Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/silveryyy/status/922840119890952192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Only a man like Go Onizuka could pull of making a heel turn and a face turn in the same match. That's why he's the best sports entertainer in the business!

Also, very glad that it's my guy Go who is managing to finally get the team together by being the coolest and the best.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Huh, I figured they were going in the direction of making Go's win making the whole Another problem worse by essentially making it a rallying cry for a bunch of scrub duellists to fight the KoH and end up comatose.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So, I ended up watching/listening to a whole bunch of the Twitch marathon, because that is some premium background noise right there, and while Twitch chat is garbage, dumb chat jokes are an excellent variety of garbage to accompany the dumber parts of that series (which is all of them, especially in the dub).

Duelist Kingdom is... well, pretty terrible, mostly because the game operates on moon logic the entire time. Use my Catapult Turtle to destroy your Castle of Dark Illusions' Flight Ring to crash it into all of your monsters, and whatnot. Also, when there's only 2000 LP per player, things really don't make sense because logically people should die super fast. Still, it's fine, it's early, they're working out the kinks, and Pegasus is a great villain. It wasn't actually until this marathon that I learned that Pegasus *doesn't* just get straight-up killed when Bakura takes the Eye. I think my only real complaint is that characters get saddled with garbage signature cards in this season, and it carries through the entire rest of the series.

Battle City is actually quite good! Sure, they're still only playing with 4000 LP, but suddenly rules mostly make sense, and cards actually do what they're supposed to, and that makes things a *lot* more interesting. Sure, people still topdeck cards that you'll never, ever see again that are exactly the right thing for that one scenario, or a duel needs setup with cheating extra cards into your opponent's decks, but they're still real cards doing mostly real things. Yugi vs. Strings is a really fun conclusion, and things are generally creative. Even the filler is good, either giving us Duke Devlin (who is the best), or just being a somewhat interesting ruleset variant, even if the whole Virtual World thing is the most obvious filler ever. Kaiba gets to Kaiba, Marik is a great villain, life is good.

The... I forget what the Orichalcos season is called. Awakening the Dragons, or something? Things go downhill really goddamn hard here. The single bright point here is Raphael, playing a real archetype with real cards and rusing the poo poo out of Atem (why would you play the Seal there was literally nothing at stake you dipshit). Otherwise you have the Seal which is fake and also does way too much dumb bullshit, Guy-Who-Hates-Kaiba using fake cards (that are at least mildly interesting), Valon using an entirely fake archetype for the dumbest duel of all time (featuring cards never seen before or since from Joey), Mai's voice actor being replaced with a worse voice actor, Kaiba being incredibly incredulous, and, of course, the horrible trend of "Use cards to summon real monsters to fight other monsters with no rules involved and no this will never not be awful and you'll see more and more if it".

The Grand Championship is dumb filler devoid of likable characters and also Mokuba starts smoking like a million cigarettes because his voice changes for the worse. Capsule Monsters is *turbo* garbage.

The last arc is... well, just read that sentence about "Using cards to summon real monsters to fight other real monsters" about twenty times and you'll have my feelings on this one. At least the final Atem vs. Yugi duel is really good.

Basically, my takeaways were that it's way better when it's actually about the card game, and also that it makes a lot of sense that everyone plays broken draw spells, because it makes things way easier to write when characters have more cards available.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Valon and Joey's duel owns actually because they punch each other.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Pot of Greed, Coins from Heaven, and Life-Shaving Treasure were the best thing to happen to later Duel Monsters.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And for the record, the Seal of Orichalcos is real now!

It still doesn't absorbs the soul of the loser player though :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

Pot of Greed, Coins from Heaven, and Life-Shaving Treasure were the best thing to happen to later Duel Monsters.

I'm sorry, I forgot, what did Pot of Greed do?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm sorry, I forgot, what did Pot of Greed do?

Allows the player two sequential shots from the firing box!

Also this.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 8, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kaiba aged very well in being a delightful toxic person with the best insults.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man how have I never noticed this? Also Bakura's dub voice is a lot better.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion, but I really like Bakura's Japanese voice. She acts the poo poo out of scenes she's in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZHLtiINOc0

Also, more good subtitling.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hjalmar posted:

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion, but I really like Bakura's Japanese voice. She acts the poo poo out of scenes she's in.

Agreed.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Man how have I never noticed this? Also Bakura's dub voice is a lot better.

It's not the sort of thing that stands out until you binge episodes. It is funny that while these people all loving love not telling their opponent what their cards do, they're all very fastidious about explaining Pot of Greed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lowlight was all the sudden voice changes. Mai's voice in the Orichalchos arc was awful, I don't know why her replacement went full 1880's southern bell.

Highlight was Kaiba in the final episode against Zork, yelling that he's not afraid of holograms.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's not the sort of thing that stands out until you binge episodes. It is funny that while these people all loving love not telling their opponent what their cards do, they're all very fastidious about explaining Pot of Greed.

They always tell them what the cards do, just only when it's effect activates,

Which makes conditional effects and traps really powerful.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tae posted:

Lowlight was all the sudden voice changes. Mai's voice in the Orichalchos arc was awful, I don't know why her replacement went full 1880's southern bell.

Highlight was Kaiba in the final episode against Zork, yelling that he's not afraid of holograms.

I like Kaiba telling Zork he doesn't like bullies more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Seto sticking to his gimmick all the way to the bitter end is why he owns.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

They always tell them what the cards do, just only when it's effect activates,

Which makes conditional effects and traps really powerful.

There's an episode in Arc V where Yuya checks an opponent's monster card effect and that was the only time it has ever happened.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

At least once in Vrains (maybe more) characters have liked looked at monster effects before they activate and I was very impressed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The best is still Joey using his claw card in the filler season and having no idea what it did until Yugi figured it out.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

this but literally the exact opposite, i love the dumb anime moon logic in early yu-gi-oh it makes it feel like they actually are playing some dumb egyptian magic duel game

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tae posted:

I didn't hear any southern bell in the new voice, she sounded like Fran Drescher

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Elfgames posted:

this but literally the exact opposite, i love the dumb anime moon logic in early yu-gi-oh it makes it feel like they actually are playing some dumb egyptian magic duel game

DK owns because it's essentially Pegasus putting a bunch of hologram judges to DM a 1v1 Dungeons and Dragons game between two pissed tweens, and the DM/Holograms' judgement is "gently caress it, why not" to everything.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Lord of Hats posted:

So, I ended up watching/listening to a whole bunch of the Twitch marathon, because that is some premium background noise right there, and while Twitch chat is garbage, dumb chat jokes are an excellent variety of garbage to accompany the dumber parts of that series (which is all of them, especially in the dub).

Duelist Kingdom is... well, pretty terrible, mostly because the game operates on moon logic the entire time. Use my Catapult Turtle to destroy your Castle of Dark Illusions' Flight Ring to crash it into all of your monsters, and whatnot. Also, when there's only 2000 LP per player, things really don't make sense because logically people should die super fast. Still, it's fine, it's early, they're working out the kinks, and Pegasus is a great villain. It wasn't actually until this marathon that I learned that Pegasus *doesn't* just get straight-up killed when Bakura takes the Eye. I think my only real complaint is that characters get saddled with garbage signature cards in this season, and it carries through the entire rest of the series.

Battle City is actually quite good! Sure, they're still only playing with 4000 LP, but suddenly rules mostly make sense, and cards actually do what they're supposed to, and that makes things a *lot* more interesting. Sure, people still topdeck cards that you'll never, ever see again that are exactly the right thing for that one scenario, or a duel needs setup with cheating extra cards into your opponent's decks, but they're still real cards doing mostly real things. Yugi vs. Strings is a really fun conclusion, and things are generally creative. Even the filler is good, either giving us Duke Devlin (who is the best), or just being a somewhat interesting ruleset variant, even if the whole Virtual World thing is the most obvious filler ever. Kaiba gets to Kaiba, Marik is a great villain, life is good.

The... I forget what the Orichalcos season is called. Awakening the Dragons, or something? Things go downhill really goddamn hard here. The single bright point here is Raphael, playing a real archetype with real cards and rusing the poo poo out of Atem (why would you play the Seal there was literally nothing at stake you dipshit). Otherwise you have the Seal which is fake and also does way too much dumb bullshit, Guy-Who-Hates-Kaiba using fake cards (that are at least mildly interesting), Valon using an entirely fake archetype for the dumbest duel of all time (featuring cards never seen before or since from Joey), Mai's voice actor being replaced with a worse voice actor, Kaiba being incredibly incredulous, and, of course, the horrible trend of "Use cards to summon real monsters to fight other monsters with no rules involved and no this will never not be awful and you'll see more and more if it".

The Grand Championship is dumb filler devoid of likable characters and also Mokuba starts smoking like a million cigarettes because his voice changes for the worse. Capsule Monsters is *turbo* garbage.

The last arc is... well, just read that sentence about "Using cards to summon real monsters to fight other real monsters" about twenty times and you'll have my feelings on this one. At least the final Atem vs. Yugi duel is really good.

Basically, my takeaways were that it's way better when it's actually about the card game, and also that it makes a lot of sense that everyone plays broken draw spells, because it makes things way easier to write when characters have more cards available.

The Grand Championship is such a boring arc. It's a tournament filler arc (always a good indication of quality) with the climatic duel ending with the brat we never see again refusing to use a card and it's following an awful filler arc with nothing engaging about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Grand Championship is bad because Joey's the best and coolest character but he's written like a big dumb rookie who doesn't know how cards work.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Grand Championship is bad because Joey's the best and coolest character but he's written like a big dumb rookie who doesn't know how cards work.

That too. Joey is consistently a finalist in the tournaments and he's back to needing everything explained to him. No respect when he almost beat Evil Marik and only lost due to passing out

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He also loses by getting unlucky!? Did they think they were breaking new ground there?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
grand championship is bad, but it has kaiba vs. zigfried, which owns seeing just how badly kaiba clowns on this fool

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Raserys posted:

grand championship is bad, but it has kaiba vs. zigfried, which owns seeing just how badly kaiba clowns on this fool

That one is one of my favorite duels in the franchise. Dub Kaiba is so insanely quotable there, it's hilarious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Joey wins like 90% of his games due to rng cards, it's only fair

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Tae posted:

Yeah it's why I laugh at the idea of him being the "real" strongest duelist. A guy with a weighted coin can do as well as he does most of the time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

To be fair most of the characters win 90% of the time to rng draws.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

MONSTA CARDO
MONSTA CARDO
MONSTA CARDO

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah but Joey throws another layer on top of that.

Which is ballsy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but Joey throws another layer on top of that.

Which is ballsy.

That's why he's so powerful. He ain't got the magic powers or the rare cards so he has to trust his deck like twice as hard, and just trusting your cards in general is of course a high level yugioh skill that only the professionals can perform. So it's pretty impressive.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Joey is the best duelist of the protagonists, Kaiba predicted like a tiny minuscule chance to beat Marik based on having Fiend Sanctuary and the two remaining Gods. Joey, with literally none of the resources Kaiba was convinced were NEEDED to even stand a chance, would have won if he had physically been able to declare an attack. To the point that, in the manga at least, the evil Marik is so rattled by the fact that he almost, legitimately lost, that he winds up throwing up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

corn in the bible posted:

MONSTA CARDO
MONSTA CARDO
MONSTA CARDO

Meh. Atem only needed like one or two monsters off the top to actually beat Haga. Of course, we wouldn’t get the meme if that was they case.

Also, Angel’s Dice was loving broken in a game with only 4000lp. Jounouchi just has a super weak baseline of monsters to use it with.

Also, Dark Malik throws up in the anime, too. It just doesn’t show it directly.

Also, Jounouchi was only cool dueling Malik and Valon.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Joey is just a normal dude competing with gods and wizards and people pretending to be psychic and he does pretty well for himself. He's like if Krillin almost beat Freeza without actually being any stronger, then went on to hold his own against Cell and Buu through a combination of luck and strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Didn't Joey beat Yugi canonically, and that's how he got his red eyes black dragon back? Or was that a filler thing