Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

Mother From Another Country

Owns. But what's up with "tweezer house?"

Angular Cyrus posted:

Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

OWNS

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't know if this is against forums rules or will seem like shilling, but you can buy signed hardback collections of the bus right from the author, if you're so inclined. I liked what I read in this thread so much that I did. This isn't to say "stop posting the bus," far from it; it's a great addition to the thread and we're all pretty much posting in a gray area, here. I just dig it when you can buy bound collections directly from the comic artists; I bought my copy of Beaucoup Arlo and Janis the same way (which is weird, if you're interested - it's listed on Amazon for train-robbery prices, but I ordered mine off of Jimmy Johnson's website for what seems like a perfectly normal price...)

I don't quite understand - many strips posted here also exist in collection form. I will respect the author's wishes should he say something and it's like with The Far Side. And in any event a physical collection of the bus would go right to the top of my Christmas list, but what's this weirdness about only selling on eBay?

the bus owns...is it also Christmas shopping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man

Nancy

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

I'm surprised something this violent got into the comics section.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

9 Newspapers or Fewer

You're on the 50th floor of a skyscraper.

Nobody can see you through the loving window!

fake edit: wait, are they referring to the readers? Is this the woman under the table all over again?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

bob human being posted:

I'm surprised something this violent got into the comics section.

It's Halloween. That's clearly fake blood.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.theonion.com/new-study-finds-85-of-americans-dont-know-all-the-danc-1819573602

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I am enjoying this comic.

Some Guy TT posted:

Mother From Another Country

That is the least competent fortuneteller I have ever seen.

Is the tweezer thing a joke I would get if I spoke Korean?

Yes. Daydreaming that you are a character in a production that you are not in is the very definition of BOLD.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Today's Garf

Come on, that's a straight rehash of the 20+ year old strip where Garfield pretends he's Igor, goes around thinking "need brain for master", looks at Odie and walks past him, still thinking "need brain for master"!

Look I don't know that many things in depth, okay.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A goon's wingman.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Come on, that's a straight rehash of the 20+ year old strip where Garfield pretends he's Igor, goes around thinking "need brain for master", looks at Odie and walks past him, still thinking "need brain for master"!

Look I don't know that many things in depth, okay.
There's no shame in remembering old Garfield strips in good detail. Is there? :ohdear:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Poil posted:

There's no shame in remembering old Garfield strips in good detail. Is there? :ohdear:

I used to look forward to buying the old paperback collections. Not the fancy square books that kids today use. No, this was an inconveniently shaped rectangle. I had the first 20 of them.
"Garfield Sits Around the House" is the only title I remember. But they were all bad puns (except the first one which was just Garfield, I think).

Edit: I was wrong. The first book was "Garfield At Large: His First Book" There are now more than 60 of them.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 27, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Odds that Gilchrist changed his opinion of the Dixie Chicks five years later?

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Aleph Null posted:

I used to look forward to buying the old paperback collections. Not the fancy square books that kids today use. No, this was an inconveniently shaped rectangle. I had the first 20 of them.
"Garfield Sits Around the House" is the only title I remember. But they were all bad puns (except the first one which was just Garfield, I think).

Edit: I was wrong. The first book was "Garfield At Large: His First Book" There are now more than 60 of them.

I had "Garfield Throws His Weight Around" or something similar, and two more I can't remember.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I encountered someone referring to her "ummo" in real life today and I knew what that meant thanks to Ali's House :) The good comics always end too young.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

someone awful. posted:

Don't joke; nobody except this thread and Brooke's handful of followers are reading this

OK. How about kids might be seeing this? I mean it does share a page with other comics, some of which are actually worth reading, right?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Aleph Null posted:

You can buy her book of older comics on Amazon.
https://smile.amazon.com/Breaking-Cat-News-Reporting-Matters/dp/1449474136/ref=la_B076GVFT2V_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1509116484&sr=1-1

If anyone can figure out if she sells on eBay, please let me know.

You can also buy her calendar, and her book is EXCELLENT, if you like this art then you should absolutely buy it.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (August 28-30, 1930)

Peanuts (June 13, October 27-28, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft continues its hilarious "every limp punchline is 'pumpkin spice'" week.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 15-16 and 18, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 29, 2017

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I'm guessing that this is supposed to be the new version of the hand strips?

Pibgorn

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Heathcliff reigns from a throne of garbage, hearts glimmer in Sprocket's eyes as Jim Steranko Silver does an impressive (strip first?) spit-take, and the handjob heiress of Hong Kong falls to her death, ending the interminable story of 9 Chickweed Lane.

God's in his heaven. See you in a few hours.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Skip hasn't said a word all week.

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I'm guessing that this is supposed to be the new version of the hand strips?

Is this the first murder-suicide in a newspaper comic?

Edit:

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Skip hasn't said a word all week.

And the author's self-insert's waifu doesn't know how to kiss.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 28, 2017

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 22, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (March 8, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (April 4, 1924)

Lil' Abner (December 4, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Barney Google (April 7, 1923)

Alley Oop (July 7, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (July 3, 1935)

Dickie Dare (August 16, 1933)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I don't know what's a worse strip at this point. Intelligent Life or On The Fastrack.

Holbrook's worst offences are a result of him being straight up stuck in 1995, technologically, socially, and politically. Intelligent Life is terrible in premise, horribly written, abhorrently drawn, the execution makes it the Big Bang Theory of comic strips.

Let's just stop posting both.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 20, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 20, 1996)

Garfield Classic (March 20, 1986)

Kazinsal posted:

I don't know what's a worse strip at this point. Intelligent Life or On The Fastrack.

Holbrook's worst offences are a result of him being straight up stuck in 1995, technologically, socially, and politically. Intelligent Life is terrible in premise, horribly written, abhorrently drawn, the execution makes it the Big Bang Theory of comic strips.

Let's just stop posting both.

I like to err on the side of posting as much as we can/feel like, within the confines of what is acceptable in the thread, because comics = conversation and that's really what we're here for. And we've had a hell of a lot of fun from hate-reads and edits, so even objectively bad comics like Working Daze have some utility.

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 28, 2017

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The thing that pisses me off about Intelligent Life, besides everything about it, is that it is brightly colored and "reads' well at a glance, so unlike the vast majority of strips here that I hate it's like a speed bump for my eyeballs and I always linger on it just long enough to get the gist and that gist is always infuriatingly terrible and please for the love of god just make it stop.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Pastry of the Year posted:

I like to err on the side of posting as much as we can/feel like, within the confines of what is acceptable in the thread, because comics = conversation and that's really what we're here for. And we've had a hell of a lot of fun from hate-reads and edits, so even objectively bad comics like Working Daze have some utility.

This makes sense to me. Different people, different reactions. I eyeroll at Intel Life, get genuinely peeved at Gilchrist's Nancypander, and scroll right by WorkingDaze, but I wouldn't want them not posted.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

mastersord posted:

OK. How about kids might be seeing this? I mean it does share a page with other comics, some of which are actually worth reading, right?

Jury's still out on whether Chickweed is in any print newspaper any more. I usually grab a paper whenever I travel, and it's never there. It may just be in a few papers' online versions at this point.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Editing to say: hate reads are a lot more fun when creative photo edits are made to go with them. Otherwise we're just going "grr this is bad and I don't like it" over and over ad nauseam

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 28, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't like new things.

Working Daze thinks people care about this.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gets by on a technicality.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

treasureplane posted:

King Aroo (May 22, 1952)

I don't always read it but every time I read King Aroo it is just delightful and charming.

This is also great. I remember when it was a webcomic and I'm glad it apparently got syndicated.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze thinks people care about this.

Rita's mom is scarier than the clown. Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Green Intern posted:

Rita's mom is scarier than the clown. Good lord.

If for any reason you feel compelled to read this trash, read the horrible prune monster's dialogue as Harvey Fierstein. You'll be delighted

• Locked thread