Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked this chapter and appreciate more context for chisaki because he's not had a whole lot of it. that should have happened a while ago tho. still think the super full cowl is a bit silly but w/e

Sub Harrison posted:

Chisaki's character is such a mess. How can he talk about the heroes' twisted side of justice but also explain his plan to double deal anti-quirk weapons for profit? Also his power is stupid OP and should just rip Deku apart.

However this is my favorite chapter of the arc because it's finally over.

I think he still has to touch the thing he wants to deconstruct. as has been said many times before, he works on a similar level to scar from fma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The only thing I can't tell is whether Deku is legit releasing steam from his eyes the way All Might does when he transforms, or whether it's a stylistic thing.

Either way it's cool as hell. It's not hard to follow a one-sided beating.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

I don't know--Ida is potentially ridiculously fast when he does that recipro-burst thing.

Iida needs a contraption that uses his movement to generate electricity that is then used to refrigerate his pipes so he can recipro-burst more often (isn't that basically what he asked Todoroki to try to do?).

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Vengarr posted:

The only thing I can't tell is whether Deku is legit releasing steam from his eyes the way All Might does when he transforms, or whether it's a stylistic thing.

Either way it's cool as hell. It's not hard to follow a one-sided beating.

My guess is that he's being destroyed and rebuilt incredibly quickly, and that's just a result of being in a state between life and death.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

chisaki is a dude that joined the yakuza after they were already trash, but is somehow obsessed with making the yakuza great again

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't see how Deku could punch Chisaki in the head at 100% without literally knocking his head off or at least pulverizing his skull/brain.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Ytlaya posted:

I don't see how Deku could punch Chisaki in the head at 100% without literally knocking his head off or at least pulverizing his skull/brain.

The pressure in front of his fist hits Chisaki before the hit can even attempt to connect.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SpacePig posted:

My guess is that he's being destroyed and rebuilt incredibly quickly, and that's just a result of being in a state between life and death.

I like the idea that its steam, though. You remember how he was always crying at the start of the series?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

JahRoo posted:

chisaki is a dude that joined the yakuza after they were already trash, but is somehow obsessed with making the yakuza great again

he cares because the boss saved him and chisaki wants to repay the debt

he's just also an insane monster

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Vengarr posted:

I like the idea that its steam, though. You remember how he was always crying at the start of the series?

Oh, haha. That's actually a pretty funny idea, and now I hope it's true.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not a fan of Overhaul's big monster form. It's a little too busy for me. Good chapter otherwise, I like seeing Deku kick rear end.

Poor fake Compress, crushed by a dragon lady.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

JahRoo posted:

Chisaki is a dude who somehow got it in his head that the Yakuza used to stride the world like giants, bending kings and generals to their will.

The fact that they've always been like they are now, doing illegal things for small time money and influence and being one part of a larger society, doesn't make any sense to him. His eyes are filled with dreams of a gilded era.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I thought this chapter was fine? Same with the last one.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah like the spread of Overhaul suddenly flying though the air in particular was pretty great. I actually kind of liked the Overhaul flashback for once, too. I do think this is probably the weakest arc so far, but I'm still enjoying myself.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The shocked awe the people watching have is pretty great as well.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Toga seemed impressed, at least.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If Overhaul had been given more development early on and this had been a couple shorter arcs (like some establishing arc for Overhaul where he and Shiggy work together on something, with Overhaul's past/plan being established there, THEN the hideout raid) I think this would have turned out better. Horikoshi seems to do better when it's broken up more.

Like the Lodge Attack and Bakugou Rescue are technically two separate arcs- complete with something of a breather between them but you could also take them as a whole.

That being said with the latest several chapters I'm fairly onboard now, with my only annoyances being what comes off like kinda sloppy storytelling and lack of development for important arc characters that I'm guessing has to do with Horikoshi basically dying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if nothing else, deku kicking overhaul's rock dragon into the air is gonna look cool in the anime

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

if nothing else, deku kicking overhaul's rock dragon into the air is gonna look cool in the anime
If we get enough seasons to make it to this I unironically think the Overhaul arc will end up being really good in the anime where it's kinda blah here.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I think the anime adaptation of this arc will definitely benefit from knowing in advance what happens, and possibly rearranging the order of flashbacks in a way that makes more sense. Will also help with some of the more frenetic fight scenes that can be sort of tough to follow in the manga.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of like the implication that Chisaki appears to think that Quirks are a disease and so people are better off cured of it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of like the implication that Chisaki appears to think that Quirks are a disease and so people are better off cured of it.
Technically he's not entirely wrong. Quirks make the entire world a gigantic powderkeg that WILL inevitably go off once some poor fucker gets a random mutation that makes him a walking nuclear bomb or spawns a phoenix force level psychic or that kid from Xmen that Wolverine had to kill because he emitted gas that turned everyone into flaming skeletons

Also ahhhhhhhhhhgggg this is apparently a real thing someone might be making :psypop:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like the vaguely swastika-shaped shadow on wall might's face

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The more I look at the number of punches Chisaki took to the face, the less convinced I am that he should be alive.

Also, I like how the bizarre tear streaks nearly recreate All Might's wacky hair.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

Technically he's not entirely wrong. Quirks make the entire world a gigantic powderkeg that WILL inevitably go off once some poor fucker gets a random mutation that makes him a walking nuclear bomb or spawns a phoenix force level psychic or that kid from Xmen that Wolverine had to kill because he emitted gas that turned everyone into flaming skeletons

Also ahhhhhhhhhhgggg this is apparently a real thing someone might be making :psypop:

Melenia looks very striking in manga form.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I don't think we really need another incest manga...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If Chisaki's motive were just to eliminate quirks due to a belief that they were bad for human society and resulted in excess violence and inequality (which is actually a pretty reasonable viewpoint), he would actually be a pretty compelling villain. But unfortunately his motive is, in fact, just really evil and terrible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I heard you guys were glad there was no bad fanart

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
4x weakness to rock, just make friends with Kirishima.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the anime adaptation of this arc will only be animated well, like naruto was for bits

it'll be trashy fun

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aurora posted:

the anime adaptation of this arc will only be animated well, like naruto was for bits

it'll be trashy fun
Here's to hoping that 1) Horikoshi doesn't die 2) Gets better and 3) The Next Arc Kicks rear end! Kampai!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurora posted:

it'll be trashy fun

The anime has been animated well the entire time.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

The anime has been animated well the entire time.

not sure why you think I disagree

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurora posted:

not sure why you think I disagree

Cause you just said it was not going to be for the Hassakai arc in the anime except for certain bits.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

all I said was that this arc would be animated well, like the best of naruto, but lack a good story, like naruto

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Aurora posted:

a good story, like naruto

lol

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

JahRoo posted:

I think the anime adaptation of this arc will definitely benefit from knowing in advance what happens, and possibly rearranging the order of flashbacks in a way that makes more sense. Will also help with some of the more frenetic fight scenes that can be sort of tough to follow in the manga.

They haven't been afraid to rearrange and add stuff so far so there's a good chance of this happening.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

:thunk:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aurora posted:

naruto, good like naruto

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
moves like naruto