Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DandyLion posted:

Wasn't there a Russian family discovered living out in the Taiga (Siberia) for the last 80 years or so after the Communist purges in the first part of the 20th century. That place is 10 times as inhospitable as where he died, and that bunch had something like 10 family members living in huts up there.

The Lykovs

At one point they had a single stalk of wheat that they watched round‐the‐clock in shifts lest it be eaten by vermin.

If they had lost it, they would never be able to grow wheat again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
https://i.imgur.com/mbsA8eM.gifV

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DandyLion posted:

Wasn't there a Russian family discovered living out in the Taiga (Siberia) for the last 80 years or so after the Communist purges in the first part of the 20th century. That place is 10 times as inhospitable as where he died, and that bunch had something like 10 family members living in huts up there.

Platystemon posted:

The Lykovs

At one point they had a single stalk of wheat that they watched round‐the‐clock in shifts lest it be eaten by vermin.

If they had lost it, they would never be able to grow wheat again.

Yup. About a year ago I binged on the story. There are two documentaries about the last surviving member of the family, the daughter Agafia.
I watched this one first, and I prefer it to the Vice take on the story:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKwJf0VHw90
Vice's take (which isn't bad, I just like the other one better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2AYafET68

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Staryberry posted:

You should read this article from the New Yorker about additional research that has been done about how he died. He was subsisting on wild potatoes, which were widely known to be safe for human consumption. It actually turns out that they contain a neurotoxin that can be harmless to some people, and paralyzing to others. Young men with limited caloric diets are the most at risk. I'm not saying that he wasn't fool hardy, but the sudden precipitous decline in his health, and his death might not have been something that a more prepared survivalist would have been able to avoid.

That's a controversial notion (and it wasn't the potatoes themselves, it was the seeds), disputed by numerous chemists. Krakauer floated this idea in his book but testing refuted it. Then another chemist suggested that it was another compound, and the results of further tests for that are in dispute:

https://cen.acs.org/articles/91/i43/Chemists-Dispute-WildProtagonist-Chris-McCandless.html

Then Krakauer wrote the New Yorker article, when he changed his theory again to it being canavanine.

A more prepared survivalist would definitely have been able to avoid it because a more prepared survivalist would have been more prepared and hence would have brought equipment and awareness suitable to the area, including maps that would have shown him a river crossing .8 miles away from where he holed up and starved himself to death, and wouldn't have been relying for survival on wild potato seeds. McCandless committed very elaborate suicide; the proximate cause of his death is pretty much irrelevant, if you go into the Alaskan wilderness alone when that poorly-equipped and with that little experience, you're killing yourself.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who wants forums schad?

<---------

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo you can watch her sole leave her body

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

iospace posted:

Who wants forums schad?

<---------

i want forums schad what's the context here?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

U-DO Burger posted:

i want forums schad what's the context here?

I got red texted :downs:

Oh well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

iospace posted:

Oh well.

lordy guy just asked for context not a drat novel there Shakespeare.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sneakyfrog posted:

lordy guy just asked for context not a drat novel there Shakespeare.

Phone posting. Someone called me the dick grabber of the F1 thread and one of the other regulars decided to make it stick.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

iospace posted:

Phone posting. Someone called me the dick grabber of the F1 thread and one of the other regulars decided to make it stick.

did you internet grab someones weener?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sneakyfrog posted:

did you internet grab someones weener?

Yeah, by probating them, apparently that's dick grabbing.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

iospace posted:

:aaaaa:

Id say in that case youd need consent for that

something like "may i grab your dongus at this time friend poster"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Anyway, actual, non-meta content:

https://twitter.com/AwardsDarwin/status/923667864724402177

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/TZHqkSy.mp4

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Some people are just plain unlucky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-8JqNGg2Oc

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I posted this in the meme thread but since I found it because of your guys' wrestling talk here's the worst wrestling thing ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYcyt8FPlg

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Frazzbo posted:

Why does this one have six fingers (ok, five fingers and a thumb)?

Human things have two hands. One hand is behind the other hand.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

https://shar.es/1P4jUk

Edit: Fixed link.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Oct 27, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

DiggityDoink posted:

Please tell me you were freeballing so the true schadenfreude can come through.

I wasn't so the balls were ok, just a big bruise on my thigh where the drill slammed into it. Sorry

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Early celebration is always great schad, also according to the imgurrrrrrr comments the kick is legal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EmmyOk posted:

Early celebration is always great schad, also according to the imgurrrrrrr comments the kick is legal

Checks out.

e: FIVB 9.2.1

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Oct 27, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

iospace posted:

Oh well.

Mods can't change redtext?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ghosthorse posted:

I posted this in the meme thread but since I found it because of your guys' wrestling talk here's the worst wrestling thing ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYcyt8FPlg

I thought this was going to be this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uTCHS8KHdE

But yeah, spoken word smashing pumpkins is pretty terrible.

EmmyOk posted:

So long as you aren't carrying the ball you can strike with any part of your body.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Kurieg posted:

I thought this was going to be this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uTCHS8KHdE

The best part is Sting yelling "I agree, I agree" back to the crowd's "bullshit!" chant.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Samizdata posted:

I like to let mine sit for a bit if I find it funny at least!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Samizdata posted:

Most mods take the stance of "someone was willing to pay ten dollars to pin this message to me, I may was well let it stick for a few weeks."

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

A few months ago the Australian government got rocked by a scandal: two senators were dual-citizens. This is flagrantly against the Constitution, and they resigned once they found out about this.

At the time, deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce had a few words to say about it:

tithin posted:

“Unfortunately that’s the law. It’s like if you’re driving down the road without a licence and you get pulled over, well you’re in a spot of bother.

“They were members of parliament, but it’s quiet clear on Section 44, you can’t be a member of parliament and have dual citizenship - it's black and white.

“I don’t think it is [time to have a look at Section 44 of the constitution], I think you've just got to do your homework and make sure you're not a citizen of two countries when you stand for parliament.

“Now Larissa said she believed that was not the case, and I’m sure that would be the outcome for Scott Ludlum, but unfortunately, ignorance is not an excuse.

“There is nothing malicious about it, I don’t think they were being sneaky, but they were outside what Section 44 explicitly says.”

Half an hour ago, deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce got disqualified from Parliament by the High Court of Australia.

He was a dual-citizen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Really silly rule that you can be a citizen of another country despite being born in Australia. But it makes for good schaden stories.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Mu Zeta posted:

Really silly rule that you can be a citizen of another country despite being born in Australia. But it makes for good schaden stories.

It's not hard to wind up with dual citizenship. If an American gives birth while living or even on vacation in Australia, then the baby will have citizenship in both countries. Likewise if an Australian gives birth in America.

Unless you meant to say "can't," in which case I guess for politicians it's like a conflict of interest. I wonder if they renounced the other citizenship (before running, obviously) if that would make them eligible.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

I wonder if they renounced the other citizenship (before running, obviously) if that would make them eligible.

Yes

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

iospace posted:

Rosberg is cool and good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ilmucche posted:

Rosberg is cool and good

He is but he took the coward's route out. Oh well, he retires with a WDC which is indeed, cool and good.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

EKDS5k posted:

If an American gives birth while living or even on vacation in Australia, then the baby will have citizenship in both countries. Likewise if an Australian gives birth in America.

Nnnnnno, the baby born to Americans in Australia wouldn't have Australian citizenship, because we don't have jus soli. The baby born in the US to Australian parents would get US citizenship though, because they do.

Edit: clarity

Weatherman has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Oct 27, 2017

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

fantastic

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Weatherman posted:

Nnnnnno, the baby wouldn't have Australian citizenship. We don't have jus soli. The baby born in the US would because they do.

quote:

If you were born in Australia, then you would automatically be an Australian citizen if:

* You were born in Australia prior to 20 August 1986; OR

* You were born in Australia after 20 August 1986, and one of your
parents held Australian citizenship or an Australian permanent
residence visa at the time of birth; OR

* You were born in Australia after 20 August 1986, neither of your parents held Australian citizenship or an Australian permanent residence visa, but you have spent the majority of your life in Australia prior to your 10th birthday. In this case, you automatically become an Australian citizen on your 10th birthday.

Born Overseas to an Australian Citizen Parent

If you were born overseas and one of your parents held Australian citizenship at your date of birth, then you are eligible to be registered as an Australian citizen. The registration must be done at an Australian consulate or embassy overseas. Note that previously, this registration had to occur before you reached a certain age - however, this restriction has been removed as of the 1st of July 2007

ref: https://www.acacia-au.com/australian-citizenship.php

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

None of that contradicts what I wrote, except for the part about living in Australia from birth to 10 years, which is not what a child of American tourists would be doing.

I guess you are technically correct (the best kind), but if you think that one particular loophole is what the OP was writing about, then I need to update my list of Fishmech alts

vvvvvv lol

Weatherman has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Oct 27, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Weatherman posted:

I guess you are technically correct (the best kind), but if you think that one particular loophole is what the OP was writing about, then I need to update my list of Fishmech alts

Can you stamp your foot harder, I like a good tantrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Weatherman posted:

Nnnnnno, the baby born to Americans in Australia wouldn't have Australian citizenship, because we don't have jus soli. The baby born in the US to Australian parents would get US citizenship though, because they do.

Edit: clarity

Oh, my bad, I thought it worked the same as over here. Regardless, my main point was that getting dual citizenship isn't that difficult or unusual.