Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I only just got started playing a little bit ago. This game is charming af. I’ll probably never 100% it, but I am really enjoying it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a full list of the amiibo costume unlocks anywhere?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I've only played about an hour but this is GOTY right next to Breath of the Wild

Nintendo hit two grand slams in a system launch year

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Nintendo hit two grand slams in a system launch year
And with a good number of respectable first-party exclusives to round out the library. Seriously this has to be the best launch year for any console ever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, Metro Kingdom is a really great level. It starts really strongly and uniquely and it ends really strongly and uniquely and everything in between ruled as well. I got 40 orbs without needing hints or really having to search all that hard. I mean, New Donk City has high orb density but it's so fun to explore and there's side-areas everywhere. There's not even any real enemies or obstacles outside of a couple of moons. It's just a really well built map and cool place to explore.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dang, look at Bowser's modern, handsome new haircut

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Secretly the best part of Odyssey is seeing some enemies hair styles once their hats are off. I didn't even know Fire Bros had hair!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
God this is a good game. Like,yea no poo poo the game getting 10/10 reviews is good but goddamn it just FEELS good. I love Mario.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Just got to New Donk City and just had to take a picture before moving on.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Fun easter egg:

If you butt stomp on pipeels, you blast through and the pipe jingle plays twice as fast!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Odyssey feels kinda like Banjo Kazooie, if Nintendo were to just decide to make the best Banjo Kazooie game ever.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

widespread posted:

As Dan "I 100% Super Mario Odyssey Before The Release Date" Ryckert showed off in the Quick Look, You absolutely can and should.

How?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Man this game has an awesome Mario 64 feel. Like straight up nostalgia.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Odyssey feels kinda like Banjo Kazooie, if Nintendo were to just decide to make the best Banjo Kazooie game ever.

Every time I grab one of those flowers that make you run fast I’m expecting the tune to break into some Banjo Kazooie (I never last long enough to hear what it actually sounds like.)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

theres a guy you can talk to in the main building to repeat it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm running into an annoying confusion. In the early stuff it said 'snap your joycons to the side' to do a 360 hat toss but when I do that motion I just do a super toss straight ahead. Is there a trick or am I just dumb?

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
I've played for about 8 hours today (took off from work just for this), and I've got 92 moons and just arrived at New Donk City (not the secret entrance, either). I feel like I've left a lot of stuff undiscovered in the earlier levels, which makes me wonder just how large this game is. Not having a ton of free time, I was hoping to beat it this weekend.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Ok I guess I'm dumb, how the gently caress does Lakitu fishing work? I see the fish silhouettes, I cast my line near them, and they just bump it a few times and disappear. I can't figure out any way of enticing them into actually biting.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

"the moon is so pretty" ~ captain toad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CDHiggs posted:

I've played for about 8 hours today (took off from work just for this), and I've got 92 moons and just arrived at New Donk City (not the secret entrance, either). I feel like I've left a lot of stuff undiscovered in the earlier levels, which makes me wonder just how large this game is. Not having a ton of free time, I was hoping to beat it this weekend.

you can probably beat it as in get the ending over the weekend, but it's one of those 'post games tons of moons get added all over and there's a couple bonus levels' kinda things. Just take it easy and enjoy, there's nothing super special locked by progression, just more of the gameplay loop.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Mylan posted:

Ok I guess I'm dumb, how the gently caress does Lakitu fishing work? I see the fish silhouettes, I cast my line near them, and they just bump it a few times and disappear. I can't figure out any way of enticing them into actually biting.

Just by having the lure in front of them. If anything, it works almost exactly like Animal Crossing fishing except you can move the lure around.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Frankston posted:

I completed the storyline in about 13-14 hours, but I've still got about 600 moons to go and some kingdoms I haven't discovered yet. Game is awesome but I think BotW just edges it for GotY for me.

Also blitzed through the storyline. The end game so far is where it's at though - between the other kingdoms, including incredibly awesome Mushroom Kingdom stuff and all the hundreds of moons to get I'll be playing this for a while.

Tremendous game. I'd rank it below Galaxy for my favorite 3D Mario, but above Mario 64 in terms of pure joy.

Agree it is not better than Breath of the Wild, but that's in my top 5 ever now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mylan posted:

There are two distinct rumbles. One is a very light one, if you pull on that one you'll lose the fish. The other is stronger, pull on that one and you'll catch it.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Just finished the main game 5-6 hours ago

Game loving owns, but it's hard for me to decide if I like this or 3D World more

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn this game is fun. I've sunk a huge chunk of time into it now and it's easily exactly the sort of experience I'd hoped for and more. It's dense, relishing in uniqueness and somehow managing to communicate gameplay seamlessly and subtley. Like, it doesn't need to hold your hand, yet I don't feel nearly as lost or overwhelmed as similar 3-D platformer games can cause me to be.

The variety of levels has been fantastic so far, and the progression has been great -- Sand Kingdom sets a high bar that the game has thus far continued to top. This basically feels like the culmination of everything Mario has done up to this point. It echoes every incarnation while forging its own unique sense of identity. This game has revived a genre it basically raised and buried; I would not be surprised if we see an upswing of 3-D platformers again following this game. It's demonstrated that you absolutely can do this style of game in the next generation.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Pollyanna posted:

Just made it to the luncheon kingdom. How far am I from the end?

There are seventeen unique kingdoms in the game.

Luncheon kingdom can anyone jump across that line of stumps and make it look easy? Cause I was all over the place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I have a very important question.

When Mario jumps on one of those real-rear end humans, does he squish them like Goombas? Is there some Cronenberg body horror in this game?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

I have a very important question.

When Mario jumps on one of those real-rear end humans, does he squish them like Goombas? Is there some Cronenberg body horror in this game?

They are very resistant to being jumped on and you can actually spring yourself super-fast on their heads, so it's the opposite of how yo're thinking.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They are very resistant to being jumped on and you can actually spring yourself super-fast on their heads, so it's the opposite of how yo're thinking.

I'm very disappointed

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The 2D sections in this make me miss Mario Maker so much :negative:

Do you need to get all the purple coins in every world to get all the moons/is there a way to locate the ones you are missing?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 28, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Internet Kraken posted:

The 2D sections in this make me miss Mario Maker so much :negative:

Do you need to get all the purple coins in every world to get all the moons/is there a way to locate the ones you are missing?

The dapper Bowser amiibo (which is like the 5th amiibo I've ever bought and now the prize of my collection) highlights coins you've missed. Other than that, not really. Buy the guide?

Edit: oh and as far as I know no reward for all purple coins except being able to get every souvenir and costume.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

The dapper Bowser amiibo (which is like the 5th amiibo I've ever bought and now the prize of my collection) highlights coins you've missed. Other than that, not really. Buy the guide?

Oh poo poo, I'd almost shell out for that Amiibo just for such a feature.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm 130 moons in and just realized you can warp to flags

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just spent 2 hours in Cascade Kingdom trying to find everything.... still have more work to do.

So what triggers certain things in the worlds to show up? Like I'm exploring a place and clearly didn't see a door, then I got back and there is a door I can enter. WTF. Kind of makes me think you need to just defeat the boss or do the goals and THEN go back and explore? Feel like I explored this whole world like 3 times over

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just got to New Donk City and participated in the festival. Holy poo poo, it was one of the best things I’ve seen in a game. Direct homage to the origins of the series. Can this game get any better??

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I haven't had so much fun playing a game in a long time. I'm constantly finding little hidden things and cute touches that make me love the game more and more.

If you ever want to see what happens if you try to do a thing or go somewhere odd, do it. You'll find something. Every time.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 28, 2017

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this game is mario's take on soma

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Kelp Plankton posted:

I haven't had so much fun playing a game in a long time. I'm constantly finding little hidden things and cute touched that make me love the mlgame more and more.

If you ever want to see what happens if you try to do a thing or go somewhere odd, do it. You'll find something. Every time.

I've peeked in on a few twitchers playing this game and they found stuff I missed. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
What are everyones favorite dumb costumes so far?

Im a huge fan of the caveman and pirate ones. Caveman hat+Pirate body is great.

• Locked thread