Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Battery continues to impress on the XL2. I'm 19 hours off charge, have about 6.5 hours of SoT and I still have 22% battery left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Incessant Excess posted:

Something this thin is intended as protection against scratches, not against the screen cracking/shattering when you drop it, right?

n.. posted:

I've dropped my pixel many times with the Peel / MNML case (I've posted in here before about how often I drop my phone, it's shameful) and had no damage at all to the phone. It even has a bit of a lip to protect the screen. The only downside is that the case itself will break.

(e: this is just my anecdotal experience, the protection is surely less than a TPU case would get you but I hate the feel of TPU and these feel like there's no case at all)

Just came in to say that I dropped my Pixel in this case today and shattered the screen, lol. :toot:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

n.. posted:

Just came in to say that I dropped my Pixel in this case today and shattered the screen, lol. :toot:

Lol rekt

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

n.. posted:

rip in peace

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm surprised they don't make g10 phone cases for spastics

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Blue Train posted:

I'm surprised they don't make g10 phone cases for spastics
They do make otter boxes for idiots, at least

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

sirbeefalot posted:

Mine was face down in its box as well, I just assumed they were just so very embarrassed by the bezels. It got a little chuckle out of me when I first opened it.

Oh ok I guess I just got lucky then. I don't remember how my original was packed but it looks like they're all face down.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My XL was face down, too. I think that's just how they get packed.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

n.. posted:

Life comes at you fast

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

n.. posted:

Just in time to order an IphoneX

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've been getting some random freezes when opening the camera on my Pixel 2. Has anybody else experienced this? it's inconsistent but sometimes it will hang for a good 10 seconds or more before just crashing out of the app.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

n.. posted:

AFAIK repeated impacts can stress and degrade the glass structurally but not visibly making it more likely to shatter each subsequent drop.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

bull3964 posted:

Battery continues to impress on the XL2. I'm 19 hours off charge, have about 6.5 hours of SoT and I still have 22% battery left.

Screen on 1 hour and I'm at 30% on my old turbo. Damnit this phone can't come soon enough.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Super cool that the Spigen thin fit has an indent inside the back for a metal plate / magnetic mount. I was worried I'd be sticking the plate to the outside.

Related, any top picks for a magnetic car mount? I was using a Mountek CD slot squeeze type mount, but obviously that might be problematic with the huggable Pixel 2. :v:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Seems like some people are receiving their pixel 2's with packagaing for included type-c earbuds, but no earbuds, and no type-c to 3.5mm dongle either. :doh:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My 5" Pixel will be one year old on Christmas. I've been traveling the last month and my girlfriend has been wifi tethering off my 4G connection.

Battery seems to frequently overheat in my pocket running no apps, I'm having to top off the battery with my power bank twice a day and then charge it again overnight in the hotel.

I know batteries have a finite lifespan but dang, I was hoping to get at least 400 days (400 cycles) out of this "premium" phone. At this rate it seems like I'm doing 1.5-2 cycles a day.

I bought my phone through Project Fi, how do I determine if the battery is failing and needs replacement under warranty?

Thanks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Battery seems to frequently overheat in my pocket running no apps, I'm having to top off the battery with my power bank twice a day and then charge it again overnight in the hotel.
What does the battery usage stats show? A phone running hot and draining the battery is just a phone that's not going to sleep. Factory reset it if you really can't work it out. It's extremely unlikely this is a hardware issue.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

sirbeefalot posted:

Super cool that the Spigen thin fit has an indent inside the back for a metal plate / magnetic mount. I was worried I'd be sticking the plate to the outside.

Related, any top picks for a magnetic car mount? I was using a Mountek CD slot squeeze type mount, but obviously that might be problematic with the huggable Pixel 2. :v:

Is it the non XL you have? Someone brought up an interesting point about the Spigen Thin Fit case in an Amazon review and I was hoping someone might be able to elaborate:

quote:

I'm a very strong supporter of Spigen Thin-Fit cases as I have bought and used one for each of my last 3 phones. However, I wasn't too happy with this one. As noted in someone else's review, the left and right edges of the case pretty much negate the Pixel 2 XL's curved glass edges to the point where a big crevice is made between the two, which has been a magnet to pocket lint and what not. Moreso, it's not a good feeling when sliding your finger across the glass only to hit a somewhat sharp case edge. Aside from the aforementioned though, everything seems to be the perfection that I know Spigen [usually] has. Here's hoping that Spigen reads my review and possibly come out with an updated version.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

sirbeefalot posted:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smartphone-car-mount/

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

My family have TechMatte magnetic CD spot mounts in all of our cars and we're happy with them. Once instead and properly adjusted, they're stable. However, it's definitely possible to crack them by cranking on the adjuster too hard. Finger tight good. Whole arm tight bad.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Why y'all have me on ignore lists sons?

Does Google offer financing for the Pixel 2 good edition in the UK? I'll probably wait for news of a hardware revision to a better edition though.

Also, I want Pixel Warrior commission, so like 90p every time it's used in the world. Because right now I can't retire til 2052.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Proclip, everything else I ever tried is poo poo compared to it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
For $70+ it drat well should make everything else look bad.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 28, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I gotta say I find it pretty funny that the consensus is "buy a pixel" then this thread is nothing but horror stories on them. It's Google's own flagship, for the price the thing should be fuckin flawless. Then again, such will never be with Android.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A flawless phone does not exist.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I mean, anecdotally, the non-XL Pixel 2 has so far been a flawless replacement for my aging 6P. No issues here whatsoever.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Pixel phones probably get put under the biggest microscope of all since they are what excites the Android fansites the most.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I went shopping today and tried to get every Pixel 2 on display in the city into my hands. Got to see three XL and two normal ones.

Normal one really looks like a phone released like 4 years ago. But it's nice to hold and the display is really good.

The XL is just amazing. Yes, there's a blue tint on the display at an angle but that's all (and you can only see it on a completely white image). There were no other problems. Nice, natural colours, no grain, nothing. I was on the edge before, not anymore. This will replace my iPhone 7.

The buttons, though, are the same. Clicky, yes, but still wobbling. Guess I'll have to live with it. I can do it! The orange button on the Panda looks supercool, but it's plastic instead of metal and you feel the difference. Not a huge deal, but worth noting I guess.

I also tried the Note 8. Hot drat, the hardware is sweet and that huuuge display is so good. That's all, though. There's stuttering all over the place. Can't even scroll through the settings without small hiccups. How is Samsung so bad at this?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

codo27 posted:

I gotta say I find it pretty funny that the consensus is "buy a pixel" then this thread is nothing but horror stories on them. It's Google's own flagship, for the price the thing should be fuckin flawless. Then again, such will never be with Android.

My pixel has all sorts of scratches on the glass, I've been buying Google/Nexus phones since the Nexus S back in ~2010 and never had visible scratches. The case is falling apart, annodized finish is all scuffed up (also never had this problem before) and the case is so slippery I ended up putting a big vinyl sticker on the back so I wouldn't drop it.

Honestly the best phone(s) I've ever owned were the Moto X developer edition (before the developer edition white fiberglass back case started deteriorating) and then the Moto G4, which is now my girlfriend's travel phone. If Project Fi supported the G4 I'd go back to it in a heartbeat.

That said, the camera on it (with HDR+) blows my girlfriend's iPhone 6's camera out of the water; I'll probably buy the Pixel 2 when this one dies, or I can't get a warranty replacement on the lovely battery, because it really is the best camera phone on the market.

I would try a power wash of the phone but doing any sort of OS level surgery on mission critical devices with 3 more international flights before heading home, not super excited to try that.

Are there any apps to tell you the status/life of your battery? On my thinkpad it came with a diagnostic tool for cycles on the battery, battery serial #, battery health, temp etc. I can't find anything like that on the Pixel.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 28, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Incessant Excess posted:

The Pixel phones probably get put under the biggest microscope of all since they are what excites the Android fansites the most.

Also since they are one of the world's biggest tech company's forays into making their own premium devices and deserve the scrutiny.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

AlexF posted:

The XL is just amazing. Yes, there's a blue tint on the display at an angle but that's all (and you can only see it on a completely white image).

I keep hearing people say this, but even on dark images I was able to see the colours on the screen fading to blue at a slight angle, getting worse as you tilt more. The purple behind the diamond here eventually turns completely blue.

I haven't cancelled my black and white XL order yet in case it turns out to be a panel lottery situation, but if it turns out to be as bad I'll probably keep the regular one I've got coming in next week.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

I keep hearing people say this, but even on dark images I was able to see the colours on the screen fading to blue at a slight angle, getting worse as you tilt more. The purple behind the diamond here eventually turns completely blue.

I haven't cancelled my black and white XL order yet in case it turns out to be a panel lottery situation, but if it turns out to be as bad I'll probably keep the regular one I've got coming in next week.

Lol at that fuckin angle who cares

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Look I just don't want the guy beside me on the train to peak at the nudes I'm sending and think my dick is blue is that too much to ask

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I took the picture at that angle to exaggerate it, but it's still there in the low-angle picture, and not with a completely white image like some people are asserting.

More power to you if you don't give a poo poo, but if I'm paying $1400 for something I get to be picky, especially when the other, cheaper phone doesn't have those issues. Just posting what I found for others who feel the same way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I'd actually prefer my phone to have poor viewing angles tbh.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mental Hospitality posted:

Seems like some people are receiving their pixel 2's with packagaing for included type-c earbuds, but no earbuds, and no type-c to 3.5mm dongle either. :doh:

Some countries require earbuds. Probably a packaging mix-up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I made up info on the essential coupon thing and still got one lol

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Coxswain Balls posted:

I took the picture at that angle to exaggerate it, but it's still there in the low-angle picture, and not with a completely white image like some people are asserting.
Indoors, depending on the location of lights in the room, I tend to tilt the phone to get rid of reflections. I can't imagine I'm the only one doing that, so all these "lol you're holding your phone wrong" are kind of irritating.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah I'd actually prefer my phone to have poor viewing angles tbh.

This is the HDTV thread in a nutshell. gently caress your viewing angle, all we care about is local dimming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

On my Nexus 6P I'm running Oreo and I use the Swype keyboard. In certain apps, most notably WhatsApp, a second spelling correction box pops up in front of the Swype one, with suggestions listed vertically. Does anyone know if this is a WhatsApp feature, an Android feature, or a Swype feature? And also how to disable it?