Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Yeah I think I’m gonna stick to farming Sealion for awhile and admit defeat against Fenrir.

I feel like Apollo Creed after going toe to toe with Ivan Drago. Fenrir’s gimmick just breaks you until there is nothing left.

Oh yeah, in this comparison Drago’s arms are replaced by nuclear bombs and he’s as fast as a supersonic jet plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Having 2 level 80+ Wendigo really helps against Fenrir.

And Ramza vs Noctis chat, lifesiphon and wrath provide nearly the same guage. You are probably using one of the materia that increase it with Ramza. Try the same materia with Noctis.

If there is any incoming damage it'll be 3 instant life siphons, instant ssb, instant life siphon, instant ssb, instant life siphon, life siphon, instant ssb.

gently caress it, I'll pull on XV.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 27, 2017

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Wrath gives slightly more. 180 vs 140 gauge IIRC (so 270 to 210 with battleforged/ace striker).

Noctis' second soul break will only require 2 lifesiphons though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Having 2 level 80+ Wendigo really helps against Fenrir.

And Ramza vs Noctis chat, lifesiphon and wrath provide nearly the same guage. You are probably using one of the materia that increase it with Ramza. Try the same materia with Noctis.

If there is any incoming damage it'll be 3 instant life siphons, instant ssb, instant life siphon, instant ssb, instant life siphon, life siphon, instant ssb.

gently caress it, I'll pull on XV.

Wait you can stack multiples of the same magicite? I don't have any duplicates fully leveled yet anyway but that's good to know if so.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

1/11 dupe Glad BSB. Literally my only dupe on the banner. gently caress me.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

First magicite down! Minfillia wouldn't even have died if I had paid attention to wall falling off, but I got excited and didn't reapply.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Wait you can stack multiples of the same magicite? I don't have any duplicates fully leveled yet anyway but that's good to know if so.

You get half the bonus. 2 Wendigo means +15% ice damage and 15% magicite mag.

Two is definitely worth it. 3 probably isn't, since it'll be halved again to 18%.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Duplicate effects are halved in each concurrent magicite. If you have 2 wendigos with Empower Ice 10, they will effectively give you Empower Ice 15 (10 from the first, 5 from the 2nd). If you have 3, then you'll have Empower Ice 18 (10 + 5 + 3). It works this way regardless if they're different magicites. ie: a wendigo and taharka's empower ices would work the same way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Noctis' SSB doesn't have casting time, but it'll take at least 3 Lifesiphons to get a full SB bar between each casting. The first can be instant, but the next two take full charge time. Meanwhile, Ramza can wrath, and it only takes 2 wraths for a full SB bar, the first of which is instant. I don't feel like working out which is really faster all added up, but it's probably is pretty close between:

Wrath, wrath, full cast USB, wrath(instant), wrath, full cast USB, etc.
and
Lifesiphon, Lifesiphon, lifesiphon, instant SSB, lifesipon (instant), lifesiphon, lifesiphon, instant SSB

At level 99 with full legend dives and haste, the former is 20.37 seconds while the latter is 20.94. Any damage taken will make Noctis's sequence much faster though, because taking at least one hit per SB cycle means he only needs two lifesiphons to get a full bar.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Oof, I finally cleared Belias with a variation on the parties that were posted a couple pages back.

Pencil BSB1
Orlandeau OSB + BSB
Minfilia BSB
Ramza Shout + Chant
Yoshi-Cola Stoneskin II + Asylum

Orlandeau had his Gathering Storm RM and popped BSB right off the bat to soften up Belias. Minfilia casts Protectga and Y'shtola gets wall up, Ramza Shouts, Cecil does first BSB. Then of course the goal was to have Cecil use Cloud USB and use his other two BSB's to kill off the adds (while remembering to have Ramza Full Break one of them). Unfortunately this took a few restarts because they kept focusing on the same character with Unholy Darknesses, or even worse, one time hit Cecil with Befuddle while he was casting a BSB. It all came down to hoping I could get Asylum up to heal everyone after those first few waves. After the adds are dead, Ramza reapplies Shout and Y'shtola reapplies Wall, Orlandeau uses an OSB to refresh Gathering Storm, and then immediately uses the other Cloud USB on Belias. I then had Ramza use Chant before Orlandeau casts BSB again and then just whittles down Belias with CMD1's. Cecil ran out of BSB juice so I just had him spam Saint's Cross. Minfilia wasn't as useful in terms of damage, but using her two remaining BSB casts (the first one was used as soon as I could on Belias just to get her EnHoly'd) still did fairly good damage at the end.

In retrospect, maybe I should have had Ramza use Chant earlier, it's possible I could have killed the adds with one Cloud-boosted Cecil BSB, although it looked like it would have come up short.... I was more concerned about Belias' final phase with the AOE's since I had previously run out of juice there, which was quite frustrating. No sense using the other bubble from Chant when Asylum was going to put up a bubble too.

It was an annoying fight and I never want to do it again... even though I know I only had 2 of the 3 FFT characters for the CM.........

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

At level 99 with full legend dives and haste, the former is 20.37 seconds while the latter is 20.94. Any damage taken will make Noctis's sequence much faster though, because taking at least one hit per SB cycle means he only needs two lifesiphons to get a full bar.

Something else to possibly consider in the given scenario: Noctis is contributing damage whereas Ramza isn't.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So I was researching into Edea/Shantotto USB stuff since I just pulled the former. Apparently due to how the double casts of each USB are coded in, if you have one native and RW the other they actually stack to give you a triple cast for the duration. And thanks to a quirk to how the game checks your hones (must be >1) you can triple cast even if you only have 2 hones in the chamber. For extra credit, throw on a related doublecast RM for a chance at a quad cast. :eyepop:

It's not particularly recommended or super amazing given you're burning your hones even faster but it's pretty amusing nonetheless.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OTOH, Ramza is buffing the party while Noctis isn't.

OTOOH, Noctis's LM2 means he can get his SSB off much faster.

Obviously the best solution is to use both of them at the same time.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
The actual correct solution is to only take Noctis and Ramza and just have them give each other instant casts forever.

The boss can't hit you if the game is frozen for animations permanently.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Schwartzcough posted:

I think you're slightly overselling the 4* witch abilities, unless your Mag is truly buffed to the goddamn stratosphere. The 4* witch abilities are SUPER weak. Compare potencies:

3* black magic: 490
4* witch: 520
4* black: 900
5* black: 1180

The 4* witch spells are only marginally stronger than the 3* black magic spells. They're barely more than half a strong as 4* black magic, and honestly I hope you're not relying on 4* black magic for real damage against magicites. So even under Enice/Enthunder, the witch abilites have a 7.8 potency, which is still significantly weaker than 4* black. Getting a "guaranteed" 20,000 out of the equivalent of a 3* spell against a magicite boss is, uh, far from guaranteed.

Now let's take the comparison farther:

1 hit from Maria/Papalymo/Edea BSB command 1: 200.

Those hit 9999 all the time against weakness.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it feels like witch and sharpshooter abilities aren't necessary at all

sharpshooter at least grants a few select elemental options but witch is typically only available on black magic users with the same elemental options anyway

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Sharpshooter actually kicks tons of rear end and has higher potency than spellblade. See: Tidus USB.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

went 1/11 on ff8 with just getting rinoas crystal cross, which seems fine for an ice relic but i wanted the dumb rear end anchor and more preferably some edea stuff. that'll learn me to want stuff

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is Maria worth diving if I have her BSB and OSB? It's kinda hard to tell how good her LM2 is - so far I've only dived Vivi and people with doublecasts.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Sharpshooter actually kicks tons of rear end and has higher potency than spellblade. See: Tidus USB.

Now that I think about it, does anyone have a doublecast sharpshooter LM? I use the water sharpshooter abilities on Tidus a lot because 40k Sapphire Shots are good poo poo, but I haven't found a use for any of the other ones yet.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 27, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Everything I've seen written about Maria's dive has said it isn't worth it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
seems like her LM2 would take too long to ramp up to useful values.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Unfortunately, Maria gets stuck with an iterative LM. It's good for offering a nice boost once we get the ability buffs - iterative LMs boost per hit, not per cast, so chain-gas are +4% MAG til you hit that +30% cap - but when her competition has trance modes (Terra, Vivi, Shantotto) or doublecast (Raines, Lulu), it offers too small of an effect. They're on par with the Quickcast LM2s (Rinoa, Fujin, Edea) - nice to have, but absolutely not going to make or break a character like some of the stronger dives do.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Now that I think about it, does anyone have a doublecast sharpshooter LM? I use the water sharpshooter abilities on Tidus a lot because 40k Sapphire Shots are good poo poo, but I haven't found a use for any of the other ones yet.

Not sure, but I use Icicle Shot on Fran a lot to combo with her USB. Fran does decent damage with it and Quick Hit/Full Break when you need her to.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zurai posted:

Now let's take the comparison farther:

1 hit from Maria/Papalymo/Edea BSB command 1: 200.

Those hit 9999 all the time against weakness.

Hmm, I don't hit 9999 with their commands all the time, and certainly not against magicite-tier bosses. I think I was getting up to like 6700 with Maria's vs. Hydra? That was with 2 faithgas, her own self-buffing command 2, and three stacks of imperil earth to get him to full 100% weakness. But I did not have earth boosting gear. But yes, with enough mag boosts and imperils and element boosting gear, it's possible. It's just far from guaranteed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maria's legend materias are pretty bad (even the relic), but the shear amount of magic you get from the dive is really nice. It helps cut down on the number of +mag buffs you need to stack to reach her 6-hit threshold. If you've got better options, particularly ones with w-cast materia, go with those.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
One thing to keep in mind about Maria is that, for the low cost of 40 spi/wis motes, you can pick up all her earth dmg% boosts and some extra mag on top. I wasn’t super impressed by her lm2 right now, but giving my main damage on hydra +19% earth damage was critical to getting my sub 30 time.

As I understand it, and in game seems correct, % bonuses from legend dive stack multiplicatively with gear/rm/enelement status. 20% damage is a big deal. Note that this only applies if you don’t have some moral objection to doing a partial dive.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

If someone dual casts, do they get the SB charge for both casts or just for one?

I know Lifesiphon doesn't Lifesiphon twice, but does it still count as two ability uses?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ceaselessfuture posted:

If someone dual casts, do they get the SB charge for both casts or just for one?

I know Lifesiphon doesn't Lifesiphon twice, but does it still count as two ability uses?

No, the second cast is pure damage or healing.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

way to go steve posted:

One thing to keep in mind about Maria is that, for the low cost of 40 spi/wis motes, you can pick up all her earth dmg% boosts and some extra mag on top. I wasn’t super impressed by her lm2 right now, but giving my main damage on hydra +19% earth damage was critical to getting my sub 30 time.

As I understand it, and in game seems correct, % bonuses from legend dive stack multiplicatively with gear/rm/enelement status. 20% damage is a big deal. Note that this only applies if you don’t have some moral objection to doing a partial dive.

I just did a partial dive on Edea because I just really wanted to be able to have a shot at consistently clearing Fenrir, especially before half price goes away.

Ended up getting a clear that finally gave me an Enkidu

No regrets!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

No, the second cast is pure damage or healing.

Ah that's a shame, I was hoping my Iris was going to get more charge faster that way.

What's the best way for non-wrath healers to gain SB charge that isn't Entrusting them?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

ceaselessfuture posted:

Ah that's a shame, I was hoping my Iris was going to get more charge faster that way.

What's the best way for non-wrath healers to gain SB charge that isn't Entrusting them?

There's no best way for wrath-less healers. You could give them Ace Striker/Battleforged to speed things along, or Knight's Charge/Lionheart if you think they'll be taking a lot of knocks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ceaselessfuture posted:

Healers with BSBs are often good candidates for TGCid's RM3. It usually lets them call the RW fast, put up one of proshellga, and then spam cures super fast until they get a SB gauge, at which point they can lean on burst commands.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

Healers with BSBs are often good candidates for TGCid's RM3. It usually lets them call the RW fast, put up one of proshellga, and then spam cures super fast until they get a SB gauge, at which point they can lean on burst commands.

I can't wait to try this. Gonna have to get some more eggs!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I used a second entruster (prompto) instead of curilla, and I still can't get a sub 30s clear on Bismark. (42~ seconds)

Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Here's my team comp:

Ramza (shout/entrust bot) (mostly RD)
Noctis (SSB bot) (half LD, enough for LM1)
Lightning (USB/OSB) (half LD, enough for LM1)
Prompto (wrath/entrust/USB bot) (3* dived)
Yshtola (heals) (half LD, enough for LM1)

Before using Prompto I had been using either alphinaud or curilla (ssb and USB respectively) and that worked well, but it wasn't exactly fast. (prompto is Complete, aside from RD/Legend Dive)

I am not really having much healing problems outside of unlucky crits or some random rng. I just am not doing enough damage fast enough.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Elephant Ambush posted:

Where Noctis SSB really shines is Jump Start fights. Hooooooooly poo poo.
Instant casts are fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRhn4fNw54

At 2:14 I mess with the order of my actions a bit. Because of FFRK's funny mechanics, Ramza goes first even though I chose his action last ("action ties" go to the character that was obtained the earliest, as Enlir explains here). Agrias and Orlandu would have another instant cast if the fight kept going, too

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I broke down and threw a pull at the VIII banner, to try and get a bit more ice.

2x Rinoa LMR

Good thing I have no other Rinoa stuff to make that pull even more completely useless.

I haven't gotten a single good pull with any of my renewal mythril so far. I think it's cursed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

iPodschun posted:

Instant casts are fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRhn4fNw54

At 2:14 I mess with the order of my actions a bit. Because of FFRK's funny mechanics, Ramza goes first even though I chose his action last ("action ties" go to the character that was obtained the earliest, as Enlir explains here). Agrias and Orlandu would have another instant cast if the fight kept going, too

What the gently caress lol. That explains some strange stuff I've seen.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I did a Belias vid too because why not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oCb3_nPzkI

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Aw yeah I got Ward's BSB. Glad to have something for the big softie. :kiddo:

I don't even care that he's not a great character and his burst is only decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god this Emperor MP fight

He's at like half and then he goes - counter-haste, Dispel, Slow that affects 7/8 people, multi-target attack spam

What even

• Locked thread