Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

U.T. Raptor posted:

PYF Unnerving Article: I thought it was a different dead baby incident

^^
The Maryland story is the one I was talking about. I occasionally pass by that park and wonder how no one noticed it happening. There are houses facing the park across the street and it's a well-traveled street.

That mom was found not guilty by reason of insanity. I somehow don't think it's going to come to light that the people who left their baby to rot in the apartment had that excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Labes for days posted:

^^
The Maryland story is the one I was talking about. I occasionally pass by that park and wonder how no one noticed it happening. There are houses facing the park across the street and it's a well-traveled street.

That mom was found not guilty by reason of insanity. I somehow don't think it's going to come to light that the people who left their baby to rot in the apartment had that excuse.

Off topic but every time I see your username, I laugh

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Applesnots posted:

Quoting from GBS.

:staredog:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

U.T. Raptor posted:

Mods?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

It's a different world out there dude.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

U.T. Raptor posted:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Latest True Crime Japan episode, "The Sugamo Child Abandonment Case", https://soundcloud.com/truecrimejapan (sorry, no way to direct link to episode.

Japanese woman has a succession of babies, doesn't register them with authorities so doesn't send them to school, leaves them in apartment unattended. One day she abandons the five survivors (one died young and was carted from apartment to apartment in a plastic bag) entirely, just stops giving them food or money. Police find them, rescue them, send them to foster care, the mother is prosecuted.

When she gets out of prison the minor children are returned to her, because Japanese family law has no provision for severing maternal rights.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Japan has some of the worst criminal law and family law in the developed world, there's 3rd world dictatorships with better criminal justice systems and less kangaroo-like courts.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

U.T. Raptor posted:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Latest True Crime Japan episode, "The Sugamo Child Abandonment Case", https://soundcloud.com/truecrimejapan (sorry, no way to direct link to episode.

Japanese woman has a succession of babies, doesn't register them with authorities so doesn't send them to school, leaves them in apartment unattended. One day she abandons the five survivors (one died young and was carted from apartment to apartment in a plastic bag) entirely, just stops giving them food or money. Police find them, rescue them, send them to foster care, the mother is prosecuted.

When she gets out of prison the minor children are returned to her, because Japanese family law has no provision for severing maternal rights.
There is a movie called Nobody Knows that was inspired by or partially by this story. I watched it once, wept, and have never been able to watch it again. I really do recommend it though it's beautiful

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Speaking of dead babies...

quote:

On June 8, 1964, six-and-a-half months into her pregnancy, Gerri Santero and her boyrfriend. checked into a motel in Norwich, Connecticut, under aliases. Their intent was to perform a self-induced abortion, using surgical instruments and a textbook, which Dixon had obtained from a co-worker at the Mansfield school. However, when Santoro began to hemorrhage, Dixon fled the motel. She died, at age 28, and her body was found the following morning by a maid.

:nws: :nms: https://i.imgur.com/1tzx3qu.jpg

Surveys in New York City in the mid-1960s revealed the variety of methods used. Treatments women took by mouth included turpentine, bleach, detergents and a range of herbal and vegetable teas. Quinine and chloroquine (malaria medicines) were ingested, and potassium permanganate was placed in the vagina, often causing chemical burns. Toxic solutions were squirted into the uterus, such as soap and turpentine, often causing kidney failure and death. This was the technique used by Vera Drake, the protagonist of Mike Leigh’s 2004 award-winning movie. Insertion of foreign bodies was common and more effective than oral agents. Objects included a coat hanger, knitting needle, bicycle spoke, ball-point pen, chicken bone and rubber catheter. Some women threw themselves off of stairs or roofs in an attempt to end a pregnancy. As a young doctor, I removed a rubber catheter from the uterus of a woman with fever of 106 degrees. A dietitian in a nearby city had inserted the catheter through her cervix to induce an abortion. Physicians younger than me have not encountered these tragedies.

Decriptions of various deaths due to attempted at home/back alley abortions before legalization http://coronercasefile.pbworks.com/w/page/16511989/Abortion%20deaths

This, and many, many more stories similar were all put together in a nice big post in Imgur. That can be found here:
https://imgur.com/a/sdHPto, but is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Oct 31, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That drat Satyr posted:

This, and many, many more stories similar were all put together in a nice big post in Imgur. That can be found here: https://imgur.com/r/CrimeScene/sdHPt, but is definitely not for the faint of heart.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

That drat Satyr posted:

This, and many, many more stories similar were all put together in a nice big post in Imgur. That can be found here: https://imgur.com/r/CrimeScene/sdHPt, but is definitely not for the faint of heart.

I guess my heart is fainter than I fancied it, because, jesus christ i guess i'm just not sleeping tonight.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Killingyouguy! posted:

I guess my heart is fainter than I fancied it, because, jesus christ i guess i'm just not sleeping tonight.

Same, I’m a gore hound and I do NOT like that.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

I mean... yeah, it's bad. Just remember that post any time you read anything about people trying to make laws to prevent safe, easy to access abortions.

Honestly, as a woman who has had an abortion... yeah, I can see going that far if it meant not having a kid. Ich.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tendai posted:

There is a movie called Nobody Knows that was inspired by or partially by this story. I watched it once, wept, and have never been able to watch it again. I really do recommend it though it's beautiful

When this movie came out, my college Japanese department organized a theater outing to see it because "it's a Japanese film at the local theater, it's an enrichment opportunity!" The professors had... some regrets about that.

Never knew it was based on a true story, though. Brr.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

That drat Satyr posted:

Chicken bone? :eek:
That has to be the ghetto-est poo poo I've heard in a while. And how did the conversation leading up to that one go?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zopotantor posted:

Too late.:cry: That's some Wasp Factory level of horror.

PS Don't read The Wasp Factory either.

Do read everything else he's written.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

I read it because I felt I owed it to every woman who died. Every woman who was told it was her fault and she had to suffer and just... god.

I'm 3 months away from being sterilized myself because I know I would be like them if I ever got pregnant.

Those poor women...

Thank you for posting this.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

That drat Satyr posted:

Looks like that page has gone now. I'm.....kind of relieved, but morbidly curious also.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Chicken Doodle posted:

I read it because I felt I owed it to every woman who died. Every woman who was told it was her fault and she had to suffer and just... god.

I'm 3 months away from being sterilized myself because I know I would be like them if I ever got pregnant.

Those poor women...

Thank you for posting this.

Honestly, this echos my own feelings. I never wanted kids, and only after getting pregnant and subsequently terminating was I 100% sure kids were never going to be in my future. I had a tubal, then just two years ago ended up having to get a total hysterectomy because surprise endometriosis.

People need to know what it was like before we had laws that protect and regulate these things. It's heartbreaking to me that this exact thing is still happening right now in 2017 in countries where abortion is criminalized.

Vice did a really good short documentary on the situation in the Philippines, where women that miscarry are being locked up for murder and getting an abortion is sketch as hell.

https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/year-of-mercy/56d46b157c65e59c10557a30?latest=1

Rondette posted:

Looks like that page has gone now. I'm.....kind of relieved, but morbidly curious also.

Ha, well don't get too excited. It still seems to be up, only... The link changed or something?

https://imgur.com/a/sdHPto

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Tendai posted:

I knew the story was familiar, thanks

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

That drat Satyr posted:

Ha, well don't get too excited. It still seems to be up, only... The link changed or something?

https://imgur.com/a/sdHPto

Down again. Imgur apparently is not pro choice.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Down again. Imgur apparently is not pro choice.

Bleh, whatever. I still have the table open on my computer, I'll just c/p the drat thing here tomorrow when I wake up.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

That drat Satyr posted:

Bleh, whatever. I still have the table open on my computer, I'll just c/p the drat thing here tomorrow when I wake up.

Seems the original link is working fine for me. :shrug:

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
For a while now an Italian doctor has insisted on going through with the first human head transplant in December 2017. The volunteer was a guy with a degenerative nerve disease but he has backed out and now they're looking for a Chinese volunteer (this is to be done in China) to be done now in 2018. People are not sure quite yet if this guy is serious or if this is some sort of stunt.

So far, experiments done on animals have not gone well although there are Chinese and South Korea doctors who claim to have been successful with mice, with the mice walking and everything. Most animals, though, have had to be put down shortly after surgery due to being paralyzed or tissue rejection.

ETA: Reading about head transplants made me interested in other transplants and eventually to the Wiki article about artificial hearts where:

quote:

On December 2, 1982, Kolff implanted the Jarvik 7 artificial heart into Barney Clark, a dentist from Seattle who was suffering from severe congestive heart failure. Clark lived for 112 days tethered to an external pneumatic compressor, a device weighing some 400 pounds (180 kg), but during that time he suffered prolonged periods of confusion and a number of instances of bleeding, and asked several times to be allowed to die.

Well that's horrifying.

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Oct 28, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zopotantor posted:

Too late.:cry: That's some Wasp Factory level of horror.

PS Don't read The Wasp Factory either.

Wasp Factory is really good, read Wasp Factory

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Wasp Factory is really good, read Wasp Factory

Counterpoint: It was really good. But also still don't read Wasp Factory.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Isn't a Wasp Factory a Hive?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bean_shadow posted:

ETA: Reading about head transplants made me interested in other transplants and eventually to the Wiki article about artificial hearts where:

Well that's horrifying.
I was an adult at the time, and the slow downward track was pretty horrible. Needless to say, the press were *not* told that he was begging to die.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was an adult at the time, and the slow downward track was pretty horrible. Needless to say, the press were *not* told that he was begging to die.

I can't imagine how horrible it would be if a head transplant was moderately successful at first (the person was able to move) but the immune system attacks the head and rejects it. What happens if the immune system rejects the brain?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bean_shadow posted:

I can't imagine how horrible it would be if a head transplant was moderately successful at first (the person was able to move) but the immune system attacks the head and rejects it. What happens if the immune system rejects the brain?

Something awful forums posters usually.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Zombaby, all grown up.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bean_shadow posted:

freep is taking new users

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
It reminds me of the guy who received a penis transplant in China, and it totally went fine and there were no complications but he asked them to cut it back off because his new donger was just TOO AWESOME YOU GUYS NO REALLY I SWEAR

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

bean_shadow posted:

Auto immune encephalitis.

You don't even need a head transplant or a history of auto immune disease. I just started shaking like crazy one day, passed out in the ER and woke up a week later with permanent brain damage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought the immune system was excluded from the cerebrospinal fluid?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
I for one support the descent of the world into a sci-fi horror movie. I wonder when the first punitive head transplant will happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Not sure if a direct link is kosher here, but I just finished watching a documentary called The Drug Trial: Emergency at the Hospital, about the 2006 first-in-humans trial of a drug called TGN1412. It had been shown to be safe in monkeys, but due to a small difference in monkey's and humans immune systems, sent all the participants (aside from the placebo recipients, obviously) into multiple organ failure. Luckily the trial was being conducted at a hospital (which at the time was not a requirement) so the ICU they got rushed to was just downstairs. Everyone survived, though one participant had to have his fingers and toes amputated after they began to rot away.

The related articles section on Wikipedia led me to BIA 10-2474, in which a 2016 clinical trial did kill a man, and left others with permanent brain damage. The drug was an inhibitor, and they intended to test doses 80x what was necessary to achieve 100% inhibition of the target chemical.

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Oct 28, 2017