Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Guyver posted:

It's probably hard to hold sway over a continent whose main factions are armored flying bug riders with incendiary munitions, super human masked samurai and a cabal of demon sorcerers. And Kruppe.

Kruppe is the best. Tehol Beddict is a close second.

In fact, the entire series should have just been a conversation between these two characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

In fact, the entire series should have just been a conversation between these two characters.

With the debate commentator being I. Pust, and MULE as the color/useful info commentator.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

[quote="“ZombieLenin”" post="“477349136”"]

[/quote]

Who says it isn't?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Guyver posted:

... armored flying bug riders with incendiary munitions...

Every time I read something like this I wonder how Erickson manages to make something so over the top so drat cool.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Wrong continent, wrong book.
That says something about the memorability of Assail as well.

what continent is Ardetta on then?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I thought she was on Jacuruku

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

"pastries and blankets" I think we found the title

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Erikson has announced that he is writing a new SciFi novel, this time a serious one:

https://www.gollancz.co.uk/2017/10/gollancz-acquire-steven-ericksons-rejoice-knife-heart/

quote:

Rejoice, A Knife to the Heart tells the story of the Intervention, which begins when Samantha August, science fiction writer, disappears into a beam of light, apparently from a UFO, while walking along a busy street in Victoria, Canada. While footage of the incident – captured on smartphones – goes viral, Samantha wakes up in a small room, where she is greeted by the voice of Adam, who explains that they are in orbit and he is AI communicant of the Intervention Delegation, a triumvirate of alien civilisations seeking to ensure the continuing evolution of Earth as a viable biome. Thus begins an astonishing, provocative, beautifully written and startlingly visionary novel of First Contact.

Steven Erikson said: ‘I am delighted to be with Gollancz as I venture once more into the SF market (this time on a serious note), beginning with my First Contact novel, Rejoice, a Knife to the Heart. I look forward to this new chapter in my writing career and working with the terrific team at Gollancz.’

Marcus Gipps said: ‘I’ve admired Steven’s excellent fantasy series for years now, and was thrilled to receive this page-turning yet thoughtful science fiction novel. I love First Contact narratives, and this adds much to the genre – not least a chillingly plausible alien sense of what the human race needs next. We’re thrilled to welcome Steven to the Gollancz list.’

We are all gonna be grandpas by the time we get the Karsa trilogy.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 15, 2017

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

Karsa conquering the world

BraveJoe fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 16, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Urgh, got my hopes up for an Erikson space opera.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Urgh, got my hopes up for an Erikson space opera.

give us some malazan marines in space please

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

BraveJoe posted:

give us some malazan marines in space please

Please please don't Mr. Erikson.
Whatever publisher does the Warhammer Fantasy series is already sniffing around, don't awaken the Warhammer 40k patent lawyers.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Please please don't Mr. Erikson.
Whatever publisher does the Warhammer Fantasy series is already sniffing around, don't awaken the Warhammer 40k patent lawyers.

What's this about?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

What's this about?

A joke, should have used italics or smilies.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

What's this about?

Games Workshop occasionally try and claim ownership of the words "space marine", so "marines in space" would be pushing your luck.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

The Ninth Layer posted:

Erikson has announced that he is writing a new SciFi novel, this time a serious one:

https://www.gollancz.co.uk/2017/10/gollancz-acquire-steven-ericksons-rejoice-knife-heart/

loving Canadians. :canada: Always thinking things happen in Canada! No offense Canadian goons, but if aliens are going to snatch a science fiction author of the streets of a North American city, they'd pick someone from a place a lot warmer.

Like :chaostrump: land.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Someone up thread mentioned how the Shake were partly decended from the Kchan chemrm rrmrhrmn - the implication I got was that they only exhibited reptilian phenotypes when they were living coastaly, that it was some environmental contamination. As though the key-chain cells were colonising them.

Did I go completely off base or is that a common reading? It would also explain the weird life cycle of the n'purei that goon favorite Karsa fights in the Nacent.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Someone up thread mentioned how the Shake were partly decended from the Kchan chemrm rrmrhrmn - the implication I got was that they only exhibited reptilian phenotypes when they were living coastaly, that it was some environmental contamination. As though the key-chain cells were colonising them.

Did I go completely off base or is that a common reading? It would also explain the weird life cycle of the n'purei that goon favorite Karsa fights in the Nacent.

I thought that the Shake were decedents of humans and tiste andii mating?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They are but every once in a while they have weird magic lizard babies. The ones that are too much lizard get thrown into the sea and the ones with just slight lizardyness become their magic users.

I always figured the Shake got caught up in the Tiste/Kchain wars and were used for experiments by the Matrons or something.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Guyver posted:

They are but every once in a while they have weird magic lizard babies. The ones that are too much lizard get thrown into the sea and the ones with just slight lizardyness become their magic users.

I always figured the Shake got caught up in the Tiste/Kchain wars and were used for experiments by the Matrons or something.

Not exactly - it's explained in the books that the water off of which the present-day Shake reside was once seeded with nano-whatevers by a KCCM matron. When a pregnant Shake went in, the developing fetus was at risk of being contaminated and having their genetic structure modified by the nano-whatevers, resulting in weird magic lizard babies of various expression (in the genetic sense).

I can't recall, though, if any commentary was ever offered as to whether the witches and warlocks would or even could reproduce by natural means. If yes, then we could probably assume that the Shake of today have, as a race, some vestige of KCCM genetic material.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Well poo poo I totally missed that. Guess it's time for that third read through.

Though it didn't help that my eyes tended to glaze over on the Shake parts that wasn't The Watch murdering everything.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

Habibi posted:

Not exactly - it's explained in the books that the water off of which the present-day Shake reside was once seeded with nano-whatevers by a KCCM matron. When a pregnant Shake went in, the developing fetus was at risk of being contaminated and having their genetic structure modified by the nano-whatevers, resulting in weird magic lizard babies of various expression (in the genetic sense).

I can't recall, though, if any commentary was ever offered as to whether the witches and warlocks would or even could reproduce by natural means. If yes, then we could probably assume that the Shake of today have, as a race, some vestige of KCCM genetic material.

Do you recall which book that was in? is it in DoD or CG? or was it some throw away line on another continent?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

BraveJoe posted:

Do you recall which book that was in? is it in DoD or CG? or was it some throw away line on another continent?

Something extremely similar is mentioned in one of the B&KB stories, the Jhorligg from 'The Lees at Laughters End', which live in shallow coastal waters.
The Jhorligg parasite infect the hosts similarly, but go off script & kill their land-based hosts. Thinking the Jhorligg might be a feral KCCM offshoot, or even more horrifyingly, a Malazan reworking of the Species parasites.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 19, 2017

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

BraveJoe posted:

Oh boy <spends an hour running Kindle searches>.

There are several references that come together to paint that picture. The description of the Matron's seeding of the water comes from DoD, page 328 (?):

Gunth Mach's memories posted:

She recalled the birth pains of the Nah’ruk, and then the searing agony of their betrayal. Burning cities and corpses three-deep on vast fields of battle. Chaos and terror within the nests, the shriek of desperate births. And the sly mockery of the waves on the shores as a dying Matron loosed her eggs into the surf in the mad hope that something new would be made—a hybrid of virtues with all the flaws discarded...

edit: and, yeah, it's been theorized that the Jhorligg are the result of a similar chain of events.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm on the last chapter of Fall of Light. Man, what a majestic book, I love Malazan and all Malzan things related, it's gonna be a looooong wait for Walk in Shadows. I'll try Path of Ascendancy once I'm done. Real slow, REAL slow.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Whoops I started book 3 before book 2, should I rectify this?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Book 2 & 3 happen simultaneously on different continents, you should be good.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Ugh I just got an email from Goodreads about "new releases from authors you've read" and it had the new Esslemont book in it. My heart skipped a beat thinking that it was out already! Not til next month, though...

I'd highly recommend Dancer's Lament to anyone who hasn't read Esslemont yet but has finished all of Erikson's books. Esslemont's "Novels of the Malazan Empire" mostly felt like imitations, but Dancer's Lament was a lot more focused and was a surprising success because of it. Especially coming straight off of the hugely disappointing Assail.

The new one looks like it's going to be double the length of Dancer's Lament, though, which is slightly worrying...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Wow. Life has been so packed the last year or so that I didn't even realize Dancer's Lament was part of a continuing series of...<checks book description>....oh, hell yeah. Now I can't wait for next month, either. :(

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Tor has the first chapter up. Some of the prose is a little bit stilted but I love the characters, so...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've been holding off on reading Dancer's Lament, just because I got burned so badly with Esselmont's other books, but I might have to suck it up and just buy it because I do love me some Kellanved and Dancer.

Plus it'll tide me over until Walk in Shadow.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

All I want from Walk in Shadow is a scene where Rake and Osric stand around blathering on about the thousand gods with blood on their faces. Make it happen Steve.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Tor has the first chapter up. Some of the prose is a little bit stilted but I love the characters, so...

i neeeeed more

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
:siren: BAD NEWS (or good news for Karsa fans) :siren:

From Erikson's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/steveneriksonofficial/posts/

quote:

Status Update: Completing the third and final Willful Child novel, The Search For Spark. Then it's onward to the first Karsa Orlong novel (what about the third Kharkanas novel? On hold). Thanks everyone for your kind greetings.

quote:

Steven Erikson - Author Hmm, okay. I've made a point of never dissembling to my readers so why start now? The reasons for this decision (delaying Walk in Shadow) are varied: the basic situation is as follows. For reasons unknown to me, my agent or my publishers, DoD( EDIT: FoD) and FoL have tanked in terms of sales. I wasn't even aware of that until we started marketing the First Contact novel, RKH, but when the details came out it took the wind out of my sails (putting it mildly). Now, if it was a matter of the style I employed for the Kharkanas trilogy turning readers off, then the sales of FoD should have been decent, only to then fall off for FoL. But that wasn't the case. Strangely, the Book of the Fallen series remains strong in terms of sales. Was it because it was a prequel? Possibly. Did FoD come too soon after TCG? Maybe. Or is there some kind of reader-fatigue going on? Could be. One theory I've been considering is a more general wariness among fantasy fans regarding trilogies and series -- having been burned by other authors waiting for books, are readers just holding back until the trilogy is done, before buying in? But then, Dancer's Lament sold brilliantly (and it too is a prequel). Anyway, the upshot is, given what we perceive as considerable enthusiasm for the Karsa trilogy, we decided to jump right in. The story picks up four or five years after the ten book series, so there'll be plenty of room to explore the fall-out, and room for favourite characters to make an appearance beyond Karsa himself. I do remain committed to writing Walk in Shadow and humbly apologize for you (few?) readers eagerly awaiting that novel.

quote:

Steven Erikson - Author Thanks so much for all your comments and encouragement. To those of you waiting for the trilogy to finish before buying, no need to apologize. Waiting for books sucks. Personally, I wish FoL hadn't taken three years to write. That alone is a long wait for any reader. I think what's made the Kharkanas trilogy so fragile for me is that it was always a risky proposition, in terms of tone, atmosphere and writing style. It's dense stuff, and while the style is seductive (for me) it's also one that requires a certain frame of mind. I wasn't aware of how vulnerable that frame of mind was until it got hammered. It may well turn out that after the first Karsa novel (working title: The God is not Willing), I'll head straight back to Walk in Shadow. Sometimes momentum is all one needs.

I only read Forge of Darkness and never went onto Forge of Light, so I am part of the problem, but his theory on wariness of trilogies and series certainly rings true, and unless I can get the first novel for cheap I generally avoid "First Novel in an exciting new trilogy!!!" unless it's an author I really enjoy.

I remember enough of the Malazan novels to recall the novels all had pretty strong endings individually, and I think Forge of Darkness had too much of a cliffhanger that annoyed me, and decided to wait until it was all done.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It makes sense, to a degree. FoD and FoL have good parts to them (because Erikson is ultimately good at what he does), but they're also markedly different from the main series in terms of structure - and if you were a fan of the general structure of those books, the Kharkanas ones can very honestly leave you wanting to some degree. It's somewhat hard to explain, but neither FoD nor FoL left me as satisfied as each the main books did, and a part of that is that they eschew the build up -> convergence formula that led me to devour all ten of those books.

Anyway, FoL honestly did not leave me wanting more of that particular trilogy so I'm actually glad of this news. The Karsa books are what I've been wanting since the series concluded, both because Karsa owns and because I frankly just want to see how things continue to shake out in the world.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
drat. I actually enjoyed FoL a lot and don't particularly care about Karsa, so this is bad news. Guess fans call for a quota of smiting and witnessing?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The reason Forge of Darkness and Fall of Light didn't sell well is pretty obvious to me. Except for the one scene with the sisters and the few with dragons the book was pretty mundane. Well as mundane as not-elves coming to terms with their newly minted corporeal goddess of darkness can get anyway. Don't get me wrong I really liked both of them but it didn't get the blood up like the stuff in BotF. Which is kind of sad because Walk in Shadow probably would have ramped the action up.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Fall of Light ended with a wet fart. Bring on Karsa!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Guyver posted:

The reason Forge of Darkness and Fall of Light didn't sell well is pretty obvious to me. Except for the one scene with the sisters and the few with dragons the book was pretty mundane. Well as mundane as not-elves coming to terms with their newly minted corporeal goddess of darkness can get anyway. Don't get me wrong I really liked both of them but it didn't get the blood up like the stuff in BotF. Which is kind of sad because Walk in Shadow probably would have ramped the action up.

He reasons that if that were the case, you would still have seen decent sales for FoD (people excited for more Malazan), and then a drop off for FoL (people reacting to FoD), which is....reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

gently caress off with Karsa, give me a book about his dad.