Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I really loved Gravity Falls when it started out, but was so bummed by the ending.
The whole Mystery bit wasn't handled too great at the end, sure. But the actual ending, where the twins have to give up their friends but get a nice remember us letter was really good.

I'll always go to the Gargoyles well when it comes to a loving coherent world that came together in the background of a fun series. Like the Xanatos robot that becomes part of the Wild Pack, or the entire Puck reveal. Yeah the stuff after slumps pretty bad, but man thay show hit some highs for its day.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

The whole Mystery bit wasn't handled too great at the end, sure. But the actual ending, where the twins have to give up their friends but get a nice remember us letter was really good
I think I was too busy hating how Grunkle Stan's memory loss was handled to fully appreciate that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, I really liked early Gravity Falls and kinda meant to go back to the show at some point. It sucks hearing that the show kinda went to poo poo.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
It's still a lot of fun, and a really good watch.

The ending was kind of lack luster, sure, but it was still a good ride up unto that point. Even then, the ending isn't terrible, or series wrecking. It's just not as good as it could/should have been.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I think I was too busy hating how Grunkle Stan's memory loss was handled to fully appreciate that.
Because it's not like they'd previously established that memories could be regained or anything (and that was McGucket, who had had his mind wiped who knows how many times over literal decades). Would you prefer they cram a 'Stan gets his memory back' montage in there too?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Man, I really liked early Gravity Falls and kinda meant to go back to the show at some point. It sucks hearing that the show kinda went to poo poo.

Personally I think it held up, there's just deabate over some aspects of the ending. Better to watch it for yourself and see.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Because it's not like they'd previously established that memories could be regained or anything (and that was McGucket, who had had his mind wiped who knows how many times over literal decades). Would you prefer they cram a 'Stan gets his memory back' montage in there too?
In that case maybe they shouldn't have treated his "sacrifice" like a big deal for cheap tearjerking then.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Gravity Falls would have been more cohesive and had better flow as 3 seasons of 10-12 episodes rather than 2 seasons of 20. But that's a real hindsight view of the show overall and not one you could have said before it was totally over.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though all things considered, accelerating the ending to give some actual closure and go out on a high note was probably one of the better ways they could have dealt with creative burnout. It's clearly a show they put a ton of effort into.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I feel like the ending of Gravity Falls is one of those situations where the whole adds up to less than the sum of its parts. After all, Stan confronting Bill is a great moment, and the kids managing to bring his memory back isn't even a bad sequence-it's just that, when you place them back to back, the impact of both moments is unfortunately lessened.

Still, while the ending could've been a lot better, I can't blame them for wanting to implement an unambiguously happy ending, and it's still not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Show's still great, and I'm looking forward to whatever Hirsch does next.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 27, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dr Christmas posted:

Man, so many cartoons we on this forum liked all decided to have an extended arc in which a lead character moped over a breakup or unrequited crush at about the same time. Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Legend of Korra, Regular Show, and TMNT are the ones that I can think of right now. Star vs. The Forces of Evil could fall into that if it isn't careful.

This is my favorite part of Miraculous. They play up the love square for laughs instead of drama. Marinette just casually admitting to having memorized Adrien’s schedule in the season 2 premiere got a genuine laugh out of me.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

Star vs. The Forces of Evil could fall into that if it isn't careful.

That's why so many people want Star to go Full Evil instead, because it'd be so much more interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Whiz Palace posted:

That's why so many people want Star to go Full Evil instead, because it'd be so much more interesting.

I can picture this involving her trying to get back together with Tom... who might have been into it when first introduced, but now I can imagine it's more funny to turn the tables on Tom and have him realise how creepy and terrifying it is.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Senerio posted:

This is my favorite part of Miraculous. They play up the love square for laughs instead of drama. Marinette just casually admitting to having memorized Adrien’s schedule in the season 2 premiere got a genuine laugh out of me.

She actually mapped it out on a pulldown map in her room in S1 when Alya asked where he was one time.

edit: now that I look at this I'm wondering what some of these actually say, like the cat one and the rendezvous with pere thing. Anyone read French?
edit2: Aaand wiki fanatics come through again. It says "volontariat au centre de chatons abadonnés" on June 1st, which translates to "volunteering at the abandoned kitten center."

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 27, 2017

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My French is très lovely, but I'm pretty sure those entries are 'meeting/hanging out with Dad' and 'volunteer at the Cat Shelter'. Escrime is fencing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
And Saint Valentin is pretty fuckin obvious

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think goons are too harsh on it, I loved it from beginning to end. Not every episode was 100% good, but overall I think it was a great show.

Actually watching the show as episodes came out was torture, though. There was one hiatus that lasted literally a year, plus like three or four that lasted for four months. And they didn't even have the bomb format to blame for it!

Pakled fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 27, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Xelkelvos posted:

If you're saying that like it's a bad thing, I'd disagree there.

I didn't feel like we needed an entire episode dedicated to the throwaway joke of why Billy Quizboy didn't know how he got his robot arm.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea that part leading up to the finale where it had about 3 months before the finale eps was just...there was no reason for that. Disney's weird scheduling I get even less than Cartoon Network's because it's like..why does Disney need ratings even? They have just about half of every property people care about. And if they're not trying to bump a rating then...what other reason could there be? The social medias?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Senerio posted:

The show even plays Marinette's stalker-ish side towards Adrien for laughs, with a scene where she worries that she is a stalker turning into a cartoon-accompanied frantic piece to camera that ends with Alya giving her a bewildered look and asking "who are you talking to?"

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 29, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, just watched Gumball's last week episode.

I can't believe I missed a 'Don't Hug Me I'm Scared' episode. This show really does enjoy it's different animation styles and references.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

WHOA GUYS A NEW CLARENCE IS ON TONIGHT

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One of the Regular Show Halloween episodes is on and I think this is the first time they've aired it since it ended.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I just loving binged OK KO and it's gone from not even being on my radar to being one of my favorite shows

It's a love letter to anime, RPGs and 90s/late aughts culture and it basically feels like it was made specifically for me

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

JT Jag posted:

I just loving binged OK KO and it's gone from not even being on my radar to being one of my favorite shows

It's a love letter to anime, RPGs and 90s/late aughts culture and it basically feels like it was made specifically for me

Agreed. OK KO is indeed wonderful. You oughta check out the thread for it.

The cactus episode was the best.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Speaking of which, I just noticed that OK KO's prom episode definitely had Joff the Monk and his army man friend dancing together couple-style, so that's a thing.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Yeah I noticed that too, it's visible for like two seconds in the background but it's there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm not utterly sure if it belongs here, but I've been working on a thing and I think this just about the most appropriate place to post it.

Enjoy?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's funny.. I keep getting Remember stuck in my head (Ember's Signature song from Danny Phantom) and I think it's because Ember is my favourite character due to being one of the few ghosts with an actual backstory, but unlike Poindexter she never gets exposition. The only backstory she gets that I recall is implied by her song lyrics, a young girl stood up by her crush who died of a combination of exhaustion and a bad coincidence:

quote:

Yeah! Oh!

It was, it was September
Winds blow, the dead leaves fall
To you, I did surrender
Two weeks, you didn't call

Your life goes on without me
My life, a losing game
But you should, you should not doubt me
You will remember my name

Oh, Ember, you will remember
Ember, one thing remains
Oh, Ember, so warm and tender

Your heart, your heart has rendered
Your loss, now bear the shame.
Like dead trees, in cold December
Nothing but ashes remain

Oh, Ember, you will remember
Ember, one thing remains
Ember, so warm and tender
Oh, woah, woah!

Ember, you will remember
Ember, one thing remains
Ember, so warm and tender
Yeah! You will remember my name

With that in mind her powers and obsession make sense - mind control because her crush didn't do what he said he'd do and wasn't there when he said he'd be, obsession with remembrance/recognition because from her POV he basically forgot/ignored her. Also an interesting thematic thing is that no one knows her name when she was alive, or what happened, to them she'll only ever be Ember - she has been completely forgotten.

BTW I didn't memorize the song I got the lyrics from the wiki.

Edit: Looking at Ember's page the creators were more explicit although it's never stated in the show:

quote:

Previous Life
According to one of the creators for the show, before she died, Ember was an unpopular high school-aged girl who had large dreams of becoming a rock star. One day a boy asked her out to the movies. She waited all night for him to show up, saying, "He's just running late." When morning came and he didn't show up, Ember went home. She was so exhausted that she fell asleep and didn't wake up when her house mysteriously caught on fire. She died in the flames, which possibly gave her the name "Ember." Her song "Remember" is most likely based on the above events prior to her death.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 5, 2017

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I liked how what seemed like a throwaway gag in the fourth new episode of Miraculous - Hawk Moth doesn't have the total control over his victims that we thought, with Befana hilariously making him say "please" before she'll do his bidding - paid off as something much bigger two episodes later when Robostus tries to kill him in his own lair by taking control of his security system. Serialisation!

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 6, 2017

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

I liked how what seemed like a throwaway gag in the fourth new episode of Miraculous - Hawk Moth doesn't have the total control over his victims that we thought, with Befana hilariously making him say "please" before she'll do his bidding - paid off as something much bigger two episodes later when Robostus tries to kill him in his own lair by taking control of his security system. Serialisation!

That does confirm a spoiler from earlier That inanimate objects could be akumatized. It also informs Marinette why Hawkmoth wants the miraculouses {miraculii? Miraculous'?) and gives us an excuse as to why the good guys can't use them, which'll probably come into play later. If Robustus' wish to become human had come true, someone else would have to lose their humanity. So if Hawkmoth's wish is to bring his wife back to life as many suspect, it means someone else will have to die. Now when does Adrien find out all this stuff, I wonder, because I can see that being a struggle for him. Though I can't see this show going that dark, so it'd probably be someone else would have to 'disappear' to bring her back from where she disappeared to.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 6, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Oracle posted:

That does confirm a spoiler from earlier That inanimate objects could be akumatized. It also informs Marinette why Hawkmoth wants the miraculouses {miraculii? Miraculous'?) and gives us an excuse as to why the good guys can't use them, which'll probably come into play later. If Robustus' wish to become human had come true, someone else would have to lose their humanity. So if Hawkmoth's wish is to bring his wife back to life as many suspect, it means someone else will have to die. Now when does Adrien find out all this stuff, I wonder, because I can see that being a struggle for him. Though I can't see this show going that dark, so it'd probably be someone else would have to 'disappear' to bring her back from where she disappeared to.

The shadow realm works on equilvant exchange :v:

But yeah, good to hear the show is doing something a bit more advanced in season 2.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

The shadow realm works on equilvant exchange :v:

But yeah, good to hear the show is doing something a bit more advanced in season 2.

Well if you've heard anything about the original show it was supposed to be a lot more mature and darker (and hand drawn and the kids were supposed to be in college).

But some other interesting notes that will likely crop up later. Ep 5 (Besides the obvious new love interest for Adrien in the form of fencing monster Kagami, which is another confirmed leak/spoiler):
- injuries received before transformation linger on when they are suited up (Adrien twists his ankle rescuing Ladybug from Riposte, later Cat Noir still has the ankle injury. Which c'mon Marinette, its getting ridiculous at this point. They're both allergic to feathers and they both have the same ankle injury at the same time in the same place when one disappears, and Cat Noir freaks out and goes totally out of character when he hears Gabriel Agreste might be Hawkmoth?)
- Adrien 'doesn't like to be locked up' (which, given his dad's basically kept him under house arrest his whole life, makes sense)
- Adrien doesn't look at Marinette as a potential love interest (at least consciously), just a sweet girl who's a friend, but still has the hots for Ladybug. And that's not just based on what he said to Kagami. Their interaction when he's teaching Marinette to fence and she's blushing every time she so much as thinks about touching him and he's just standing there patiently with that polite smile on his face waiting for her to get with the program just screamed disinterest. I cannot believe he doesn't know about Marinette's crush, this is the guy with screaming fans swooning all over the place who hates signing autographs which one assumes means he gets bugged for them enough to be tired of them.
- Adrien also has a type (small dark Asian girls who can kick his rear end).

And something I just realized:
Gabriel was the herald of the Lord. Hawkmoth's been rumored to not be the main bad guy, this peacock lady is.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Oracle posted:

- Adrien 'doesn't like to be locked up

I mean, who does?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

pls don't kinkshame me :(

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oracle posted:

I cannot believe he doesn't know about Marinette's crush
The cast's table read from 'Troublemaker' at Comic-Con showed that he genuinely doesn't, yet (or at least, he hasn't admitted it to himself), but is about to find out in the most embarrassing-for-Marinette way possible. I can't wait to see the finished version, because I was simultaneously laughing and cringing at the table read. Which proves I'm way too invested in these dorky kids and their relationship, I guess.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

Oracle posted:

-Adrien doesn't like to be locked up
I mean, who does?
Its more than that. He equates being hidden from someone that's been akumatized and wants to kill him with being locked up. And if you look at the symbolism in the show, well here (shamelessly stolen from tumbler or pinterest or some poo poo):

I mean he's even got bars on his shirt. Kid's been under house arrest pretty much his whole life.

Payndz, oy. That sounds awful. Which ep is that? I think six have aired so far.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Troublemaker' is the next episode (the 7th), I think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So Unikitty looks....

unremarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So apparently they recently had an episode of The Loud House to deal with the internet theory that Lincoln is adopted and it was poo poo. I don’t know why this surprised me since TLH is the worst written cartoon on TV but here we are.

Basically, Lincoln is now explicitly NOT adopted*, which is stupid as gently caress because that was literally the only potential for depth or drama the show had to offer past gift card tier platitudes on the importance of family. Even if it wasn’t planned the fact that the writing staff didn’t just roll with the idea is beyond me.

They didn’t even manage to wring any decent material out of the episode. It was all painfully unfunny schtick of Lincoln and Clyde being spectacular dumbasses while trying to figure out why there’s no birth photos of him. That this might actually be a big deal was never really acknowledged. Then the ultimate explanation (Lincoln has no baby photos because the family van broke down so the president’s car picked them up and the First Lady had to do the delivery. That’s right, you heard me) is so stupid that I’d think it was further misdirection if we were dealing with any other show. They never even really explained Lincoln’s white hair even though a throwaway line about his grandpa would have done the trick. Seriously, I don’t know how you gently caress up such a good premise but that’s TLH in a nutshell really.

*Sort of. There’s still a blond haired girl Lincoln’s age living with a white haired family so hospital mix up is still plausible.