Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
All we have to go on is the concept and the concept is a bad one with a long history of being executed poorly. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt and I'm not surprised that the kinds of people who are going to white knight for an entertainment megacorp with a production history that is spotty at best are the same ones who think that the idea is thought-provoking and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nobody in this thread is doing that, afaik.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I...don't agree with this at all.
No? I mean obviously there's a lot of problems with the "very fine people" stuff we have going on and people trying to dance ways around it or relabel it but that's because "Nazi=Bad" actually does kinda stick. And even if that's breaking down or only holding up superficially that wall is much thicker than "Confederacy=Bad" which is not only a point which will be openly, aggressively, and angrily argued by sitting politicians but which a whole lot of people flat out believe to be the opposite of the truth. We have generations of schools, politicians, communities, and monuments dedicated to honoring the Confederacy and making it very, very clear that "Confederacy=Good."

No matter how bad you think our "Nazi Problem" is its totally not the same as our "Confederacy Problem" (even though obvious there's a TON of cross section there).

This is essentially my point. If your criticism is that the D's wouldn't be able to handle the material well, I respect that, but that's an executional criticism that relies on the subject that's being criticized to exist before criticism can exist. If your criticism is that the D's shouldn't be allowed to handle the material at all, that's conceptual, and it's where I part ways.

Yeah, I'm not really taking a stance on whether or not they "should" do it. Like, there's a morally responsiblity question there but that's for them to ask themselves, not for me to demand. I just get why people are sketched out because I'm a little sketched out too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's becoming pretty clear that "Nazi's are bad" isn't an objective given truth to many Americans, unfortunately

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

precision posted:

It's becoming pretty clear that "Nazi's are bad" isn't an objective given truth to many Americans, unfortunately

Maybe, but if so that's still at least a wall being broken down (however strong it may have been in the first place) as opposed to the wall of "Confederates are bad" that has simply never existed in large parts of this country.

That and Man in the High Castle clearly predated a lot of this stuff, which goes back to the "bad timing" thing.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is that Law & Order true crime drama series good? How does it compare to People vs OJ or other shows of it's ilk?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Looten Plunder posted:

Is that Law & Order true crime drama series good? How does it compare to People vs OJ or other shows of it's ilk?

I've been wondering the same about that, the cast is killer so I should probably just check it out anyway.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

STAC Goat posted:

No? I mean obviously there's a lot of problems with the "very fine people" stuff we have going on and people trying to dance ways around it or relabel it but that's because "Nazi=Bad" actually does kinda stick.

I, sincerely, invite you to read the twitter comments on literally any ad Bethesda posts to promote Wolfenstein 2. And that's a fuckin' super capitalist publisher of a game that has, for time immemorial, been about Killing The gently caress Out of Nazis. And its ad campaign has focused solely and exclusively on advocating killing Nazis. And you still get comments like people saying that "peacefully advocating genocide" shouldn't be worthy of being killed over.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

read the twitter comments

Well there's your first mistake tbqh!!!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I, sincerely, invite you to read the twitter comments on literally any ad Bethesda posts to promote Wolfenstein 2. And that's a fuckin' super capitalist publisher of a game that has, for time immemorial, been about Killing The gently caress Out of Nazis. And its ad campaign has focused solely and exclusively on advocating killing Nazis. And you still get comments like people saying that "peacefully advocating genocide" shouldn't be worthy of being killed over.

I think we're getting into another conversation that I don't think either of us wants to have in the TVIV forum when we're talking about what Wolfenstein is clearly trying to evoke from their ad campaign and the sort of people who are responding negatively to it. For the record the ad campaign has been working for me because I'm considering checking it out despite never really being into shooting games.

But like, again... you're comparing internet comment boards about video games to like confederate flags flying at schools named after Confederate generals that teach "The War of Northern Aggression" in states where the Senator is a proud "Son of the Confederate". Its a different degree entirely.

Like the Republican candidate for governor in Virginia is openly running as pro-Confederacy and the POTUS is endorsing him as someone who will preserve Confederacy history and monuments. Find me the parallel for that with Nazis.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 27, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DivisionPost posted:

Hey remember when we were talking about Riverdale and somebody said it wasn’t as crazy this year and I thought that was nonsense? Well here’s a thing from 203 that I refuse to give context for.

My great relief about Riverdale this year is that thus far is that it IS just as bugnut crazy as it was in the spring. The 22 episode order has not slowed down the pacing or how ridiculous the plot developments are. "Archie films an ISIS video because his girlfriend's dad convinces him terrorism is kind of effective" is exactly the kind of dumb escalation I'm tuning in for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JethroMcB posted:

Cool now can somebody involved with Confederate get busted groping someone

:discourse:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't like the first two episodes of Gotham but I've heard it gets better. Should I just slug through it or is there a point where I can jump in where it gets better and I haven't missed too much?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Blindspot returns on NBC tonight.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

GobiasIndustries posted:

I didn't like the first two episodes of Gotham but I've heard it gets better. Should I just slug through it or is there a point where I can jump in where it gets better and I haven't missed too much?

In all honesty, Gotham takes a little while to get its footing. But I promise you, it eventually does and it’s a fun show (IMO) full of goofy Batman poo poo. The two guys who play Riddler and Penguin are the best characters on the show. Same goes for Donal Logue as Det. Harvey Bullock.

Young Bruce starts off as a whiny lil’ poo poo, but he’s been maturing into proto-Batman as of late.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's worth watching all of Gotham.

The entire thing's as camper than a row of tents, though the earlier episodes are a bit more granular in order to create a contrast. But even those early episodes frequently take the piss -- you just watched the episode where the flamingly camp Penguin locked a frat boy in a closet, right? And then there's just _everything_ about Fish Mooney, the upcoming Balloonman episode, Gordon's singlehanded attempt to arrest Gotham's political elite, the first Arkham Asylum episode... it's frequently a comedy more than it is a drama, though -- like all good camp -- you're still meant to give a poo poo about its characters.

Also the show frequently reinvents its cast, so certain less enjoyable members tend to go through absolutely amazing, and totally ridiculous, character arcs. It's worth not spoiling yourself for that alone.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Villain Costco is in the first season!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Stranger Things is delivering so far, aw yiss.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

esperterra posted:

Stranger Things is delivering so far, aw yiss.

Sean Astin is hilarious in it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Mostly I think its just a case of bad timing. If Hillary Clinton was the President this wouldn't be a thing. If it had happened a year before the Confederate flags started coming down it wouldn't be a thing. They're running the Confederacy show right in the middle of a time when people are really passionate on both sides and like people have actually died over it. So it comes off a little sketchy, and borderline opportunistic.

I think that if either Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders had been president the neo-Nazis would be just as much a problem. They wouldn't have the president apologising for them, no, but they would have the ready-made "Trump robbed by rigged system" narrative, Trump would've stuck around and fired them up, and there probably wouldn't be the same degree of mobilisation against them - more people oppose Trump than support Democrats of any stripe.

Edit: lol tv chat

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

STRANGER THINGS SEASON 2! NEVER SLEEP AGAIN!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still haven't gotten around to Stranger Things. I haven't seen season one.

I assume it's not aping slasher movies; what would be the main comparisons for it? What is it most similar to?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was supposed to have Friday off and I'm seriously debating still watching it all anyway. Who needs sleep???

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wheat Loaf posted:

I assume it's not aping slasher movies; what would be the main comparisons for it? What is it most similar to?

Super 8 and ET

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Imagine if........gently caress i don't know. it's good just watch it.

It's got cool kids and a creepy vibe. Winona Ryder's triumphant return too.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's extremely 80s, kinda like ET mashed up with horror movies, and some D&D mixed in, mostly focusing on a fantastic cast of child actors.

Really, just watch it, the first season is 8 eps and it's real real good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

Super 8 and ET

This and huge doses of influence from like Silent Hill.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

John Carpenter and Stephen King are a huge influence

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's extremely 80s, kinda like ET mashed up with horror movies, and some D&D mixed in, mostly focusing on a fantastic cast of child actors.

Really, just watch it, the first season is 8 eps and it's real real good.

I don't think it's that good. I like the characters but not the story.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think it's that good. I like the characters but not the story.

:shrug: ok

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Wheat Loaf, watch Lost instead it has a great ending

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Ha! Hey guys, he's doing that thing again...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I am sure it's not as good as Dexters

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I unironically think LOST has a great ending. Waiting for it to all be out and binging it may have helped.

e: oh Akira is another clear influence on ST.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was going to watch Stranger Things this weekend but unfortunately Netflix really hosed up and released on the same weekend as a new Mario game, which is one of the only video games I play. So I guess Stranger Things is being postponed to next weekend.

The next 12 hours of waiting is going to be the worst.

X-O fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 27, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

X-O posted:

I was going to watch Stranger Things this weekend but unfortunately Netflix really hosed up and released on the same weekend as a new Mario game, which is one of the only video games I play. So I guess Stranger Things is being postponed to next weekend.

The next 12 hours of waiting is going to be the worst.
I mean, you could watch Stranger Things while waiting for Mario...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman posted:

I mean, you could watch Stranger Things while waiting for Mario...

Well today is still a Friday therefore there is still work. Unfortunately my job doesn’t have designated bingewatching breaks.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am already 200GB over the 1TB Comcast data cap. Streaming 4K + using PS Vue for everything else racks up the data. So I have to hold off on Stranger Things until the first of the month. Right now I am only watching one episode of a show a night (Mr. Robot last night, Mindhunter the night before). It sucks, but I am reading more at night now.

It looks like I am going to have to leave PS Vue for the new Comcast instant streaming service (it doesn't count against your cap), but at this time it doesn't have an AppleTV app. That or I could get WOW internet with no datacaps. I just don't trust WOW.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw that Olivia Colman to take over as QE2 in The Crown next. Not unexpected seeing as she is in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Some more details have emerged about Lin-Manuel Miranda's adaptation of the fantasy novel series The Kingkiller Chronicles. Its going to air on Showtime and will not actually be a straight adaptation of the novels but a prequel set in the same universe. So divorced from the terrible main character of the series it might actually be watchable.

:psyduck:

Why on earth? There was absolutely nothing interesting or original about that setting aside from how utterly poo poo the self insert main character is.

• Locked thread