Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

well my name is mak key and im here to say
i like to infringe copyright in a major wa- wait i hosed it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Murrah posted:

Courtesy of the Courts of NZ Website you can listen to a side-by-side audio comparison track:

https://courtsofnewzealand.blob.cor...0T04%3A18%3A39Z

Listen to with headphones. One side is audio from the ad, one is Eminem

As a non-music person it might as well be exactly the same. Side by side it sounds maybe half a beat out of phase. They totally self owned.

What is the deal with cover bands in comparison to this?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'd imagine if they plan to sell the cover then they need to buy the rights to do so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

it's a really good judgment. some classic musicological disses too

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Also whether the cover song is being used to promote a political party

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jesus it's already begun

quote:

Employers and Manufacturers Association (EMA) chief executive Kim Campbell said the initial increase was not much more than what a National-led Government would have implemented.

"The first step was well signalled... and it's not very responsible signalling it so well in advance because it sets up inflationary expectations," he said.

"Exporters are going to do a bit better but you'd have to do the sums to see how they land but it will all turn into an inflationary spiral which is a really good way to bring the economy to a grinding halt."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11936340

So it's similar to what National were planning but it's bad, it was well signalled in advance but that's bad, and our exporters will do better but actually that's bad. He literally uses "but" twice in a sentence.

We really really need more of these kind of groups on the left so that groups like this don't get presented as neutral or apolitical.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 26, 2017

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Inflationary spiral? What loving planet is he on? Interest rates are near historic lows and have barely budged since the GFC. Wages are utterly stagnant. Theres no inflation to be seen anywhere right now, so I can't exactly see how we're currently at high risk for some sort catastrophic death-spiral capable of "bringing the economy to a grinding halt." Honestly we could actually use a bit of inflation at the moment

Rahul fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 26, 2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
kim campbell's a pompous sleaze imo

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/radionz/status/923441748457619456

small but good things

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ian Lees-Galloway also thinks immigrants steal our jobs so I'm surprised he's letting the guy stay

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

oohhboy posted:

As a non-music person it might as well be exactly the same. Side by side it sounds maybe half a beat out of phase. They totally self owned.

bike tory posted:

I'd imagine if they plan to sell the cover then they need to buy the rights to do so.

Yeah, to sell a cover of a song you need to own a Mechanical License for it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
saw this van on lambton quay the other day

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Probably Hanlon's Razor in effect. Probably.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

What’s the grub like at chummeez cafe (downstairs)?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Am I missing something? They're a courier company right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

Ein van.
Ein driver.
Ein courier.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

So they're Nazi couriers?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bike tory posted:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I think as a general rule even if your logo looks slightly similiar to a shape that could be construed as a swastika you should probably consider changing it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I guess it's similar now that you mention it, but hardly overt. I can see how it would get through

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
New Zealand Government to ban foreigners from buying property
Prime Minister-elect Jacinda Ardern says new policy designed to stop soaring house prices

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/new-zealand-foreigners-buy-property-ban-coalition-talks-prime-minister-jacinda-arden-a8017261.html

Is this a something or a nothing? Like, will it do poo poo? I need the thread to tell me how to think and feel about this.

Also, no one posted about it? You kids are useless, too busy with your em and em rap musics and your nazi worshiping.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's a no-brainer.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I don't think it's bad, but the bigger problem is all those kiwi mumsanddads buying extra houses as cash cows.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's a no-brainer.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It's better than nothing.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Xik posted:

New Zealand Government to ban foreigners from buying property
Prime Minister-elect Jacinda Ardern says new policy designed to stop soaring house prices

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/new-zealand-foreigners-buy-property-ban-coalition-talks-prime-minister-jacinda-arden-a8017261.html

Is this a something or a nothing? Like, will it do poo poo? I need the thread to tell me how to think and feel about this.

Also, no one posted about it? You kids are useless, too busy with your em and em rap musics and your nazi worshiping.

It'll do a bit to stabilise the influx of capital into assets from countries that have been facing penalties and caps on removing currency from the market (and in particular, the big boogeyman China). However, I think that ship has largely sailed – the rules dictating foreign investment and currency shifting were instigated in 2012/13-ish, and we've mostly borne the brunt of that by now.

That's not to say the kiwi boomers won't keep wanting to play the house trading game, and it's in the interest of everyone with a stake to keep the price increase train rolling. At this point it's really just a band-aid to help halt the international millionaire equivalent of the 'liquidate your assets, buy gold, Ron Paul 2020' types who want to purchase up swathes of land as basically the world's best interest-positive bank loan.

The real issue is what happens when those same boomers see their rent margins start to drop and tighten the screw on an already pummeled working class who are at unfeasibly high rent:income ratios as it is.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The main issue with banning foreign buyers from purchasing residential property is they can still buy citizenship for gently caress all money.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'll be honest, when I read it, my immediate hot take was that it's pointless pandering to the crowd that thinks our housing crisis is the result of the scary China man coming and stealing our houses.

Sure, this is one small piece in the puzzle and just the first step, but maybe the first piece should have been something a bit more sobering about how NZers hosed their own country instead of blaming it on dem foreigners.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The main issue with banning foreign buyers from purchasing residential property is they can still buy citizenship for gently caress all money.

I'm pretty sure labour has said they're getting rid of the investor residency categories too?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Foreign ownership is still a large issue to address even if the Chinese boogeyman is a small part of it. 450,000+ hectares went overseas last year. It's not just about homes in Auckland. I know there's a huge bank of land in the north that was bought up and is being transitioned to serve as a resort with golf course exclusively for foreign guests. When that land is sold the capital gains from it also go overseas.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

can we ban golf?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not without damaging our relationship with Trumperica.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

cool let's ban golf

Sing this Corrosion
Dec 27, 2007

THINK OF THEM AS LITTLE HORSES

Xik posted:

I'll be honest, when I read it, my immediate hot take was that it's pointless pandering to the crowd that thinks our housing crisis is the result of the scary China man coming and stealing our houses.

Sure, this is one small piece in the puzzle and just the first step, but maybe the first piece should have been something a bit more sobering about how NZers hosed their own country instead of blaming it on dem foreigners.

Not to say that the ban is necessarily justified, but at least once foreign ownership is off the table there'll be one less scapegoat to pin our problems on.
When nothing changes we'll be one step closer to having an honest look at whether some of it might be our own fault.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

can we ban golf?

But golf is cool and good. You can get a set of clubs for less than the cost of a decent pair of footy boots. The green fees at the local course are $5 a round to be left in an honesty box near the car park.
Institute a land tax proportional to the membership fees on each golf course.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Varkk posted:

But golf is cool and good. You can get a set of clubs for less than the cost of a decent pair of footy boots. The green fees at the local course are $5 a round to be left in an honesty box near the car park.
Institute a land tax proportional to the membership fees on each golf course.

Yeah, it should be noted that golf is loving cheap in NZ compared to the rest of the world, and is a great source of tourism dollars. To the point that for Japanese people, it is cheaper for them to fly here, play golf for 2 weeks with accomodation and food than what it is to even attempt to get a round in at home.

Quite a few clubs in Auckland struggle to make ends meet, but if they were clever they'd be creating and advertising tourist packages overseas and clipping the ticket on the way through.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

oohhboy posted:

Depends on the band. For your average pub band, doesn't matter. They're not making any money in the first place, let alone selling recordings for profit. For a touring tribute band (like The Pink Floyd Experience)? They'll have gotten the rights and they'll be paying royalties.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Yeah, it should be noted that golf is loving cheap in NZ compared to the rest of the world, and is a great source of tourism dollars. To the point that for Japanese people, it is cheaper for them to fly here, play golf for 2 weeks with accomodation and food than what it is to even attempt to get a round in at home.

QFT, and I've played golf in Japan. I'm very glad I wasn't paying for it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oh Christ, like Jacinda doesn't have enough creeps on her now

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Generally, if you're a guy and kinda new to this whole internet thing...

• Locked thread