Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Also they constantly pluralize Stormcast as Stormcasts and it drives me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Deleter posted:

Stormscast

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Deleter posted:

Stormscats

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Stormcastratii

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Thundercats

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

I'M THE STORMSCAT
Skibby dibby dibby

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

richyp posted:

Thundercats

Yesterday was Thundercats birthday.

I am excited for skeles.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rush finished some Skaven mans for an event tomorrow.

I had to kitbash up a Warp-grinder since it seems to be perpetually out of stock.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
skaven are rad and good

in contrast, stormcast were a mistake

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Never noticed during the pre-order phase but the Khorne dudes and Thundercats have warscrolls available for AoS on the shadespire box set page.

I figured they'd just be used as alternative models for Bloodreavers and Liberators but they're actual units with pitched battle points too.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

so what factions aren't gonna get squatted? skaven presumably since they're quite unique and have a trademarkable name. Chaos obvs.

i imagine there will be some kind of elves going forward, are delves and helves the same now lorewise?

i'm not sure about lizardmen since they got a kinda low effort early book with no new models afaik

empire will be replaced by whatever non-stormcast humans they end up putting out, tomb kings and brets are already dead

i guess eventually all the old lines will be binned so its kinda academic at that point

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

nopantsjack posted:

so what factions aren't gonna get squatted? skaven presumably since they're quite unique and have a trademarkable name. Chaos obvs.

i imagine there will be some kind of elves going forward, are delves and helves the same now lorewise?

i'm not sure about lizardmen since they got a kinda low effort early book with no new models afaik

empire will be replaced by whatever non-stormcast humans they end up putting out, tomb kings and brets are already dead

i guess eventually all the old lines will be binned so its kinda academic at that point

Lizardmen Seraphon are one of the few factions to get a full battle tomb codex thingy rather than just one of those ever shrinking lovely PDF's , so I think they'll be fine.
Pestilens got a book too, and the fact they made the Horned Rat a Chaos God probably means the other rat dudes will be fine.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Elf faction, much like they did with the Ball Dwarves which might cause the older ones to fade away.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

nopantsjack posted:

Ogre Kingdoms are safe IMO. Seems like most of their models are fairly new by GW standards. I fear that VC is slowly turning away from zombies altogether.

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 21, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

A persistent rumour is that there’s some sort of sea/pirate elf faction in the works. On the other hand just because a rumour persists doesn’t mean it’s not bullshit so who knows?

As for VC, no idea. They’re clearly doing something with Death in 2018 but no idea what. (Smart money’s on a Deathrattle Battletome but maybe Malign Portents will involve other stuff?)

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 21, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Man, if there's a new skelebook, I hope it comes with death models that are more sepulchar guard than morghast breakaparts.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

An elf pirate faction is another wrench into my plans of starting a new army. Its already hard to decide between Beastmen or VC, both are incredibly cool armies.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Midig posted:

An elf pirate faction is another wrench into my plans of starting a new army. Its already hard to decide between Beastmen or VC, both are incredibly cool armies.

A Moorcockian twist of the blade could manage for a Melnibonean theme. Ships, dragons, elite warriors and sorcerers, national raiding tradition, vicious infighting, and getting catastrophic comeuppance.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Midig posted:

Ogre Kingdoms are safe IMO. Seems like most of their models are fairly new by GW standards. I fear that VC is slowly turning away from zombies altogether.
funnily enough OK splits right into one army with the two fanciest most recent kits, a full codex/new lore for their AoS revamp and a start collecting set, and one with all the original decade+ old models from their launch and gently caress all support...

if squatting does happen it would make more sense to do it along the AoS faction lines than the WFB race ones too imo. Anyone with a battletome, a couple of recent/dual-use kits or reasonably reworked lore is probably safe. if you had to pick a faction for the block it would be Gitmob Grots, since they have no re-released kits, no faction allegiance or allies box, an average sculpt age of about 20 years and pretty cursory lore. Greenskinz are the same, although at least they get an SC box.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Do I just need the General’s Handbook 2017 to get into this game. I’ve got the Ironjawz skirmish warband box for the banner Ork and the Shaman for use in 40k proxying. I also have a lot of Daemons. I know I’ll need a battle tome or two. My wife accidentally introduced our friends’ seven year old to Games Workshop and now he’s obsessed with it (I told my wife I don’t push plastic crack on children normally but what’s done is done). I might end up getting into this game so he has someone to play with / guide him.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Gh2017 is p much all you need, even battletome wise only pure khorne and tzeentch daemons use one and Ironjawz one isn't a real one, all their allegiance rules and poo poo are in the latest GH instead.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Saint Drogo posted:

Gh2017 is p much all you need, even battletome wise only pure khorne and tzeentch daemons use one and Ironjawz one isn't a real one, all their allegiance rules and poo poo are in the latest GH instead.

Ah that's great to know, thanks. I loving love Tzaangor in 40K, and the thought of Tzaangors on Discs, backed up by swole buff egyptian cultist spam with moon masks on makes me excited. Plus it's an excuse to get a Lord of Change, and the magic bull thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

To be fair, you have to have a *very* high IQ to understand the Tomb Kings. The faction is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of skeletal physics most of the tactics will go over a typical players head. There's also Settra's expansionistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these characters, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about UNLIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Tomb Kings truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Settra's hierarchical catchphrase "Settra does not serve, Settra rules" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as GW's genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Tomb Kings tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the skellies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I do not recognize that pasta

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's a Rick and Morty thing. You aren't missing anything.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Milotic posted:

Do I just need the General’s Handbook 2017 to get into this game. I’ve got the Ironjawz skirmish warband box for the banner Ork and the Shaman for use in 40k proxying. I also have a lot of Daemons. I know I’ll need a battle tome or two. My wife accidentally introduced our friends’ seven year old to Games Workshop and now he’s obsessed with it (I told my wife I don’t push plastic crack on children normally but what’s done is done). I might end up getting into this game so he has someone to play with / guide him.

GHB has the points costs. Unit profiles can be downloaded from the store page for each unit if you want to just put x,y,z against a,b,c, and the full rules pdf is on bottom of GW site.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Each battletome also has points costs, but I think GHB17 is the most up to date.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

A persistent rumour is that there’s some sort of sea/pirate elf faction in the works. On the other hand just because a rumour persists doesn’t mean it’s not bullshit so who knows?
Since there is a Dark Elf faction called the "Scourge Privateers" I would assume it would be associated with them.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I would love to see a fleshed out elf faction soon, or a new undead faction. Either or

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

ooor that Nurgle book

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Injuryprone posted:

ooor that Nurgle book

Well yeah obviously I want nurgle too

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JcDent posted:

I do not recognize that pasta

It's about the deep and enriching fiction found in the latest warhammer age of sigmar TM novels.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
A few random thoughts from a newcomer using Shadespire as a springboard to try Age of Sigmar.

I've never played a wargame. The entirety of my Warhammer knowledge comes from video games, browsing miniatures on GW's site, poking around some of the lore wikis, and the Getting Started With Age of Sigmar magazine. I'm planning to build two very small armies of hte miniatures I'm most interested in painting, which can occasionally be pitted against one another in casual/narrative play.

Ironjawz and Dispossessed/Ironweld are right up my alley. If it's thematically goofy, I'm in. How could you not love gyrocopters, grudges, and idiots in half-eaten Tonka truck armor? The regular units and heroes all look great. I'm also a sucker for dwarven iconography, banners, and runes.

Those smaller warband/skirmish boxes seem like a good start for someone like me. The Weirdknob Warband and a box of Ardboys, bolstered by the Shadespire Brutes, give me three units and a hero. It's too bad there isn't a similar box for Dispossessed, or really any deal beyond Tempest's Eye.

Edit: Actually, I have a question too. I'm thinking about picking up an old WHF rulebook and a Dwarf army book for lore and fun pictures. Is there any edition that's particularly good for that, or should I just grab 8th edition if I can find it cheap?

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 27, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

A few random thoughts from a newcomer using Shadespire as a springboard to try Age of Sigmar.

I've never played a wargame. The entirety of my Warhammer knowledge comes from video games, browsing miniatures on GW's site, poking around some of the lore wikis, and the Getting Started With Age of Sigmar magazine. I'm planning to build two very small armies of hte miniatures I'm most interested in painting, which can occasionally be pitted against one another in casual/narrative play.

Ironjawz and Dispossessed/Ironweld are right up my alley. If it's thematically goofy, I'm in. How could you not love gyrocopters, grudges, and idiots in half-eaten Tonka truck armor? The regular units and heroes all look great. I'm also a sucker for dwarven iconography, banners, and runes.

Those smaller warband/skirmish boxes seem like a good start for someone like me. The Weirdknob Warband and a box of Ardboys, bolstered by the Shadespire Brutes, give me three units and a hero. It's too bad there isn't a similar box for Dispossessed, or really any deal beyond Tempest's Eye.

Edit: Actually, I have a question too. I'm thinking about picking up an old WHF rulebook and a Dwarf army book for lore and fun pictures. Is there any edition that's particularly good for that, or should I just grab 8th edition if I can find it cheap?

Older editions tended to have a lot of the doofer, more entertaining lore. It's worth grabbing them if you can get 'em cheap. I think there was a Dwarf sourcebook for WHFRP as well.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I just bought a skaven army and it came with the 6th edition Skaven book, and it's full of good stuff. It looks like the 6th Ed books are fairly inexpensive on eBay too.

also the best source for disposessed models is also going to be eBay unless you want that big Tempests Eye box

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

SteelMentor posted:

Older editions tended to have a lot of the doofer, more entertaining lore. It's worth grabbing them if you can get 'em cheap. I think there was a Dwarf sourcebook for WHFRP as well.

Thanks, I'll scoop up whatever I can find in that case. The covers of some of these older books are pretty amazing.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah I love the old codexes. They used to be a lot more comprehensive in terms of talking about painting and collecting too, super fun reads if you can find in paper or scanned.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Plus, the fluff wasn't that stupid.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Are you asking about the WH Fantasy Battles rulebook, or the WH Fantasy Roleplay rulebook? If WHFB, 6th/7th are pretty much considered to be the most solid editions of the game. 7th is very similar to 6th, but there are some tweaks and clarifications. 6th ed is the only time all of the races had their own army books, so it's a good edition to dive into. The 7th ed rulebook is compatible with 6th army books, so feel free to pick up either rulebook. 8th isn't bad for army books either - a lot of the armies are represented, and the background and art is good. 8th ed the game itself wasn't that great though, so I'd pass on the rulebook.

If you were asking about the rulebook for WHFRP, you just missed the Humble Bundle where they offered ALL of the WHFRP 2nd ed books for like $20 USD. That was a pure goldmine for learning about the Old World. If you can get your hands on the sourcebooks, they are spectacular. Cubicle 7 is relaunching the WHFRP game, so you might want to keep an eye out for that, if you're really interested.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have a good idea for stormcast head swaps that won't break the bank, preferably masks of some kind? I'm painting a second set of the shadespire guys and would prefer to give them some visual distinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have a good idea for stormcast head swaps that won't break the bank, preferably masks of some kind? I'm painting a second set of the shadespire guys and would prefer to give them some visual distinction.

De-chaosified Chaos Warrior/Marauder helmets?

• Locked thread