Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Drunken Baker posted:

I can't believe I've been convinced to play a dang anime.

PYF little things in games: I can't believe I've been convinced to play a dang anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Drunken Baker posted:

I can't believe I've been convinced to play a dang anime.

Very occasionally, anime can be good?

I still can't believe it either.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I like the fact that when I tried to restart the game with the other girls included and not the real one they actually accounted for that and gave me poo poo for it, haha

Are you being facetious about this with "gave me poo poo?" I deleted the best girlfriend and started a new game, and Sayori killed herself right away and I had to reinstall.

Just wondering because there's so many little ways to see hidden content that you might have done something different from me and seen something else.
Which is definitely a PYF little thing in this game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should really be playing games like this with a controller anyway, and a wired X360 controller is pretty inexpensive. Some movement stuff doesn't translate well to buttons.
I've long since gotten a 360 pad but I've played through 2 and Brotherhood multiple times on KB+M with minimal issues. :shrug:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dewgy posted:

But that was cool! :mad:

I'm more talking about all the demigods crap they introduced after 2 and the rest of the series. Now it's just some specific named ancient people with specific named ancient macguffins and they're all boring.
I liked the Aliens Plot before they over-complicated it. Just keep it as humans were some slaves that fought back and the Aliens peaced out. They also took too long to properly implement Real-World missions into the games (Or hell, keep it as AC1/2 puzzle things).
The Evil Guys found where ancient Alien Weapon Of The Month is, oh noooo, let's stop them gang! would of been simple but still better than whatever Solar Flare crap and Evil Deities or something or whatever the gently caress they pulled out.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Dewgy posted:

I think AC1 had the best meta-plot out of all of them. The ancient aliens thing is a little goofy, but they handled it really well as being "someone in the past found some unknowable crazy technology poo poo" in the plot of it.

It's in AC2 and later they went balls to the wall with old gods and revealing the history, and it just sort of lost the charm. It was more fun when it was not only unknown, but unknowable. :(

The whole framing plot of AC is just bizarre in that it even exists. We didn't need some convoluted explanation for why violence existed in both Renaissance Italy and the Crusades. Those would have been pretty easy to accept without the Ancient Aliens or even Abstergo. You could have even kept all the crazy conspiracy stuff without them.

New Butt Order has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Oct 27, 2017

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Someone mentioned AC3 being bad, which I knew, but my gf wants to play another AC game after enjoying Black Flag. Is Unity worth playing, or Syndicate?
AC3 and Unity share the title of being the absolute worst in the entire series, but Syndicate was fairly fun and had some neat ideas. The writing is possibly the blandest I've seen in a while but other than that it's the best one after 4. Except maybe for Origins which seems to be getting good imperssions but hell that game better be real dang fantastic to excuse the laziest name in the universe, petty as I may be

e: As for thread content, Evil Within 2 has an unlockable stealth move where you just lock on to an enemy to silently sprint towards them for a quick stealth kill and it feels SO GOOD every single time. Especially after the first game where the stealth was the slowest paced stealth I've ever seen.

There's also an enemy type that doesn't die from a single stealth attack like most enemies, and I laughed my rear end off when I tried to corner stab one and the animation plays normally, but the enemy stays standing and the player character just looks at it in complete disbelief until freaking the gently caress out when it screams in your face

smuh has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Oct 27, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

AC2 still has the whole puppeteering control layout thing going on, so in that sense the controls aren't "fixed" though it's more of a hassle on PC in particular since the prompts are clearly made for a 360 controller. I think you have to be more specific about what you didn't like about the controls to get a clear answer though.

Specifically I don't like anything about the controls :corsair: Did they cut down on the number of buttons I have to remember to press to not die? If the answer is no, they didn't fix it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No the controls are terrible and insane but the games get progressively easier so it doesn't matter (they're just not good)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No the controls are terrible and insane but the games get progressively easier so it doesn't matter (they're just not good)

I tried out the newer game that was "free" on PS+ (I think it was called Black Flag) and I literally could not find the right button to allow me to climb up from the sea. I mean the ladder was right there in front of me but no amount of button-mashing would get me out of the big drink. I'm sure there was a help option somewhere but that should absolutely not be necessary.

(I quit, gave it one star, and went back to playing MGSV:TPP.)

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I love when games with auto-save let you manual save anyway. Off the top of my head, Batman: Arkham Knight, Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey all have this option. I started to play games before autosaves were the norm and I still feel a bit anxious when I end the session without saving manually. :sweatdrop: Batman gets additional props for telling you how many minutes ago your last autosave was.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Aithon posted:

I love when games with auto-save let you manual save anyway. Off the top of my head, Batman: Arkham Knight, Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey all have this option. I started to play games before autosaves were the norm and I still feel a bit anxious when I end the session without saving manually. :sweatdrop: Batman gets additional props for telling you how many minutes ago your last autosave was.

Yes. This is what kinda annoys me right now about Shadow of War. I'm never sure when or if the game is saving and what triggers the autosave, since it doesn't do what most games do and have a little symbol that a loading screen tells you "this is the auto save symbol". Or maybe I just missed it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

Yes. This is what kinda annoys me right now about Shadow of War. I'm never sure when or if the game is saving and what triggers the autosave, since it doesn't do what most games do and have a little symbol that a loading screen tells you "this is the auto save symbol". Or maybe I just missed it.

I fast travel when I want to save, because I know that triggers it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Somfin posted:

Holy ballsacks. Everyone who can stomach a jump scare or two in the service of some real bleak horror should play through Doki Doki Literature Club. I cannot put in words how clear and pure its message is.

Put your real name in when it asks for a name, it'll triple the effect in a couple places.

Okay, sorry to drag this back into the sunlight because we were basically done with it, but I need to make sure on this one.

How bad are we talking on jumpscares? Because everything else mentioned in all this is extremely my jam, but I'm phenomenally bad at jumpscares. I can handle the bleak ongoing, unformed dread of surreal horror that DDLC appears to have going on from what I've watched of VoidBurger's streams of it (it's a vibe I've been trained to handle by Doctor Who), and I know from minor spoilers it leans into some takes on the medium that worked well in a certain other indie game I really liked (Undertale), but for whatever reason it's jumpscares that knock me away from the horror genre more than anything else.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This Doki Doki game looks like something I'd have to play when my wife is on a business trip so there's no chance of her seeing me play a game about anime high school girls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jerry Cotton posted:

I tried out the newer game that was "free" on PS+ (I think it was called Black Flag) and I literally could not find the right button to allow me to climb up from the sea. I mean the ladder was right there in front of me but no amount of button-mashing would get me out of the big drink. I'm sure there was a help option somewhere but that should absolutely not be necessary.

(I quit, gave it one star, and went back to playing MGSV:TPP.)

All you had to do was hold forward unless it bugged out iirc, and it crashed on me twice, so that wouldn't really be a surprise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

Okay, sorry to drag this back into the sunlight because we were basically done with it, but I need to make sure on this one.

How bad are we talking on jumpscares? Because everything else mentioned in all this is extremely my jam, but I'm phenomenally bad at jumpscares. I can handle the bleak ongoing, unformed dread of surreal horror that DDLC appears to have going on from what I've watched of VoidBurger's streams of it (it's a vibe I've been trained to handle by Doctor Who), and I know from minor spoilers it leans into some takes on the medium that worked well in a certain other indie game I really liked (Undertale), but for whatever reason it's jumpscares that knock me away from the horror genre more than anything else.

Play the game, it's far more the former than the latter. The rare jumpscares have context.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Who What Now posted:

This Doki Doki game looks like something I'd have to play when my wife is on a business trip so there's no chance of her seeing me play a game about anime high school girls.

There is absolutely zero uncomfortable sexual tension in that way in DDLC. It will make you feel like a lot of things, but not a creep.

eta: Also I would say the jump scare level is like... 1/10. There is a little bit of it but it’s used in the service of the overall tension and anxiety.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Oct 28, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I fast travel when I want to save, because I know that triggers it.

Thanks. I've just been dominating intel guys cause I figured that would be a sure autosave trigger. Fast traveling is a lot more convenient.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, someone needs to take anime plots and apply them to a bunch of ripped shirtless dudes drawn like Greek statues. From this thread, there's a ton of money to be made using anime but making sure that everyone looks like Mike Haggar at the least instead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Man, someone needs to take anime plots and apply them to a bunch of ripped shirtless dudes drawn like Greek statues. From this thread, there's a ton of money to be made using anime but making sure that everyone looks like Mike Haggar at the least instead.
This is yaoi

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Also isn’t that Dream Daddy Simulator?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I am okay with this only if we balance the scales by having, for every Anime Recast With Men, a macho action game except all the characters are women.

For the guy about to suggest any fighting game, but probably Dead Or Alive: no, that's different. I want a Wartime Gritty Shootmans game but every character is a woman, with no change in story or dialog.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cleretic posted:

I am okay with this only if we balance the scales by having, for every Anime Recast With Men, a macho action game except all the characters are women.

Don’t act like that’s not something we all already want.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RyokoTK posted:

Also isn’t that Dream Daddy Simulator?

Yeah that's Dream Daddy.

Which is also an excellent game. Just doesn't get quite as meta as Doki Doki Lit.
It still does have a section where you and another dad brag about your daughter's achievements and the game renders it as a Pokemon battle.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Man, someone needs to take anime plots and apply them to a bunch of ripped shirtless dudes drawn like Greek statues.

Dragonball Z?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It's Jojo.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Yeah that's JoJo the anime about male supermodels having insane brain fights with band references.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Olive! posted:

It's Jojo.

Ah yes, the common anime plots: 'My friend turned himself into a vampire and that's a real loving problem' 'Goddamn Nazis- loving HELL VAMPIRES BEYOND VAMPIRES' and 'We have to kill the president and put Jesus' corpse back together'

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Are you really going to pretend those aren't a shitload of anime-rear end words you just typed

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RareAcumen posted:

Ah yes, the common anime plots: 'My friend turned himself into a vampire and that's a real loving problem' 'Goddamn Nazis- loving HELL VAMPIRES BEYOND VAMPIRES' and 'We have to kill the president and put Jesus' corpse back together'

Trap sprung.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bara, to be precise.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'll tell you what's not a "little thing" in games: the bodacious behinds of the babes of Overwatch! Even over a year after its release, fans are still talking about wanting to have sex with the "Overwatch", a team of women that shoot robots in a setting that's half hip hop and half Star Wars. Darth Vader, watch out! Tracy, May, and the robot known only as D.I.V.A. might be "on your six" ... like the fans are on theirs!

Back to you, Brian.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

I'd put it at a solid 2/10 on jumpscariness, but I'm a total wimp. Most of the time you're either prepped for it or you'll have been prepped for it by the rhythm of the game up until that point (what I'm saying won't make sense until after the shoe drops, you'll get what I'm getting at). It's much more an overwhelming sense of ongoing dread that the little moments of something going suddenly and violently wrong bring into sudden relief.

There's exactly one moment that is definitely and inarguably a jump scare but you get prepped for that one hard, and it's not a screamer-type thing, and it is apparently optional- only if you take the bait that the game is laying out for you. I played through the whole drat thing at 2 am and, while I was pretty tempted to shut it off at a couple places, I powered through and it was worth it.

Also, once it's over, it's over. There's a very real and clear finale to the whole thing. Once the credits roll, the story's done.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'll tell you what's not a "little thing" in games: the bodacious behinds of the babes of Overwatch! Even over a year after its release, fans are still talking about wanting to have sex with the "Overwatch", a team of women that shoot robots in a setting that's half hip hop and half Star Wars. Darth Vader, watch out! Tracy, May, and the robot known only as D.I.V.A. might be "on your six" ... like the fans are on theirs!

Back to you, Brian.

:yikes:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

We've received some viewer feedback on our Tech Talk segment on the popular computer game program, Over Watch. Brenda?

Thanks, Brian. What I meant to say was, there are women in the game with gigantic asses. I believe that's the style at this time. Brian?

It sure is, but you don't need me to

Oh stop it

Is this a private party or can

Speaking of watching over

That's Overwatch, Brian.

Here's our own "over watcher," Brad, with the regional forecast. Brad?

Ha ha well after seeing the watchover gals strut their stuff against the android army, I wouldn't say there's any danger of cold fronts coming in from the south! Ha ha but overnight lows are looking at about 48 so come on, bring your pets in.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pastry of the Year posted:

We've received some viewer feedback on our Tech Talk segment on the popular computer game program, Over Watch. Brenda?

Thanks, Brian. What I meant to say was, there are women in the game with gigantic asses. I believe that's the style at this time. Brian?

It sure is, but you don't need me to

Oh stop it

Is this a private party or can

Speaking of watching over

That's Overwatch, Brian.

Here's our own "over watcher," Brad, with the regional forecast. Brad?

Ha ha well after seeing the watchover gals strut their stuff against the android army, I wouldn't say there's any danger of cold fronts coming in from the south! Ha ha but overnight lows are looking at about 48 so come on, bring your pets in.

And in sports news, apparently I've gotta look at some nerd poo poo. Yeah, I know I'm live Kevin, gently caress off. Look, I came here to talk about football, not some video ga

WOAH would you look at those butts

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Somfin posted:

And in sports news, apparently I've gotta look at some nerd poo poo. Yeah, I know I'm live Kevin, gently caress off. Look, I came here to talk about football, not some video ga

WOAH would you look at those butts

That is very unprofessional broadcasting.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm not sure what you're doing, but please stop.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

RareAcumen posted:

Who better to draw like Greek statues than literal statues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something for Super Mario Odyssey;

When you do the Traditional Festival in the Metro Kingdom, stop and watch Paulina at the end; She has a whole dance routine for Jump Up, Superstar! :allears:.