Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The font is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
One of our previous receptionists was a very nice but goofy 55 year old single lady who was not tech savvy at all and she absolutely loved that font on her Samsung phone. That was the one time I thought it was appropriate to use since I felt like it was a good reflection of her personality.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I mean, yeah that font is bad, but that's me. If they like it good for them. lol at choosing your font for other people.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

nimper posted:

Are we still font shaming ITT?

Now that even Google is using Google Sans (née Product Sans) for some of its widgets and headers instead of just Roboto2, probably not. Then again Google Sans is not nearly so unreadable as, say, an intentionally inept script typeface like Choco Cooky.

Also a lot of places still use Roboto1 for things and it's weird.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nobody mentioned it in here (though it was in the link bull shared earlier), but Google says they tested the P2XL display after the hubbub about burn in and they say it's on-par with the other OLED displays on the market in this respect.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Nobody mentioned it in here (though it was in the link bull shared earlier), but Google says they tested the P2XL display after the hubbub about burn in and they say it's on-par with the other OLED displays on the market in this respect.

So it's anything from "within an order of magnitude of the V30" to "outperforms the best in market panel."

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

The OP3 and 5 use Samsung AMOLED so it's a safe bet the 5T will as well

Considering the only outside company to get Samsung's 18:9 OLED displays is Apple, I wouldn't call it a "safe bet."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I truly believe that no one would have noticed the IR had they not be scrutinizing the display for other reasons. So many displays do it. I played a letterboxed movie on my tab S3 and then tossed up that gray slide right afterwards and I could see the letterboxing. Took about an hour to fully fade.

People keep focusing on the soft buttons, but if you look at them, they are the same intensity as the rest of the display, it's the black area that's lighter. Notice how you can't also see the time, battery, it signal indicator.

Once Google implements the lighter colored nav bar that they indicated, the issue will go away completely.

It will also combat the real burn in that I currently have on my OG Pixel where the nav area has more of a blue hue due to aging difference and the nav soft buttons have shifted yellow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sleepwalkers posted:

Considering the only outside company to get Samsung's 18:9 OLED displays is Apple, I wouldn't call it a "safe bet."

I will laugh if it has an LG display too.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

This one is a year old. I'd say it's more of a browning than a yellowing. It's a great case.

I thought it might be dirt, so I washed it before taking photos. The brownness is uneven, and seems to be located where my fingers touch the phone while holding it with my right hand. Not sure if its my filthy goon fingers, or how dirt/oils/acidity effects the case material. I wouldn't say its exposed to a ton of UV light. Maybe its a combination of things.

I don't know what the Pixel 2 body is like, but if its anything like the Nexus 5x, my blue Diztronic case stained it pretty bad.

bull3964 posted:

They are a bit thicker as they are a standard TPU case. It will yellow/brown over time if exposed to UV.

Thanks for the responses. Will probably run with the Spigen Liquid Crystal and hope it's not too thick. If I'm being honest, it's highly unlikely the discoloration will be a major issue before I replace it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

sleepwalkers posted:

At some point someone has the first to get them - might be the one when Samsung consigns the 2017 OLEDs as "old" by now and frees them up for third party use. Or it's a LG ;)

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

I'm glad to see my choice of system font did not go unnoticed. Here, you might like this too:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jacobus Spades posted:

I'm glad to see my choice of system font did not go unnoticed. Here, you might like this too:

Dang post your setup

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Do they have a DSM-IV classification yet for what you're suffering from?

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Dang post your setup

I was looking for a dumb picture to make a sarcastic reply to this post but then I found this

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jacobus Spades posted:

Don't doxx me

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Decius posted:

At some point someone has the first to get them - might be the one when Samsung consigns the 2017 OLEDs as "old" by now and frees them up for third party use. Or it's a LG ;)

Or it's an LCD panel.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jacobus Spades posted:

Man, I don't think I'm high enough for where ever this is going.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thoughts on the note 8 from a three generation nexus/pixel fanboy = the ui is *lot* better than my old Note 3, but the weight and sharp corners bother me more than I thought they would. And the lack of bezels put the keyboard so low that it's more awkward to type.

The screen is glorious but the curved edges occasionally get in the way, like moving a note to the top right in Keep was a huge pain. And the huge screen is killing the battery super fast too, or at least something is.

Overall, much better than my worst fears, but my wife is gonna stick to her Pixel 2 xl pre-order and I'll probably be jealous.

At least I won't laugh the next time someone says TouchWiz doesn't suck anymore (Samsung apps on the other hand...)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Any recommendations for 'right angle' USB C chargers for the Pixel 2 XL? The wall sockets closest to my preferred charging location result in the cord getting smashed right at the plug l, 90° up/down or left/right would be much preferable, so long as the cord is perpendicular to the prongs.

I don't have much of a preference for USB-C to USB-C or USB-B to USB-C but would prefer to have something quick charge compatible.

The person back on 1097 that asked about whether all cables are created equal didn't appear to really have their question answered in full either.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 27, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0141KJAFK/

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I got my replacement Pixel 2 and there's no clicking. It also seemed like the box was opened previously (the little circle sticker that holds the box together was not stuck on flat, and the phone was faced down instead of up) so maybe someone actually checked to make sure the phone was good before shipping.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Any recommendations for 'right angle' USB C chargers for the Pixel 2 XL? The wall sockets closest to my preferred charging location result in the cord getting smashed right at the plug l, 90° up/down or left/right would be much preferable, so long as the cord is perpendicular to the prongs.

I don't have much of a preference for USB-C to USB-C or USB-B to USB-C but would prefer to have something quick charge compatible.

The person back on 1097 that asked about whether all cables are created equal didn't appear to really have their question answered in full either.

Why not just get a flat plug extension cord and plug that into the wall?

Edit:

Now I follow the link...

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

Any recommendations for 'right angle' USB C chargers for the Pixel 2 XL?
The old Google two port charger has the ports on the top/bottom, but Google don't sell it any more. Maybe you can find one on eBay.

I also have one charger with the cable on the side but that one is a moulded cable that you can't remove. I can't remember which device that came with. Maybe the 6P?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Does that mean that the preferred care warranty is now three years?
It appears the answer is no:

quote:

We also want to add some clarification on the 2 year warranty and preferred care.

If you already purchased your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL from the Google Store or an authorized retailer, your warranty will be extended to 2 years.

The length of the preferred care program remains the same. If you have a mechanical breakdown issue in the second year, you will no longer have to pay a deductible. Accidental damage is still subject to a deductible. If you bought Preferred Care and want a refund you can get a full refund on your purchase of preferred care for up to 30 days, or a pro-rated refund anytime after that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Google might want to tell Assurant that to fix the wording on their site, then.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Severedseven posted:

Turning off NFC makes the clicking noise stop but there is still a high pitch buzzing sound and it's not just in calls. Any time the screen is on it makes the sound even with NFC off.
I may be a bit bitter over the whole situation though, they messed up the shipping and blamed the delay on my credit card. My phone also arrived in a damp box that smelled like italian dressing but that's probably not Google related. So maybe the buzzing sound is not as bad as I'm making it out in my head.

I received my Pixel 2 last week and had the NFC clicking/high pitch whine issue. I RMA'd my phone, received my new phone yesterday and have no issues with clicking/hissing now. NFC is on.

I've seen lots of people on Reddit who also RMA'd the phone and had the same problems with the replacement. Seems pretty hit or miss, wahoooo!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

AppleCider posted:

Thanks for the responses. Will probably run with the Spigen Liquid Crystal and hope it's not too thick. If I'm being honest, it's highly unlikely the discoloration will be a major issue before I replace it.

Is there a thick one? This is the one I have

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0FIY5N/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit - reviews saying it's thicker than the Pixel 1 case. Wow https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B0746YX7J7/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 27, 2017

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah, I saw the same. Bull also indicated it was thicker. I didn't see a thickness listed from Spigen.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

LastInLine posted:

Why not just get a flat plug extension cord and plug that into the wall?

Edit:

Now I follow the link...

Because I need to plug two in.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Because I need to plug two in.

gently caress it, dude, go HAM and plug in three. Or buy two of those for less than $6 total and plug in six.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You're thinking too small

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Blue Train posted:

You're thinking too small

Please dont post my sex toys

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Android thread as helpful as ever. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hikaki posted:

I got my replacement Pixel 2 and there's no clicking. It also seemed like the box was opened previously (the little circle sticker that holds the box together was not stuck on flat, and the phone was faced down instead of up) so maybe someone actually checked to make sure the phone was good before shipping.

Mine was face down in its box as well, I just assumed they were just so very embarrassed by the bezels. It got a little chuckle out of me when I first opened it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh, my Pixel 2XL shipped face down as well. I just thought that's how they packed them.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Also face down. I assumed it was just an extra precautionary step to protect the screen during shipping..

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Face down rear end up that's the way we like to.. ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
So a couple of real stores just listed the OG pixel here in Sweden. No official date on when they become available, but the price is listed as about 600$. Previously it's only been available to import at like a thousand. This is after tax, which is 25%, so basically 480$. My dying 6p makes this very tempting. Hope it starts selling soon, so I can join the pixel warriors