Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I've hit a curious bug in my Contingency game. When I load the save from a fresh boot, I get contacted by them And the Cybrax and I think it contacts me per time I've messaged them.

First time, it was just once and I thought it was a misclick. Now? Uh... Wiz? Could you make this a feature by having the Contingency call you up whenever you load fresh? Because having them ask how I'm still alive is amusingly creepy. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Looks like Stellaris is getting terrain:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/923871303991463936

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Plasma overloaded hellfort with an interdictor? YES PLEASE

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

gently caress YES

In addition to zero shields around pulsars, nebula you can't see into? Amazing. This is genuinely going to be a new game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TsarZiedonis posted:

Tried that, it just lost me planets. I built defensive armies up to the cap on my border worlds, but they were showing up with 40-50 transports behind their fleets. With the limits on both fortresses and defensive armies, the game really seems to force you to use doomstacks to accomplish anything decisive. But then they go and let the AI run away from every battle it starts to lose.

Just send your troops to invade and recapture your own planets, while using your fleet to keep the enemy fleets from accomplishing anything. Either that, or just let them bombard a planet and move your fleet to intercept their transports instead. It's okay for them to take a planet or two, as long as you're taking planets too and don't let them get enough planets to max out warscore. Even if the enemy flees, they'll lose some of their ships to emergency FTL damage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've stalled early wars by diligently building tons of defensive armies after getting my rear end kicked in space, since early on AI will bring like 2-3 transports and since it can't even remotely win against 10+ armies with just that it'll never land even after planets are bombarded to 0.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
WIZ please let this info be available while mousing over a system. Also holy shot stealth nebulae and star based combat shenanigans yessss.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So please tell me that the Cherryh patch will also have a new crisis related to time fuckery

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Shugojin posted:

So please tell me that the Cherryh patch will also have a new crisis related to time fuckery

That would really be the Cherryh on top of an already great expansion.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Environmental effects and hazards present the opportunity for naturally defensible terrain in the style of mountains or river crossings. Basically, systems with certain types of stars or in certain kinds of nebulae can cause problems for ships getting out of FTL within them. Maybe they extend the cooldown time and/or make ships more vulnerable during the cooldown? Defenders are already in the system so this isn't a problem for them, although they too would have to wait for the effects to wear off, which is somewhat like "digging in." Actually on that thought, stars or what have you that grant passive buffs to ships the longer a fleet is in the system could work. This is to say nothing of "quagmire" systems that are difficult to escape from due to higher FTL windup time or EFTL damage.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gowb posted:

That would really be the Cherryh on top of an already great expansion.

nice

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just got a notice from Steam that Stellaris is 60% off! :signings:

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Any guides or tips for a rogue servitor playthrough? I want my meatbags to be happy, fat, and outnumber the stars. I've been inspired by a commercial about robots forcing people to eat ice cream.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Krataar posted:

Any guides or tips for a rogue servitor playthrough? I want my meatbags to be happy, fat, and outnumber the stars. I've been inspired by a commercial about robots forcing people to eat ice cream.

The main thing that's different to keep in mind is that you probably want to eventually move your bio-trophies onto their own planets and keep them separate from your robot pops, for specialization purposes and in case you want to go for Machine Worlds. Resettling bio-trophies has a reduced cost, and you can load them up with irrelevant traits to get useful things like lower consumer goods cost or nomadic.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Groetgaffel posted:

For wishlisting, here's how I would change FTL drives in stellaris.

Here's mine:

Hyperlane default. All empires can also slow-boat (fluffed as STL or poo poo-warp) off the lanes if they really need or want to for when the RNG or chokepoints just screw them too badly.

Wormholes are a mid/late game tech, and work like a gate network. You can get from any system with a wormhole generator to any other system with a wormhole generator near instantly, but you can't wormhole to any system that doesn't have a wormhole generator.

Jump Drives/Warp Drives are late game tech that gives you decent speed off-lane movement.

Jump/Psi Jump Drives are doom-the-galaxy late game tech that gives you extreme speed off-lane and maybe even lets you jump to specific points in the target system instead of arriving at the edges. Basically Psi-Jump empires are FTL gods who can break all the rules other FTL types have to play by but with the usual downside of requiring psionics and risking Unbidden snack time.

Also, offload most of the FTL travel time from the charge and cooldown periods into the actual between-system travel time. Because the base FTL is hyperlanes, you also only need to show connection entry points in the system view by default, make it easier to place your stuff (if there is stuff to freely place).

Unrelated to FTL, since all static defenses are relegated to starbases in the big update, that would be the perfect time for System Defense Boats so you can still have some defense without starbases. They'd also give sectors something to spend money on and feel safe.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 27, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spectacular, terrain is something I really want in the game. Hopefully nebulae will be bigger and stand out a bit more too.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Real fuckin' neato. Makes me think of Sins of a Solar Empire, which isn't a bad idea to borrow space terrain ideas from.

E: In a move that can only be described as art imitating life, I beat the poo poo out of the spiritualist awakened empire (at last) and claimed their core worlds.

They moved their captial to the new world of... Triumph. :v:

Because of course they did.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 27, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Even moo2 had nebulas where shields didn't work unless you had hard shields. Could lead to some very different sorts of battles, specially if your enemy has better shield tech than you but you have great armour penetration.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

:bisonyes:

Between this and making systems harder/slower to be claimed it looks like Cherryh is going to make space a good deal more foreboding and mysterious. Which is excellent!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Real fuckin' neato. Makes me think of Sins of a Solar Empire, which isn't a bad idea to borrow space terrain ideas from.

E: In a move that can only be described as art imitating life, I beat the poo poo out of the spiritualist awakened empire (at last) and claimed their core worlds.

They moved their captial to the new world of... Triumph. :v:

Because of course they did.

"WE DIDNT LOSE WE NEVER LOSE!" They scream as their empire shrinks into a corncob

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Another cool 'terrain' could be a star that has frequent and massive coronal mass ejections, forcing ships to slow down to be able to evade solar plasma and reducing the accuracy/effectiveness of sensors/targeting computers due to all the electronic interference caused.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

Spectacular, terrain is something I really want in the game. Hopefully nebulae will be bigger and stand out a bit more too.
I didn't even know neublae were a thing for a long time because they just looked like regular map. Occasionally my ships just got real slow for apparently no reason.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Excellent. Space is insanely bad and needs to be treated as if it will kill you at any moment. You can't trust space.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
That's pretty close to what I'd like too.

If FTL is getting a re-work, here's my wishlist:

Hyperlanes for everyone to start with. Fast travel times between systems, no FTL wind-down, but you enter / exit the system from the hyperlane entry / exit point. So you have to physically cross the system to re-enter FTL on your way to the next system.

In-combat retreat now makes ships run for the 'friendliest' exit point, they get a +100% speed boost and stops all weapons from firing, with +100% FTL charge speed when they make it to the exit point. No more emergency warp damage, but if bad-guys are shooting at you they'll get some hits in.

FTL inhibitors still work the same way, plus they reduce the retreat bonuses to +50%.

Warp is mid-game rare research FTL, works the same as it currently does except for retreating & a shorter range. With a short range warp ships can bypass some chokepoints, but not all. Retreating warp-fleets run to the closest edge of the gravity well, instead of having to go to the exit point that goes back towards friendly territory. Moderate FTL wind-down to balance against not having to travel across a whole system to warp to the next one.

Wormholes are late-game rare research non-ship component FTL, and now are built into Starbases. They create an entry / exit point next to the Starbase that let any type of FTL ships travel to any other Starbases' wormhole entry / exit point in a very large range. Small FTL wind-down. Ships still need regular FTL for travel to non-wormhole systems.

Jump Drives are late-game dangerous research FTL, work just like current jump drives do except you don't have to get to the edge of a system to jump out, as soon as you click on a out-system destination they start FTL charging.
Jump retreating works like it currently does but without emergency warp damage. Psi jump drives have no power cost and are purple.

I think making the standard FTL require you to physically cross the system would make early game terrain more important, and make non-combat speed an important variable. Having to retreat to the edge of a system would make combat speed more important, too. The smaller faster corvettes will get to the edge sooner while the larger slower battleships will take more hits from pursuing ships. Wormhole stations make territory easier to defend with fewer fleets. Jump drives are end-game unbalanced fun but realistically by this point you've already achieved dominance over the galaxy and are waiting for the end-game crisis.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah, having to go the proper exit/entry facing of the system to use hyperlanes should be thing. As you say it makes terrain more important. An orderly retreat being a retreat to the edge of the system to charge a jump out might also make afterburners worth at least thinking about?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Nevets posted:

That's pretty close to what I'd like too.

If FTL is getting a re-work, here's my wishlist:

Hyperlanes for everyone to start with. Fast travel times between systems, no FTL wind-down, but you enter / exit the system from the hyperlane entry / exit point. So you have to physically cross the system to re-enter FTL on your way to the next system.

In-combat retreat now makes ships run for the 'friendliest' exit point, they get a +100% speed boost and stops all weapons from firing, with +100% FTL charge speed when they make it to the exit point. No more emergency warp damage, but if bad-guys are shooting at you they'll get some hits in.

FTL inhibitors still work the same way, plus they reduce the retreat bonuses to +50%.

Warp is mid-game rare research FTL, works the same as it currently does except for retreating & a shorter range. With a short range warp ships can bypass some chokepoints, but not all. Retreating warp-fleets run to the closest edge of the gravity well, instead of having to go to the exit point that goes back towards friendly territory. Moderate FTL wind-down to balance against not having to travel across a whole system to warp to the next one.

Wormholes are late-game rare research non-ship component FTL, and now are built into Starbases. They create an entry / exit point next to the Starbase that let any type of FTL ships travel to any other Starbases' wormhole entry / exit point in a very large range. Small FTL wind-down. Ships still need regular FTL for travel to non-wormhole systems.

Jump Drives are late-game dangerous research FTL, work just like current jump drives do except you don't have to get to the edge of a system to jump out, as soon as you click on a out-system destination they start FTL charging.
Jump retreating works like it currently does but without emergency warp damage. Psi jump drives have no power cost and are purple.

I think making the standard FTL require you to physically cross the system would make early game terrain more important, and make non-combat speed an important variable. Having to retreat to the edge of a system would make combat speed more important, too. The smaller faster corvettes will get to the edge sooner while the larger slower battleships will take more hits from pursuing ships. Wormhole stations make territory easier to defend with fewer fleets. Jump drives are end-game unbalanced fun but realistically by this point you've already achieved dominance over the galaxy and are waiting for the end-game crisis.

I like this idea for hyperlanes because it reminds me of jump nodes in Freespace.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Someone has gone into the airlock? :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DatonKallandor posted:

Here's mine:

Hyperlane default. All empires can also slow-boat (fluffed as STL or poo poo-warp) off the lanes if they really need or want to for when the RNG or chokepoints just screw them too badly.

That's it.

Nothing else. No wormhole stations, no jump drives. Just hyperlane with (very slow) off-roading.

Maybe a few preset wormholes or a tech that lets you jump from any black hole to any other black hole or something, but basically stick with hyperlanes period. That's what I want.

I play all my games hyperlane only though, with the 'true hyperlanes' mod, so I can always just keep doing that. :shobon:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do like the idea of being able to upgrade lanes you control both ends of with stations or something to make it all go faster for internal movement.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Some sort of natural lane variance might be interesting, reflected by the thickness of the lane line.

Bigger lanes you go faster and less 'cool down' until it could be used again? Yeah, maybe let you upgrade certain lanes (expensive upkeep) to have a major transit trunk through parts of your empire.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I play with hyperlanes only to start but will never make getting jump drives impossible because of the time I beat my enemies to it and had a series of hilarious cat-and-mouse capers across their territory, attacking outposts and trying to get to the edge to escape before they followed enough lanes to catch up with me. Probably wouldn't be so fun if I was on the other end of that though.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hyperlanes with expensive fixed point wormholes for intra empire traffic.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

I play all my games hyperlane only though, with the 'true hyperlanes' mod, so I can always just keep doing that. :shobon:

What's the mod do?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gowb posted:

What's the mod do?

Eliminates jump drives

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Eliminates jump drives

Yeah, so everyone always exclusively has to use the lanes. I like it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I appreciate that terrain and chokepoints are important in a game like this, but I feel like there's probably a better way to go about it then just removing FTL types, even at game start. Having different FTL drives is a cool thing, much like in SotS.

My go to would probably actually be allowing snares to affect an area of space instead of one system only. With the starbase changes coming up, and assuming snares are something you can only put on higher end ones, it adds more duality to wide v tall, since a tall empire with most of it's systems concentrated in a smaller area would have a much easier time covering it's territory with snares than a wide one, where only major systems would be covered and the enemy would be able to find chinks in your perimeter defenses, necessitating a better fleet defense and so on.

I do think Warp needs some sort of rework though, because the wind down time is just unfun to deal with in my opinion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could do it by adding areas of FTL blocking space, like a sort of dark nebula that blocks hyperlane formation and pulls anything else out of FTL into the nearest system.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's always bothered me that you don't actually have to FTL out of a system by the direction of your destination, but you do arrive on top of your entry destination arrow. I guess since FTL snares pull fleets out right on top of the station it's fine, but they wouldn't have to if you could actually defend a hyperlane entrance.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Wait, since when does liberating generate threat? This is kind of ridiculous, I was attacked by a couple of empires while way under fleet capacity, built up, and liberated four or five planets from each of them to create friendly-ish buffer empires between us. And after my circumspect response to their aggression, I'm getting 136 threat with the empire on the other side of them who used to be more or less friendly with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

wiegieman posted:

It's always bothered me that you don't actually have to FTL out of a system by the direction of your destination, but you do arrive on top of your entry destination arrow. I guess since FTL snares pull fleets out right on top of the station it's fine, but they wouldn't have to if you could actually defend a hyperlane entrance.

The issue there is that travelling anywhere would take a very long time because you would have to fly across every system in the way, and time between jumps would vary depending on how big the system is, which would make it inconsistent too.

• Locked thread