Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RCarr posted:

As previously discussed, Amazon cannot meet their release day shipping promise for Nintendo products.

If this happens to you:

Step 1) Bitch to an Amazon customer service rep. You will get 1 month of Amazon Prime for free, plus $10-$15 Amazon credit.

Step 2) Go buy the game at whatever local retailer you choose. Save the receipt. When your Amazon copy arrives, just return that copy to wherever you bought the game.

They don't just tell you that 8PM on release day is still release day?

I'm seeing the same thing for my copy but I'll be working until the evening anyways so :shrug:

Kaubocks posted:

xenoblade chronicles was honestly fine in this regard. like yea of course the female party members get some Dumb Armor but xc2 is really going off the deep end in comparison

XC2 also had the definitely-not-pedophiles yelling and crying about western censorship of their 14 year old waifu.

Same thing happened with Bravely Default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Am I the only one who has never had an issue with motion controls on a nintendo system? :shrug:

Motion controls are annoying to use when you are playing on the console itself instead of while it's docked. When it's either the joycons seperated or on the controller dongle, then it's fine, but when the screen is attached to the controllers it's less fine

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TFRazorsaw posted:

Mario is literally on a quest to preserve a monarchy, and is best friends with the mayor of a city which adheres to a capitalist economy.

But he's preserving that monarchy from another monarchy. There's never been any indication that Princess Peach actually has more than a ceremonial role. She doesn't make laws. That kind of policy seems to be run by various councils of toads, and carrots villages seem to have their own elected leaders and representatives.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

They don't just tell you that 8PM on release day is still release day?

It's not going to be delivered today. It's not even in my state yet. Amazon's strategy is to just lie and say it will be on time, until it doesn't show, then apologize and give you free poo poo if you complain. I've been on the phone with a customer support rep who promised me my package would arrive by 8pm that night, when it was 7:30pm and the UPS tracking number showed the package was sitting at a facility. It's absurd.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But he's preserving that monarchy from another monarchy. There's never been any indication that Princess Peach actually has more than a ceremonial role. She doesn't make laws. That kind of policy seems to be run by various councils of toads, and carrots villages seem to have their own elected leaders and representatives.

What Council of Toads? There’s Toadsworth and he’s just a retainer. That doesn’t make him a leader it makes him a glorified nanny.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Then again she does erect giant statues to herself. Or someone is.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
For what it's worth, my Amazon shipment still says "preparing to ship", but it was on my doorstep at 9am. So there still might be some hope for some of you.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Motion controls are annoying to use when you are playing on the console itself instead of while it's docked. When it's either the joycons seperated or on the controller dongle, then it's fine, but when the screen is attached to the controllers it's less fine

additionally: i have big dumb gorilla hands and don't like playing with the joycons separated. the wiimote and nunchuck were fine in this regard but i can't use the joycons unless it's in the grip, they're too small.

edit: should clarify that trying to hat spin and other stuff on the joycon grip is....... not ideal

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 27, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Then again she does erect giant statues to herself. Or someone is.

The mushroom kingdom is a benevolent dictatorship where citizens want for nothing, local currency literally spawns in the air, and all necessary resources either fall from the sky, spontaneously grow, or appear out of naturally occurring blocks.

Meanwhile Bowser spends all his treasure on military engagements, including tanks, airships, and various robots, on top of forcing them to live in a lava filled environment that’s lethal to over half his army.

I imagine the Toads are just happy not to have to live under someone so lethally stupid.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

you can sonic spindash by just crouching and press Y, no ground pound needed

I know this is how you roll, but try it, you do an actual dash and get massive speed compared to just starting a roll.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

Mario is literally on a quest to preserve a monarchy, and is best friends with the mayor of a city which adheres to a capitalist economy.

do you understand what clickhole is

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I know this is how you roll, but try it, you do an actual dash and get massive speed compared to just starting a roll.

ah, ok, i see what you're talking about

that said you can still get this boost while rolling-- while rolling, continue to hold crouch and press Y with good timing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

an actual dog posted:

do you understand what clickhole is

Yes

I wanted to take part in the joke :(

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/st_vincent/stat...d-st-vincent%2F

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
St. Vincent is like the textbook definition of taking self too seriously.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

St. Vincent owns

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cerina Vincent owns

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

an actual dog posted:

St. Vincent owns

I didn't say she didn't but she definitely also takes her ~art~ very seriously.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Picked up an Odyssey Switch bundle at lunch, local BestBuy had several on the shelves. Also got Zelda with it, and I'll probably pick up Stardew later on. Really looking forward to this, been a while since I played a Mario or Zelda.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Mason Dixon posted:

Picked up an Odyssey Switch bundle at lunch, local BestBuy had several on the shelves. Also got Zelda with it, and I'll probably pick up Stardew later on. Really looking forward to this, been a while since I played a Mario or Zelda.

You only have the best Zelda game and possibly the best 3D Mario game ahead of you. Enjoy!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Drove home on lunch to play my Mario game (that got to my house by 11am, preordered on Amazon, losers) on my Switch machine. Got a good 40 min in.

I threw my hat on the frog and I was the frog.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/923754365189373953

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GreatGreen posted:

You have to let go of the pro controller with your right hand and flick it with your left.

This is even with motion control set to off in the options. I can't find any other way to do that hat spin move with just buttons.

And it's a pain because the game is obviously designed around that move, considering how many circles of coins there are that the hat spin will pick up instantly but anything else is quite tedious.

You can do the hat spin without motion controls; twirl the analog stick enough to get Mario doing the ballerina spin thing and throw the hat. I got the timing down pretty quick and it's a hell of a lot more reliable than a flick of the Pro controller. Also, the Pro controller can be flicked to either the left or the right for the hat spin, but you gotta be real level with it or you'll get an up or down toss instead.

Moves I haven't found non-motion substitutes for yet: upward/downward hat throw, roll extender. Thankfully, these aren't really as annoying as a lateral flick, and can be done with a gentle tip either up or down.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want to get another switch base for my TV downstairs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Oh Mario Where Art Thou is quite fun, but good God drat, there are a lot of loving Shines to get. Wouldn't be surprised if the game has more of them than Breath of the Wild has Korok seeds.

Watching my 6yo nephew play, and he's just racking up Shines like a boss. Game is so intuitive.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:(

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Didn't this happen to you with your Switch as well? I feel like you are constantly getting hosed by Amazon.

Just got the text that USPS dropped off my Odyssey. I love that Switch games are small enough to fit inside my building's mailbox and not just sit on the floor of the mail room.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
welp apparently SMO doesn't qualify for release day delivery on Amazon Canada :(

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah guys screw amazon. There are tons of copies in stores at least here in Canada. Both Walmart and Toys R Us had walls of the game and the console with the packin.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Games are usually extremely easy to find without pre-order in stores.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I've never once seen a new game get sold out on launch day

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just pre-order from BB so I get GCU savings and an extra $10 points card.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

chaleski posted:

I've never once seen a new game get sold out on launch day

This hasn't been an issue since the early 2000's. I think I had to go to two or three different stores to find GTA Vice City and one or two for San Andreas.

Not the case anymore.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I preordered to get it for 47 dollars and i got some coin my 5 year old was loving pumped to get.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
My local Walmart only had two copies left when I picked mine up at 4:30 this morning. They're usually my go-to for poo poo like this because they always have a ton of stock, but apparently there had been a constant stream of folks wandering in and asking for the new Mario.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All the people asking for Mario when are playing Mario now.

The world is good again.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh Mario Where Art Thou is quite fun, but good God drat, there are a lot of loving Shines to get. Wouldn't be surprised if the game has more of them than Breath of the Wild has Korok seeds.

It just barely doesn't.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Im probably gonna get my copy from the HEB near my apt, good chance to pick up some lunch meats andan assortment of cheese while I'm there

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I beat Oddessy. I can't believe how bloody graphic it got at the end when Mario slaughtered all of Peach's suitors.

About four more hours til I can play it. :negative:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Games are usually extremely easy to find without pre-order in stores.

Yeah but those stores don't give you %20 off for pre-ordering.

Except Best Buy I guess as long as you buy into their $30 club (is it still $30?)

• Locked thread