also has anyone pointed out that maybe the last jedi is... Porg?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

sebzilla posted:

Pod race was cool and the Episode I Racer game owned bones.

The Porg has clearly saved Chewbacca's life or otherwise assumed ownership of the Millenium Falcon.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Got Porg?

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I have no idea and I'm not going to rewatch it even if you paid me
The Ewok movies are actually great little family films set in the Star Wars universe. The second one is pretty dark for a kids movie.

Yes I watched them a lot as a kid

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Looke posted:

Got Porg?

I do not but soon we all will.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

sebzilla posted:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

P lagueis
O riginated
R ey &
G oes by
S noke now

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

They probably have no idea what the giant goofy toy commercial they just made means.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Psst https://www.fifthsun.com/results?q=Porg

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Porg's name is also Luke?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

sebzilla posted:

The Porg's name is also Luke?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Luke is training the Porgs to emit a specific sound when squeezed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OXfAPPckQU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Who's Ben

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The idiot pod racer whose ride blew up at the starting line. It was hella funny, remember?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That was Kylo's original name.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Spin this poo poo around I wanna see the porgs

• Locked thread