Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Mithross posted:

Congrats! I heartily recommend going to try and get the gigas armlet from ff2 renewal, it might be a stretch but it is a great accessory.

Agreed, congrats! The game just keeps giving you plateaus so keep fighting for it.

Bouncing off the Gigas Armlet recommendation, here's a list of all the good things in the Renewal dungeons:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/784gba/renewal_dungeons_complete_ability_accessory_guide/

You'll definitely want to pick and choose the best poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Pulled on FF8 since I'm still in need of ice and Earth stuff. 1/11.... Edea BSB. I'll take it!

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
3/11, Ward SSB, Kiros SSB/BSB.

Kiros ain't bad seemin so far, can't argue with more VoF-boost options, even if it lacks hastega.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

More reports from the XV renewal pulls, 2/11 Noctis and Gladio OSB. Now I have every Noctis relic... except his SSB and LMR. :v:

Also if the renewal banners have taught me anything it's that I need to stop dollar drawing. Pretty sure I'm like 0/22 at this point.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I already have a fully forged 8++ iris bsb so I will not be pulling on the XV renewal banner

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Mithross posted:

I feel like Edea's USB needs to work on black or her BSB should be changed to witch, otherwise it's just not really worth it. Too many hones for not enough damage compared to other USBs

I think the big problem is her legendary dive is pretty lackluster. If she had LM2 double cast BLK (and especially if it could proc off either of the USB's double cast), this USB would be great as is. Unfortunately, while it has potential, it'll take a poo poo ton of resources to make strong. If they ever buff the witch abilities though, it could be really strong.

Anyway, it's not THAT bad. If you focus exclusively on the 4* witch spell, it's basically a drat near guaranteed 40k damage per turn with fast cast time, basically equal to a good BSB. The 4*s don't use that many resources either (you could do two slots of it). So if you're in dire need of any Ice relics, it's not that bad. Plus you couldprobably chain it into itself for a respectable opening damager under en-ice.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mithross posted:

I feel like Edea's USB needs to work on black or her BSB should be changed to witch, otherwise it's just not really worth it. Too many hones for not enough damage compared to other USBs

I'm not sure what changing her BSB to Witch would do, since IIRC the 'use two ability uses for two casts' abilities don't work on BSB commands.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

I think the big problem is her legendary dive is pretty lackluster. If she had LM2 double cast BLK (and especially if it could proc off either of the USB's double cast), this USB would be great as is. Unfortunately, while it has potential, it'll take a poo poo ton of resources to make strong. If they ever buff the witch abilities though, it could be really strong.

Anyway, it's not THAT bad. If you focus exclusively on the 4* witch spell, it's basically a drat near guaranteed 40k damage per turn with fast cast time, basically equal to a good BSB. The 4*s don't use that many resources either (you could do two slots of it). So if you're in dire need of any Ice relics, it's not that bad. Plus you couldprobably chain it into itself for a respectable opening damager under en-ice.

This is a good idea. I maxed out the 4* ice witch for fenrir and had the 5* one at like 6 uses which also becomes 3 uses sooo

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is Noct's SSB worth bringing for magicite dungeons if I've also go Ramza's USB? It seems like party instant cast 1 + buffs is better than Noct's, but I'm not sure if Noct's SSB entry hits being instant cast also makes a big difference.

I would feel a little silly for chasing this SSB if Ramza's is just flat-out better, but at least I didn't spend much mythril if so.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is Noct's SSB worth bringing for magicite dungeons if I've also go Ramza's USB? It seems like party instant cast 1 + buffs is better than Noct's, but I'm not sure if Noct's SSB entry hits being instant cast also makes a big difference.

I would feel a little silly for chasing this SSB if Ramza's is just flat-out better, but at least I didn't spend much mythril if so.

Noct is the worse buff (obviously), but it is a faster way to spam instant actions. A lot of the power also comes from Noctis' dive, where he gets one of those 3 Instant Action + Haste openers. That basically makes Noct poo poo out instant actions to the entire party faster than anyone else.

So really, I'd say the do different things and don't directly compete. They do supplement each nicely, though.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Should I be pulling on any current banners if I really need hastega/boostega/faithga relics? It doesn't look like it. Still fairly new and don't have any of those.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Where Noctis SSB really shines is Jump Start fights. Hooooooooly poo poo.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Books On Tape posted:

Should I be pulling on any current banners if I really need hastega/boostega/faithga relics? It doesn't look like it. Still fairly new and don't have any of those.

The Brass-de-Bravo banner headlined by Edward and Mog is chock full of various party buff relics, actually.

Edward's ultra soul break is a magic focused Faithga/Hastega
Mog's USB is Boostga/Faithga combo, though with no haste.
Eiko burst soul break is a party wide crit chance boost
Cait Sith BSB is a Boostga sans haste
Edward BSB is a Boostga sans haste
Onion BSB is a Boostga/Faithga/Hastega triple whammy

Basically it's a really good banner for this stuff, though the bottom three SSB's are a tad meh.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Where Noctis SSB really shines is Jump Start fights. Hooooooooly poo poo.

I use Noct SSB, Relm USB, and if I can fit it into the party Raijin SSB.

then two people hitting the weakness with cloud USB. Relm USB and Raijin SSB combine heals and last stand to keep folks alive while the murdering happens so loving fast.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Was zero for 14 on renewal dolla pulls until this morning. Got a pep talk, :woop:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Insert obligatory complaint about bad dollar draws here, since that seems to be helping everyone else

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

I've honed my shadow dragon strat enough to say it's a 100% guaranteed sub 30 win as long as I don't entrust Ramza with Ramza or something.

I'll share a detailed strat and maybe it'll be useful to someone. It's similar to what I originally did though. It seems to work with both Agrias and the other Cid.

Raines, +30 weakness, memento mori
Agrias/Orlandeau, +40 knight, divine cross and guardbringer
Yshtola, Gathering Storm, Curada and Armor Breakdown
Rikku (sacrifice), DMT, multibreak and powerchain
Ramza, MM, entrustwrath

Mist Dragon, Fabula Guardian
Both DPS have two + holy relics

SBs used:
Raines BSB, OSB, OSB, OSB
Agrias/Cid OSB
Rikku USB

Or

Raines BSB, OSB, OSB
Agrias/Orlandeau OSB, OSB
Rikku USB

There's no reliance on any kind of RNG or procs.

Turn 1:
Raines Memento Mori
Agrias/Cid DC
Ysh Armor Breakdown
Rikku USB
Ramza entrust Raines

Turn 2:
Raines BSB
Agrias/Cid GB every turn except if OSB available
Ysh Curada if Rikku wasn't punched otherwise RW wall
Rikku powerchain self
Ramza wrath

Turn 3:
Raines CMD1
Ysh Wall if not cast yet, otherwise wait to magicite
Rikku multibreak
Ramza wrath

Rikku dies to Black Fang

Raines spams CMD1 and powerchains out his OSB when available. Ramza entrusts only Raines (or the knight once, that works too).
Ysh heals with Curada.

I could replace Ysh with a healer that does something useful like Yuna, Porom or Relm but there's not really a reason to for me. But there might be for some of you to replace Rikku USB or something, I feel like there's a lot of leeway despite me using super powerful relics for this.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

djfooboo posted:

Was zero for 14 on renewal dolla pulls until this morning. Got a pep talk, :woop:

I'm 0/15. And apparently I've been around long enough to have cleared out all the myth from the dungeons too, so I don't even have that as a fallback reward.

Add in the 0/2 for the FFII dollar draws, 0/1 for Bra*Bra, and 0/1 for the FFVIII pull, and I'm really riding some bad luck since fest :(

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I was weak and pulled on the ff8 banner a third time because I really wanted Edea's BSB. I got Laguna's USB and Anchorman's BSB. I now have everything BUT Edea's BSB!
I tried hitting Fenrir with Rinoa's BSB2 and it just doesn't do that much damage. Edea's USB has some potential but as was mentioned, it chews through hones like crazy. Also the 5* witch spells are terrible. Sure, it's five hits, but the multilplier is so low it barely does more than the 4*skill against Fenrir.

There's going to be another torment dungeon with spellblade motes, right? Because I also have Squall's USB but no BSB, but I don't have the motes to give him Snowspell Strike.

I just want to murder this dumb wolf.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pander posted:

I'm 0/15. And apparently I've been around long enough to have cleared out all the myth from the dungeons too, so I don't even have that as a fallback reward.

Add in the 0/2 for the FFII dollar draws, 0/1 for Bra*Bra, and 0/1 for the FFVIII pull, and I'm really riding some bad luck since fest :(

Still sitting at 0/11 on BRA * BRA. fight me

(No seriously, that sucks, hope your dollar draws improve!)

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I was weak and pulled on the ff8 banner a third time because I really wanted Edea's BSB. I got Laguna's USB and Anchorman's BSB. I now have everything BUT Edea's BSB!
I tried hitting Fenrir with Rinoa's BSB2 and it just doesn't do that much damage. Edea's USB has some potential but as was mentioned, it chews through hones like crazy. Also the 5* witch spells are terrible. Sure, it's five hits, but the multilplier is so low it barely does more than the 4*skill against Fenrir.

There's going to be another torment dungeon with spellblade motes, right? Because I also have Squall's USB but no BSB, but I don't have the motes to give him Snowspell Strike.

Well, you should be able to murder him just fine with Laguna and Rinoa. Honestly, even just Rinoa BSB and Edea spamming the 4* with USB should be able to kill Fenrir pretty reliably.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The 5* witch ice spell is pretty rad when coupled with Lulu USB. It throws out about 30k per hit on Fenrir for me, which is even nicer when double-cast ice procs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Me: What the hell, I got all my finances in order until payday next week let's do something stupid because I want a thing for the big bara buff boy Ward

Well the current conversation just got extremely relevant to me. :confuoot:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

iamsosmrt posted:

I think you're slightly overselling the 4* witch abilities, unless your Mag is truly buffed to the goddamn stratosphere. The 4* witch abilities are SUPER weak. Compare potencies:

3* black magic: 490
4* witch: 520
4* black: 900
5* black: 1180

The 4* witch spells are only marginally stronger than the 3* black magic spells. They're barely more than half a strong as 4* black magic, and honestly I hope you're not relying on 4* black magic for real damage against magicites. So even under Enice/Enthunder, the witch abilites have a 7.8 potency, which is still significantly weaker than 4* black. Getting a "guaranteed" 20,000 out of the equivalent of a 3* spell against a magicite boss is, uh, far from guaranteed.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 27, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well that explains why edea isn’t doing so hot against fenrir

I wasted all my greater ice orbs gently caress

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have probably 100-150 mithril left in the renewals and i am at 300 now. i keep waffling because my only ice thing is a squall 6* overstrike i think? and i wanna pull on the ff8 banner and i am like "350-400 mithril is fine for the upcoming stuff"

BUT WHAT IF IT ISNT :ohdear:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
My 5* witch spells are r3 each, which feel insufficient for either Edea or Shantotto's USB, especially when I'd be assured more bang for my dark orb buck honing the 5* ninja spells for Edge (eventually Yuffie?) and Shadow.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I've got some mythril to burn, any of the current banners worth pulling on for a lark? I have weak synergy on FF2, FF9, FF12, and FF15.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If you're bad off on II synergy, the current II banners are pretty good and nows the time to pull since the next II event wont be for 6 months (JP only just got the latest II event just now).

Banner 1 Highlights:

Minwu's Ultra is pretty drat ridiculous for just All The Healing Forever. Instant Curaga Medica + HP Stock 2000 + Stoneskin 30% is just absurd and will brute force a lot of high damage fights.
Gordon's Ultra isn't as remarkable but is very much a good support workhorse of a USB. 6x AoE Fire/Non Damage + ATK/MAG/MND -50% Breakdown + Party Hastega/High Regen.

Scott is a pretty respectable spellblade with a fire focus, boasting a BSB akin to Bartz' later bursts and an SSB that has a 40% medica attached.
Ricard gets a Wind version of Aranea's BSB (although technically it's the original, we got the XV event pushed up ahead of schedule) which gets No Air Time and Dragoon Damage Up commands.

Banner 2 Highlights:

Emperor USB is a very solid Earth Imperil sporting an ATK/MAG/RES -50% Breakdown attached.
Leon USB super boosts his ability to pump out Darkness damage by giving a Darkness Damage Up and HP Stock 6000 (to pay for those Darkness ability costs).

Josef's BSB is an ice version of Master and Yang's BSBs, meaning it's pretty good. Also has ATK/MAG 30% attached for good measure.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Music event banner is very good.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

I think you're slightly overselling the 4* witch abilities, unless your Mag is truly buffed to the goddamn stratosphere. The 4* witch abilities are SUPER weak. Compare potencies:

3* black magic: 490
4* witch: 520
4* black: 900
5* black: 1180

The 4* witch spells are only marginally stronger than the 3* black magic spells. They're barely more than half a strong as 4* black magic, and honestly I hope you're not relying on 4* black magic for real damage against magicites. So even under Enice/Enthunder, the witch abilites have a 7.8 potency, which is still significantly weaker than 4* black. Getting a "guaranteed" 20,000 out of the equivalent of a 3* spell against a magicite boss is, uh, far from guaranteed.

This is true but remember that potency is not the only thing that matters. The witch spells also reduce the cast time of the next one so you have a higher frequency of attacking. In the specific case of Fenrir the more frequent attacks hitting a weakness builds meter towards BSB faster so there's that too.

I'm not saying to use witch spells over black magic always, but I certainly don't have the spare orbs laying around to craft and hone a second copy of Chain Blizzaga. My witch spells are fine.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is true but remember that potency is not the only thing that matters. The witch spells also reduce the cast time of the next one so you have a higher frequency of attacking. In the specific case of Fenrir the more frequent attacks hitting a weakness builds meter towards BSB faster so there's that too.

I'm not saying to use witch spells over black magic always, but I certainly don't have the spare orbs laying around to craft and hone a second copy of Chain Blizzaga. My witch spells are fine.

Oh, I agree that they're decent for building gauge against ice/lightning weak bosses. But claiming you can get a near guaranteed 20k per cast out of them plus short charge is not realistic.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh, I agree that they're decent for building gauge against ice/lightning weak bosses. But claiming you can get a near guaranteed 20k per cast out of them plus short charge is not realistic.

I only have Shantotto for Hydra (not legend dived) so I guess it's not quite the same, but the en-ice plus like 2 buffs (and Wendigo imperil) should get it pretty close, but if not, I'm sorry. Guess my guarantee isn't worth as much as I thought.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

iamsosmrt posted:

I only have Shantotto for Hydra (not legend dived) so I guess it's not quite the same, but the en-ice plus like 2 buffs (and Wendigo imperil) should get it pretty close, but if not, I'm sorry. Guess my guarantee isn't worth as much as I thought.
You use Shantotto against Hydra?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

You use Shantotto against Hydra?

Sorry, I meant Bismarck. Bleh. Just got out of a meeting.

edit: Actually, I also realize I have some pretty good lightning boost gear, so that could be skewing my experience. Sorry if that messed up some orb planning.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 27, 2017

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I've gone 4/33 on the bra bra banner and two of those were Cait's trumpet but my final pull got me the bsb for onion boi :unsmith:

How many mithril should I have socked away for the next fest? I wasn't going to spend any until then but the bra bra banner looked really good

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Flavahbeast posted:

I've gone 4/33 on the bra bra banner and two of those were Cait's trumpet but my final pull got me the bsb for onion boi :unsmith:

How many mithril should I have socked away for the next fest? I wasn't going to spend any until then but the bra bra banner looked really good

We don't know because we don't know what the next fest is for sure.

But you might want a couple pulls on ffta and OK before then.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
2/11 on XV renewal with Noctis BSB and Glad LMR. Oh well swing and a miss - moving on!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

Noct is the worse buff (obviously), but it is a faster way to spam instant actions. A lot of the power also comes from Noctis' dive, where he gets one of those 3 Instant Action + Haste openers. That basically makes Noct poo poo out instant actions to the entire party faster than anyone else.

So really, I'd say the do different things and don't directly compete. They do supplement each nicely, though.

Ramza + his LMR and USB will be not quite as good at making GBS threads out instant casts (since later casts will have the usual SB charge time) but will be a good opener if you don't have Noct SSB.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Or just make them...fun. The rewards aren't anything special anyway, just make cool iconic bosses and let everyone show off their SBs and stuff, what the hell is the point if the strategy for any fight that is actually challenging is "do it solo because the netcode is so terrible that multiplayer becomes torture".

Fun things don't sell as many impulse pulls as frustrating things.

Fights that are easily handled on the first try give players fewer chances to waggle their e-peen.

We're never going to get netcode tweaks. If anything, it'll get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Ramza + his LMR and USB will be not quite as good at making GBS threads out instant casts (since later casts will have the usual SB charge time) but will be a good opener if you don't have Noct SSB.

Noctis' SSB doesn't have casting time, but it'll take at least 3 Lifesiphons to get a full SB bar between each casting. The first can be instant, but the next two take full charge time. Meanwhile, Ramza can wrath, and it only takes 2 wraths for a full SB bar, the first of which is instant. I don't feel like working out which is really faster all added up, but it's probably is pretty close between:

Wrath, wrath, full cast USB, wrath(instant), wrath, full cast USB, etc.
and
Lifesiphon, Lifesiphon, lifesiphon, instant SSB, lifesipon (instant), lifesiphon, lifesiphon, instant SSB

• Locked thread