Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

^burtle posted:

At work for another few hours... I am one of the Mario Left Behind

1 more hour for me.....followed by about 2 hours of travel. :negative:

At least I have a long weekend to play dress-up with my jumping italian plumber friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

"Welcome to the wishing portal faithful fans, I am the spirit of Iwata and will grant you one wish."

The first fan said: I want a really awesome 3D Mario game.

"Done"

The second fan said: I want a Xenoblade 2 character designed by the same guy that designed the Girls Und Panzer characters.

"Yeah okay."

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/923808492779008000
https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/923808945394761728

I think she looks cool

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zelder posted:

I think they've done an insanely poor job of presenting the game, I agree with that. Though from what I can tell the good xenoblade elements are still there.

No defense of the clown rear end designs though, they're so bad. If I can't change the main dudes clothing I may actually cry

You didn't appreciate hearing a dinosaur grandpa slowly describe basic jrpg combat mechanics in-character for fifteen minutes?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Buff loving arms but boobs out is just a further confirmation I don't understand anime.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

^burtle posted:

Buff loving arms but boobs out is just a further confirmation I don't understand anime.

anime fans all want to be killed by a hot girl

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

an actual dog posted:

anime fans all want to be killed by a hot girl

Am... Am I an anime fan?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
For something that is called Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it looks like it has just as much in common as XCX had with the first Xenoblade. At least the soundtrack will be good this time around.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

After the Nopon Village, XC basically becomes insane anime garbage with nothing but dominatrix outfits for all the female characters, so I can see the similarities.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Beastie posted:

Happy Mario Day!

I've done all my errands for the weekend! I get off work in 6 hours, Mario will be in my mailbox in 4 hours.

I plan on playing for a few hours tonight, watching Stranger Things 2, and waking up early tomorrow to play some more.

I love waking up early in the morning to make some coffee and play games before my girlfriend wakes up.

Finishing weekend errands before the weekend and then waking up early before my wife is one of the best ways to kick off Saturday. You know what's good in life!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Calaveron posted:

What is every jrpg ever released

xenoblade chronicles was honestly fine in this regard. like yea of course the female party members get some Dumb Armor but xc2 is really going off the deep end in comparison

Zelder posted:

I think they've done an insanely poor job of presenting the game, I agree with that. Though from what I can tell the good xenoblade elements are still there.

No defense of the clown rear end designs though, they're so bad. If I can't change the main dudes clothing I may actually cry

yeah, i haven't wrote off the game completely it's just gone from "day one purchase" to "wait and see for a few months later how people compare it to the first game". like i feel like monolith definitely understands why they're naming it xenoblade chronicles 2 so they've surely gotta be making some right steps in the gameplay department but - at the risk of sounding dramatic - everything they've shown has made me embarrassed to be excited in the first place. when they first teased that xc2 was a thing i'd turn to my wife who is not familiar with the first game and go "oh poo poo, this is awesome, xenoblade chronicles kicked rear end!!" and then every trailer beyond that is just like "yo here's a huge titty preteen sword girl" and "grandpa turtle slowly explains the intricate politics of the world" and i wither away and die

fuckin far cry from my intro to XC being "the world was nothing but water but then two sickass robots appeared out of nowhere and battled to the death"

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I walked into a local retailer on a lark during my lunch break and they actually had one switch odyssey bundle that wasn't spoken for which I then felt obligated to buy. I guess I have a switch now

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Motion control hating Debbie Downer here...

So Mario has two basic hat functions:
1 - throw hat forward
2 - spin hat around himself

There are two hat throwing buttons on the controller.
Y - throw hat forward
X - throw hat forward

Even with motion controls set to off you still have to flick the controller to spin the hat around Mario.

That is lame and it sucks. So far it's the coolest move in the game but a wrist injury basically prevents me from doing it. Why doesn't the X button do this?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 27, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I would die for the rock dinosaur grandpa

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wonder if toads are immune from capture due to having hats attached to their head.

I will let this thread know when I find out!

Well...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The toads wear hats on top of their mushroom caps in the actual game

Does that make them part of their bodies? Are Toadette’s pigtails actually just... flesh?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

The toads wear hats on top of their mushroom caps in the actual game

Does that make them part of their bodies? Are Toadette’s pigtails actually just... flesh?

Hair is also part of your body. Although it is technically dead mass so I guess that could be argued.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GreatGreen posted:

1 - throw hat forward

Y - throw hat forward
X - throw hat forward

Even with motion controls set to off you still have to flick the controller to spin the hat around Mario.

That is lame and it sucks. So far it's the coolest move in the game but a wrist injury basically prevents me from doing it. Why doesn't the X button do this?

How does this work with a pro controller

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Mushrooms procreate via spores. Toadette is clearly trans and TFRazorsaw is shaming her. Problematic!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GreatGreen posted:

1 - throw hat forward

Y - throw hat forward
X - throw hat forward

Yeah I don't get this as well. I'm playing on the Switch itself right now cause I'm too lazy to switch over my monitor and poo poo. Why can't I do the hat twirl without flicking the controller? That seems like a weird oversight.

Also I'm gonna be real: in typical 64 and Sunshine fashion I find myself fighting with the camera quite a bit

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

All the motion controls work with all the controllers, they're just harder to pull off on the Pro and even harder in portable mode.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

You have to let go of the pro controller with your right hand and flick it with your left.

This is even with motion control set to off in the options. I can't find any other way to do that hat spin move with just buttons.

And it's a pain because the game is obviously designed around that move, considering how many circles of coins there are that the hat spin will pick up instantly but anything else is quite tedious.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 27, 2017

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was patching my system 'cause I thought I could further disable motion controls according to hearsay (lies) and I decided to check the news since I rarely have my system online.

The news told me that Shovel Knight was on sale.

Mario Day is a good day.

rear end posted:

I'm at my wit's end with this console. I've been getting a NAT type of F and I can't play online at all. I can access the e-store, I can download games, I can do everything except play online.

I did everything people on the internet said, port forwarding, DMZ, assigned a static internal IP for the Switch. Hell I'm even paying for a static IP address now. What else could be possibly the problem?

This is a real long shot but do you happen to have two routers?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lodin posted:

Mushrooms procreate via spores. Toadette is clearly trans and TFRazorsaw is shaming her. Problematic!

Toadette is a female presenting agender individual

https://www.themarysue.com/genderless-toads/amp/

It’s canon

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GreatGreen posted:

You have to let go of the pro controller with your right hand and flick it with your left.

This is even with motion control set to off in the options. I can't find any other way to do that hat spin move with just buttons.

And it's a pain because the game is obviously designed around that move, considering how many circles of coins there are that the hat spin will pick up instantly but anything else is quite tedious.

holy moley

I'm sure the game owns but I'm kinda glad I'm not getting it yet because this would drive me up the wall

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Motion control explain post!

First of all, the setting for motion controls and sensitivity in the options is in the Camera Controls section and thus will not actually affect anything you do for most of the game. I know, it took me a while to notice too. It only adjusts the first person aiming sections.

Secondly, you *can* do all of the moves without motion but it's usually more awkward. For spin throw, just spin the stick around a bit until mario is spinning, then throw (this is also how you spin jump). For downwards throw, ground pound then throw immediately afterwards. For upwards throw, this one's tricky but you need the lock-on arrow to appear on something above mario and he'll aim for you (same thing works with downwards throw). No, wait, actually I don't think there's any way to do the extended homing throw without motion, I lied.

Either way I don't see any reason they couldn't map these to buttons. I'm hopeful they might patch it in like they did to ARMS.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Amppelix posted:

For downwards throw, ground pound then throw immediately afterwards.

Do you get this move later because I just tried it and all I do is leap forward like Superman

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Toadette is a female presenting agender individual

https://www.themarysue.com/genderless-toads/amp/

It’s canon

I was the one who was gender shaming all along? Oh no!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

You didn't appreciate hearing a dinosaur grandpa slowly describe basic jrpg combat mechanics in-character for fifteen minutes?

I kind of did, just for the sheer audacity of it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Do you get this move later because I just tried it and all I do is leap forward like Superman

Oh, you need to hit the ground first and let go of ZL. Which, yes, lessens the usability quite a lot. Also if you hit the ground, continue holding ZL, and then press Y, you will instead do a sonic spindash and blast off.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The funny thing about this is i looked at replied, it's like one person mad, one person pointing out spelling errors, a few people like "well to each his own some games aren't for everyone" and like 500 people immediately calling it a fake

there is, in fact, more than one person mad int he replies

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Motion control explain post!

First of all, the setting for motion controls and sensitivity in the options is in the Camera Controls section and thus will not actually affect anything you do for most of the game. I know, it took me a while to notice too. It only adjusts the first person aiming sections.

Secondly, you *can* do all of the moves without motion but it's usually more awkward. For spin throw, just spin the stick around a bit until mario is spinning, then throw (this is also how you spin jump). For downwards throw, ground pound then throw immediately afterwards. For upwards throw, this one's tricky but you need the lock-on arrow to appear on something above mario and he'll aim for you (same thing works with downwards throw). No, wait, actually I don't think there's any way to do the extended homing throw without motion, I lied.

Either way I don't see any reason they couldn't map these to buttons. I'm hopeful they might patch it in like they did to ARMS.

Thanks for the explanation but Jesus Christ that's obnoxious, especially considering the R trigger isn't even used in the game. Why not use that as the obvious modifier button?

What about :
Y - forward hat throw
X - spinning hat throw
X+ZR - throw hat up
Y+ZR - throw hat down

heck, you could even add these functions too:
B+ZR - long jump
A+ZR - spin in place

Why couldn't those exceedingly simple and effortless-to-internalize controls have been used?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 27, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love all the batshit nutballs designs coming out of XC2. Just go full hog with the characters, why not after the sterile soggy dishwater of XCX

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Oh, you need to hit the ground first and let go of ZL. Which, yes, lessens the usability quite a lot. Also if you hit the ground, continue holding ZL, and then press Y, you will instead do a sonic spindash and blast off.

you can sonic spindash by just crouching and press Y, no ground pound needed

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the explanation but Jesus Christ that's obnoxious, especially considering the R trigger isn't even used in the game. Why not use that as the obvious modifier button?

What about :
Y - forward hat throw
X - spinning hat throw
X+ZR - throw hat up
Y+ZR - throw hat down

heck, you could even add these functions too:
B+ZR - long jump
A+ZR - spin in place

Why couldn't those exceedingly simple and effortless-to-internalize controls have been used?

I haven't played yet but these sound real bad in a fast paced platformer.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Little Mac posted:

The current alternative is a bunch of motion controls which are even less precise.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Am I the only one who has never had an issue with motion controls on a nintendo system? :shrug:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So. Our story begins already in progress with our hero fighting his archenemy in a warship. The hero fails, falling from the sky, after which he makes contact with a small spirit and gains a new power as a result of his previous failure. Our hero then embarks on a globe trotting journey where he has to visit fantasy counterparts of real countries and environments, including a desert, the arctic, and a pastiche of New York City.

Did I just describe Sonic Unleashed or Super Mario Odyssey

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Little Mac posted:

they sound really easy actually and way more accessible than "waggle my joycon grip"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/923958782660698114

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mario is literally on a quest to preserve a monarchy, and is best friends with the mayor of a city which adheres to a capitalist economy.

• Locked thread