Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The chase continues!

Shadow on the Sand posted:

You hit the water and swim submerged until the pain in your lungs forces you to the surface. Sharnazim are running in every direction, trying to surround the quay and prevent your escape. Gulping another breath, you dive again and swim towards a cluster of small boats less than fifty yards away.

Through the clear blue water, it is easy to see the rubbish that litters the bed of the harbour; mementoes of all the merchant ships that have docked at the quayside. Clinging to one old anchor is a strange, jelly-like blob. A mass of short tubes sticks out from all its sides, and a long hook-like scoop hangs beneath its rubbery body. Without warning, the blob suddenly jets towards you, propelled by water from its mass of breathing tubes. It is a Bloodlug, and it is hungry for your flesh!

You use your Kai Discipline of Animal Kinship to force the creature away. The Bloodlug changes direction and jets towards a squid that has taken refuge in a large copper urn. You continue swimming but keep a watchful eye on the Bloodlug as it engulfs and devours the helpless squid.

You surface beside a covered skiff. Anxious to avoid the scavengers in the waters of Barrakeesh harbour, you haul yourself aboard and hide beneath the boat’s canopy of woven rushes. You are breathless from your swim, but you dare not make a sound; Maouk’s men are everywhere, racing along the harbour walls, their eyes searching the water for any sign of you. If you are to escape, you must think of something to divert their attention.

As you stare out across the harbour, you notice a large, white-domed warehouse near to the water’s edge. A platform on the upper floor overhangs a merchant dhow moored at the quay below. On this platform are several earthenware tuns: huge spice containers destined for the trading emporia of Ragadorn. You focus your attention on one of these tuns and concentrate all your Kai skill in Mind Over Matter into making it move. Sweat pours down your face from the strain, but you soon hear a distant crash that confirms your success. The tun has fallen and shattered on the deck of the dhow.

Maouk orders his black-clad troops to search the area, threatening them with death if they allow you to escape. You bite your lip and wait for a chance to run.

Creeping from one boat to the next, you reach a narrow flight of stone steps. At the top of the steps, beyond a small paved square, lies a maze of crooked alleyways that disappear into the shadows of the Thieves’ Quarter. You are less than twenty feet from safety when a cry echoes across the water: ‘There he is!’

You sprint along the deserted passage and climb a stairway into an open courtyard. The sound of hooves clattering on the cobblestones below urges you onwards. There are three possible exits from the courtyard: a high, nail-studded gate to the left; an alley to your right; and a straight, paved pathway that leads to an arch. You must make a quick decision for Maouk’s men are close at your heels.
If we had Tracking we'd get some useful information here, but since we don't we'll just have to guess which way is best. Will it be the gate, the alley or the arch?

Animal Kinship just helped us avoid a fight, but without Mind Over Matter we'd have had a 20% chance of being caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I'll take the alley.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Arch.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Gate

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Alley and hope its not a deadend.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The gate is on our left. Take the gate. :goleft:

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Go through the gate

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Take the studded gate. It sounds like it's higher up and if the Assassin's Creed games have taught me anything it's that gaining altitude is the way to escape.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Gate and lock it behind us.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mikl posted:

Gate and lock it behind us.

It might already be locked. So let's instead go down the alley.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

Take the studded gate. It sounds like it's higher up and if the Assassin's Creed games have taught me anything it's that gaining altitude is the way to escape.
I think the gate is tall rather than high up.

You twist the handle but the gate is locked. You are about to turn and run when suddenly the gate flies open: a man stands in the doorway. ‘Quickly, Northlander. I will hide you!’ The man steps back to allow you to enter.
Is this guy trustworthy? Do we go with him or turn around and head for the alley or the arch?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Trust the stranger. The new Zakhan isn't popular with everyone.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Go with him.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Go with him, since we've killed most everybody else who has done us wrong so far I think we can handle it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Sounds legit.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Go with him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The man slams the gate and draws the bolt. Seconds later you hear the footfalls of the Sharnazim as they rush into the courtyard. ‘Go inside,’ whispers the man, pointing to the darkened interior of his house. ‘I shall get rid of the soldiers.’

You enter the house and climb a staircase to a large airy room, which looks out over a marketplace. Long, black flags hang from the windows of a hall opposite, and the sounds of mourning can be heard through its open doors.

Your Sixth Sense tells you to beware of the man who helped you. He intends to betray you for a purse of silver.
Who said Sixth Sense never works? I suppose we should climb out the window. Or we could just stay here, I guess? I don't know why we're being given this option when we've basically just been told not to take it, but it's there. So which will it be?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Window.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks Sixth Sense!

GTFO via the window.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ha ha ha screw you, Judas! Out of the window we go!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Window escape! Quick, what's a heroic quote to use as we escape? Tell them we're from Police Squad? [Roll Credits]

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You know, Sixth Sense could have spoken up earlier. I hope that window ain’t locked.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Window.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"They're coming through the window! They're coming THROUGH THE WINDOW!!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You drop to the street below and run across the marketplace towards the hall. The building is full of people kneeling in prayer. You notice an avenue leading off to the right, which ends at an archway too narrow for more than one horse to pass. To your left, another alley leads down to the harbour.
Do we enter the hall, go through the archway, or take the alley back toward the harbour?

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Enter the hall! With camouflage we'll totally blend in with those praying people! Right? :ohdear:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I pick the archway. Narrow passages can discourage pursuit.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Head back to the harbour, it's the last thing they'd expect!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
we're a ninja, let's hide in the hall!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is this the same choice as before? Archway.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think we should go to the archway! Though I do wonder what happens if it turns out we're not one wolf, but two horses glued together? It could be a trap.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Is this the same choice as before?
It is the same archway, but the other two choices are new.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Enter the totally-not-a-mosque hall.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nonrev posted:

Enter the hall! With camouflage we'll totally blend in with those praying people! Right? :ohdear:
Well, surely the Zakhan's guards wouldn't disrupt the sanctity of a place of a worship?

You raise the hood of your cloak and hurry through the open doors into the dark, cool hall. The people are kneeling in front of a pulpit where a holy man, dressed in flowing robes of black and gold, reads aloud from a gem-encrusted book. Behind him, the face of the late Zakhan, immortalized in a tapestry suspended from the roof by huge silken cords, looks down on the mourners.

The congregation is rapt in prayer, and nobody sees you enter. The ceremony soon comes to an end, and you are able to slip past Maouk’s men as the mourners flood into the streets.

You enter a wide street where vendors compete for space for their stalls beneath the overhanging balconies. The market is crowded with people; they each wear a black sash as a mark of respect to their dead Zakhan, but here, unlike in most of Barrakeesh, business continues as normal.

You pass a stall festooned with black sashes, each costing 2 Gold Crowns. If you wish to buy a sash, pay the vendor and mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item (which you wear over your tunic). You hurry away from the stall and dodge into a narrow passage lined with eating houses and small taverns, where the smell of food is mingled with the odour of stale wine, and the air is alive with chatter and gossip. Your attention is drawn to a notice freshly pasted to a tavern wall. The bold headline reads:

THE ZAKHAN IS DEAD—LONG LIVE THE ZAKHAN
Two choices here:
  1. Do we buy a sash, or save our money?
  2. Do we stop to read the poster, or keep moving?
We currently have 42 Gold Crowns.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Read the sash and buy the poster.

Wait poo poo

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Do neither, keep moving.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We're flush with cash, buy the sash.

...and I can't come up with a suitable rhyme to say keep on moving. :eng99:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013